• This topic has 530 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by tiim.
Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 531 total)
  • 2017/2018 cx racing thread
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

We had our last round of 2017 at Macclesfield Supacross on 30th December, mini-me No.1 had his best race of the year and got his first top 10 in the U8’s strengthening his 9th overall position in the league.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/232381z]DSC_4614.jpg[/url] by Ellen Isherwood, on Flickr

After a week of snot and missing the last round I went on and had my best result of the year coming home in 49th from 100 starters in V40, and for the first time not getting lapped by anyone including the winner, the ever young Nick Craig 8)
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/22ZmJ1G]DSC_5354.jpg[/url] by Ellen Isherwood, on Flickr

weeksy

Both looking like you REALLY enjoyed it. !

mick_r

Hi Steve – saw you warming up but I was a bit preoccupied trying to find where my “helper” kids had vanished to (eventually found on the skatepark). I was 40th so not long until you overtake me. Slightly amazing to see the second race that Nick did in the seniors (battling with Giles for most of the race then catching and sprint finishing with the race long leader).

I’m planning a daft bike for the lastround…. 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

weeksy – Member
    Both looking like you REALLY enjoyed it. !

The boy certainly knows how to suffer, considering he’s only 5 and tears are quite frequent in some of the other kids around him. He gives it everything and quite often needs picking up and carrying away from the finish line, before filling his little face, having a sit down and then heckling me all afternoon 😆

mick_r – Member
    Hi Steve – saw you warming up but I was a bit preoccupied trying to find where my “helper” kids had vanished to (eventually found on the skatepark). I was 40th so not long until you overtake me. Slightly amazing to see the second race that Nick did in the seniors (battling with Giles for most of the race then catching and sprint finishing with the race long leader).

I’m planning a daft bike for the lastround….

Flamin’ kids and their enjoyment, pah!!

You never know, I’m starting to feel almost human again fitness wise so if I get it right next year it could happen.

The man is a machine, as soon as he finished I saw him carrying his road bike to the bottom of the park to presumably keep the legs ticking over between rounds.

I’m not going as it stands, Dyfi Winter Warmer that day you see and I’d booked that before they announced the muddy mech wrecking hole that is Beacon Park in winter.

Garry_Lager

Was a couple of places ahead of you Steve, so we were probably riding quite close – I was the portly fellow in Stockport clarion colours. Quite a hard course Macc, IMO – wide open and flat out, but I guess there was just enough mud to keep it interesting.
    Feels like the end of the season but I’ll still do Beacon park all being well.

ferrals
    Free Member

Didnt bother with Western league in the end as just been too ill to put in that much exertion. However I did race our clubs fancy dress cx race dressed as a christmas tree! Not serious at all, not many senior competitors and only 30 mins but it really hurt! First and possibly only really muddy race of the season for me. Proper sapping conditions where run v ride often wasnt a clear cut choice: reminded me how much i love it when it gets heavy going. Also a reminder i need to go running more!

Shame there’s not really any parking at the location as would make a great venue for a real race.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Who’s still racing then? Final round of the national trophy today and it was such a struggle to motivate myself to dig in and hurt. Course was dry and pan flat unlike the thick mud I’ve been training in all Christmas.
    Hoping for one last chance of a mud epic in two weeks time. Can’t end the season on dry grass!

legend
    Free Member

Thought for the day ahead of the Jan/Feb/Mar races – does anyone ever mix n match tyres? Probably thinking like a mtber, but wondering about sticking a mud tyre on the front and keeping the MPX on the back (if I can find a good mud tyre in stock!)

ferrals
    Free Member

@legend, regularly.

More often file-tread rear, intermediate front; than mud front, intermediate back. Works well though.

@rollingdoughnut. I’m planning on one more race at filthy cross in Abergavenny on the 28th Jan. With lingering illness and christmas drinking I’ve not ridden a bike with any urgency since the end of november though so I am worried what my legs will say! Need some mud in my life though, I’ve not raced any properly muddy courses all season which is a real gutter.

legend
    Free Member

ferrals – Member

@legend, regularly.

More often file-tread rear, intermediate front; than mud front, intermediate back. Works well though.

Being able to run a file tread is something I can only dream of 🙂
    Not sure if it would be good or just annoying. Steering but no traction would suck, and still likely be a risk of the drivetrain clogging up.

