Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 22T inner ring for 10 speed Shimano M780 XT c/set
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

Hi,

My M780 XT c/set comes with a 24T granny ring, and I want to swap it out for a 22T, just to make climbs easier when bikepacking

Trouble is, I cannot find a 22T ring for the M780, and thought I would ask in case anyone has found one or I can use another Shimano model ring instead?

Thanks

jimw
    Free Member

Another might fit (not tried it myself) but the 32 middle has ramps matched to 24t so may not lift up to large ring very well if you do find one. If you do make it work I’d also be quite interested!

AlexSimon

They make an XT chainset with 22t, so I’m surprised you can’t find the inner.
    A quick google suggests that people have put on a 9-speed 22t with no problems.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Cheers chaps. JimW has spotted the potential issue here. I could try the M782 22T inner ring, but the ramps on the middle ring might make shifting up the gears problematic.

I suspect the M780 is the same spider design as the M782 and I could try the 22T inner ring and if it does not work well I could then replace the middle and outer ones as well

flatfish
    Free Member

9 speed 22t granny and 10speed 22t granny are the same part.

u02sgb
    Free Member

I think the 9 and 10 speed 32t are the same part too. I’ve got a 22t, 32t working find with 10 speed on 2 bikes (22t are both 9 speed, one deore steel one XT alu). I think when i was looking for a 10 speed 32t I found the Shimano model number was the same for the 9 and 10 speed. Didn’t recorded that anywhere to back it up though!

Not noticed an issue with shifting anyway.

bigyinn
    Free Member

flatfish, no they arent. I’ve got two SLX ones and there are subtle differences in the design. Nothing significant though.

dirtydog
    Free Member

flanagaj – Member

Cheers chaps. JimW has spotted the potential issue here. I could try the M782 22T inner ring, but the ramps on the middle ring might make shifting up the gears problematic.

It will be fine, just get a steel Deore ring they’re cheaper and will last longer than M782.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-deore-fcm530-triple-chainring/rp-prod19103?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom&gs=1&gclid=CPLgo7XBkMACFWT4wgodygUAzQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘22T inner ring for 10 speed Shimano M780 XT c/set’ is closed to new replies.