Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 2.1 Surround Sound Systems – worth it?
  • letmetalktomark

Afternoon All,

Looking into the above as sadly lounge layout does not lend its self to a full 5.1/7.1 etc surround sound system.

I’m guessing the answer will re re do the layout of the room 😮 but sadly its not possible 😡

Currently using just the TV speakers, have tried a stereo hi-fi but the down mix wasn’t great – Muted vocals.

Any thoughts?

Cheers 🙂

Milkie
    Free Member

Isn’t 2.1 Stereo with a Sub? Thats not surround!

I use the stereo and TV speakers, just put the volumes at the right levels. If you want perfection pay for it and buy a proper sound system for your TV.

molgrips
    Free Member

Diagram of the room please! I bet there’s a way.. I’ve grappled with this often.

Bimbler
    Free Member

I’d say no. I’ve been running 2.1 since an experimental room rearrangement, the rears and centre aaren’t connected and I’ve found the setup sounds better with the AV amp pushing stereo rather than DPL, Dolby Digital etc. Having said that stereo+sub>>>>TV speakers.

molgrips
    Free Member

Surround is a bit of a mixed bag often, since most films etc seem to have nothing significant on the surround track apart from the odd effect which makes you think someone’s at the door or something. Actually detracts from the film rather than being immersive.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

+1

mboy
    Free Member

Isn’t 2.1 Stereo with a Sub? Thats not surround!

Exactly!

Better stereo speakers and amp would be preferable to rubbish cheaper speakers and a sub IMO.

Of course a proper room layout, and a surround system to fit the bill (some of them are really small, and designed to work in tiny little rooms) would sound better in terms of the “cinema” experience.

Cougar

What you need to do for 2.1 surround is get two small children to hold a speaker each and run to the back of the room at the correct moments.

Decent stereo speakers are hugely better than the TV. Add a sub if the stereo speakers are weedy. The next step up is to add a centre speaker which, with suitable processing, will tie the dialogue to the screen. The rear speakers are just for effects.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘2.1 Surround Sound Systems – worth it?’ is closed to new replies.