• This topic has 780 replies, 86 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by ac282.
Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 781 total)
  • 2017 XC Racing Thread
  • mick_r

Gandale is usually one of the quieter Nutcracker rounds anyway. Then they had to move the date (also making it land in school holidays). So lots of people had already entered other races or booked weekends away / holidays prior to the date change.

But Dalby was definitely a bit quieter than last few years.

steve_b77
    Free Member

rsvktm – Member
    Wife and I are doing the Scott Marathon this weekend and not sure what to expect. Done the Northumberland Collossus and Behemouth, presume these run on a similar format ie mass start and a big first climb to sort it out. Good luck to all doing it, looks good weather wise

Yeah it’s a mass start, whippets and those who think they are get to the front, but thankfully the big climb at the start sorts that out.

If it’s windy, by god it’s windy.

Don’t be tempted to ride across the concrete bridge looking thing on top of the moor as it’s got a **** off big gap in the middle

Kryton57

and those who think they are

See you at the front! 😀

Don’t be tempted to ride across the concrete bridge looking thing on top of the moor as it’s got a **** off big gap in the middle

Is thier a marked alternative e.g. a/b line?

rsvktm

Cheers all, really looking forward to it. We’ve been racing xc for a good few years and will have to temper the initial rush to singletrack urge 🙂
    Kryton57, starting further back means more fun ie overtaking rather than been overtaken..

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Anyone racing Midlands round 2 on Sunday?

ferrals
    Free Member

No racing for me till Wasing. Off to find some gap jumps to practise on 😆

Marginally OT, but figured may as well stick this here – is anyone using thunder burts? I am optimistically convinced its going to be a dry summer (seeing as I used beaver for half the summer races last year). Are they that much faster than racing ralphs? might get one for the rear and put the ralphI normally put on the rear for the summer on the front to replace the rons f&r I’ve got on at the moment.

everyone
    Free Member

I’ll be at the midlands! Never raced at Hanchurch before so no idea what to expect.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’ve got a tunderburt! Never used it though…. I’m half tempted to stick it on the rear with a Ron up front. I’ll wait until my 2 ralphs wear out first.

I’ve heard they are good but don’t last long

adsh
    Free Member

If you’ve got it use it but adjust your braking accordingly. I know at least one podium dweller who tried them and didn’t get on.

starrman82
    Free Member

Ferrals, i think the gap jump has gone at Wasing. Wasn’t in for SXC Rnd 1. Better off practicing your drop offs for the big A line..
    Hope its drier than SXC.

gee
    Free Member

Burts are one of my favourite tyres for particular courses, Wasing being one. They don’t like braking on loose surfaces, they don’t like rocks/flints and they don’t really like cornering hard, so Wasing is about perfect for them as it’s all either hardback dirt or loam. Just don’t touch the front brake and you’ll be fine. They have good cornering knobbles but you have to lean it over a bit. They are much faster than a Ralph, and lighter too, but they are also smaller volume and thinner – it’s the same size carcass as the old Furious Fred. They are considerably less scary than a Furious Fred, which was the old semi slick and was totally bald. Go for a 2.25 as it’s about the same size as a 2.1 Ralph.

Make sure you buy the Snakeskin ones. The normal ones (Racelight) are like ribbed condoms they are so thin.

I used them in the Alps for MB Race once, not knowing what to expect. They weren’t entirely suitable…

wheely
    Free Member

Anyone raced with SWXC as their series is starting soon in Devon.
    First race at East Budleigh. Anyone know what this location is like ??

ferrals
    Free Member

Cheers Gee, think I’ll stick to the Ron/Ralph combo, too lazy to change tyres that often and lots of rocks and loose gravelly stuff by me.

ernie

Burt on the front was great for battle on the beach

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Raced at Hanchurch Woods today. Midlands Round 2. Wow that was a really tough course and the weather was just hot hot hot!

Raced Sport category and came somewhere in the top 10. 7th or 8th I think. Massive turnout too, I reckon at least 45-50 riders in my category! Start was fast, dusty, couldn’t see the ground… climbed into 2nd place before we got to the single track and quickly realised I wasn’t going to sustain that pace for the whole race… lost a few places when someone from another category stalled in front of me on a technical section. Lost a few more places over the next few laps.

Course was ace, some long climbs and the descents were really demanding. Dusty as hell, rooty and slippery.

