• This topic has 48 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by euain.
Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • 2018 Pike
  • mindmap3
    Free Member

The issue is that one cannot have any confidence that the standard won’t change again shortly, nor is it clear if “standard width” will continue to be available and so on. This makes buying a new bike problematical unless you have a crystal ball.

That’s the issue.

It wasn’t that long ago (end of 2014) that I made the change to hardtail frame with a 142×12 rear end which is now supposedly on the way out. Even boost has another version on the way if boost20 gains traction.

I know that that things have changed a lot over the years but it was threaded BB’s for as long as I can remember, stuff like the taper headtube is at least backwards compatible with old forks with the right headset and even chainrings were 104mm four bolt for ages.

The likes of SRAM are so damn big that once they back something, it gets rolled out.

Northwind

greyspoke – Member

Bigger wheels and fatter tyres are becoming popular (for good reasons) and that does pose some problems.

It doesn’t, though. I have a set of 29er 36s that’ll take a 3.0 650b or a 2.6 29er without even trying. Boost hubs actually make no difference at all to the crown arch shape and spacing, that’s independent of hub width.

As for wider hubs for stiffness… There’s other ways to achieve that without turning fork standards upside down. Taller flanges, better wheel builds. Most manufacturers didn’t care about this stuff til it had a catchy slogan to make it easy to sell. In fact the trend towards straightpull hubs means that a lot of boost wheels will have smaller flanges which works counter to the triangulation of boost. And many Plus wheelsets will still be flexy because of the parts chosen and build quality (of course the blurb will say “stiffer because boost”

(my 29er wheels are varying stiffness because of the parts I chose- but tbh my everyday wheels could do with being less stiff. All on oldschool hubs.)

greyspoke
    Free Member

The fact that problems can be overcome doesn’t mean they are not problems. Eliminate the problem and there will be the chance to make things lighter, stronger and cheaper.

barbs
    Free Member

Got mine, they aren’t 2018 model so going back. Obviously too good to be true!

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member

Boost hubs actually make no difference at all to the crown arch shape and spacing, that’s independent of hub width.

Does make a difference on Pikes – the boost pikes are visibly wider at the crown, I slightly regret not going boost when I had the chance.

chiefgrooveguru

Does make a difference on Pikes – the boost pikes are visibly wider at the crown, I slightly regret not going boost when I had the chance.

Yes but it isn’t because of the wider hubs, it’s just a response to the larger tyre trend.

Northwind

Yup, exactly. Pike tyre clearance was always a little tight (and for Plus tyres, the sticky outy bushingy bit is in pretty much exactly the wrong place). But that’s a Pike thing not a hub width thing, you can widen the stance of forks without changing the hub.

honourablegeorge

chiefgrooveguru – Member

Yes but it isn’t because of the wider hubs, it’s just a response to the larger tyre trend.

Oh yes, purely for clearance, the wider/stiffer hub thing is a con job

euain

Well I got a response from CR – “Don’t worry about the picture, they are the new 2018 forks”.

Box arrived, set of 2016 pikes inside. Lying &£@s.

Back they go.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘2018 Pike’ is closed to new replies.