• This topic has 530 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by tiim.
Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 531 total)
  • 2017/2018 cx racing thread
  • crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

a fun and largely successful day out at the award-winning RAF Halton with Central. 6 tons of sand but in a short deep pit so a brief shoe-clogging run, barriers in a dip which ruled out riding the banks (unless you were one precocious junior who hopped the barriers too) and their infamous gravel driveway, accompanied by a marching band whilst you rode it on both directions.

I had a blinding start, getting into a frankly shocking 2nd place in a field stacked with current and former League big-hitters, rode like a prat trying to stay there and had a huge OTB during a remount attempt (front wheel dug into a rut just as I went to jump on) which dropped me down to 4th. 3rd place man pinch-flatted on a metal strip that bordered the gravel and I was up to 3rd. On the last lap I pinch-flatted my 2-ride-old front FMB tub on the same place 🙄 (as did dozens of riders by the sounds of it) but managed to nurse it home and hold onto my first ever CXL podium spot (something of a season ambition).

Munqe Chick monstered the womens’ race, not only winning senior but being first woman overall for the first time this season and with a huge gap.

So we rounded it off with cheering club mates on in Seniors whilst eating frites ‘n’ mayo and drinking coffee and a top way to round off banking 8 rounds (best 8 count) before we go on hols mid-season and miss 3 races 😕

crazybaboon

IVe run Specialized Terras this season in the Notts & Derby league
    They’ve been great tyres but were overwhelmed in the last round at markeaton park and had to run a couple of times up the climbs
    Running tubeless at around 25psi front and 28/30 psi rear, I’m 90kgs and haven’t had any problems
    Could probably run them even lower on a smooth course
    Might try a different tyre like a pdx or Vittoria terreno wet

LS
    Free Member

IVe run Specialized Terras this season in the Notts & Derby league
    They’ve been great tyres but were overwhelmed in the last round at markeaton park and had to run a couple of times up the climbs

This is a good example of the difference between good clinchers/tubeless and tubulars. I was running Supermuds at about 20 rear 18 front and rode the entire course for the full race, even as it cut up. They had more to give as well, I’ve been as low as 15r/13-14f before. Tubeless is good but it’s not quite there yet.

13thfloormonk

Legend, you seen the series standings?

You’ve got three points on me, reconsidering my mid-season retirement now… 😉

legend
    Free Member

13thfloormonk – Member

Legend, you seen the series standings?

You’ve got three points on me, reconsidering my mid-season retirement now…

I hadn’t no, but I’m happy to hear that……..loser 😉

Think I’ve gone 41st, 43rd, 53rd. So if I continue like that you’ll overtake me even if you don’t race 🙂 The only SCX left for me now is Strathclyde Park. Wish I was doing Mull though, sounds like a good weekend

13thfloormonk

Don’t think it works like that, I’d only overtake you now if they give out negative points! I’d need to finish with four more points (which at our level is four places…) to overtake you.

Suddenly makes Strathclyde Park seem a lot more exciting, the battle for 71st in the series standings! 😀

legend
    Free Member

sorry I was being facetious/a **** 🙂 Although I reckon I could get negative points somehow. It does indeed make the last round interesting *goes off to buy a seat tube motor*

Now….. would I just try and sit on your wheel for the whole race or not?! 🙂

Garry_Lager

mick_r – Member

Which category were you racing Garry? Definitely like an MTB course in places so suited me fine. I’m surprisingly finding the running suits me so as we have a gap for almost a month I’m going to try and practice a bit – Stadt Moers is certain to be muddy. I’m V40 mick – rolled in 46th on Sat. I also find I do well on the runups relative to those I’m usually battling with – no idea why, as I’m a million miles from a runner. Maybe it’s just down to the psychology of committing to a tough running stretch, and not everyone fancies it.

Stadt moers is one of my favourite courses so looking forward to that – just a shame the calender’s gotten hammered this year with cancelled events. Must be very frustrating for folk putting time into organising a race having had the go-ahead, only for a last minute change of mind by the council or whomever.

