• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by mrl.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 2.4-2.5" tyres on 23mm rims?
  • mrl

Would this work okay? Looking at either magic mary or minions for an alps trip. And don’t really want to buy new rim. rims are wtb frequency i23. I like running low pressures, got away with ~20 psi last year on specialzed grid tyres but would like to try wider ones thus year. However I am not sure if they would sit well with low pressures. Any thoughts? Cheers.

Northwind

<edit, read post better>

It’s fine tbh, rim width once you’re past silly narrowness makes way less difference to tyre profile than most people think so as long as it’s a decently shaped tyre in the first place, it’ll be a wee bit rounder which can be enough to make the tyre work a little less well, but not enough to turn a good tyre bad. (nobody blinked at running 2.5s on a Mavic 721 a few years back).

bungalistic
    Free Member

I’ve ran the Magic Mary up front on exactly that rim and had no issues

poah
    Free Member

ran XR4 2.35 on 19mm rims without any issue

rocketman
    Free Member

I have some i23s and have used them with a variety of tyres.

Generally speaking for lightweight easy-rolling feeble-sidewall pressure-dependant kind of tyres e.g. Ardent/Nobby Nic 2.25/2.3 tends to be the sweet spot but (on the front) I’ve used 2.5 Minions and 2.4 Shortys. Obv both of these are narrower than stated but Shorty has a slight advantage over the Minion insasmuch the shoulder lugs are more forgiving and tend to absorb stuff that would otherwise be passed on directly to the carcass. A 2.35 Magic Mary Supergravityvertstar was also pretty good but had a lifetime measured in minutes.

If I had to choose I would go for a 2.4 3C wire bead Shorty. It’s the kind of tyre that stands up on it own and takes some of the load off the rims. On the back an HRII or an Onza DH 2.40 (the Onza is like a part-worn HR II) have both worked well for me

mrl

Thanks!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘2.4-2.5" tyres on 23mm rims?’ is closed to new replies.