• This topic has 780 replies, 86 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by ac282.
Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 781 total)
  • 2017 XC Racing Thread
  • r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Size definitely matters. According to my mumsnet associates!

You’d be faster on a short travel 29er. It’s all relative though. If I rode a long travel trail bike at XC races i’d still be having a good race, just further down the field.

XC courses are definitely more technical and steep than they were 4 years ago. I’m often lugging a dropper post around with me!

iain65
    Free Member

Just thought I’d post the race report from last week’s FNSS round, it’s a bit wordy as it’s for our team facebook page! Online here with pics https://www.facebook.com/CotswoldCyclesRT/posts/1790992587878539?notif_t=like&notif_id=1498157755326383

Words here:

Last Friday saw the hottest evening of the year we had seen so far for the latest round of the Friday Night Sumer Series (FNSS). This is one of the longest running MTB race series in the UK and is based upon a fairly relaxed format of mountain bike racing on a short circuit, usually about 10 minutes a lap for a time of 45 minutes plus a lap. This creates some very exciting racing with, at times, up to 150 riders all racing on a 1.5 mile track with very different abilities ranging from top 10 nationally ranked Elite riders to young kids and recreational riders.
    My son Fraser, Stuart Tyrrell and myself have been regular riders in this series and try to fit as many in as possible depending upon other schedules. Last week’s race venue was the National Bowl in Milton Keynes and involved features ranging from tight off camber woods sections to flat out blasts and leg breaking climbs! We try and aim to get to the venue at 6pm, pay our entry fee then slowly warm up to allow all the stresses of the working week to flow the other way!
    As soon as we hit the track we knew grip was at a premium; the surface was very dusty and we were all suffering from the dreaded ‘front-wheel-wash-out’ syndrome. I had opted to ride the Trek Procalibre 9.9 hardtail as I felt it would be a benefit on the punchy climbs over a full suspension bike.
    On the back of the circuit they had a small drop off that could be easily rolled by taking a specific line. I quite fancied a bit of air time though and hit the middle of it fast. Now 20mph may not be fast by roadie standards but on a short circuit MTB course it’s as quick as it gets! I took off and as I did so the rear of the bike kicked up and the front dropped. “Oh dear” I thought (or words to that effect), “I’m about to go over the bars on a section that should be easy!” I managed to just about land it, the front wheel hitting the soft gravel and sliding to the right, I corrected this and instead exited stage left off the side of the bike landing hard on my back with my head hitting the ground for good measure. “Great”, I thought, “I’ve come all the way here to take myself out of the race on a ‘nothing’ feature!” Thankfully, Stuart did a great job of not running me over – I’ve no idea how he missed me, but it was close!
    I got my legs turning again and the pain in my left glut (bottom!) was quite severe – I couldn’t ride up the hill easily so circled around the flat trying to get some movement back in my leg. Whilst doing so, I realised that some of the regulars in my category had headed off to the World Championships in Andorra so it might be possible for me to get a good points haul. I had nothing to lose after already crashing so headed for the start to see what happened.
    We had a decent field in Grand Vet with about 35 riders. I usually make a reasonable start so made sure I was up there at the front and went into the first singletrack section in second place. While still sore, it was not unbearable – “great” I thought, “let’s carry on”!
    Going into the second lap, Tim Stowe came past me and went into the lead, knowing he was very proficient in getting through tight sections I quickly moved in behind him to make sure he didn’t build up a lead. I followed him for a couple of sections and then saw an opportunity to pass him, the plan being to make sure I kept him behind me on the tight sections where he would be strong!
    I’m not sure what happened to Tim after I got past but he dropped out the race and suddenly I had a reasonable lead – head down time and hope no one catches me now!
    The races are usually about 50 to 55 minutes in length so they are truly a flat-out blast, however at about 50 minutes I got the two laps to go board which would take the race distance to a full XC length, not what I had in mind! I could also see the second placed rider getting closer, ‘oh no’ I didn’t want to lose my first opportunity of a mountain bike race win by getting caught on the last lap, so guess what? Head down again for the finish! I managed to clear the line in first place with about 20 seconds to spare – I was quite pleased with that.
    Fraser was already at the finish, having come fourth in the competitive Youth class. He was sporting a good amount of gravel rash from a crash mid race but had managed to get up and maintain his position.
    Stuart had his best finish of the series so far coming in at 14th despite feeling a bit off-colour that evening and, more importantly, managing to finish ahead of riders that have been beating him in the previous rounds.
    So, a good evening all round – a bit more skin lost and a few bruises gained but very happy with our results!

iain65
    Free Member

jimbob – I’m also doing the two days for the Midlands this weekend, you’ll be fine doing two consecutive days racing if I can! I had the same problem on the 6 days of andalucia bike race earlier in the year – 4 hour stages each day and legs that would not work for the first hour of the stage, then they free up and it’s okay. Just make sure you warm down after the race, foam roller and get a long steady warm up next day and you will surprise yourself by what you can achieve, especially with the form you have just now going on your recent results. See you in Sheffield.
    Iain.

weeksy

Great write up and fantastic riding!

iain65
    Free Member

Thanks weeksy, apart from the falling off bit 🙂

oldracer
    Free Member

Cheers rj, I was under the impression that 29ers were the way to go.