13thfloormonk

sorry I was being facetious

d’oh, I just thought you were using some super complicated weighted average of past placings multiplied by the phase of the moon or something…

Could be an embarrassing Contador/Schleck style stand-off where we just track stand on the start line eyeballing one another rather than being the sucker who provides the back wheel to follow 😆

I joke, but I’ve already forfeited that weekend to husbandly duties so it would require some extraordinarily delicate diplomacy to get the day off. Will work on it…

mick_r

I’m V40 mick – rolled in 46th on Sat

Ha! I was in the dizzy heights of 38th 🙂 tried to cling onto your clubmate Mr McP for a lap but as always he just gets faster whilst I get slower….

I’m not a big fan of stadt but think that is more to do with dog muck.

It has been a hard year for the organisers r.e. venues. Not sure why Lancaster don’t use Salt Ayre – they did a youth CX race there that worked really well.

legend
    Free Member

13thfloormonk – Member
    Could be an embarrassing Contador/Schleck style stand-off where we just track stand on the start line eyeballing one another rather than being the sucker who provides the back wheel to follow

I joke, but I’ve already forfeited that weekend to husbandly duties so it would require some extraordinarily delicate diplomacy to get the day off. Will work on it…

Yeah shame if you cant make it – if we did the trackstand thing long enough we might only have to do half a lap!

ferrals
    Free Member

Still idly thinking about tubular, though won’t be much point now this season with only 3 races left but maybe for next year. What’s the right sort of internal width? Seen 25mm on the crc own brand, and advertised as sub 1300g, but they rate from 25-33mm so maybe a bit narrow?

BenjiM

I’ve been using I ran tubeless Schwalbe X-One all round tubeless for the last few NWCCA events and they’ve been fine. Came in 23rd in the Seniors so I was chuffed with that, seeing as it’s my first CX season. Didn’t think I’d have the legs on Sunday for a 3 hour MBO Score up in the Lakes, but managed a 3rd there by control! Great weekend of racing 🙂

As above shame about Lancaster Uni, particularly when they sign up to do it they know the likely outcome for the grass!

Garry_Lager

errals – Member

Still idly thinking about tubular, though won’t be much point now this season with only 3 races left but maybe for next year. What’s the right sort of internal width? Seen 25mm on the crc own brand, and advertised as sub 1300g, but they rate from 25-33mm so maybe a bit narrow? Not sure how internal / external measurement works for tubular rims, but 25mm sounds nice and broad. I have a set of the planet-x 38 deep ones that are common at races and they are 23mm wide across.
    Profile is important, although you’d assume something marketed as a contemporary CX rim would be OK here. I bought a Chinese set without paying enough attention to this – they’re the right width but a bit dipped in profile and have caused me some problems. Be retiring them to the road for next year.
    Worth getting a few recommendations on what works from other racers I reckon.

Mrs.Butcher
    Free Member

Seen 25mm on the crc own brand, and advertised as sub 1300g, but they rate from 25-33mm so maybe a bit narrow?

23mm is pretty much the modern standard. Tubular rim width has less influence on tyre profile as compared to clinchers, it’s all about providing glue surface area.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Ferrals, are you on 10 or 11 speed?
    You’re welcome to borrow a wheelset to try Tubs, big boys rules apply. Mine are all 10 speed disc and canti

13thfloormonk

Still amazed at the low pressures being discussed, are you not constantly banging rims? Cornering must be a pretty delicate affair too no?

I had horrible traction all over the course at the weekend but put it down to clogged tyres rather than the wrong pressures…

leggyblonde
    Free Member

are you not constantly banging rims? Cornering must be a pretty delicate affair too no

Yes and you get used to the squirm. If you don’t hit the rim once or twice a lap, your tubs are probably too hard. Look at how fast the pros corner and you’ll see what’s possible!

