• This topic has 530 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by tiim.
Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 531 total)
  • 2017/2018 cx racing thread
  • LS
    Free Member

NDCXL was at Shipley Park on Saturday, recent editions have been proper grass crits on a dry motorway of a course but this time, due to quite a bit of rain, we had a half-slog/half-fast course with a couple of very brutal hills.
    Really odd race, no tyre was perfect so it was a case of using the best one for the majority of the course and managing the other sections.
    Lots of very broken looking people by the end of the day!

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Really odd race, no tyre was perfect so it was a case of using the best one for the majority of the course and managing the other sections.

Which is the best way to choose a tyre. I see too many people getting the muds out just because of a few slippery sections only to drag them round for the other 90% of the course.

LS
    Free Member

Well yes, it’s not obvious to a lot of people though!
    Even when it’s clearly a Mud day I still do a lap on Slaloms/Typhoons just to prove to myself that I really do need the Muds.

brassneck

Question to those on a 1x (as I’m not troubling the outer ring any) – what cranks did you use? Absolute Black oval 38 (or possibly 36 for me) seem derigeur but I’m debating stripping the 105s for the season, buying a spare ‘cross’ crankset as 1x or using the 105 and buying a posher road set.

brassneck

Brass neck, how did you get on?
    I saw a tripster laying down and it reminded me of this thread…couldn’t remember the user name and didnt want to ask random people of they were from STW…!
    Took the kids (2&5 years) for nearly 2 hours including a little picnic, 5 year old wants to race which is good but 2 year old was doing her best to get knobbly tyre prints on her….!

Only just remembered this thread – Newbury – not last, but had a nice big off on the last lap that sent me one way, the bike the other and the back wheel a third. It was great 😀

Had a better time of it at Swindon, but 6-8 weeks off the bike have taken their toll – the punishment is supposed to be an incentive to get a bit fitter for each race. Probably a couple more novice rounds for confidence then into the vet40, which should be more racing with people around, novices feels like a TT at times.

Say hello next time – I will usually have an U8 or two and an U12 with me on mtbs – they’ve got into it, but the pace is something else even in their categories think it’ll take a season or two to learn how to go fast – they are more used to knocking out long miles at a steady pace, but one at least mentioned ‘training’ what ever that is! Get the little uns on too – there were some tiny people at Swindon but they were loving it!

13thfloormonk

1st round of the Scottish CX season at Callander Park today.

Lots of grim portents in the weather forecast, but I was secretly confident as despite never having raced CX before, I thought lots of mud would ve too my advantage.

Started poorly enough, joined the back of the grid and with 30 seconds till the off realised I still had my fleecy legwarmers on! The gun went while I was still hopping around with one leg warmer around my ankle 😳

Made up for it in first lap, passed a fair few folk without having to push too hard, but I think just the relentless mud meant I had to back off in the second lap to recover a bit. After that it felt like a bit of a TT really with occasional passing/being passed.

Got more confident on the wet grassy off camber corners on the descents, made a couple of high/inside line passes stick, but equally slid out a good few times. Gave the crowd something to enjoy at least!

Don’t think I’ll have placed very well at all, happy if I’m out of bottom third, but enjoyed and looking forward to more. Think I know what I need to do on my morning commutes to maybe improve fitness a bit more and have 3 weeks to work at it until round 3 (can’t make round 2).

Kudos to the organisers, excellent event.

mooman
    Free Member

Pembrey in Welsh League this week.
    Gridded 2nd row – my usual slow start had me mid pack at first switchback 50yds in.
    Managed to get up to 4th by 2nd or 3rd lap; was still feeling comfortable. Then tried to put an effort in on the long concrete path … went little wide to overtake, and front wheel washed out on the metal rail.
    Got back on bike but from there on I just seemed to lose concentration; cooked every bend and forgot every line through sand dunes … finished 8th.
    Gutted because I expected best result of season … and have to replace helmet because of a pretty good dent in it!

ferrals
    Free Member

You did better than me.. gridded first row seniors but got taken out in the start straight, whacked my head, got my foot through someones wheel. The whole field disappeared by the time I untangled my chain. Started but was feeling dizzy and foot was super painful so just stopped. DNF zero laps!