N + 1 beckons I feel..

oldracer
    Free Member

I’m going to look at a 27.5 ht – I want to keep the agility of a smaller bike but still have some of the advantages of a larger wheel.

The marketing BS has worked!

😆

ferrals
    Free Member

I race on a 27.5in HT (in fact its my only mtb so i ride everythign on it) and it doesnt hold back my performance one iota… my fitness and skill however certainly do 😆

I ride a Scott scale FWIW and think its absolutely brilliant.

epicsteve
    Free Member

See you tomorrow maybe epicsteve, I’ll be racing Theres only this week and next week left.

I didn’t make it on Wednesday however as they’d left the tapes up I had a ride round the Beastway course when I was at the centre last night. Nearly got dizzy going through the trees in the far corner! And do they go out of their way to make the main climb as unpleasant as possibe! Almost had me missing my granny ring since going 1×10!

iain65
    Free Member

ferrals – just wondering if you saw anything about what happened to Nigel Brown in the race at Builth Wells where he crashed on the ‘feature’ (or if anyone else did?). Maybe you could drop me a quick email to iainwight@aol.com as his family are trying to understand what happened and what was changed on the course between sessions.

Nigel is still in hospital awaiting an operation which had to be postponed as his condition was more serious than expected unfortunately.
    Thanks, Iain.

Bream
    Free Member

Well done Iain, nice write up, I’ve also having a similar season and collecting an interesting array of cuts and bruises, guess at least it shows we’re fully committed and trying 😀

Bream
    Free Member

oldracer, I think it all depends on your own preferences, age, size, riding style, budget, type of races/courses, etc…

Seen plenty a fast rider still on 26” HTs but for sure the majority of the field is split 29” HT & FS. Ideal would be for you to test a 29” bike and see how it felt, from everyone I know who’s made the change they’ve been happy and regretted it.

Bream
    Free Member

Well, I had an interesting day yesterday at the latest round out the Mitsubishi MTB marathon cup here in Sweden.

Started well, managed to keep the heart rate down compared to last year which I paid for later, was feeling good and placed 38 at half way in class H40 with 96 starters. Then my luck of many years ran out, never had a mechanical failure that stopped my race, but I managed to ride over the mother of all old nails in the middle of a forest 😯 It killed my tire, spent 15 mins trying to fix it but I’d lost all my sealant and didn’t have a spare tube with me. So gave up and walked 4k back to the car, swearing most of the way, pretty gutted really but that’s life eh.

Lesson learnt and I will carry a spare tube from now on in case of another massive nail or similar incident 🙄

weeksy

Wow.. that really is a big nail !

adsh
    Free Member

ferrals – just wondering if you saw anything about what happened to Nigel Brown in the race at Builth Wells where he crashed on the ‘feature’ (or if anyone else did?). Maybe you could drop me a quick email to iainwight@aol.com as his family are trying to understand what happened and what was changed on the course between sessions.

Nigel is still in hospital awaiting an operation which had to be postponed as his condition was more serious than expected unfortunately.

Nigel Brown from Westbury Wheelers – as in the fastest GV by some distance? Very sorry to hear that – any idea how he’s doing?

In other not very interesting ‘news’ I’m still ill. 4.5 weeks. Blood test results awaited 😥

iain65
    Free Member

Hi adsh, Nigel is doing better now, surgery went well and he was able to attend his daughters wedding at the weekend which was really good (with the help of crutches and a brace). Fingers crossed for a full and fast recovery.

Kryton57

So whose read the Scott Marathon Exmoor notes then? Hill no2 appears an 18km climb. Nice.

Actually quite looking forward to it.

schmiken

weeksy

Hill no2 appears an 18km climb. Nice.

Oooof, that’s not a climb, that’s an afternoon out ! Good luck with that one

jam-bo

Porlock to dunkery beacon? That’ll take you from sea level to 519m

wheely
    Free Member

I haven’t seen any notes on the route. Where did you find those?

Did hear we have an A-road climb that’s “the steepest in the UK”!!!!

Looking forward to the event (apart from that bit)

steve_b77
    Free Member

Having a crack at the MMWM event at Beacon Park tomorrow, first short XC race of the year on normal bike; did Cannock Winter Classic in fat bike class earlier in the year so it should be interesting to say the least, considering at the moment I’ve got all the acceleration of a nissan leaf 😀

Kryton57

Well i find my self in the long wait for A&E

In managed 10k of feeling really good in the Exmoor Scott Marathon, only to have – so im told – a bit of a tool attempt a bunny hop whip behind me on the first rocky descent at about 30kph. He landed on me.