Having said that, there is a bit of willy-waving with CX tyre pressures though, people love to boast about how low they can go.

ferrals
    Free Member

Ferrals, are you on 10 or 11 speed?

Cheers mate, 11sp unfortunately. Also knowing my luck I’d puncture, ridem tem over a rock and owe you a set of wheels! Will just keep umming and ah-ing until I actually have some money 😆

These were the ones that cought my eye: CRC own brand wheels

About £600 with BC discount, a lot of money but less than a brand name rim and 1260g for the wheelset.

At least this coming sundayat Pembrey low pressures shouldnt be in order anyway!

@13thfloor, lower pressure also = less clogging as the tyres move more shedding more mud, this is noticable tubeless as well. I probably feel the clatter of rim a couple of times a race. I remember reading with tubs you should have pressure where by you feel it strike 1-2 times a lap!

re. te cornering – I guess its how well you trust your set up!

legend
    Free Member

Suddenly feeling like my 25PSi and 63kg is a bit inadequate 😳 Zero dings per race on Sunday

thomthumb
    Free Member

Having said that, there is a bit of willy-waving with CX tyre pressures though, people love to boast about how low they can go.

gagues on pumps are notoriously inaccurate. Very difficult to compare.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

TheWyman Method

I usually use around 25psi in PDX clinchers (which come up wide) at 65kg, still experimenting/learning with tubs but I can say 21psi was too low in the front on Sunday 😥

gagues on pumps are notoriously inaccurate

no serious CXer relies on the pump gauge, doesn’t EVERYONE have a Topeak Smarthead Digital?! 🙂

ferrals
    Free Member

no serious CXer relies on the pump gauge, doesn’t EVERYONE have a Topeak Smarthead Digital?!

Think of the errors involved when removing pump and checking with gauge though?!! Must be loosing half a psi at least when fiddling around 😯

I used to use an SKS digital guage but it got gunked with sealant so now just use the track pump gauge and self calibrate.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Think of the errors involved when removing pump and checking with gauge though?!! Must be loosing half a psi at least when fiddling around

the Topeak has a bleed valve and a function that means it can live-read the pressure, so I usually whack them up to say 30 with a track pump, then fine tune it down with the gauge.

I used to use an SKS digital gauge but it got gunked with sealant

I may discover this is a very valid point when I try and repair my tub with sealant, and you have my permission to gloat when I post about trashing my gauge 😀

13thfloormonk

What I’m taking from this is that 42psi front and rear for an 85kg rider (maybe 83kg, haven’t weighed in in a while!) is a touch high? 8)

Clincher with latex tubes and fairly basic tyres, have rimmed once in three races I think…

edit: actually I only bottomed the rims out when bunnyhopping on the tarmac at Fife College trying to shed some mud! 😀

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’m sure my pump reads high. But i’m closer to HWs tub starting point than clinchers & i’m on clichers. 70kg and i last weekend i started at 20 psi.

legend
    Free Member

85kg rider (maybe 83kg, haven’t weighed in in a while!)

*hatches plan to attack on a hill*

whattiler
    Free Member

There are so many variables in courses, tyres, inner tubes, rims, rider weight, riding style that asking for advice on pressures is pretty pointless. I used to have a digital gauge and obsess with it to the half psi, but now I use my thumb. Put it across the the tyre and press with all my weight. If it touches the rim then a bit more in until it doesn’t.

That’s my starting point.

The only real way to get the right pressure for a course is to ride it and adjust accordingly. If I’m hitting the rim on just an uneven surface then add more, I take it as given I will hit the rim on roots. If I’m not getting enough grip in mud take some out, I’d rather take the risk of punctures than having to go slowly round corners. Saying that I’ve only ever punctured once in a race in 5 years, using mainly Challenge open tubulars and latex tubes, but also tubeless and tubs. I have however rolled tubs in a race and ruined one on a warm up lap which is why I’ve given up on them. Tubeless for dry and intermediate conditions, Limus with latex for mud.

