Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 2.25+ tires on 19mm rims?
  • nordofjura
    Free Member

Anyone running tires wider than 2.25 on rims with 19 mm internal width? I’m using shimano mt66 wheels with nobby nics 2.25 right now and fancy something fatter. Your oppinions please?
    Thanks!

nordofjura
    Free Member

Anyone running tires wider than 2.25 on rims with 19 mm internal width? I’m using shimano mt66 wheels with nobby nics 2.25 right now and fancy something fatter. Your oppinions please?
    Thanks!

I may have to add that shimano doesn’t recommend it … and they would be run tubeless.

alexpalacefan

I run 2.35 Nevegals on Mavic 717 rims. Never had a problem.

APF

Northwind

Rims vary in other ways than size, but Mavic recommend the skinny 717 for up to 2.3. And I have a 2.5 on a Stans Olympic 😉

kimbers

2.4 chunky monkey on my 717s and no prpblems

nordofjura
    Free Member

Alright then, I’ll give it a go with some ardents 2.4 or something like that. Cheers guys!

smiff
    Free Member

yer i dunno, i got used to Flows and yesterday back on 717s (same tyre size) cornering didn’t feel right at all BUT that could be pressure, tread, carcass or several other things. get wider rims if you can afford it they just feel better with any tyres imho. or try yours, nothing really bad will happen, the tyres might just roll (sideways) more than you like. also maybe more likely to get pinches or in extreme cases roll off but unlikely if you keep pressure reasonable (but then bigger tyres want lower pressures so you’re back to wanting wider rims).

ardent 2.4 is a really big tyre btw but yeah try it.

nordofjura
    Free Member

well, my el mariachi would be a slim fat bike then, right?

i’ll try it, that gives me another months to raise the funds for some wider rims.

rusty90
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2.4 Rubber Queen on a DT Swiss 445D rim, which is only 17mm internal. Nothing bad has happened (so far).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘2.25+ tires on 19mm rims?’ is closed to new replies.