So that’s 4 races over the last 4 weeks for me. No racing next weekend thank god. Next race Wasing Nationals

weeksy

That’s great going again mate.

I’ve got southern xc planned next Sunday, but a lot depends on Rockingham the day before.

everyone
    Free Member

I absolutely loved Hanchurch today, those climbs felt like they were made for me and I actually felt vaguely confident coming down the descents.

Got a terrible start because I just couldn’t see anything and the mid pack where I was felt really sketchy, didn’t want to put a massive effort in on that first climb either since I knew I’d have to manage the heat and cramp.

I ended up being stuck in a no mans land for the last lap or so which I really hate and find it really hard to stay motivated to push on.

Kryton57

Scott Marathon at Builth Wells, That was hard, not helped by the 20 degree heat, Ive got -red- tan lines. Not being a climber I struggled a lot, especially on the second section over the moorland that together with the wind coming across went on and on and on and on. And once that had you dog tired after about an hour, you then plummeted down the whole lot hard bouncy drop-edge single track trying to keep focus in about 10 minutes.

Very tired now, 62k and 1500m claimed in 4h dead. But, brilliant. I think it’d be wise to take the Anthem rather than carbon HT to future marathons!

ianpv
    Free Member

I was at Builth Wells today, too. Old school xc fun. Really enjoyed it – 3.25 for the 62km loop, despite a few mechanicals, reasonably pleased with that. Glad I was on the spearfish and not the hardtail, but still managed to hit a tree avoiding someone who crashed in front of me.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Hanchurch results online –

(Website slow at the mo though). Managed 7th out of 51, proper chuffed 8)

http://www.timelaps.co.uk/assets/uploads/EVENTREPORT.aspx?eventid=226SwynnertonOldPark09/04/2017

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Builth Wells for me too. 62km in 3hrs10min 😀

LS
    Free Member

Hanchurch for me today too. Cracking course, really enjoyed it although the heat was a bit of a shock to the system, as was the race duration! Proper flowing course where the tech bits were a place to make time if you were capable but without being dangerous for the sake of it.
    Managed to get on to the podium in the V40s off the back of few weeks’ base training so more than happy.

rsvktm

Builth Wells at the weekend, that was hot. Next time carry more than one bottle, fair bit of cramp. A few numpties on the road section, can see why they have a safety car. Just under 3:30 for me and 4:45 for my wife for the full. Well organised and signed event, even I didn’t get lost.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Good work LS. Quick lap times from you too.

So what’s Wasing Park like? Flat, hilly, rocky, technical? All I know is it’s a 380 mile round trip for me!

weeksy

plenty of youtube Vids on Wasing mate.

If they run the same layout at Southern XC it seems to be very fire-roady and fast.

ianpv
    Free Member

rollindoughnut – 3hrs10 is a great ride – were you riding with Nick Craig?

rsvktm – I guess we probably crossed paths a few times given your time – what were you riding?

Next time I’d carry two bottles and only stop at one feed stop. And make sure that the mech I fitted the night before was working properly under load, and not just in the stand… 🙄

ferrals
    Free Member

So what’s Wasing Park like?

Never been there but as I understand it its flat and fast with a few things like this:
    Big drop on facebook

Vids on Youtube make it look really fun. Decent number already entered for sport when I entered. It must be hillier than Pembrey?

rsvktm

Ianpv, riding a black fs trek with a red top on, you? Chatted to a few people out there, was a good day out. Been used to a dropper and grippier tyres so was a bit clueless in the woods and edgier sections with seat right up, but the fast tyres came in everywhere else. Official time 3:27 just need to lose a bit of winter chub for the next one.

ianpv
    Free Member

Orange salsa spearfish making terrible noises, swearing rider, black top.

I really enjoyed it – don’t often do proper flat out descents like those, and all the bench cut sheep tracks were great – even the one I rode off the side of 😕 . The course was way better than I was expecting to be honest . Glad I went for fast tyres, although I struggled a bit in the woods too and hit a tree when someone crashed right in front of me.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

How competitive are these Scott Marathons? Am I right in thinking that they’re not official races? (Assume because of public land?). Any prizes for the first guys back? From people’s stories it sounds like a flat out race!