Squirmy low pressure does take some getting used too and I know people with lovely hand made tubs that just don’t like it and only ever put them at 30psi or above.

Ride the course and use whatever pressure you’re happy with. Don’t get dragged in to a willy waving contest as noted above.

legend
    Free Member

Non-series race for me this weekend. Only 34 Seniors racing – this’ll be the first time I’ve raced with less than 100 others on the track!

ferrals
    Free Member

Pembrey in S. Wales for me. Not a course that suits me as its flat, fast and not very tecnical. Still I’m frothing after not racing for a couple of weeks 🙂

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Raced National Trophy at Cyclopark this morning.
    And to think your average mountain biker thinks they’re hardcore!
    Best moment had to be brakes off descending, one foot unclipped, down a slick slope onto muddy tarmac when the guy in front of me goes over the bars and cartwheels across my path. Had to swerve violently (screaming “watch out”!) before hitting the tarmac and the back end sliding right out almost 90degrees. It’s a race so power on, grin to yourself and get back to business.
    I may be down in the twenties but I didn’t hit the deck. 🙂

ferrals
    Free Member

Looked like an epic course that. Definitely keen to try some N.T.’s next year if I can get a bit fitter.

Pembrey today was an excellent course. It was primarily a full on roadie grass crit but with lots of fun bits interspersed. As expected didn’t have a result that will count towards my series position but had a fun race. Properly drained now, not been this tired after a race since I was racing as a teenager 20 years ago. Problem is back then I could just sleep and be fed food, now trying to prep for work and look after a baby has made the afternoon rather challenging 😆

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Nice to see you again Ferrals. I didn’t have my legs in yesterday at all. Added to a derailleur issue meaning skipped shifts and I was quite grumpy at the end. Fast course, think there was only a handful of places that needed brakes. See you at Crickhowell?

ferrals
    Free Member

Good to see you too. Yeah should be at crickhowell, though succumbed to a brutal dose of manflu overnight so will see how quickly I shift that. Saw a bit of vid and it looks a good course. Did you do the filthycycling one there last year?

bikebouy
    Free Member

The World Cup at Zeven is being shown tonight on Eurosport at 1830..

wavy27

Verrrry muddy at Queensbury, Bradford on Sunday for YCCA. Somehow scraped third in MV50 (I think a lot were away at National Trophy). Didn’t realize at the time so missed the podium (too cold for hanging around anyway). Ran through most of the thickest mud but still had fairly major transmission problems with the new (to me) bike. 1×11 Sram Force with oval aftermarket ring. Dropped the chain about six times. Still not sure what was wrong but both jockey wheels now seized solid! Anyone else had that??

13thfloormonk

Still not sure what was wrong but both jockey wheels now seized solid! Anyone else had that??

This is an SRAM speciality, happened to me more than once. The bearings just corrode and seize or muck gets in. They cost an arm and a leg to replace as well 👿

However, spare bearings are cheap and readily available, see this thread

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/this-is-why-i-avoid-sram-what-replacement-gx-jockey-wheels

For links to bearing numbers, how-to for replacing (dead simple if you have a hammer basically) and a link to a store that sells them.

Someone also linked up to replacement NX jockey wheels which don’t use bearings, so less likely to seize, however I’m not sure the number of teeth is the same and am pretty sure this is important for correct chain wrap/tension etc.

wavy27

Thanks for the advice 13thfloormonk. I’ll start digging for info. Sram do seem to have a habit of making ‘wear & tear’ spares of cheese and charging a fortune for replacements.

Was also wondering if my oval chainring is a good thing? Can’t practically use a chain guide with oval.

mick_r

Yup – SRAM just do that. Don’t think the mud-wash-dryforaweek-repeat routine agrees with them.

Just put a Shimano MTB (sealed brg) one on my 10spd SRAM setup and it seems to work OK.

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 531 total)

The topic ‘2017/2018 cx racing thread’ is closed to new replies.