So annoyed! I’d been ill all week and only bothered turning up as i wanted to keep points ticking over so i had a good grid for next weeks mudfest!

warton
    Free Member

after a couple of good, but very dry races, first muddy race of the season for CXNE. got top 20 in V40, but as I’ve been off the bike all week ill, and still felt bad on the day I was happy.

The V40 is becoming (or has become) the hardest race at CXNE, very competitive, the biggest field and the lap times pretty much match the seniors. it’s intense from start to finish, and bloody brilliant racing.

Three week training block before the next round I can do. determined to make them count.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Double header for Munqe Chick and I this weekend with Central CX at MK Bowl Saturday, then a ‘guest’ ride in newly formed Leicestershire CX League at Misterton Hall near Lutterworth because it’s an awesome course (Central raced there last year).

Our summer road riding in the Alps seems to have transferred into best-ever form for me, taking 4th in V40 in both races (equalling my best finish last year, funnily enough also at Misterton). MC was similarly consistent with 3rd senior woman at both rounds. I’m used to fighting for 10th so being in contention for a podium brought on some imposter syndrome and I kept assuming I’d get caught or blow up…

Misterton is a CX course for MTBers, with loads of tight twisty wooded singletrack and we’ll be joining LCXL there again (it’s hosting 3 of their 6 rounds) so if you’re in the Midlands I recommend it (it’s also about 90 seconds from M1 junction so easy to get to).

mooman
    Free Member

That’s tough Ferrals; I not sure starting that way was best – was bottle-necked within 2mins unless you in first dozen or so.

But I guess more potential for accidents if we’d started on path … flat out shoulder to shoulder on messy pathway.

I on Gran Canaria from Friday; so will be missing next two races

leggyblonde
    Free Member

A double header for me, also starting with MK on Saturday. I got spanked; could barely hold the lead group for a lap and ended 9th.

I was hoping for better on Sunday at Happy Valley, normally a fast course where I was hoping to be able to sit in and follow for 59minutes… Needless to say the heavens opened just before the start of the seniors. So a similar race, holding the leaders for a lap then a lonely TT for 6th place.

Hopefully a double weekend was enough to waken my CX legs in time for Herne Hill next weekend.

ferrals
    Free Member

Last year we started on the road didnt we? I thought that worked fine, but then the entrance to the first offroad bit was taped differently.
    I don’t blame matt’s layout for my crash, just one of those things, i was on far right of the grid and had someone shoulder barge me trying to get past on my right just before the gorse bush.

Probably racing carms, assuming body feels up to it, and then missing the next couple ater that

legend
    Free Member

So I decided to borrow a mates bike and head to Callendar too 🙂 2 short rides and 1 practice lap, so was always going to awesum (especially never having raced anything but DH or ENDURO). Was delighted to see the Women, V40s, V50s, etc ruin the track for us Seniors 🙂 Ended up owning the mid-field as per every other event I’ve ever tried Good fun day, proper hard work down the 2nd last straight!

The V40s park bench crash was brutal 😯

13thfloormonk

Ended up owning the mid-field as per every other event I’ve ever tried

That’s usually my spot! Since the early days racing DH I’ve been firmly entrenched in the mid-pack, XC, MTB Marathon, Sportive, even used to joke that if I turned up to the TdF I’d probably still end up mid pack.

Not so in CX racing though, didn’t even manage my prediction of making it out of the bottom third 🙁

legend, what were you riding/wearing, any chance I might have recognised you? Sounds like you were ahead of me from the start so we maybe didn’t cross paths…

brassneck

That’s usually my spot! Since the early days racing DH I’ve been firmly entrenched in the mid-pack, XC, MTB Marathon, Sportive, even used to joke that if I turned up to the TdF I’d probably still end up mid pack.