The one in September in hope Valley is quite local to me so I’m tempted to have a go

ianpv
    Free Member

They’re not races, and there are no prizes. But I’d say there are probably about 100 people riding quite quickly, and trying to get to the end as fast as possible 🙂

More people are there for a biggish sociable waymarked day out in the hills, with food stops, too.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I rode most of it with a guy called Lewellyn, who was wearing Poc shorts.
    Funnily enough came across Nick Craig just before the finish line as 3 of us were sprinting for the finish. Not that it’s a race;)

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Question folks –

Why do you think Expert and Elite categories are significantly smaller than the likes of sport?

For example – 50-60 riders in Sport this weekend at Hanchurch, about 10-15 in Expert and Giles Drake was the only Elite Male rider of the weekend…

Imagine working hard to get promoted into Elite and then having nobody to race. Much bigger field at the nationals but still no comparison to Sport

ferrals
    Free Member

Its the way it should be, not everyone should be elite / expert!

I guess they try and arrange it so only the very best are elite: 1/6th elite 2/6ths expert 3/6ths sport or so would be about right i think.

They move the top x up every year towards elite but there are also people in elite/expert becoming vets so should be able to maintain a steady number of elites.

If you get moved up to expert but constantly come last do you get moved back down to sport?

I do get your point though, sometimes in the welsh series, it looks there is only 1-2 elites racing

sebgt
    Free Member

From what I gather there are 50 Elites in the county with usually the top 5 experts move up plus 1 or 2 juniors depending on ability. 5 elites move down but some can stay or go Vet or be both… Experts there are probably close to 150, doesn’t appear that the get dropped back to Sport unless they score no points in a season but could be wrong. Top 15 sport move up to expert aswell as a few juniors

sefton
    Free Member

raced rd.2 of the Midlands yesterday. great course and what a nice day for it. gridded out back but didn’t put in a performance any how. lack of racing and skillz. seem to have lost over 10 places since the midland races early last year. all good though.

weeksy

Southern xc at checkendon today.

Lol my class is full of race gods. Chatting to guy next to me who’s using as a warm up before heading to Denmark to race big boys series!

Along with guys sponsored as part of the pedal on shop team.
    Loads of guys running Di2 gears etc.

Course has been ridden, its fast, rooty, tight and twisty. Nothing too complex though for sure. Took it easy until a few fast lads came past so jumped on their wheels for a lap. Should be good fun either way!

weeksy

well that was just massive fun. I was gridded a fair way back as I’ve not raced with them so its just a free for all. I went a reasonable pace off the start but not crazy and was soon in an 8 way battle, down the side of the field I put 2 riders behind me and knew there was a lot of woods coming up.
    Very little in the way of overtaking through them, then into another field edge, I lost a place but that guy cleared off and took 5 of us in seconds.
    The race kind of blurred into woods, sprints, power and a cool log jump I kept launching on the Whyte just for fun. I picked up another 5 riders over the next hour and a bit, having fun battles throughout and some chatting in the single track while trying to breathe!
    A big tall fella passed me on lap 4 in the fields and I jumped on his wheel, he was quick in the long bits so we caught another guy and put him behind us.
    I came round the start finish absolutely finished and saw the clock had 8 mins showing which meant another lap! Oh for the love of all things holy, I was knackered. Happily, anyone else behind me was the same. I lost about 10s to the guy in front I was following but was happy the gap behind wouldn’t be closed down. So I clawed my way to the line, almost crashing twice on the final lap as I was dying! I have no idea what my result was.
    I do know this, it was the best and most fun xc course I’ve ridden, just constant twists, turns, etc brilliant.

My boy was then out in the U9s race. He got a bad start as he was gridded near last and struggled at times to make up ground. Partly because he seemed to be in the wrong gear. I suspected he’d dropped into the granny as he was spinning like a loony! I was right.
    He did however pick up some places and 2 in the last sprint for the line, for what I think was 7th! Respect for that!

Awesome day out.

Now, pub for massive burgers and beer while watching Liverpool game.

ernie

Nice one weeksy and weeksy jnr. I’m sat in the car waiting for the start of my race and nursing a bad back. Bit dryer than round 1 isn’t it?

weeksy

I didn’t make round 1 mate as my lad ended up at a Philharmonic concert instead and Mrs Weeksy and MIL Weeksy like him to do that, so we skipped round 1. This round was ideal as its only 15 min from home.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 781 total)

The topic ‘2017 XC Racing Thread’ is closed to new replies.