• This topic has 530 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by tiim.
Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 531 total)
  • 2017/2018 cx racing thread
  • whattiler
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of chain drops with my oval chainring, Absolute Black one. That’s in nearly a year’s use though and both in muddy conditions. I think they are probably more prone than round in the mud but 2 in a year isn’t enough to stop me using them.

pdw
    Free Member

Still not sure what was wrong but both jockey wheels now seized solid! Anyone else had that??

Yep, SRAM does that. Pop the seals off, knock the mud out, flush with WD40, regrease. The bearings on mine seem to be a standard type, but I’ve never got round to trying to replace them.

Also if you’re jet washing after a race and then not touching it for a week, try to give the pedals a quick spin every day so that they don’t get a chance to seize up.

sb88
    Free Member

I’m just going to have a moan – was getting into the Yorkshire series as my first proper go at bike racing and have had to have a lay off due to some weird swelling under one of my sit bones. Shame as I was creeping up race by race (I.e. from like 7th from last to 9th last). Hope to be back for York!

wavy27

Thanks for the input, everyone. I decided to strip the jockey wheels down last night, more or less as as pdw says. They went from locked solid to free spinning with a bit of work. I’ve put them back together with oil rather than grease as I think it was the grease/mud mix that was the problem. I could see it happening again so looking for a long term solution.
    Will stick with the oval ring for the next event as it may have been the jockey wheels causing the chain drops.
    sb88 – I sympathize. YCCA’s are really addictive! I’ll be at York. Should be a bit less muddy as there’s no woodland bits.

13thfloormonk

Ug, so much for replacing the bearings in my SRAM GX jockey wheels, that’s them seized again!

Wavy, maybe consider the NX jockey wheels, only cost £10 and apparently run on bushes instead of bearings…

legend
    Free Member

Bushes could be a good idea, any power loss through the drivetrain isn’t going to be the result of the different bearing type! Think i’ve got 4 rides on my Apex mech, jockey wheels are also going the traditional Sram way already.

Plean was really good btw, you would’ve enjoyed the course. It was minging but not sloggy. Unfortunately it was minging enough that the teeth on my chainring were buried by halfway making me drop the chain and have to clean the bike before I could get going again!

SirHC

Ug, so much for replacing the bearings in my SRAM GX jockey wheels, that’s them seized again!

Clean them out, pack them with mobil xhp222 grease. Periodically regrease them. Also worth doing it from new, as they have a pathetic amount of grease in.

Seamus
    Free Member

[/quote]

Bushes could be a good idea, any power loss through the drivetrain isn’t going to be the result of the different bearing type! Think i’ve got 4 rides on my Apex mech, jockey wheels are also going the traditional Sram way already.

Replaced my SRAM GX jockey wheels with Shimano 105, I think bushes are definitely the best solution for cross

wavy27

Funnily enough, I’ve always had shimano jockey wheels with bushes, rather than bearings on my mountainbikes and virtually never had a problem in more than 25 years of mud!

13thfloormonk

Plean was really good btw, you would’ve enjoyed the course.

Yeah, I saw the photos, it looked great!

That run up looked tough though, and the running has definitely been my downfall this year.

Definitely can’t make Strathclyde next year (wife has wrangled us a free stay in some posh hotel in St Andrews, the hardship!) but might hold out for Superquaich rd 1.

Otherwise I’ll have to gracefully concede to the better man (for this season 😉 )

legend
    Free Member

The run up was ok tbh, it was pretty short and not too steep – certainly nothing compared to the one at Irvine!

Hopefully see you at the SQ races then. Think I’m going to enter all of them in the hope it gets me picked (assuming it’ll be over-subscribed). Praying they don’t find me worthy of the A race! St Andrews has lots of sand to practice on, so a double win 🙂

Did you see there’s also a race at Chatelrault (Hamilton) at the end of February?

ferrals
    Free Member

sb88 – Member

I’m just going to have a moan – was getting into the Yorkshire series as my first proper go at bike racing and have had to have a lay off due to some weird swelling under one of my sit bones. Shame as I was creeping up race by race (I.e. from like 7th from last to 9th last). Hope to be back for York!

Unlucky!

I’ve a sneaking feeling my season is over. I’d been fairly surprised to get this far through without any manflu related hiccups, but on the way home from racing on Sunday I started feeling distictly odd and had to take the first half of the week off sick with a high temp and more mucus than Noel Edmonds gunge tank. General consenus is it takes 3 weeks to shift this particular virus which means I’ll be feeling fit just after the last race i had planned 👿

THough if that is the case I’ll do some of the post chrismas races to make up for it 😀

@ all you Scottish folk, I was waching some footage from your round at Mull in my bed-ridden youtube wanderings – looks an epic course!

legend
    Free Member

Yeah apparently it’s the best course in the series – i’m not going 🙁

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Rain today, then snow and ice to follow maybe?
    Should be a fun trophy race.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Anyone else doing the trophy race at Bradford tomorrow? Just got to a hotel nearby and the car park is sheet ice.
    Should be scared but instead I’m so excited. Hoping for an epic ‘cross experience in the morning.

Garry_Lager

Good luck rollingdoughnut, hope the race is suitably epic.
    Had an entry to the N Wales event at Wrexham but it’s been called off – story of the season, unfortunately. Race would prob be fine but it’s more the weather decimating everyone’s travel to the course I guess.

TiRed

Hillingdon today. Gevenalle shifters and min v brakes were great.

Appropriately named bike too!

