Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 284 total)
  • 2018 Films , and we're off…
  • rone

Typically good start to the year.

Saw All The Money In The World and Molly’s game this week at the flix. Enjoyed both for different reasons.

The former is the film where Ridley Scott replaced Kevin Spacey after the movie was in the can, when Spacey started getting accused of being a naughty boy.

They re-cast with Christopher Plumber to tell the story of billionaire John Paul Getty’s refusal to pay his Grandson’s kidnapping ransom.

Great film making and astonishing that they re-shot all of Spacey’s part. And actually seamless.

Molly’s game is an Aaron Sorkin talkathon set against an equally bizarre backdrop of a near-miss Olympic skier’s turn towards running high stake poker, and ending up in trouble with the feds.

Based on true story that I’d never come across, and Sorkin’s directoral debut. A bit too much info is spoken at warp speed but it’s still an intriguing story.

Both worth your attention, and if even 50% of each film is true then even more staggering on reflection.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri – next week.

(I think technically these films may have been released in very late 2017. Whoops. But not at my cinema.)

mrlebowski
    Free Member

The Post is on my watch list.

rone

Yes. That looks terrific. A
    Spielberg has two films out shortly.

DezB
    Free Member

Three Billboards looks interesting… only problem is, I’ve seen a lot of adverts for it (including ahem, billboards) and usually over advertised films are a bit crap.

Only film I’m really looking forward to in 2018 is… The Incredibles 2! 🙂

stevedoc
    Free Member

Red Sparrow is on the want list for obvious reasons
    Avengers Infinity war < no brainer
    As in The Incredible
    Deadpool 2

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I see Fry has been replaced by Joanna Lumley at the BAFTAS.

Don’t know what she’ll be like but she couldn’t be any worse.

Always thought Fry was an unfunny, unctious and patronising blob.

coomber
    Free Member

Annihilation out February. Cannot wait.

Natalie Portman. Alex garland. Win win

DezB
    Free Member

Oh yeah! and Deadpool er 2… sequels are never as good though are they…

funkmasterp

Only film I’m really looking forward to in 2018 is… The Incredibles 2!

Me too. I’m also looking forward to seeing how much of a train wreck the Solo film will be. Sounds like things didn’t go too well on set. I love a good big budget film gone wrong.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Sicario 2 is due soon, can’t wait.

I suspect the summer will be another endless stream of reboots, comic book films and rebooted comic book films but I’ve seen a few interesting things on the horizon like The Irishman

bikebouy
    Free Member

New Wes Anderson film due out March (I think)

And a new Maze Runner, due Jan..

An new Star Wars movie in May..

Nat Portmans Annihilation too..

This might be good, not due until Dec..

And X-Men spin offs, some rather odd Sea Monster movie, Jurassic Park continues, and animated Ghostbusters, and just so we can all criticise it before it’s even out.. a new Predator..

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Black Panther is the first blockbuster and I think it’s got promise. Looks to be a good year.

rone

Sicario 2 is due soon, can’t wait

Yes , this one’s me got me dithering. Perhaps the most unexpected sequel of all time.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Sequelitis? I’m old and confused cynical. Everything’s looking and feeling more like a brand/franchise than ever. Will we see peak McMovie?

legend
    Free Member

Ready Player One – but the trailer leaves me a bit concerned that they’ve ruined it

nickc

Annihilation out February. Cannot wait.

It’s based on the first of a trio of books that’s pretty difficult to grasp. My fear is that it’ll bear scant relation to the themes that would be difficult to translate to film anyway. I don’t think it’ll be that good if I’m honest

Natalie Portman. Alex garland. Win win

Natalie’s OK, Alex can be very hit and miss, bless him.

legend
    Free Member

Tell me more about Annihilation – the trailer just looks like any other “bad monsters get hungry” type movie. Is there more to it?

rone

Just back from Three Billboards…

Surprising, shocking and original. Terrific script, lots of black black moments.

Had an almost ‘mellowed’ Tarantino edge to it that was extremely gratifying.

Very clever moments that usurp script writing coincidences nicely.

Haven’t seen a small town America film this rich in ages.

(I know there’s a thread but I started this one before as a general film thread.)

drlex
    Free Member

It’s based on the first of a trio of books that’s pretty difficult to grasp

Agreed; keen to see the take that the director has on the book, when so much of it is descriptive. Whilst Arrival was a good film, it didn’t really reflect the source book, and the developing chrono-synclastical ability of the narrator.
    </pseud’s corner>.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Whilst Arrival was a good film, it didn’t really reflect the source book, and the developing chrono-synclastical ability of the narrator.

Which makes me glad I don’t read as much these days. The endless book vs film bores the hell out of me, the best books don’t make the best films and the best films don’t make for good books. The medium is too different.

I saw someone posting another maze runner up there, remember the comment that at some point the maze runners should bump to the the hunger games and maybe another couple of ya franchises and have that brief moment crossover maybe over a beer then run off to complete their mission/story arc

teenrat

Had a mystery screening on Monday – the film turned out to be ‘shape of water’. One of the strangest films I’ve ever seen. The whole film and storyline was just bizarre.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

No mention of ‘Darkest Hour’ yet?