Luckly adrenaline got me back to nearby marshall point covered in claret while i waited for a medic. Shorts in the bin, shirt passable but severe amd bloody grazing on knee, leg, hip, shoulder and back. Im waiting here for what it think will br stitches and/or grafting on a lacerated and very swollen elbow.

Much thanks to Mitch the medic.

I am going to be very sore in the morning.

Oh the bike is fine – yay!

According ti my race team colleagues the rest of the course was fab!

wheely
    Free Member

Sorry to hear you got taken out at Exmoor today. What a course though – never knew a circuit could have so many mega steep climbs – including the 25% Porlock Hill.
    I enjoyed the ride but so knackered now – & had hamstring cramps 1 mile from the finish. Happy with my 3hr 59mins for full marathon

rsvktm

Not good kryton, hope not too badly damaged. Good course but the road start was badly ridden again by some, my wife helped a young girl that had been taken out less than half a mile from the start… I was more than happy with a 3:50 for the full considering a dislocated shoulder less than 3 weeks ago, the long rocky descent was interesting. Bit frustrating as would have enjoyed the descents normally and was a good course. 3 hrs for the fast guys :-0

Kryton57

Well done chaps. Yes i heard a load of riders go down behind on the road, i tried to stay in the front 25%.

Got home about 1am. Elbow is glued together, lost of stingy momemts as the cleaned bits of Exmoor out of the flap. Ive a course of antibitoics and some codiene, but ive a massive swollen elbow and knee minus any skin.

Very sore today, but hoping to do something on the turbo starting tomorrow in prep for nexts Sundays race!

I’m going to say it and i know experience counts for a lot, but even on the climb you have riders shoving there way past without a word. Those that arent on the race circuit need to learn some ability to let a rider know your coming from behind with the customary “on the left/right” – riders cant always see and here so let them know youre coming!

xc-steve
    Free Member

Likewise people need to learn that when someone says ‘can I pass’ riding from the edge to moving into the middle of the path isn’t helpful.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Quick question, MTB Marathon series, are they races or sportives?

Kryton57

Depends on which end you are starting at.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Just looked on there website, that explains why its mostly on bridleway

“Is the ride timed?
    Although the ride is not a race, rider times will be posted on the website shortly after the event”

dcl

rsvktm I think it was my daughter your wife helped so a massive thanks to her for helping. I was riding towards the back half and came across the crash and apparently it was pretty hairy on the road. She got taken out by someone trying to push up and round to the front. She was pretty lucky as she landed on her head and smashed her helmet but is having an op on her broken wrist today. Three months off her bike isn’t good and not being able to work after her A levels is going to cost me. Medics and staff were brilliant as!were the riders and spectators that helped!

ferrals
    Free Member

Depends on which end you are starting at.

No, its a sportive whereever you start.

However, classification is somewhat arbitrary, sportive or racing, common courtesy should dictate safe riding wherever you are.

I hope you heal up quick Kryton, likewise your daughter DCL.

scottfitz
    Free Member

BTW I been to Pippingford park helping Adam from Southern XC out a bit. What a great venue, if you’re not signed up for their race this weekend get on it 🙂

weeksy

🙁 can’t make it this weekend. Which is bad for my boy. But it’s too far away for him to get back in time for his Orchestra stuff.

rsvktm

Dcl, sorry to hear about your daughters wrist but glad wasn’t worse. Jane passes on her best.

Yak

I raced Pippingford last year, and whilst it was really muddy, I could see that it was a fantastic venue. Very natural feeling rooty course. Opposite of somewhere like Wasing. In the dry, Pippingford will be great.

Don’t reckon i’ll be racing though – 🙁 – still on antibiotics for lymes and feel rough. Gutted, as I was looking forward to this round more than any other.

Heal up well kryton and dcl’s daughter.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Sad to hear about people behaving like arses and hurting others, particularly in non-competitive events. People are supposed to go for a weekend away to enjoy themselves, not end up in A&E.

fieldy3638
    Free Member

Pippingford is going to be my first proper XC race in a good few years so glad to hear its a nice natural course, I struggle with big man made features!

scottfitz
    Free Member

big man made features!

When you say big man made features do to mean fireroads or jumps and berm. There are both in the course, all very rollable.

Yak

That sounds good. It’s the big drop with the woodwork at Wasing that gives me the willies. I didn’t race Wasing this year, but the past 2years I’ve said to myself, ‘right get on with it and do the drop’. B-line instead every time.. 🙂

This one:
    https://www.facebook.com/SouthernXC/videos/760821477369521/
    Obviously Phil Pearce makes it look easy!

Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 781 total)

The topic ‘2017 XC Racing Thread’ is closed to new replies.