Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 2018 Pike vs 2018 Fox 34?
  • sillyoldman

Anyone ridden both?
    Looking for 120mm 29er option, but I guess any wheelsize/travel would be a reasonable comparison.

Any opinions would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave.

pahoehoe
    Free Member

Have the 2016 120mm fit4 29’er version. Never got on with fox in the past – and almost didnt buy the bike due to the fox such we’re my issues in the past.
    This fork is different – small bump better than rs imho but mid stroke supportive not divey and ramps up nicely now I’ve fiddled with the tokens. Plenty stiff enough for my xc/trail mincing.

BUT the Rrp on the fox is ridiculous is it not?

I did have one minor issue where I really hammered them on a really rough downhill and they made this suckey noise and went really firm like the negative air spring wasn’t there. This lasted a while and was all set to warranty them but then got stuck on a lift with the bike upside down and when I finally got to the top they were fixed.

I’ve ridden the ?130mm pikes only on a 2017 demo bike and they felt great but didn’t feel as good as my fox for small bump.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

didn’t feel as good as my fox for small bump.

2018 Pike has new debonair air spring with bigger neg chamber – better small bump and mid stroke support in theory.

I’d say 2018 pike feels as good as fit4 in terms of damping etc, but chassis is stiffer. i’d go pike. not ridden 2018 34, but don’t think it’s changed over 2017 afaik. have ridden 2018 pike.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sillyoldman

Thanks chaps.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Any more opinions on this now more people might have had chance to ride the latest version of each?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Bump

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Following Fox forks in use right now:

130 mm 29 er plus 34 Rhythm GRIP, 2017 model

150 mm 27.5 er plus 34 Rhythm GRIP, 2017 model

(and one 140 mm 27.5 Fit4 “performance” is waiting on the shelve, upgrade for my BossnutV2)

Got those Fox forks for little money (here and there are fantastic (winter-) sales for those forks).

Those forks are FANTASTIC.

In combination with thru axles and wide rims very stiff. Spot on progression and at the same time very plush.

Like going on rails when it’s getting rough. The 130 mm forks feels a bit more plush than the 150 mm fork.

Don’t have a Pike – but some (2015, 2016 models?), longer travel Pikes in my biking group. When biking with those biking pals can’t see any performance advantage of the Pikes. Maybe even the other way around…

Current “GRIP” with Fox: GRIP 2 ?

Even better?

Onzadog
    Free Member

The 34 still uses the same Fit4 damper on the top end. Grip2 is in the high end long travel 36. Even the shorter travel 36 doesn’t use the Grip2.

I don’t know if Grip2 is only useful in longer travel forks or if it will trickle down next year.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

The 34 still uses the same Fit4 damper on the top end. Grip2 is in the high end long travel 36. Even the shorter travel 36 doesn’t use the Grip2.

sounds logical. Good.

I have tu hurry to get the 140 mm Fit4 fork on my Bossnut V2 mounted. This would allow me to compare the Grip and Fit4 damper….

@sillyoldman
    :

the 29 er 130 mm Grip boost Fox forks were on sale last winter. 199 Euros (bikecomponents.de). Remember some threads where bikers stated that they bought up to 4 of those to sell them later on ebay for more money.

Not sure if some are still around. 230 GBP or so would be still a deal! Think RRP was around 700 GBP.

Onzadog
    Free Member

As far as I can see, the cheap 34s are long gone.  The cheapest one I can find is a 44mm offset on a 29″ fork.  That’s a whole other can of worms.

gaidong
    Free Member

I bought four of the Bike-Component Fox forks. Not for re-sale though, I’m using the lot!

Tracey

Stif on ebay are still selling the 2017 Pikes at £400. The graphics will need swapping. Got a spare pair from them when ebay had the discount code on. For £350 they were worth it.

Start fitness have some Lyriks on at the moment that arent bad price wise

rickon
    Free Member

Don’t have a Pike – but some (2015, 2016 models?), longer travel Pikes in my biking group. When biking with those biking pals can’t see any performance advantage of the Pikes. Maybe even the other way around

You can’t compare pre-2018 Pikes to the 2018 pikes. Totally different air spring and damper.

The 2018 pikes are very very nice. Plush, great small bump and they ramp up nicely, I used to run one spacer and now don’t need any on my 160 pikes.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘2018 Pike vs 2018 Fox 34?’ is closed to new replies.