In race news. Super Quaich rnd1 entered and selected, rnd2 entered and waiting, rnd 3 still to open. 13thfloormonk, I wont be doing Strathy Park if you’re fighting for freedom that weekend!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

So did anyone else race the Nationals CX champs at Hetton this weekend?

ferrals
    Free Member

Next years national trophy dates and venues:BC article

Shame no Abergavenny, I wanted to try a couple of NT races just to get totally pasted.
    I’m tempted to go up to Scotland for a holiday if by beach park it means a proper conti-style sand race though!

qwerty
    Free Member

Two & a bit weeks until Love Crossed @ Chavenage House in Tetbury, Gloucestershire:

Bring your bucket & spade 😉

09:00 course open for practice, 09:45 U12 boys & girls, 10:15 Youth boys & girls, 11:00 Vet40 men, 12:00 Vet50 men/Senior women/Junior women, 13:00 Senior men/Junior men. 14:00 World Cyclo-Cross Championships streamed live from Valkenburg NL. 15:00 Prize giving.

https://lecol.cc/pages/love-crossed

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I wont be making the 6 hour round trip to Lovecrossed this year, having had my request last year for gridding as a visiting rider met with laughter and “this is a western League race” 🙄 I asked on the basis of having come 10th overall in Central League. I was refused, and starting from the back row managed to come 7th. The guy who came 6th was also a visiting rider with a back row start. So if I wad a d1ck I’d say Western isnt a very competitive league. I’ve had a stronger season this year, coming 4th in my league and in the top third at the National Champs so could potentially be in contention for some prizes, but not when I’m starting from the back of the field.

Good luck with the event, but until this issue is resolved you’re not building an iconic stand-alone end of season finale that will grow on it’s own terms, you’re providing a rich prize fund for a Western League round.

qwerty
    Free Member

ctm – Feedback is always welcome. I’m not versed on the gridding process, I assist with the set up & help marshall on the day, but I can definately pass on your comments to the organisers.
    It’s a great event for racers and spectators alike at a stunning venue, hopefully progressing & learning along the way.

legend
    Free Member

I’m tempted to go up to Scotland for a holiday if by beach park it means a proper conti-style sand race though!

Irvine should be a good event! The course is going to be used in a few weeks, using a round of the Super Quaich to test it out – i’ll let you know how it runs. The usually Irvine course is a good in anyway. The sand section is a reasonable length, not full Belgian levels of softness (bar a couple of areas) but a good addition to the track

ferrals
    Free Member

@qwerty, feedback wise, the year I did it I remember thinking they should shift all the races forward by half an hour or so because by the time you’d finished and got changed as a senior you’d missed watching half the world champs.

Can see ctms point, if it’s going to be a festival of cx type thing maybe grid on bc points but only give western league placing to those with enough races to qualify for the series?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

ctm – Feedback is always welcome…It’s a great event for racers and spectators alike at a stunning venue, hopefully progressing & learning along the way.

Thanks for taking it as intended (took me 3 attempts to post due to STW gremlins so got more terse each time). I know Munqe-Chick has mentioned it to Tang. More generally around gridding I’ve had circular conversations with some organisers saying it is at Commie’s discretion, and with some Commies saying it is up to the organiser. I know for Central gridding is by the organisers and pre-entered visiting riders get gridded based on BC points-I’ve been bumped off the front row by ‘interlopers’ which I have absolutely no issue with because, guess what, they went on to kick my @rse. I’ve been gridded as a visitor at a Leics League round and that was after a chat with the commie.

It’s a terrific course at a cracking venue, and the whole set up means it deserves to thrive, it’s always had a very generous prize purse (my favourite road jerseys are the Lovecrossed winner’s jerseys that MC won that fit me 😀 ) but the barrier to it’s growth (beyond a few Elite-level prize hunters this year) is the deference to League gridding.

tang
    Free Member

Just a quick one on gridding; I have specifically asked (again) that out of league riders with points be gridded appropriately on the day. This has been supported by league secretary, and will be made a key issue with the chief com when assigned.
    Course this year is fairly unchanged except for a good sandpit and gridding/start feed in.
    Next year might be a stand alone national A at a different time of the season, with a league race at another date. But nothing decided.
    Anyways this year ‘should’ be a lot better! Always trying to improve. Hope to see some of you racing or otherwise. All the best.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Tang, thanks for the reply and for the efforts you’re making to resolve the issue – I hope the chief commy on the day is onboard and that the whole event is a success. Munqe-Chick is returning to defend her jersey but the stonking prizes have coaxed some big hitters out of London League so she’s managing her expectations 😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

anyone in for abingdon (wessex) on sunday. I’ll be there – forecast looks like rain, lots of possibly cold rain. 😯

say hi if your there. green cannondale, green push the cranks kit.

anyone know what facilities it has? showers/ changing rooms? anyone got a reccoemndation for a pub for food afterwards?

mick_r

Last race of the season this weekend. League position isn’t going to improve, so time to have a bit of fun.

