Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 20mm bolt-thru axle stuck. HELP!
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

Fox 36, regular axle, stuck in the fork so can’t take the wheel out. Any ideas? I don’t want to be posting it with the wheel attached to Mojo 🙂
    Please, anybody?

coatesy
    Free Member

I presume you’ve undone the axle clamping bolts first.

Hairychested
    Free Member

The bolts are taken off, I’ve losened the thread-in bit, the non-disc leg moves a tag whilst the disc-side one is solidly attached/immovable.

TheSanityAssassin

Could be knackered wheel bearings holding it in place? I’ve had the same problem with a Ringle hub on my Z1s. New bearings fitted and it’s back to normal every time. I change the bearings at the first sign of play now – I mean, I wouldn’t be able to get the wheel off if I puncture on a ride otherwise.

Doesn’t help you remove it though. I’ve found that inserting a rod longer than the axle (a long screwdriver) and a few encouraging smites with a plastic hammer have always got the bugger out in the past.

Hairychested
    Free Member

The wheel is brand new – Pro II etc. I tried tapping it on the other side with a hammer but to no avail. Right now I’m hoping GT85will losen ot up.

bent_udder
    Free Member

Plusgas?

You could try supporting one dropout with the bike on its side and tapping the other side to break any water lock or corrosion. Or you could ship it to Mojo so they can amuse themselves.

Hairychested
    Free Member

The bike wasn’t even outside the flat so I don’t know why it got stuck 🙁
    Mojo will love it if there is no solution overnight.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

give it a good thwack with a hammer

bent_udder
    Free Member

+ 1 for posting it to Mojo.

Or give the job to TF Tuned, and they’ll forgive you for a packet of biscuits. They’re exceptionally partial to bribery of that stripe. But no Haribo, mind – the vegetablarians on the workforce can’t eat it.

Dango
    Free Member

I had this happen before, last resort for me was to get the largest flat head screwdriver I had, hammer it into where the allen key goes and then got some moles grips on and twisted, needed a new axle, but the old one was a bit crappy anyway, good luck

Hairychested
    Free Member

The allen key cap got undone without any effort. Should I screw it back in?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

screw the allan key cap partly in and hit it! It will be stuck in the bearings inner races. I am assuming if you continue to tighten the end cap the whole axle is rotating but not pulling out.

TheSanityAssassin

Screw it back in, but not all the way – leave a small gap. Get busy with the plastic hammer. If it moves, unscrew a bit more and repeat. Eventually you’ll run out of thread – that’s when you need the big, flat-bladed screwdriver to finish the job with.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I have whacked it a few times and… sweet FA! Only the allen key bit is knackered.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I superglued the allen key cap, twisted it and it’s out! Thanks for your laughs and “moral” support 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘20mm bolt-thru axle stuck. HELP!’ is closed to new replies.