Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 2.35" Hans Dampfs don't fit
  • SaxonRider

Or at least they don’t seem to. I was in a rush this afternoon, and tried to fit a pair of brand new Hans Dampfs to my bike, only to find, on first examination that they’re too big. My 2009 Big Sur doesn’t seem to have the clearance for them.

On the other hand, the one on the rear also seems a bit wonky, so I’ll have a check to make sure it is sitting properly on the rim.

I will have to verify this tomorrow, as I didn’t have time to look too closely, but if it is the case that they are indeed too big, would anyone like to buy an unused pair for a 26″ bike? 😐

mcnultycop

2.35 Hans Dampfs are massive.

SaxonRider

Yep. I love a good wide tyre, but I wish I had have known before I bought them.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    asdfhjkl
    Free Member

SaxonRider – Member
    Yep. I love a good wide tyre, but I wish I had have known before I bought them.

Tyre size database: http://www.reifenbreiten-datenbank.de/

jambalaya
    Free Member

Have them on my Covert and they fit fine and I like them, used them in Alps this year in all conditions. If you’ve not thrown the boxes away you could try and send them back. I could make you an offer but I have a bit of a pile of 26 tyres already. If you do want to sell drop me an email.

poltheball
    Free Member

Might be interested if you’re selling, although they’re a pig to get on my current rims. Rims will be changing soon though!

Email if you’re selling: poltheball at hotmail dot com

Cheers
    Paul

sweaman2
    Free Member

You’ve dodged a bullet in my opinion. I’ve torn the side lugs off two sets of Hans dampfs this sumer. Minion DHF

Northwind

They’re pretty much the size they claim to be. Fairly tall I think which is maybe what gives them their orrible profile. They seem big for a 2.35 because we’re so used to tyre sizes being made up bullshit.

But, they are not very good. A hard use, knobbly tyre like that, which deals so badly with sticky mud, and doesn’t really shape up right unless you put it on a wide rim, no ta.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Dampfs have their limitations. They were never designed for mud. It’s pretty obvious if you look at the tread that they aren’t going to clear well, and they don’t

Dissing a tyre for not performing outside its design envelope sends a bit weird.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

They don’t really perform well in any environment. Then all the knobs start falling off.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Mine have been brilliant apart from the mud issues.

iain1775
    Free Member

Hob Nob – Member
    They don’t really perform well in any environment. Then all the knobs start falling off.

You maybe need to change your forum name if you’ve lost your knobs, Hob no Nob

nuke

Love mine and never lost a knob…but then I run Pacestars, thought it was the Trailstar folk who were knob droppers

angeldust
    Free Member

This won’t make the OP feel any better, but I’ve been using 2.35 Hans dampfs (trail front, pace rear) in the lakes for the last 2 weeks (on a 2015 Stumpjumper FSR) and have been blown away by their performance. They were fantastic on wet rocks, and on the mud I encountered (which was light by the standard on my home trails (Chilterns)). No knobs lost so far, in fact considering how rocky some of the trails were, they are holding up really well. I’m running tubeless btw.

Also, they measure up about the same as my other Schwalbe or Maxxis 2.35 tyres.

Northwind

Scienceofficer – Member

Dissing a tyre for not performing outside its design envelope sends a bit weird.

A little mud should be within the capabilities of any knobbly tyre- it is for all of the competition. And for dry riding you’re better with something faster.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Unless it’s a supergrav the casing is woefully weak on the HD and I’ll never use them again after seeing £40 wasted on a tame first ride

andybrad

Just started running them on my five and although they are different ( very round) to my trail kings I’m impressed

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

I’ve being trying the trailstar in the peaks and I’m pretty impressed on wet rock
    This on the front and a nic on the back has broke appears presently to be working very well and it may of well broke my 10 year alliance with maxxis

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

A little mud should be within the capabilities of any knobbly tyre- it is for all of the competition. And for dry riding you’re better with something faster.

