Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 132 total)
  • 2018 Orange bikes now on Sunset website….
  • simon80
    Free Member

How much?! 😯

P-Jay
    Free Member

Will the average non-Orange fan spot the difference?

It’s not an exaggeration to say that in my eyes they’ve been selling the same bike for 150 years, just tweaking the details for the latest standards / trends.

zippykona

Do they have bottle mounts yet?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member
    simon80
    Free Member

Getting deeply worried about the way mtb pricing is going!
    When my 2012 Five dies, I think I’ll be replacing it with a supermarket BSO at this rate 😥

russyh
    Free Member

As a long time former Orange fan, I wonder if the latest price hikes will be utilise to fund their ever increasing warranty claim department? Or perhaps adding support to their stretched customer services team? Maybe even find a new hammer to smack frames straight…sorry I would never buy another and that’s only partly to do with the price

P-Jay
    Free Member

I know what you mean. £3k used to be super bike money, you need a grand more these days to get the entry level.

I’m not sure it’s that they’ve just doubled the price of everything if that there just some much bling carbon frame seems to be a must these days, a dropper is of course, that’s a £1000-£1500 price hike alone, not that Orange mess with carbon of course, they just put the price up to carbon money ha ha.

scc999

Getting deeply worried about the way mtb pricing is going!
    When my 2012 Five dies, I think I’ll be replacing it with a supermarket BSO at this rate

How much did your 2012 Five cost new? There are over 30 FS bikes under £2000 on the linked to site.

The whole “it’s so much more expensive than it used to be” comment along with a link to a top spec carbon bike is just a bit lazy.
    In real terms I suspect that bike prices haven’t risen much since 2012, and you get better bikes.

ton

there are other bike companies, based in the uk, who make very nice bikes, and DONT have you over with a ‘made in the uk’ rip off price tag.

just a bit south west of halifax, yet still in yorkshire….. 😀

coomber
    Free Member

Just wait a bit and buy this time next year. They had some great deals on say the 2017 p7 the other day.

It’s a bit like buying a Kona at rrp. You know you can get it so much cheaper in 6 months.

tpbiker
    Free Member

That 6.5k hardtail does weigh 8.4kg however. It ain’t cheap but that’s ridiculously light even for an xc bike.

cookeaa

Will the average non-Orange fan spot the difference?

I’ll happily have a try…

Moar aeroz?

#Enduro approved colours?

6mm longerer travel?

Guy Martin Endorsed?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

When are the Scott 2018 bikes out? They look, excuse my enduro, sick. But I am expecting them to be astronomically priced

chestrockwell

Meh, same nonsense being spouted again. I am sure they will actually just cost very similar to comparable bikes, as they always do. They don’t even seem that much more than last year but I have not checked.

chestrockwell

More of a worry is the lack of a new Segment so far.

ton

fanboi chest?

Goldigger
    Free Member

Anybody know the weights of a 2014 5 frame and the current 2017 frame? Size M

woodster

P7 starting to look a bit fussy with the seat tube brace now added to the downtube kink, but I guess it adds some much needed standover. 29 version is interesting.

chestrockwell

fanboi chest?

Yep, without doubt, just as you are a vocal hater. Doesn’t make what I said untrue though.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

‘Mega’…

russyh
    Free Member

I have the weight of the 2017 5 frame written down at home but I’m currently out of the country will try and remember to post it when back, surprisingly it’s not as heavy as everyone would want you to believe

munkyboy
    Free Member

Brexit pricing. We knew it was going to happen

‘Back to the fuschia’ pink….

scotroutes

Doesn’t that depend on how full the drawers are?

milky1980
    Free Member

I bought my 5 Pro 6 years ago (from Sunset as it happens) and with a few upgrades it was £3560. The comparable model now with similar upgrades is £1000 more but has a better drivetrain and fork so it’s not a huge difference once you factor in inflation. Admittedly my bike was on the expensive side compared to the other manufacturers at the time but factoring in the upgrades I made would have been done to whatever I bought it worked out not much more.

Judging by the number of them they seem to sell the price doesn’t seem to be too much of a problem. Saying that when it comes to replace it I won’t be buying an Orange, too many other options that are well specced without upgrades to choose from now.

prawny

The S is only about £100 more and comes with a dropper now. This year P7 was upgraded over the year before too. Never paid much attention to further up the range but I don’t think the price is any more unreasonable than before.

Still wouldn’t have one though, round here I think Five is the amount of minutes it would take to get nicked.

scc999

Has the filing cabinet thing ever actually been funny?

