Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 2.3" tyres on a plus bike?
  • dirksdiggler
    Free Member

Here’s something I’ve not seen questioned.
    I’ve a friend looking at a new bike, Spec Rhyme Comp 650b.. the spec is a bit weak but the Rhyme comp 6fattie addresses all the spec concerns, but.. perhaps the plus tyre thing is a leap too far for her.
    I ride a 120mm plus tyre hardtail and its actually stunningly capeable.

Theoretically could she run regular 27.5 tyres? This would drop the unsagged BB height to approx 300m if 27.5 tires are mounted.
    Could you even mount a 27.5 tire on a 30mm rim without a messed up profile?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

From the reading around…
    27.5+ is about the size of a regular 29″

As with anything, I suggest your friend gets on a bike and tries it.
    Select the “Test the Best” in the features to see where you can get on one, one of the big benefits of the non mail order brands is you can get your hands on the bikes before parting with cash

kerley
    Free Member

I can’t see any issues with running a 2.3″ (roughly 58mm) wide tyre on a 30mm rim, in fact it makes more sense than running them on a 21mm rim that I have used for the last year.
    In theory the wheel would only be 5mm smaller radius too so can’t see the big deal with that.

However, I would just use the + tyres (or at least try them out first if possible as Mike suggested)

z1ppy

From the reading around…
    27.5+ is about the size of a regular 29″

Not always the case, as in the Sonder Transmitter 650B+
    The Transmitter is designed for a 2.8 in rear B+ tyre. This has a diameter of 729 mm at maximum size for manufacturing tolerance. This clears the seat tube by the ISO required 6 mm, at min tolerance. A 2.25 in 29’er tyre has a diameter of 747mm. So it isn’t going to fit. Of course a skinny 1.9 in 29er tyre will fit, but so what? It’d not really ride the way the frame is meant to be ridden.
    Linky

Though the Sonder Broken Road, will take a proper 29er.. so not a cut and dry option

BadlyWiredDog

Have you considered fitting really big 650b tyres, like 2.8″ or 3.0″ – just choose ones that don’t have the ‘plus’ thing going on.

scotroutes

BadlyWiredDog – Member
    Have you considered fitting really big 650b tyres, like 2.8″ or 3.0″ – just choose ones that don’t have the ‘plus’ thing going on.

Eh?

BadlyWiredDog

Eh?

I thought that was pretty clear. The OP’s friend thinks ‘the plus tyre thing is a leap too far for her’, I suggested an alternative solution.

scotroutes

What do you think a Plus tyre is and do you have an example of a 2.8″ or 3″ tyre that doesn’t “have the Plus thing going on”?

BadlyWiredDog

What do you think a Plus tyre is and do you have an example of a 2.8″ or 3″ tyre that doesn’t “have the Plus thing going on”?

Can’t be that hard to find one, after all a standard Magic Mary is apparently near enough the same size as a 2.8 Trailblazer on a Scraper rim. A lot of this is semantics. Or I guess you could fit 26″ wheels with genuine plus-sized tyres to get similar results.

Rubber_Buccaneer

perhaps the plus tyre thing is a leap too far for her

perhaps she should give it a go before dismissing the idea? I took a 650b+ Scott 710 out at a demo event this weekend and loved it, no problems with weight, drag etc but excellent at rolling over roots or up the sides of ruts without much of a care

taxi25
    Free Member

Can’t see any point buying a + bike and not riding it as such ?? If + is a “leap to far” just get something else.

noltae
    Free Member

Semi skimmed fat bike ..

Northwind

Rims at least will be fine- 30mm isn’t really a plus rim at all by a lot of people’s standards, it’s a kind of weird spec choice normally. But the difference in height etc will be a taste thing.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

Shes coming off an 8 year old 26″ Norco, so it could be a big psychological change.
    Anyway, she’s ridden a bunch of demos and found the absolute best bike fit to be the Rhyme. That’s hugely important of course but the 2016 Rhyme comp is spec’d like a 2014 bike. The 6fattie would retain the frame fit, but get 2016 component spec.
    I’ve told her to keep an open mind and to go and ride one if she can.

In theory the wheel would only be 5mm smaller radius too so can’t see the big deal with that.

This is what I was looking for, how did you get to this? 2.3 tyre sits taller due to the wider rim profile?
    Per Mike, I know that 27.5+ is almost 29″ ( I have a set of 29″ wheels for my + hardtail for race day)

kerley
    Free Member

This is what I was looking for, how did you get to this?

Just a rough estimate based on a 2.8 tyre versus a 2.3 tyre. 0.5 inch is 12mm so 6mm. Assuming the tyre is fairly round in profile then the difference in width is not far from the difference in height.

Not going to be exact as depends on exact tyre shape and size but won’t be far off and even if 10mm that is not really that much is it?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘2.3" tyres on a plus bike?’ is closed to new replies.