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Bradford quickly went from frozen, dry ground to mud today but I wasn’t complaining as I enjoy slithering around and was pleased with my commitment to the ruts when they were available. Managed 15th Vet40 which I was well pleased with as a top twenty has been a bit of a dream for the last two years.

LS
    Free Member

Tough day out eh? Warming up at 9am I thought it was going to be basically dry and quick, but no by 10.15 we had standard Bradford again 😆

ferrals
    Free Member

Western league folk – what’s the odda’s chapel venue like? Quite fancy a nye race!

hoopyfrood
    Free Member

Western league folk – what’s the odda’s chapel venue like? Quite fancy a nye race!

Strava segment for the course that’s been used in the past is https://www.strava.com/segments/13875081. From memory the lap was as follows:
    – Longish climb to start the lap. It was hard in the summer race there and I’m told it was unrideable for the last winter race.
    – Round the edge of a field
    – Mostly single track descent through woods.
    – Rest of the lap is flatish field edge and farm tracks.

I’ve only ridden it in the summer, so I’m not sure what to expect mudwise.

matt-lewis
    Free Member

Great course in the summer and the winter. You can get up the hill so long as you don’t go nuts with the mince pies 🙂

Matt Lewis

ferrals
    Free Member

Cheers both, will either do that or the filthy cross round depending on where that is. Want to get a couple of more races in as missing a couple this weekend and last – not ready for it to be end of season yet!

matt-lewis
    Free Member

I think that the Filthy cross round is in Monmouth and it has BC points attached. Plenty more races and then the summer series kicks off in May. Cross across the year.

Matt

ferrals
    Free Member

yeah I thought the filthy cross was in Monmouth- any idea what course will be like? Most likely do that if it looks like a good course as it’s closer to home.

matt-lewis
    Free Member

Jon Moyle the organizer has been saying great things about the new venue at Monmouth. It’s my hometown too so I could cycle there!

Lets pester Jon on Sunday at the champs.

Matt

ferrals
    Free Member

Wish I was going to be at the champs, been ill since Pembrey, now on antibiotics, tried turboing last night and lasted ten minutes.
    Sounds like I’ll do Monmouth then – loved to look of his course for last w/e, shame it was cancelled hoping to do that round in Feb

matt-lewis
    Free Member

Jon puts on some great races. That was a cracking circuit last Feb. Looking forward to the champs just trying to avoid booze until after the race!

weeksy

Watched some racing from Belgium on Eurosport last night… That was just BRUTAL ! It just baffles the heck out of me how they can ride like that, with that power, lack of grip, ruts, mud and are still absolute BEASTS ! Madness

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Good work at the Welsh champs Matt Lewis. Hope you had a well deserved beer after.
    I was just glad to finish with a just-working bike and round the year off with the race. Pleased to have done it 7 months after my injuries but still would’ve liked to have been on last years form. Hey ho. Next year…
    Ferrals hope you’re on the mend mate.

matt-lewis
    Free Member

Good hard course Thom. I had a few beers! Pretty impressive that you managed to race this year at all considering that crash and nasty injury. Impressive stuff!

Garry_Lager

Do any of ye run a chain guide or similar thing on an oval ring? Had some chain issues with a new bike at Stadt moers at the weekend – 105 derailleur on an AB oval has been flawless on my old CAADX, including some really heavy races. New one not so happy with it, persistently threw the chain in the latter stages of the race. Wondering how you get this to work on an oval where the top of the chainring rises and falls?

I’m running a slightly smaller chainring on the new bike which is slackening the chain a touch, could be part of the problem. Taking a link out looks a bit on the tight side but should prob try this out, just hard to replicate cross conditions riding round the trails.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I use an inner blank ring on my 1x set up to stop the chain shipping inside. I’ve not had a problem with it going arm-side.
    I can’t see why it wouldn’t work with an oval ring too.

ferrals
    Free Member

shedbrewed – Member
    and round the year off with the race.

Not tempted by the filthy cross on NYE Thom?

Pleased to have done it 7 months after my injuries

Super impressive that mate, onwards and upwards and all.

Ferrals hope you’re on the mend mate.

Actually felt ok for a couple of days and then the little ones biological warfare campaign kicked back in and I’m ill again 😆

Still enough whisky over christmas should burn it all out 😀

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Cheers and hope the whisky does the job for you.
    NYE race is cancelled but the later races are still on according to Jon M.

ferrals
    Free Member

Ah shame about that… Western league for me then I think.. though I’m wallowing in mince pies already so racing might be done and I’ll just get back to sliding down hills on my bum clutching my mtb 😀

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Central’s Lovelo Crossmas round lived up to expectations, with loads of sloppy mud (rained on race day) to add to their famous bridge, and also a “snow hill” where they cut a track through all the piled up snow. Three weeks off the bike (diving in Cozumel 8) ) has put paid to my fitness so it was a fun race, but my lowest league position (offset by racing in full elf costume). Thankfully I banked 8 consistent races before the break (best 8 count) and it looks like I might end up top 5 overall this year which I’d be stoked with (battled to come 10th last year). Munqe Chick has the Senior womens’ league wrapped up so is also racing the holiday excess off for fun.

Saturday is the last Central round at Corby, Glebe Park Destroyer of Mechs (20+ in 2015 😯 ). Then we’re off to the Boxing Day Cross at Kenilworth which is a cracker (swoopy mtb style course with a climb on a closed road and a natural bowl that all the local residents come out and spectate/cheer/heckle) and trying to get myself race-fit in time for the Nationals.

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 531 total)

The topic ‘2017/2018 cx racing thread’ is closed to new replies.