Not so in CX racing though, didn’t even manage my prediction of making it out of the bottom third

Yup, thats me too. To be fair, I think it’s fitness step up from all those events, even XC racing seems to be second to road or cross these days – if there’s a conflict I think the fastest are at the road events unless they love mtbs.

Still, starting at the back I’ve plenty to aim for 😀

steve_b77
    Free Member

As I’m out of action for the near future, I thought I’d give an update on son No.1.

Racing in the U8’s in the NWCCA (he’s 5) he rode his way to 11th overall and 8th boy, in a field of 23, oly 3 1/2 mins down on the winner, well chuffed.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/BXb8Vs]20170930_111914[/url] by Steve Bowman, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Z1udfw]20170930_112702[/url] by Steve Bowman, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Z1udRm]20170930_113919[/url] by Steve Bowman, on Flickr

ferrals
    Free Member

Chip timing for U8s? I’m impressed!!

mick_r

Chip timing for U8s? I’m impressed!

Organised lot up here in the NW 🙂

They rolled out timing chips for the adult races in 2015, with kids planned for later in the season. Then the nice folks from Manchester Wheelers donated funds from the Midweek Madness MTB races to allow chips for everyone. Mmmmm, chips.

Always a good season up here with some new venues coming up to keep things interesting.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

We have the same Ferrals and LIVE TRACKING for all categories so if you can’t make it you can track your competition.

Leggy blonde you coming to Leighton this Sunday then or does it clash with Herne Hill! Good luck, come to say hi next time I’m racing at CCXL

ferrals
    Free Member

Live tracking has come to Wales too!… when there is 4G anyway 😆

I’m debating a bit of a break from CX for a month or so after my crash last sunday. I’ve been stupid busy in work with 10-12hr days, trying to get fit, dealing with a teething 10 month old and now i’m battered, bruised and a bit rattled. So exausted I’m not sure I can face weekends of prepping, racing then cleaning two bikes. Will mean I won’t get enough places to qualify for a league postion this year which is gutting as I’d been hoping for a top ten overall but 15th at Foxley, a DNF last weekend and the fact that abergavenny will have an influx of fast people would have made that unlikely anyway. This should be in the bloody bike doldrums thread!

IdleJon

Take it easy Ferrals. Nothing worse than losing months of riding due to sickness because you weren’t sensible enough to take a break. Kids + work + stress + trying to train could mean long term health problems if you push too hard. (My sinusitis issues seemed to start at around my eldest’ s first birthday and is continuing right now!)

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Munge-chick, I will be at Herne Hill on Sunday but I will say hi if I do any other Central League events.

legend
    Free Member

13thfloormonk – Member

legend, what were you riding/wearing, any chance I might have recognised you? Sounds like you were ahead of me from the start so we maybe didn’t cross paths…

I was in a red and black RCCK top (under the mud). Smashed into 40th place……. or 41st depending on which results you look at 🙂

You heading to Irvine?

13thfloormonk

Nah, would have liked to, course sounds fun and the pics on the SCX FB page look cool, but can only take so much time away from the wee man, told my wife that CX racing would be ideal as they’re all central belt and I’d only be away for 3 hours per race… 😀

legend
    Free Member

I’ve got a wife and month old as travelling support by the look of it this weekend 🙂 I see at least one of them regretting the decision

ferrals
    Free Member

IdleJon – Member

Take it easy Ferrals. Nothing worse than losing months of riding due to sickness because you weren’t sensible enough to take a break.

