Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 2.3 Maxxis Tyres and Wide Rims?
  • enigmas
    Free Member

Replacing a battered set of flow ex’s with some Easton arc 30’s at the moment. For the last few years I’ve ran a 2.3 minion dhr2 on the rear and either a 2.4 High Roller 2 or 2.3 Shorty on the front depending on conditions.

I’ve read a lot about how the 2.3 maxxis tyres don’t play well with wide rims, especially the dhr2 which squares off to the point where the side knobs apparently touch the ground when going in a straight line!

Anyone had experience with wideish rims and maxxis tyres? I was hoping to go for a 2.4 minion dhr2 WT on the back but mud clearance would be minimal (mega am 275). Any other similar tyres that work well on wide rims?

woodster

A 2.4 WT DHR II isn’t that big of a tyre. Mine fits in the back of my Codeine where a 2.3 Vigilante won’t.

andyg1966

I’ve got 2.25 and 2.4 Ardent on ARC30, no issues at all.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I run a 29er 2.3 DHR2 out back on a 30mm internal width rim without too much of a problem, but I do find that the sidewall is slightly more exposed and tends to suffer more little grazes and cuts from rocks than it does when I run the same tyre on the other bike which only has a 23mm internal rim. I certainly wouldn’t go any wider.

rocketman
    Free Member

I’ve read a lot about how the 2.3 maxxis tyres don’t play well with wide rims, especially the dhr2 which squares off to the point where the side knobs apparently touch the ground when going in a straight line!

Indeed and comparing a 2.5 WT Shorty with a 2.4 standard Shorty the most obvious difference is that the WT has shallower shoulder lugs so it maintains a rounded profile on a wider rim.

Call me Mr.Cynical but other than this they look like the same tyre

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘2.3 Maxxis Tyres and Wide Rims?’ is closed to new replies.