Yes, and IME they do handle a bit of mud, just not the thick sticky variety, where there tread is a bit busy to leave clearance channels. There are plenty of tyres in the same boat really, when it comes to clay.

They are certainly better on a wider rim though, but what isn’t?

thesurfbus
    Free Member

My 2.35 HDs measure 2.5 on a Stans Arch rim

gelert
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with the Hans Dampf tyre IMO for most of the year. In TS form it’s a great front tyre. It doesn’t fit on the rear of a Five though (too wide) but fits fine on the rear of an Alpine. My rims are 24 and 25.5 internal.

In really thick mud they do clog. In icy conditions they were excellent last year where other tyres had failed miserably (High Roller II).

The side knobs can be damaged on extremely rocky trails but if your riding is mixed the life is as good as any other soft compound tyre and I’ve seen 3C ones go the same way just as quickly.

I change tyres quite a lot. Hans Dampf were my last year’s favourite. I’ve now moved on to a Magic Mary up front and a Minion DHR II at the rear. Both of those are much better at clearing mud but we’ve not had any ice yet (I think they’ll be ok though).

I’ve not had a sidewall split on a Hans Dampf. I did burp one once. I’ve only had sidewall problems with two tyres so far. A Maxxis AdVantage LUST (after 650 miles) and a Maxxis DHR II TR EXO (after 450 miles).

The Hans Dampf TS SS is a good front tyre IMO. Quite cheap too. £27 from Germany.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’ve got 3 Hans Dampfs on the go at the moment (F+R), although 2 of them are likely to be binned shortly due to sidewall cuts. I’ve had them on the go for a couple of years and like them a lot. I think they work better as a front tyre than a rear, but they’re really too big to be used on the back sadly (on my bikes).
    Never had any knobs ripped off like some, but then Im not particularly hard on tyres.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of the Hans Dampf – for me they pretty much do what they say on the tin and work well in most conditions. They’re a piece of cake to set up tubeless, mine had lasted pretty well although once the tread strats to tear the performance drops off quickly. I found a trail star front and pace star rear worked well. I’ve only had one tear riding carelessley at Kirroughtree. But they’re sured BPW, CYB, the Peaks etc.

I’m now running Trail Kings on my Switchback for more clearance. They seem to suffer from tread teraing too.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

They don’t have the most aggressive edge compared to, say, a maxxis DHF, and I do find that this is where they tend to wear first. The inside edge starts to erode which undermines the block and they get quite unpredictable and squirelly in the turns.

It takes about a year for this to happen for me. For a TS front and a PS on the back.

Of course, I can live with a slightly lively back end, and to a degree a slightly ‘live’ front end in the dry, but right now I’m waiting on a magic Mary for steering duties, since the afore mentioned sticky mud on Mendip is to much for the Dampf now the weather has turned.

I like big tyres. One of the reasons I moved on my mark 1 Solaris was so that I could get a bigger tyre in the rear. On its replacement, -a 2Souls Quarterhorse, I’ve no tyre issues with the Dampf on a 30mm internal width rim. Still snakebiting the damn thing though.

gelert
    Free Member

I’ve experienced the squirmy rear end on the Hans Dampf too. It can feel like you’ve got a puncture. I’ve experienced the exact same feeling on the DHRII though but under different trail conditions.

It is true that once the outer knobs do tear on the inside the performance does begin to degrade faster. Most noticeable when used as a rear.

I also found that the Hans Dampf works best in full dry or full wet. It doesn’t really like the in between condition when it’s just a little wet after dry for instance. I had a few odd front slide moments on innocent looking flat rocks mid-summer (when it had rained before my ride or though dark damp wooded areas that never died) due to this. Upgrading to the Magic Mary TS up front seems to have solved the issue at race pace and added other benefits too. It could have been rider error too. I’m still learning how to go quicker.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘2.35" Hans Dampfs don't fit’ is closed to new replies.