• This topic has 780 replies, 86 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by ac282.
Viewing 21 posts - 761 through 781 (of 781 total)
  • 2017 XC Racing Thread
  • iain65
    Free Member

Ferrals, I only took on that drop once they’d lowered it, no chance of me going over it in the higher position for the reasons well stated by mick.

Getting a better write up would be good, I have a friend on the BC XC commission and will ask her if they could cover at least some of the other races.

ferrals
    Free Member

What I found weird about that drop at the welsh was at the lower position you could ride over without even thinking, but even though the height raise was only a foot or so, in the higher position there was no way in hell i was going near it 😆
    think its the chnage in angle of te take off rather than the actual increase in drop

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Crikey the overall national standings are close! I was 5th a few weeks back. Now i’ve sunk into 12th! Top 15 get shifted into Expert next year. I know there’s a few races left before final standings are more or less stable too.

Couple of rounds of the Mud, Sweat and Gears and 3 rounds of the Scottish Series I think are left. Whilst I didn’t set out to fight specificaly to get into Expert next year it was a nice thought and did look likely at one point! Now i’m not so sure!

Kind of kicking myself for bailing on the last National round. My bike is stripped with no wheels at present either eek! I had no itention of doing any more racing this year. I’d rather not chase easier races for easy points knowing that I won’t be racing those easier races next year.

Sport or Expert next year makes no odds to me. I’ve almost got my training plan sorted which I hope will make me a faster me.

ferrals
    Free Member

Only worth doing more if you have some in your top 8 that you think are easy to improve on though surely? If you have 8 good ones just wait and see!

Amusingly at the moment I’m the same ranking this year having done only 6 as i was last year having done over 8 races.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

The worst of my top 8 results is a 9th. All races left are only standard regional points so I’d need to finish pretty damn strong to make it worthwhile!

mrmo
    Free Member

Just to whinge and let off some steam. Got to Verbier, feeling reasonably confident, or at least as confident as you can when faced with a gentle 120km jaunt through the Swiss Alps, wake up this morning with a f************ cold. So got a week to get this cold out of the system and acclimatise as best i can.

Oh well. such is life i guess.

Bream
    Free Member

Indeed mrmo, hope it clears in time.

My seasons continues from high to low, it seems either I do well or a DNF! Was leading the last race only to get another odd punture and unable to repair it to continue 🙄

Never had punctures whilst racing for many many years, and now 2 only this year is odd for me. Currently come down with a cold so training on hold, next race is on the 27th August so have a week now to shift it, hopefully!

steve_b77
    Free Member

I finished off my XC season for the year by taking on Torq 12:12 12hr solo last weekend down at Minley Manor.

The course was excellent, not a climby as Mayhem but IMHO a damn site harder due to the amount of single track and all the roots.

I did a practice lap in the morning with my team mate and tried to make a judgement of race pace etc and a vague guess at how many laps would see me into a decent position.

It started pretty well, with good consistent lap times and about 5 laps in I started to struggle as for some reason my feet started killing me, a change of shoes on the 2nd lap of pain and some paracetamol and things came back; unfortunately I’d lost over 15 minutes on those 2 laps and dropped a place. After the shoe change, the lap times came down straight away, back to what I was lapping at previously and I kept that going to the end.

I came in 5th overall in Vets and 17th overall in 12hr solo which considering the distinct lack of endurance type riding I’ve done since Mayhem I was pretty happy with.

The photos are courtesy of a chap called Marcus on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XGGfsY]36862274365_d2ae888df5_o[/url] by Steve Bowman, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XGGfXf]36035822693_3beff59a13_o[/url] by Steve Bowman, on Flickr

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Well CX is more or less here. I’ve signed up to TrainingPeaks and have a winter training plan to get started on from the end of this month. Following my last race I took 2-3 weeks almost entirely off with just a couple of rides.

My mojo has come back big time and i’ve put 15+ hours in during the last week alone! I feel refreshed and ready to go again. In hindsight I should have taken a similar break and toned it down mid season as I’m sure it would have put me in a strong position for the last few races and more importantly the last National round that I missed.

So next Saturday and Sunday I’ll be tip toeing around some of the CX courses as part of the North West CCA legaue. I cant dismount and re-mount for toffee. This is going to be interesting!

Bream
    Free Member

I rode the 2nd last round of the X-cup last Sunday, luckily I avoided any mechanical problems this time and took the win 8)

The biggest challenge was the mud, goodness, never raced in anything like that before. I had to run up most steep ups (CX training has started 😆 )and tri-sledge the downs, madness, some of the less abled were sliding down the hills on their backside 😮

Final round is on the 16th Sept.

Kryton57

Well, thats my season done. A Fraught weekend after discovering a blown seal on my forks yesterday afternoon. Changed forks adding 120’s so the geo was wrong but i wanted the lighter bike as its a climbers course (Langdon hills).

