Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 20mm thru axle to qr dropout conversion kit
  • coopercarcocal
    Free Member

Hello,
    i have just designed and developed a conversion kit to convert a 20mm thru axle fork using pinch bolts to qr dropouts
    I have put this product in the seller section but i’m using this as a chance to get my product out there
    A full advert and details can be seen at: http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/903301/
    Any questions and comments can be answered either through pink bike or email
    on_fire90@hotmail.com

Thankyou
    Callum

rob-jackson
    Free Member

What’s the point of this

blaggers
    Free Member

Is it technically a QR if you have to bolt it in. Isn’t it just a 9mm bolt through adaptor?

BenjiM

What’s the point of this

I have 2 bikes. One with a regualr QR and one with Maxle (although maxle isn’t comaptible at the moment) It would be handy to be able to swap wheels over without the need to need to change tyres etc. Handy also if you bought a new bolt through fork and didn’t have the funds to buy a bolt through wheel, perhaps.

toys19
    Free Member

cruzheckler – Member
    What’s the point of this

It is typical STW to take anything that anyone has done and pour unconsidered scorn over it.

OP well done, useful for some I am sure.

rocketman
    Free Member

Handy also if you bought a new bolt through fork and didn’t have the funds to buy a bolt through wheel, perhaps.

^^ this
    Got some Society forks a while back that came with an adaptor like this. Very useful.

mactheknife

cruzheckler – Member

What’s the point of this

Pretty standard answer from you there cruzheckler.

^^ pretty handy for some people ill bet..

honourablegeorge

Probably not impossible to make it Maxle compatible too – just thread it on one side.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

mac – shut up, its a valid Q, why when you have huge stiff 20mm forks would you want to run it with a spindly 9mm wheel?

vinnyeh

This is good. No use to me, but a good idea and a lot more inventive than the usual idea of rebranding Taiwanese parts.
    Hope you sell a few, sort out maxle compatibility and maybe come up with a few other good ideas.

vinnyeh

mac – shut up, its a valid Q, why when you have huge stiff 20mm forks would you want to run it with a spindly 9mm wheel?

Not everyone can afford to replace fork and wheel set at the same time.
    You trash a 20mm wheel, but you’ve got a spare qr wheel- you’re still mobile.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

fury muff

warpcow
    Free Member

its a valid Q, why when you have huge stiff 20mm forks would you want to run it with a spindly 9mm wheel?

You may as well ask, “What’s the point in reducer headsets?” Yeah, you have a point about stiffness, but when there are so many different ‘standards’ coming in and out all the time, adapters like these fill a very useful function.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

First thought on seeing post was bike forum being spammed to promote trader. But its such an original simple genius idea I say chapeau and if you do a 15mm version and can crack the maxle market you deserve to reap the rewards!

michaelbowden

Yup if you can do this for 15mm Maxle Lite, I have a spare pair of wheels!

fourbanger
    Free Member

actually just what I need so I can order new 20mm forks, run the old wheels why I build a new 20mm wheel. sweet.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

A better question would be if you have sorted it with Mark, Chipps and co. to put a trade ad on the forum.

I’ll have 10pence that you haven’t.

toys19
    Free Member

TBH I cannot see how he is making much/any profit ..

coopercarcocal
    Free Member

Ok so a wild veriety of comments…

Basically it is as vinnyeh and benjim said it just offers a wider compatibillity.
    I have had some questions about stiffness but due to the captivated skewer design it is like using a smaller thru axle, offering far improved stiffness over the standard QR.

Currently for maxle systems the bushes would need to be pressed in, and thus pressed out again for removal. As this is not a practical solution i am currently developing a kit to get around this problem.

As for 15mm axles as i only have access to 20mm forks i cannot design it as yet but as there has been interest in this i will also focus on this market

just to clarify i’m a 22 year old engineer, with ideas for problems i’ve come accross when out on my bike, not some spammer or business man trying to make it big
    un helpful comments are not welcome, you know who you are…

cheers and keep the suggestions coming!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

toys19 – Member

TBH I cannot see how he is making much/any profit ..

At£30 a pop?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘20mm thru axle to qr dropout conversion kit’ is closed to new replies.