Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 23c, 25c, or 28c tyres
  • scandalous
    Free Member

I am sure there was a thread about road tyre width recently – cant find it using the search box.

just about to put some slicks on the tripster. currently has 32c SB8s on it and goes like stink and is very very comfortable. Don’t really want to go to 23c but doing the C2C sportive in 6 weeks time and want to at least try and keep up with my friends!

will 28c really be that much slower at high pressure (100psi)?

Thank you!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

No.

Rorschach
    Free Member

25’s are ‘faster’ than 23’s*
    (* sort of true’ish)

IanW
    Free Member

I would put 28mm on a tripster, they’ll be more versatile than the smaller sizes and 99.9% of you keeping up or not will be in the engine.

mrblobby
    Free Member

And don’t run them at 100psi (unless you’re very heavy maybe.)

cloudnine
    Free Member

I’ve got conti GP4 seasons 28c on my tripster.. seems a good compromise between speed, grip, comfort and all round handling.

scandalous
    Free Member

28c for the tripster it is!

they are superb machines – cant get enough of mine!

on or off road – its a joy

cloudnine
    Free Member

^have an equal love of mine.
    Just looking to get a cheap 29er wheelset for off road adventures

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just put some 28mm Hutchinson sectors on my Tripster. Certainly fast enough and on poor roads, possibly more “efficient” than 25 as you’ll take less of a beating. My Tripster managed to hold its own at the start of the month against some time trail specific machines.

28s but only if you can get a good tyre in a 28mm version. A cheap 28 will be worse than a high end 23mm.

saladdodger
    Free Member

as onza dog says

28s but only if you can get a good tyre in a 28mm version. A cheap 28 will be worse than a high end 23mm.

Try Rutland cycles I just got some Giant branded tyres 28mm kevlar bead for my Kaffandbak ride so smooth yet fast

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/1294/tyres.aspx#&&Yvx7+4T9YIttE3JrTdaGj4+GveP9+vmjKsybheCvRnEDWDEAHERyAgxZgQcOtPTVcgHpHCtmrBT2EFHevYeMmQcbbN82IS2a6HFiPY

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I also run 28mm Hutchinson Sectors (tubeless) on my ti commuter/trainer. Not cheap but I’m liking them so far. Otherwise, if you want clinchers, GP4Seasons are good and cheaper.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

was in my LBS at weekend and they said you will be able to get Conti GP4000S in 28mm very soon

smurfly13
    Free Member

This was my other thread recently
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/28c-to-23-or-25c-would-i-notice-the-difference

General consensus was conti gp4000s in any size!!

drovercycles
    Free Member

GP4000S IIs are coming in June in 28mm. For now you can get plenty from Schwalbe (Durano good for puncture resistance, ride quality, and longevity, Ultremo ZX for something racier) or Vittoria.

And definitely no need to run them at 100psi, nor would your rims thank you for it. The whole point of wider tyres is that you can run them at lower pressures with less risk of pinch flats, which leads to more comfort and lower rolling resistance (assuming less-than-perfect tarmac).

The only slight disadvantage is weight, but a good 28c tyre can weigh less than a cheap 23c. And despite the weight, the other advantages almost always outweigh this.

We sell next to no 23c tyres now, 25 for roadies and 28 if they’ll fit.

will
    Free Member

Still using 23s on the race bike and 25s on the commuter/winter bike.

Michelin Pro 4 Service Course btw.

somafunk

Using 28mm Clement Strada LGG (120tpi) on my Tripster ATR and I’m mighty happy with them, I couldn’t say if they are better than any of the others mentioned above but for the past year or so for bimbling about on/off road I’ve been running Clement X’PLOR MSO 40mm (120tpi) and X’PLOR USH 35mm (120tpi) without so much as a puncture so I have high hopes for the road tyres.

emanuel
    Free Member

ultremos 28mm or the new One 28mm.
    l

mattsccm
    Free Member

Current research and pro use has to a great extent pushed new tyre buyer towards 25mm. No good reason to go below that. Go up if you can get good tyres. I can’t feel any lack of speed between my 25mm Michelin pro 4 service course and my Challenge 30mm Strada Bianca. The latter are much smoother though. Rim width affects things. Mine are on 19mm inner widths.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I have the Giant 28mm tyres mentioned. At the weekend after 50 miles I was struggling to keep up with guys I’d normally stay with on the best bike. So it was either the 28mm tyres versus everyone else’s 23’s or 25’s, or the bike being about 8lb more than my usual road bike.

I’d go 23 or 25.

tom200

I have the same tyres on 2 bikes, one 23mm one 25mm and I can’t tell the difference. I went slowly with both!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘23c, 25c, or 28c tyres’ is closed to new replies.