Saw it last night and enjoyed it very much. It’s not perfect but I’d wholeheartedly recommend a watch.

drlex
    Free Member

The medium is too different.

I wasn’t complaining about the film treatment; I’m curious to see the interpretation of what I think is another pretty unfilmable book and hope it’s not just made into a “bad monster” trope.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Fair enough, just had a run of book readers going on about films recently (well it’s a recurring thing)

Planning to get a cinema season pass when I get beck to the UK to make the most of being in a city for those dark long evenings

sadexpunk

Just back from Three Billboards…

Surprising, shocking and original. Terrific script, lots of black black moments.

Had an almost ‘mellowed’ Tarantino edge to it that was extremely gratifying.

Very clever moments that usurp script writing coincidences nicely.

Haven’t seen a small town America film this rich in ages.

agreed, fantastic film, a must-see.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Bikebuoy – cheers, didn’t know there was a Fahrenheit 451 production on the go. Odd sea monster movie would be Pacific Rim 2?

Legend – me too, really want it to be good but prepared to be disappointed.

Would be nice if we got an at least wrapped Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 by the end of the year. And Mega City One in production.

But if there was ever a most hyped release of the year…

teenrat

The odd sea monster movie could be shape of water, although it’s more of an amphibious man

squirrelking
    Free Member

In other niche news we have Alita: Battle Angel (Robert Rodriguez) which may be good or may be another manga ruined forever, The House with a Clock in its Walls which sounds terrifically compelling, The Jungle Book – Third Time Lucky, Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2, a Transformers movie NOT directed by Michael Bay and Princess Leia Mary Poppins Returns

And finally Mama Mia! which I’m sure we can all agree should be banned as a crime against humanity.

Also, Scarface? Really??

revs1972
    Free Member

Ready Player One – but the trailer leaves me a bit concerned that they’ve ruined it

What makes you think that ? From what I’ve seen, it should be a cracker and follow the book pretty well

DezB
    Free Member

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri – just seen it, damn excellent. very different feel from McDonagh’s other films, but darkly humourous and thought provoking. Sam Rockwell is so good in it. Loved it.

rone

Very much enjoyed ‘The Post’. A quite un-showy piece from Spielberg – detailing the Washington Post’s expose of the Pentagon Papers – dodgy cover-ups of the Vietnam war.

Meryl Streep is always great, straddling the line of newspaper owner hob-nobber and fighting for the truth.

Ultimately fairly forgettable but still a well constructed and mature piece that leads nicely into Watergate related films like All the President’s Men and Nixon.

legend
    Free Member

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>revs1972
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Member</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    What makes you think that ? From what I’ve seen, it should be a cracker and follow the book pretty well

All the stuff with cars flying through the air and the like doesn’t sit right, also looked like he was in a ‘normal’ school? The full trailer looks better than the teaser though, some interesting sleeping quarters noted at the end…..

Sandwich

Western and Detective are two that look interesting to me. I doubt either will be on general release, hopefully Netflix will show them both.

johndoh
    Free Member

Saw The Darkest Hour yesterday and thought it was wonderful – the best film I have seen in a long time.

One of the trailers was for Isle of Dogs (mentioned above) which looks very interesting too – even if just to enjoy the stunning animation/filming etc – it looks beautifully constructed.

mahalo

i always make a point of seeing all the award contenders every year.  still to see The Post which im looking forward to. Phantom Thread and The Shape of water which i am not so much. Three Billboards is great, Darkest Hour is all about the performance of one man rather than being a particularly good film. Dunkirk, fantastic. Lady Bird i saw this weekend, meh. but my favourite by far is Get Out.

enjoying Vue’s £4.99 initiative at the moment. took the kids to see Coco and Early Man recently. both amazing.

johndoh
    Free Member

Darkest Hour is all about the performance of one man rather than being a particularly good film.

But as the film is pretty much entirely about that man doesn’t that make it a good film? I also thought some of the cinematography was wonderful – I liked the slow scrolling street scenes great (a fantastic way of conveying London still getting about its normal life despite what was unfolding around them) and some of the cut scenes in the lifts- the use of ‘portrait’ view with blackness to the left and right of the focus was great. AND! The colouring/lighting was wondrous at times (especially when in Buckingham Palace).

I agree 100% with you about Shape of Water though – it looks bobbins and I really can’t bring myself to want to watch it despite the reviews it has been getting.

wallop

Another recommendation for Three Billboards here – absolutely superb.

stewartc
    Free Member

Another thumbs up for 3 Billboards, very enjoyable film, its always good to get a real film in among the blockbusters.

jonnyboi

Saw black panther last night, excellent movie. One of the best marvel flicks so far.

anagallis_arvensis

3 billboards….brilliant

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 284 total)

The topic ‘2018 Films , and we're off…’ is closed to new replies.