• This topic has 16 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Yak.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 21mm internal width rims?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

On 2.1s or 2.2s?

Looking at the WTB KOM i-21 they list it as a road/CX 700c rim. Is that too narrow to be optimal for 2.2s? I run 2.1s at 25psi now and I think my rims are 24mm internal width.

kelron
    Free Member

I’m sure you could. 19mm internal was common for ages.

Any particular reason you want to though?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes but in the old days we were running 45psi.

I am seeing how light an alu 29er wheelset could be. Having said that it’s only 40g extra for a pair of i-23s.

richardthird

I think my Crests Mk1 are 21mm intl. Run 3 sets with 2.35-2.4″ tyres tubeless low pressures nae bother at all.

Mind you Crests Mk3 are now much wider and much lighter, so these.

nickc

nah, makes sod all difference really.

hatter

Road rims will actually often be heavier as they have to be reinforced to hold high pressure tyres.

Try some light MTB XC racing rims.

chakaping
    Free Member

Totally fine. Using 21mm internal rims with 2.3in tyres here, for XC purposes.

vincienup
    Free Member

Weren’t old Flows 21mm ID?

Plenty of people have put 2.35 Dampfs on 19mm Mavics without dying. You may not get the shape you want but I doubt 2.2’s will roll off 21mm rims unless they’re flat!

Yak

I’m still on 21mm’s with 2.3″ tyres tubeless. All fine. But given that the current crop of alu xc rims are getting wider, I would probably go a bit wider. 40g extra on the rim is naff all given that a reasonable (not race-day) xc tyre is going to be about 700g.

molgrips
    Free Member

Try some light MTB XC racing rims.

Such as the WTB KOM i-23 as mentioned in the OP? 🙂

Not worried about rolling off and dying btw – more about squirm on corners.

hatter

I said ‘light’ the i23’s are a rather porky 440 grams each.

You did say weight was a priority.

molgrips
    Free Member

I said ‘light’ the i23’s are a rather porky 440 grams each.

So what’s lighter and not £300 a wheel?

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh.. wow.. Crests are only 364g in 29. Didn’t realise they were that light.

hatter

See 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Crests, Sapim Lasers and Hope Pro 2 would be what.. mid 1500g range. That’s about 300g under what I have now. Tyres could be lighter too, that would make the bike much more racy. Then I just need a 1x drivetrain, swap my racy saddle on and it should be about 25.5lbs.

Sorry, I seem to have merged the light FS thread and this one.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I was concerned about my relatively new carbon rims on my 2015 Trance that only measure 21 Mm.

Just mounted a 2.35 mary and it sizes up spot on

As others have said, I ran mark one flows with 2.3 tyres at around 22 psi no problem

The only thing I would say however is, if buying and I had an opinion I’d definitely go wider as there is little reason not to.

Yak

I have 2 identical wheelsets. One with sapim lasers and one with sapim race. The lasers are noticeably twangier. For the small weight increase, I would stick with race.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘21mm internal width rims?’ is closed to new replies.