Cheers Jon. Taken friday as holiday to sleep and will decide on Carmathen on the day, I’d skip it for sure but i love the mud there so might just head over to watch the vets and pootle round.

ferrals
    Free Member

to late to edit. got a pit crew for sat so am definately racing 😆

few weeks off racing then though and to be honest can’t wait.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Yes it’s nearly the weekend who is racing where? Central League Round 3 for us at Leighton which was a good course last year although loos like they’ve extended it around the playing fields.. so we shall see how it rides. Looking like another fast dry race though so one for the roadies 😉

Garry_Lager

Should be venturing out to Longridge near Preston in the NW series – new course. Few turns in it like:

Been injured for a month so done nowt, so prob be gasping at the back, but looking forward to getting back on the saddle.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Ferrals, you can lap me at Abergavenny if you want?

daern
    Free Member

As I’m out of action for the near future, I thought I’d give an update on son No.1.

Racing in the U8’s in the NWCCA (he’s 5) he rode his way to 11th overall and 8th boy, in a field of 23, oly 3 1/2 mins down on the winner, well chuffed.
    Well done to him! My son has started racing this season and is loving every minute of it, even though a couple of crashes have cost him decent finishes. I would encourage any parent who is a keen cyclist to get their kids to give it a go as it really is great fun, and excellent conditioning for future riding. It doesn’t even need to cost a lot – my son rides a £70 battered bike, which seems to take more maintenance to keep it rolling than the rest of the garage combined – and he’s keen as mustard every week.

pdw
    Free Member

Wessex at Basingstoke for me on Sunday. Anyone here doing the night endurance CX at Abingdon in a couple of weeks?

LS
    Free Member

Trophy at Derby for me tomorrow. In line to get a total spanking from messrs Jebb, Craig, Taylor and Lapere.
    Somehow made it to #1 in the national rankings this week but they count for nothing once the big boys and girls come out to play 😆

ferrals
    Free Member

That longridge course looks like it would make me dizzy!

Carmarthen tomorrow for me. I’m expecting/hoping for mud.

shedbrewed – Member
    Ferrals, you can lap me at Abergavenny if you want?

😆 feeling much more positive now, took a day off today and feel alive again 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Ferrals I felt dizzy long at the Longridge map!!!!

PDW yes me and crashtestmonkey are doing a mixed pair. We are racing Central League in the afternoon home for some food then out to do the night race! should be a laugh, we may race on MTB’s though but shall see what the weather is like.

ferrals
    Free Member

Fantastic race at Carmarthen yesterday, any disillusionment with racing well and truly gone 😆 best fun I’ve had racing in ages. Proper tooth and nail stuff.

Course was good, even with a spiral of doom in it. Muddy but not totally ridiculous. Proper cross course, long tarmac start finish straight lots of flat twisty stuff across the fields, a few gravel/track sections and three technical sections on steep banking with offcamber, run-ups and steep drops. By the time seniors raced it was pretty cut up though and I was relieved to have a pit crew for the first time ever, took a clean bike several times. Quite an interesting experiment as could really tell the difference between the muds (pdx’s) on my main bike and the intermediates (mxp) on pit bike in terms of grip but didn’t notice any change in rolling estistance.

After last week I took it pretty cautious at the start and then wound up the pace to pass people, getting to where I wanted to be by mid-lap, helped by some first lap chaos slowing people down. For the first half of the race, I was In a group of three having a decent battle but I made a mistake, couldn’t close the gap and the same time another group closed up to me. Was sitting in the front three of that group with great elbows out rubbing is racing action, didn’t realise the group had swelled to about 7 of us. With about two laps to go I drifted off line on one drop off and picked up a solid clump of mud that totally blocked my front wheel. By the time I’d stopped to get that cleared I was off the back of the group and stayed that way till the finish. Results wise won’t be good as I lost so many places, but had such fun racing I don’t care. Also means my initial goal of a top 10 in the series is out the window so I can take my personal pressure off and enjoy the racing

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Basingstoke today….wanted to do the night CX but can’t get it off work…!

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 531 total)

The topic ‘2017/2018 cx racing thread’ is closed to new replies.