Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • 20yrs of service with my employer….UPDATE
  • Raindog
    Free Member

You know what Woody, you’re right, and I stand corrected. What I should have said was I have no guaranteed pension, and was not bright / lucky enough to commit to a career that would allow me to retire after 30 years of service. I wish I had. I do, do course, have a Company pension, to which I contribute 5% and my employer adds another 8%. I think I’m correct in saying that fire service employees contribute 11% for their final salary scheme. Again, I wasn’t having a pop at the OP as such, just pointing out that actually there are many of us who wish we were in a similar position.

DarrenH

Well done sir,
    Tip of the hat!
    We don’t even get a pat on the back for 20 years service at our place…

Woody
    Free Member

Problem is Raindog, that the demands of the job largely relate to the pensionable age. Police, fire and my lot (ambulance) have at times, highly physically demanding requirements and the anticipated age to ‘go out to grass’ has to take that into account, bearing in mind that not everyone can, or wants, to rise to the dizzy heights of a desk job during their career.

I for one do not relish the thought of having to lift a 25 stone munter patient down several flights of stairs at 65, never mind 67 or 68. The cumulative effect of constant lifting, often in awkward situations, takes it’s toll and a very high percentage of my colleagues have back and other injuries which means they will be lucky to reach that age before being being forced to take early retirement, or even sacked.

It’s not all rosy 😉

billyboulders
    Free Member

Well done Sir…Twenty years is good going and you do a fine job.
    My jobs crap and my employer of the last 20 years is a git! (I’ve been self employed all that time 😉 )

deviant
    Free Member

Woody makes a good point, how many 60+ year olds will be physically able to do the work of a fire fighter, paramedic or police officer…actually any job that involves a fair degree of physical work?
    For people in these careers who have moved on from front line work and are sat at a desk then its not so much of an issue but how effective (really) is a 65 year old fire fighter going to be?….or a 65 year old beat bobby?….almost comical isnt it when you think about it?

Got no probs with people in these jobs being pensioned of earlier than most.

Raindog
    Free Member

Woody, what’s your point ? All I said in my first post was “these are the benefits I get at 5, 10 & 20 years”, and contrasted our different pension schemes. I then congratulated and thanked him. In my last post I made this clear, explaining that I was merely illustrating the position I am in vs the position the Op is in. I also explained that I would, given my time again, like to be in the position he is. At no point have I said that his job is easy, or that he should be entitled to anything less that that which he hopefully enjoy in terms of benefits. For what it’s worth if I am off sick more than twice in any rolling twelve month period I will get a final written warning, if I’m off four times I will almost certainly be sacked. This rule would, I’m told, apply even if I were 65 and suffering from a debilitating or terminal condition.

sm
    Free Member

bruneep, I’m no good at the fancy words so all I can say is Thank you to you and your colleagues!

sturmey
    Free Member

After 25 years service I may actually get the carrot that is constantly dangled in front of me.

sm
    Free Member

Why can’t you all stop the whole “all I get/got” “me me me” little world you live in and give congratulate this guy. I’m sure in twenty years he will have shown more bravery than the rest of us put together.

Woody
    Free Member

Woody, what’s your point ?

[quote]Apparently after five years with my employer I get a pen – after ten I get some whisky glasses, and after 20 years a decanter (why anyone would want any of these as a long service gift I can’t imagine). What I don’t get is time to run a business on the side like most firemen I know. [/quote]

A snide dig, tends to put a different perspective on any following ‘thanks’.

You’ve made your point clear now, so that’s all hunky dory 😉

Drac

Congrats!

I got my long service medal almost 2 years ago now so nearly due the additional one. I was well chuffed, not sure where it is so no pic.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

We had a guy refused his medal as they said that him throwing a rubber chicken at the firemaster during a fire board meeting re. a station closure didn’t equate to ‘good conduct’ 😀

Northwind

I’d think that after 20 years as a fireman you’d get quite good at avoiding and dealing with flames?

For 10 years service in my last job I got laid off, which actually was pretty much ideal, shame it took so long really 😉

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

Oh, sorry, I nearly forgot!
    Your job’s better than my job! Think yourself lucky you double jobbing, free pension getting slacker!

That’s what we do here isn’t it? I’m harder done to than you!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo&sns=em[/video]

ciderinsport
    Free Member

My last job gave a long service award after 5 years! It was a weekend break to my european city of choice!
    I think that might show how shit the job was – I was the only one to qualify that year…. from 900 employees 😯

Then I was ‘removed’ 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘20yrs of service with my employer….UPDATE’ is closed to new replies.