Strike me as similar to the “Oh, you work in IT, so you just tell people to turn it off and on again don’t you? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!”
    Or any other tired “joke” that people trot out at every opportunity.

Just FYI – as someone who is pretty ambivalent about Orange bikes (think they’re overpriced but never ridden one for more than a few yards, so they may be worth it?) – if it ever WAS even slightly amusing, that was a long, long, loooong time ago.

HTH

tpbiker
    Free Member

£3.7k for the pro 5 is insanely bad value

A better speced spectral from canyon can be had for 1400 quid less

Other brands are available, a similarly speced Bird is £1200 cheaper and also uk made

Yes I know buying direct isn’t directly comparable, but once you are on the trails does it really matter that it arrived in a big box from germany.

No agenda against orange, but I just can’t see any possible reason to buy one. Its a very basically designed alu frame with lots of average parts bolted on. Sure its great that you dont have many bearings to replace, but you pay a substantial premium to save on a few bearings once a year.

What am I missing?

scc999

What am I missing?

No idea, but the reviews on this very site seem to be positive.

And they sell enough of them that it can’t just be the “made in Halifax” appeal, surely?

I’d be interested in trying one out for a while to see for myself, but that’s not likely to happen until Orange see the light and realise that a long term test by a complete punter is where they should be investing their kit and money!!

ton

Has the filing cabinet thing ever actually been funny?

not really, but it does have a way of getting under some folks skin…..just a little.

ryu1720
    Free Member

More of a worry is the lack of a new Segment so far.

don’t worry about the segment it’s being replaced by a model called the stage4 in november

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Judging by the number of them they seem to sell the price doesn’t seem to be too much of a problem

Mibbe just a sign that they’re good bikes? There’s more Santa Cruz round my local fun stuff than any other brand, by miles.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

In real terms I suspect that bike prices haven’t risen much since 2012, and you get better bikes.

Cannondale Prophet 2 (2010) – £1499

Pikes, Fox Float, 10/10 in seemingly every review, and seemingly permanently on sale at £999 for about 3 years (even the 2012 model).

Not much these days really get’s into even the same ballpark even after inflation. The cheapest Bird Aeris is ~20% more.

Having said that, Orange were always £1400-£1500 frames back then, so they’re actually cheaper!

matt_outandabout

As an Orange owner, now and in the past, I see why folk pay the price.
    – simples. Simple to fix and maintain. Easy to understand. Massive mud clearance and cleaning. Durable. Really durable. Not a lot to go wrong.
    – we do deep down like a British company, even if they are not ‘properly’ British at times (Hope, Cotic, OnOne(!), Sanderson, Singular etc)
    – the one time I needed their warranty (oddly on a multi-pivot Orange) they were totally brilliant – and even sorted me out when 3 months past warranty.

*If* I had the money, I would rather they had it then some of the big ‘merican or iffy customer serviced’ Euro brands…

tpbiker
    Free Member

I’m sure they are great bikes.

But I’m genuinely keen to know why they are better than say a bird, costing a grand less.

For balance I’ve ridden an alpine and it was awesome. So I’m not disputing the fact that they are great bikes. And tbf the frame only option is not nearly as bad value.

You seem to be paying almost retail prices for the parts however. Buy frame only and shop around and you will end up with a far better bike. Perhaps that’s not the market however.

molgrips
    Free Member

I go into Sunset occasionally to buy a spoke, or a bearing or something. I must admit the Oranges lined up in there look bloody brilliant.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

When I was 15 and working as a Saturday boy in a bike shop, The MBUK / Animal/ Orange team would sometimes come in and I would drool over their Orange bikes. Now not so much. Not sure what happened really, but yeah I think basically making the same bike for the last 20 years has something to do with it

[video]http://youtu.be/9ywE6JZUE5g[/video]

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I think basically making the same bike for the last 20 years

Which works (or appears to) & sells in enough numbers to keep producing?

You mean? 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

I own a 10 year old Orange. Let me tell you, it’s nothing like the same as the new ones.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Sure thing. I’m off to bed you can tell me all the differences in the morning . Don’t stay up too late! 😀

(Not my wall, wish it was my fence)

joemmo
    Free Member

Tpbiker wrote

Other brands are available, a similarly speced Bird is £1200 cheaper and also uk made

The bikes are assembled in the UK but the frames are far east built AFAIK. Not really comparable.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘2018 Orange bikes now on Sunset website….’ is closed to new replies.