• This topic has 48 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by euain.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • 2018 Pike
  • honourablegeorge

Prety swish. Like the cassete tool for removing the air cap, no more rounded caps

Cutting 200g out of the weight impressive too.

2018 RockShox – A Completely Re-Engineered Pike

honourablegeorge

Ugh – seems these (and the new Lyriks) are Boost only according to PinkBike

nairnster
    Free Member

Interesting, the new boost standard which was to give people options, is now the only standard on the new Pike. Nice one.

I like the sound of the new Revelation more.

chakaping
    Free Member

Makes sense to put more space between the Pike and Lyrik.

All looks sensible. But is it Boost only?

mickmcd
    Free Member

someone will be along in a minute telling you to put a spring in it

boost is the pain in lots of folks arse at the moment

scotroutes

Was it ever to give people options? Other than backwards compatibility, why would you not want it?

nairnster
    Free Member

I am sure Rockshox themselves said that.

Not only that, I was looking at a new Pike fork in a few months time, however, I do not need a new hub/wheel. That immediately removes the Pike as an option.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

No bleeder valves for the air that gets dragged past the seals.

Massive wasted opportunity.

Also – needed a coil option. 😆

PJM1974
    Free Member

Like the cassete tool for removing the air cap

It’s a very good idea indeed. My old Marzocchi 55s had this arrangement.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I was looking at a new Pike fork in a few months time, however, I do not need a new hub/wheel. That immediately removes the Pike as an option.

You can still buy 2015 model Pikes brand new from multiple retailers, I’m pretty certain that a non-boost Pike will be an option for a long time to come, probably at a greater discount since it’s now old model!

nairnster
    Free Member

Yep Marzocchi have used that method for years and years.

nairnster
    Free Member

But why would I want to buy a fork that is already 2 years old, never mind older in a few months?

Answer, I don’t. Boost is now being forced on people gradually, even though it’s arguable if it’s even needed. I never find my 27.5 wheels noticeably flexy.

Northwind

It’s not just the new Pike- all of the new Rockshox models are boost only, so once the old stock clears the only rockshox forks that’ll be available in 100×15 are going to be Recon and downwards, and the Sid. And the Recon seems to be using the same old chassis, which is 7 years old, and the same old moco damper which is fundamentally over a decade old. Progress!

It’s like Rockshox listened to everyone on the internet that said “Why are you worried about new standards? You’ll still be able to get stuff for your old standards” and went “Oh yeah? Watch this!”

scotroutes

Maybe they listened to everyone that complained about there being too many standards and decided to drop one.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

But why would I want to buy a fork that is already 2 years old, never mind older in a few months?

You’ve just poo pooed the main benefit between the older fork and the new one, so why wouldn’t you still be interested in a 2 year old model 😀

legend
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    Maybe they listened to everyone that complained about there being too many standards and decided to drop one.

That’s not how this industry works, they would’ve invented a new standard if they wanted to do that

mickmcd
    Free Member

i have just had a thought …why does no one just make a spacer kit to shim everything back in then if you upgrade your wheel in 2 years time it will fit

Was it ever to give people options? Other than backwards compatibility, why would you not want it?

kayla1
    Free Member

Boost hubs are wider, for ‘better’, innit? The disc sits further out on a Boooooooooost (TM)(C)(R) hub than on a 100×9/100×15/110×20 hub so you’d either need to use an offset brake adapter or space the disc off the hub- doable but a PITA.

It’s all just so much ‘meh’. SRAM can bugger off, then bugger off a bit more when they get there.

poah
    Free Member

check out the price of them on CRC. having that stupid 3-position switch and no HSC adjustment isn’t particularly appealing given the competition from DVO, Manitou,fox and the new CC Helm.

legend
    Free Member

The 2018s? Can’t see them on CRC yet, and no RS product has ever sold at RRP, ever

russyh
    Free Member

What brand of cheese are they using now if the weight has lowered 200g

poah
    Free Member

2017 are over 700

psycorp
    Free Member

Pah, they can keep their boost forks in the same place as their metric shocks, right up their ar……

jmatlock
    Free Member

Are they up for order anywhere yet? Now I know I can convert my Non Boost Pro4 Hun to Boosg width I am very tempted with some 140s for my BFe.

joat

Are the old Pikes crap now then?
    And should I avoid buying a new bike with them on?

euain

ChainReaction are claiming to have them – Chain Reaction 2018 Pikes.

I think the picture is the 2017 version though. I’ve ordered some and sent them a query to make sure it’s the 2018 version that they’ll send.

legend
    Free Member

They’ll almost certainly send them out before you get a response. Also, that’s the old description I believe and they’re offering them in 26″, so dont believe they will be 2018s

BillOddie

Answer, I don’t. Boost is now being forced on people gradually, even though it’s arguable if it’s even needed.

