Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 2018 Rockshox lyriks 170… Dead spot and sitting lower
  • jaketurbo
    Free Member

Hi

I know there are similar threads but I’ve been given advice by tftuned which I don’t think is correct.

I have some lyriks I sent to them for a full service. Since getting them back, they sit about 5% into the travel with nobody on the bike. They didn’t before… Tftuned insist this is because from the factory they have too much grease on them and the transfer port is often blocked, meaning they sit higher.

Not sure I buy that.

Also, there seems to be a dead spot of about 1cm at the start of the travel where you can push the fork down with limited effort and no rebound/minimal rebound to lift it up.

I’ve tried the zip tie trick. Also tried a lower leg service and also taking the air shaft out and cleaning the transfer port. I reinstalled with the shafts fully out… Also tried pulling the lowers to unblock the port/transfer air.

Still the same.

Tftuned insist this is normal… Is it? Or should I be sending them for warranty?

I’ll post a pic or two when I’ve got them hosted somewhere.

jaketurbo
    Free Member

Dead spot means it can sit this low

jaketurbo
    Free Member

jaketurbo
    Free Member

1st photo – it can sit this low with nobody on the bike due to the dead spot in the travel.

2nd photo – typically where it sits with nobody on the bike.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I don’t know but … does it matter how it performs with nobody on the bike?

Presumably the non-existent person won’t mind. Or will they?

jaketurbo
    Free Member

Ha, very good.

My concern stems from the loss of travel – i.e. when the fork extends into bumps/holes etc. Not just the 5% but the dead spot.

Maybe nothing to worry about, if not great. Just wondered if it was normal.

cyclelife
    Free Member

The “dead spot ” is normal on lyriks mine sit about 8-10mm into their travel with a light touch on the bars. Mine are 2016 170mm and have been to TF 3 x for services each time I’ve noted the issue and questioned it. Don’t worry about it, TF know their stuff.

Get the 180mm air spring or 170mm coil conversion if you can feel the loss of 8mm trace.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Non standard seals, those don’t look flangeless.

jaketurbo
    Free Member

Yep they are the push seals I believe. It is what TFtuned put on by default. I

Is that a problem?

jaketurbo
    Free Member

“The “dead spot ” is normal on lyriks mine sit about 8-10mm into their travel with a light touch on the bars. Mine are 2016 170mm and have been to TF 3 x for services each time I’ve noted the issue and questioned it. Don’t worry about it, TF know their stuff.”

Great. Thanks 🙂

jaketurbo
    Free Member

<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 12px; background-color: #eeeeee;”>Get the 180mm air spring or 170mm coil conversion if you can feel the loss of 8mm trace.</span>

In terms of changing the air spring, is it just a new airshaft or is it a whole new air assembly?

I’ve done this on Fox 36’s before where it had extra parts / removal of parts from the moving section that fits over the shaft.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Seals arent an issuei but they are taller.

steel4real
    Free Member

The non-standard seals aren’t going to be functional issue BUT if I was having a Rockshox fork serviced, I’d expect Rockshox parts. The standard RS seals are SKF which are pretty good.

And yes, the flanged seals they’ve fitted are taller so influence your view of the sag a little.

The line they told you about the grease blocking the transfer port is sort of true, but if yours was blocked before then it would have hindered the performance so yes a bit of BS to fob you off as well.

Has put me off TF a bit has that and the choice of non-RS seals.

steel4real
    Free Member

P.S. Travel change just requires the air shaft (if remaining as air spring)

As you’ve already dis-assembled the fork to check things, it reads like you could have done a DIY service yourself !

jaketurbo
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply. I think I may purchase a 180mm air shaft.

The only thing I hadn’t done previously was a charger damper service, hence the reason I sent it to TFtuned. Having had a good look at things now both in terms of the air assembly and the damper, I think I will be doing all fork services myself in future.

Cheers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘2018 Rockshox lyriks 170… Dead spot and sitting lower’ is closed to new replies.