Singlespeed ratio is a bit lower than I’d like, but will be a swamp anyway so unlikely to matter. Luckily I’m better suited to push and run rather than a shoulder carry…..

An no it isn’t UCI legal 🙂

legend
    Free Member

Good thinking! Never considered using a radiator as a bike to stay warm!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

ThomThumb Abingdon is a great course and drains well but there are NO facilities there its on an airfield with 2 portaloos. There’ll be loads of good pubs nearby in Botley and surrounding villages if you google I don’t know any specific but it’s known to be a nice area for pub grub.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Cheers Munqe-Chick. Good to hear it drains well! My wife suggested it might be cancelled due to the weather – I tried to explain – “This is cyclocross’, but i’m not sure that I made any sense (to her)!! 😆

thomthumb
    Free Member

Any experienced hands got any advice for wet weather gear.

I’ve got loads of kit available: but the crux is there isn’t time to change between practice and race.

At the moment i’m thinking of wearing a waterproof jacket and shorts for warm up; leaving them on the line and racing in a waterproof jersey. Short sleeve/ longsleeve and glove choice made sometime tommoroow lunch time.

padkinson
    Free Member

I’ve just entered the Euro SSCX champs at Koksidje, should be some good craic.
    Might need a bit of help with gear ratios, I’ve raced SSCX before but can’t for the life of me remember what size rings/cogs I used! It’ll be a 40t CX1 ring the front, so what rear cog would you lot recommend? I don’t mind a bit of grinding, I’d rather do more running than spin out too much anywhere.

The other thing to plan is the outfit. Need maximum comedy value without compromising performance too much. I’m thinking skinsuit, with denim jacket (if it’s cold) or brightly coloured shirt (if it’s warm) over the top, maybe some bright undies on top superhero style. Anyone got any good ideas?

ferrals
    Free Member

@thomthumb, you’re presumably only racing for a hour max, just get wet to ensure max breathibility, you won’t notice when your lungs are burning. Waterproof to practise/ warm up then ditch on start line. Nothing worse than being too hot in a cx race.

@padkinson – good luck! Massive fake moustache would set off that outfit perfectly 😆

BenjiM

I spotted you today MickR, couldn’t not notice you on that bike! Horrific conditions, I was marshalling all morning and then racing in the seniors. Brass Monkeys doesn’t even describe it. Just about defrosted now, but still got to get the kit washed :(. Well done for getting out today!

Garry_Lager

BenjiM – Member

I spotted you today MickR, couldn’t not notice you on that bike! Horrific conditions, I was marshalling all morning and then racing in the seniors. Brass Monkeys doesn’t even describe it. Just about defrosted now, but still got to get the kit washed :(. Well done for getting out today! Double marshall points in order there BenjiM, Arctic wind and rain over the field.

Quite enjoyed getting stuck into the race – had some good battles on the big quagmire loop but was getting rinsed on the open field. Some lads doing well running the whole thing, but that’s not my game. Didn’t see Mick_r – suspect he’s a good runner if he got that SS round four laps!

The cold made everything a logistical nightmare before and after with two kids racing. Like to think I do well with the cold but I was a jibbering wreck getting back to the car after clearing the pits out.

mick_r

Oooff I’m tired now 🙂 At least it raised a few smiles on a very grim day. I could have done 4 laps but chose to drop one place and tactically loiter at the end of lap 3 – me plodding that thing round for another long lap just makes the day drag out for the organisers and the next race.

The rad bike handles surprisingly well and all the rain at least stopped it clogging (youngest lad’s bike was double it’s normal weight with jammed snow from 1st race blizzard). My main problem was the ss ratio was a bit high for grinding through that level of uphill sludge. Can’t believe I was originally worried 32:17 would be too low!

