Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 2.125 tubes in 2.3 tyres
  • DavidB
    Free Member

Will it work? LBS claimed it will (no 2.3 tubes in stock) but last night the valve pulled out of one of the tubes.

clubber
    Free Member

It'll be fine.

Waderider
    Free Member

This question is just posted to take the piss out of all the folk that post silly questions, right?!

steve_b77
    Free Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, they will be over stretched due to the extra 0.175" and you may well cause a tear in the space time continuim and we'll all die!!

TheBrick
    Free Member

There is a risk it could give you aids, but if you wear a condom you should be ok.

DavidB
    Free Member

You can all take the piss but I am suspicious about the pulled valve. I'm convinced the extra 0.175" was responsible

clubber
    Free Member

Just bad luck.

rootes1

so much variability in the actual dimensions of tyres compare to what is written on the side doubt it makes it any difference

clubber
    Free Member

My 29er is fine with 26" inner tubes…

TheBrick
    Free Member

Some people are convinced that a man who had a schizophrenic episode is a prophet.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I use Ritchey 1.75 tubes in all my tyres – 2.3 Eskars and 2.3 Chunders. I also tend to run at around 28-30PSI, so not exactly high pressure. Although I haven't had any trouble from pinch flats, my neighbour's uncle's brother's flatmate's cat disappeared about three weeks ago. I attribute this terrible loss to running tubes which are intended for smaller volume tyres.

DavidB
    Free Member

I get a weird nervous twitch everytime I surf STW these days.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

More to the point, why does it seem to be impossible to get the 2.35 Presta tubes fitted as original to my Orange? They are obviously made, but not available as aftermarket, even the Kenda importers don't do them.

DavidB
    Free Member

Because 2.125" will be fine Orange Crush as everyone keeps telling you

grittyshaker
    Free Member

The pulled valve is most likely down to running too low tyre pressure. Learned this lesson myself not too long ago.

fisha
    Free Member

i've ran the smaller 2.1's in 2.3's for ages and any punctures have been thorns, and not valve issues.

it should be fine.

maxray
    Free Member

I've got a 1.5 in my 2.1 at the mo. It was an emergency trail repair I have neglected to sort.:)

Northwind

I used to use super-skinny Schwalbe XXlights which are 100 grams in the first place and rated for 2.1, then used those in 2.35s so stretched an already thin tube even thinner. Never caused the slightest bit of bother, so if that works then it should work fine with any sensible, quality tube.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It depends on your rims. If your rims are wide it can affect the integrity of the tyre sidewall when the tube is fully inflated. Some tyres are OK depending on their porosity. Also, don't use thin red rim strips because the over stretched tubes can press into the spoke holes and burst under load. But this is worse with DT swiss spokes.

You could buy new wheels. These crank brothers wheel are a snip at £700: Cobalt XC wheels

grittyshaker
    Free Member

Really DavidB, it's very likely to be too low tyre pressures. I'd not ridden my FS for ages and didn't notice that I was running my tyres at very low pressures. MAYBE compounded by narrow tubes & fat tyres. This caused the tyre to slip on the rim under heavy braking and rip off the valve. I felt a right tit once I sussed it out. This after changing rim tapes from insulating tape. Pumping the tyres to a decent pressure sorted it though the bike shop showed me a nifty trick of putting washing up liquid on the beads which goes sticky once the tyres are pumped up. Strange but true.

steve_b77
    Free Member

What about if say for example you put 2.35" tubes into 1.8" mud tyres, eh eh

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

😉 Sorry, I'm in a funny mood.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘2.125 tubes in 2.3 tyres’ is closed to new replies.