Felt a bit “meh” this morning after wondering all week if i would inherit the kids colds and im bordering an a top 20 eastern region league placing.

So, the start arrived, whistle and BANG – my chain snapped. FFS. I had half a mind to jack it in but knowing this would effect my league placing i sat on the grass (after being held for the GV’s to start) remive the bent links and added the split link i luckily carry in my race “bundle” So i started with 7 mins deficit, eventually made up six places to 23rd on a gruelling course. Lap times revealed i was faster than 7 riders in front of me but i couldnt catch them.

Ah well, ill wait for the season league results to be published and see where im at but this is a huge Improvement after finishing 31st year 1′, 26th year 2 and hopefully, 18, 19 or 20 this year.

Onwards to winter training!

RoterStern
    Free Member

One more race of the mtb season for me. After a road race last weekend I took part in the local mtb marathon today. As this part of Germany is devoid of any mountains I decided to give the Crux a run before the cross season starts as the course is distinctly gravel bikeish. I was riding on tubs so had to pump them up rock hard to try and mitigate a puncture which would have ended my day and made a long 15km walk home. Managed to podium in third place and all three of us were in the masters 2 age cat (40-50). We beat all the young guns! So next week it’s off to some real mountains in Arnstadt (home of Marcel Kittel) and then a couple of weeks to prepare for the cross season which begins in the second week in Oct.

stylish
    Free Member

Kryton57, that was me on the whistle today at Langdon, I quite liked the cheer you got when you did get rolling, kudos for getting your head down and catching riders on a tough lap

Kryton57

*waves*

Thanks for helping out with the event. Yeah, i was thankful for the recognition. Never has fixing a chain (in 7 minutes) felt so long.

I just didnt want to finish last. Pride etc.

stylish
    Free Member

At least you had the best of the conditions, this morning would have been nasty for staging a fight back. Not been too Langdon for a couple of years and enjoyed the day, great too she a lot of new and old faces racing at MSG.

A couple of people broke chains so you weren’t alone. All the best for the winter races.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I quite fancy entering some races next year, but not sure that these short sprint efforts are my bag.

Are there any ‘marathon’ races in scotland worth looking into? I’m thinking around the 40 – 50 mile mark?

Bream
    Free Member

Bad luck that Kryton but kudos for fixing it and finishing.

And that’s my MTB season finished with the last round of the X-cup last Saturday at Orup, Höör. Heavy rain in the morning again turned the course into a bog in the muddy sections, combined with the lots of roots and rocks it made for a tough race, very technical and slippy.

After a good start I managed to break away at the lead after the first lap but was then reeled in by Andreas and couldn’t break away again. Well, not until the last quarter till the finish when I used a back marker passing opportunity to jump and managed to hold a 4 sec gap till the finish line.

So very happy with the win again in Start 2, question for next year is whether this old man should go up to Start 1 to compete with the best racers in Southern Sweden. Looking at the overall results I placed 31st last Saturday, so I think maybe with my new winter plan this year I could be placing top 20 next year, all things going well. Maybe it’s best to race Start 1 and have tough competition to push me harder, but is nice to be winning in Start 2 😆

Now to the CX season, quite short in Southern Sweden but I’m on the TrainerRoad CX plan and will race as much as possible 8)

padkinson
    Free Member

my chain snapped

SNAP! Me too! Properly gutted, I was pretty happy at the front of the elites, about 2/3rds into the first lap. I almost always carry a chain tool, but as it was the last race I figured ‘all or nothing’ and left it in the kit bag 🙁 Ran/scooted the rest of the lap, then borrowed a tool at the pits. Promptly blew myself up going off too hard afterwards, then seriously lacked motivation to push for the rest.

Weirdly I really enjoyed the riding though, and got back up to 5th elite/expert so not a complete waste of a day.

Kudos to Kryton for getting on with it, must be even worse having it snap on the start line.

windyg
    Free Member

Well done Kryton and Paddy for not giving up, at least us morning riders packed down the course for you guys. I went off in 2nd hit the first hill and really wished I had changed my chainring from a 34 to 32 i was going nowhere, I just rode to finish in the end and stay upright in the mud, came 16th. Had a proper dodgy tripod moment all the way down the A line 2nd lap and kneed to stem so today my knee is killing me.

Kryton57

wished I had changed my chainring from a 34

I rode 34 oval. My legs are reminding me of that this morning, although it seemed to help with grip on the hill as I was using the same Ralph I’ve been using since March..

Promptly blew myself up going off too hard afterwards

. I did the same! Flew off the line once I was back in the game, up the hill and had to remind myself to calm down… And likewise well done for the finish.

ac282

It was a tough course. I went too hard early on and had to slow down. Then dropped my chain before getting it together again with 4 laps to go.

It was my first XC race since may so it was a shock to the system.

Viewing 21 posts - 761 through 781 (of 781 total)

The topic ‘2017 XC Racing Thread’ is closed to new replies.