Generally a happy family with eldest 2nd yoof and Mrs 2nd woman overall / 1st vet. Cleanup and logistics from 4 people racing is pretty bleak – glad that aspect of the season is over. Definitely a year for mud tyres…..

thomthumb
    Free Member

cheers Ferrals.

Well that was wet; probably the muddiest I’ve ever been! So wet the timing chips didn’t work!

Good fun though; the course was fantastic.

Much lower turnout than other rounds! It was the definition of bleak today though I wonder if that had an effect. Looking forward to next week’s season finale at Southampton.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

@Thomthumb sounds like you had fun! What did you race in the end? We had epic snowy conditions up in Misterton and had a brilliant race.

BenjiM

Double marshall points in order there BenjiM, Arctic wind and rain over the field.

Cheers! I managed to finish 12th which is my best result yet, although the field was somewhat shorter yesterday!

thomthumb
    Free Member

Today’s round at Southampton wasn’t quite so fun!

Sticky mud + lots of leaves meant bikes were clogging all over the place. I’d seen 4 broken mechs before i’d left the car park.

The start was placed so that it was a run from the line. I’m no runner & this didn’t do my asthma any good.

By bike was completely clogged after 30 mins, and i DNF’d. The bike was so heavy by this point I was struggling to lift it to my shoulder.

Second bike & pit crew required i think!

Should have taken my spikes – never even thought about it this morning! Need to improve at running. Need to not have an asthma attack first lap!

ferrals
    Free Member

Had a great day at round 2 of the filthy cross series in gilwern, Abergavenny. Was really surprised to find the rain we’ve had didn’t seem to have affected there, a bit sludgy in places, a bit slippy in others, but minimal heavy mud. Really good course: some nice hairpinny open field sections, a short run up, a drag climb, some fun offcamber twisty wooded descent and then a steep rolling drop that got rutted and required a fair bit of concentration. Sadly the senior race was pretty poorly attended but still had a good tight duel with another rider, I was getting gaps through the field sections, then he was getting back on the wooded stuff, ended up loosing to him by a second or two when I couldn’t shift into the big ring for the final sprint.  Good to catch up with shedbrewed and a few of the other Welsh league regulars.

think that’s my last cx race of the season, feels a bit disjointed as haven’t raced since the end of November. Not really got the results I had hoped for but wasn’t as fit as last season and it showed, not had any proper mud races either which is a shame. Great fun though, already looking forward to next season!

legend
    Free Member

First round of the Super Quaich series* yesterday, and I’m burst today! Great course but the weather had fairly taken its toll. Sections that had (apparently) been rapid last year were having to be run this time round. One of the descents even got so thick with mud that running was no slower than trying to plough through – thought i was going to lose my shoes a few times! Think there will be quite a few expensive repair bills after this round, quite a few mechs got eaten.

OTOH, first outing with Vittoria Terreno Wets on the bike and they were very impressive, probably better than the Challenge Limuses I used (in very similar conditions) at the start of the season – braking grip on off-camber descents with the wrong foot unclipped was nothing short of staggering.

Racing CX is turning out to be a great way to keep myself going with a baby in the house……… think i’ll go for a snooze now though….

*basically no categories including men/women, you’re just in the A or B race depending on how quick you’ve been at other races

Garry_Lager

think that’s my last cx race of the season, feels a bit disjointed as haven’t raced since the end of November. Not really got the results I had hoped for but wasn’t as fit as last season and it showed, not had any proper mud races either which is a shame. Great fun though, already looking forward to next season!

No mud in Wales? Quite a heavy season in the NW, with a couple of absolute deluge courses. First time I’ve seen running be a huge difference-maker, last season I barely ran ten yards total, whereas this year there were 100 yard stretches at a time. Couple of lads in the final race must have ran miles.
    First half of my season was a bit of a shambles with equipment problems and injury, but still enjoyed every race pretty much – that’s cross for you.

Ran a tubular bike and a tubeless bike for 3 races, which was a good comparison. Tubs definitely better in heavy mud in a straightish line, and uphill. Cornering though I think I preferred the stiffer tubeless carcass. Don’t like the way tubs fold a bit in the corners, felt more confident on tubeless. I guess you adapt your technique either way.

Next season I’ll try to get some running under the belt – found the actual running OK, it was more the getting back on the bike afterwards. Remounting after an uphill burn was savage, proper breathing out your aris time. Having the fitness to push through this would be worth a few places.

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 531 total)

The topic ‘2017/2018 cx racing thread’ is closed to new replies.