Is anyone MAKING you buy new RockShox?

SirHC

Max travel for the 2018 is 140mm as well. OEM stock clearance perhaps?

RickDraper
    Free Member

Max travel for the 2018 is 140mm as well. OEM stock clearance perhaps?

Only on the 29er.

vincienup
    Free Member

Meh. Don’t see the problem with Boost. Front is a simple endcap and re-dish – admittedly the re-dish is going to stop you swapping between Boost and non Boost, rear you need to space out the brake disc too. Very doable, not the end of a wheelset.

The most recent fork I bought was one of the clearance Yaris at Merlin, specifically because it was Boost as I need the extra space to get a bigger tyre in. Looking at that fork sale, it’s noticeable that the Boost-Yari is the first one to have sold out although it did take about a month to do so. Obviously a lot of folks are fine with the idea.

Hope are selling a front adaptor for pro2/Pro4 hubs now and considering one for rear as they’re getting s lot of questions about it. No reason to need Boost at the back just because you have s Boost fork, so right now if you have Hope or DT hubs, a Boost fork is simply going to need about £30 of alteration to your front wheel, or under a tenner if you do your own dishing.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Interesting they are making them all compatible with up to 2.8″ x 29″ tyres, 3.0 x 27.5″. That may be the way things are going plus-tyte wise, for frames as well. Kinbd of make sense, but boost width probably needed for it, at least for official goods with potential liability issues.

Scamper
    Free Member

Also just bought one of the clearance (non-boost) 160mm Yari from Merlin for £350. The packaging left a lot to be desired, and it didn’t come with spare seals or pump, let alone in a proper rockshox box. From what I read on the serial number its a late 2015 fork which can’t to right can it? Lovely fork, mind.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

it’s noticeable that the Boost-Yari is the first one to have sold out although it did take about a month to do so. Obviously a lot of folks are fine with the idea.

They probably only ordered 3 Boost forks in, and 30 non-Boost……

The Pike used to be a tough, simple, reliable fork that could take a proper battering. I had coil and air versions and they were ace, and they sold loads of them.
    IMO the industry is gradually screwing itself back up its own arse with products like this. It’s out of reach of the normal everyday rider and very few will ever be sold that don’t come fitted to a bike. It’s like they make the RRP so high just for a giggle, so a few poseurs can have everyone fawning over their £1000 fork on their £5000 tarts handbag bike. Utterly insane. Even the discount price is silly. I could afford one, or the bike it would be strapped to, fairly easily if I so wished but I just have no desire to chuck that amount of money away on something that doesn’t have an engine. I only paid £4300 for my Honda at 8 months old…

I’m sooooo glad I saw this coming and stocked up on bits to keep my 10 year old 853 Inbred going until I can no longer ride.

mindmap3
    Free Member

IMO the industry is gradually screwing itself back up its own arse with products like this. It’s out of reach of the normal everyday rider and very few will ever be sold that don’t come fitted to a bike. It’s like they make the RRP so high just for a giggle, so a few poseurs can have everyone fawning over their £1000 fork on their £5000 tarts handbag bike. Utterly insane. Even the discount price is silly.

Trouble is that people are still buying the damn things. Fork prices are daft these days and I can’t see it changing any time soon.

The new ‘standards’ are a pain too and changing all too fast.

euain

They’ll almost certainly send them out before you get a response. Also, that’s the old description I believe and they’re offering them in 26″, so dont believe they will be 2018s

Funny you say that. Status is now despatched and no response to my query. Still, if they’re 2017, they will go straight back so no big loss. I’ll survive on my X-Fusions another few weeks.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Don’t worry folks, if you don’t like the new Boost only product line then BoostPlus will be along in 2019 to give you more choice

euain

I’m waiting for BoostLite – 15×100 will be the future

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The industry is **** itself with all the standards changes and no real performance increase, thats why I have been content with doing things like dropping a coil and getting the FAST damper modification done to my 2015 Pike. You get more performance by tuning old kit to your tastes, than you do by buying a new fork every two years.

greyspoke
    Free Member

I actually think moving to a slightly wider standard is a good thing, for the reasons stated by the manufacturers. Bigger wheels and fatter tyres are becoming popular (for good reasons) and that does pose some problems. The issue is that one cannot have any confidence that the standard won’t change again shortly, nor is it clear if “standard width” will continue to be available and so on. This makes buying a new bike problematical unless you have a crystal ball.

It must affect new bike sales, there must be other people like me thinking “I’ll just wait a bit for things to settle down, or pick something up second-hand if a bargain crops up”.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘2018 Pike’ is closed to new replies.