• This topic has 780 replies, 86 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by ac282.
Viewing 40 posts - 601 through 640 (of 781 total)
  • 2017 XC Racing Thread
  • crosshair
    Free Member

Extreme radcore to the max 😀

weeksy

weeksy, if there’s a few of us there, I’m sure we could cover kids practise in a big group whilst you race. My 2 would be happy to pre-ride and work things out in a group. Let me know beforehand and we’ll plan something.

Hey mate, that’s massively appreciated.

I’ll see, but thanks tonnes.

Mrs.Butcher
    Free Member

Conversely, for a smaller, local event I thought the organisation today was excellent. I rode a sighting lap half an hour before the race and had no problems finding the course. I got the impression they need to leave pathways open to other users of the park, so can’t go too crazy on the taping.

Given the complete lack of elevation (my Garmin made it 39m over 32.4km!) I found the course fun, but then again I did grow up ragging around Thetford, which isn’t much different.

crosshair
    Free Member

I did get paranoid about it being just me MrsButcher but when there were five of us stood in a clearing without the foggiest idea where to go, I knew it wasn’t a mistake. It was better on my sighting lap immediately before the race- they had restored the tape and put out loads of new logs but the two guys coming flat out head on towards us on lap 1 was crazy!

Looking on the Strava Flyby, a few guys went way of course on lap one too and had to backtrack to rejoin.

As I say, the Crits they put on at Hillingdon ran very smoothly but for the huge amount of team members they had present, I think they could have been a bit more proactive with the morning checks.

Kudos to them for prompt results though- always a big thumbs up for that 🙂

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Anyone entered Dalby this coming weekend? Round 4 of the Nationals. Looking forward to it. Raced there earlier this year as part of the nutcracker series and bagged my best ever sport cat finish of 2nd. Course seems to suit me quite well.

iain65
    Free Member

Yup, I’m in – went up on Friday to refresh my memory of it, rumour has it that Medusa is in but Worry Gill out.
    See you there I hope.

schmiken

It’s the only National I’m doing this year – will be racing Expert.

everyone
    Free Member

I’m in, testing the new bike on a proper course!

Hoping it doesn’t rain…

ferrals
    Free Member

what bike did you get in the end?

Bream
    Free Member

Bit of a late update from last weekends race due to a long weekend celebrating Sweden’s national day yesterday.

It was the 3rd round of the X-cup at Vallåsen last Saturday, a course based at the DH venue which was pretty much half a lap up (150m evlivation) and half a lap down. For the hours race time I managed 4 laps.

Due to the high amount of climbing I didn’t expect to do so well but it went better than planned and I actually won! Important to point out this was start 2 race, start 1 being the fastest for Elite riders etc. So I won start 2 for men with 108 racers, and placed 41st overall from 304 racers.

Even my son enjoyed himself:

So to be honest I felt rather proud of myself given this was my best result for some time and the hard training had made a difference. Then I took a look at my heart rate during the race and it’s scared me a bit, I turn 45 next week, is this kind of heart profile normal for a short course racer? Is this similar to any other racers on here?

everyone
    Free Member

what bike did you get in the end?

Orbea Oiz!

Full suss 29er, it’s more than a little bit different to my Ritchey…

ferrals
    Free Member

Nice! will make that bloody rocky gulley a bit more enjoyable! hated that bit of Dalby. Enjoy the climb 😉

adsh
    Free Member

Then I took a look at my heart rate during the race and it’s scared me a bit, I turn 45 next week, is this kind of heart profile normal for a short course racer? Is this similar to any other racers on here?

It’s a bit toward the rapid end but I doubt it’s an issue if you’re in good health and have a structured training programme.

I’m 53 and would generally be about 172bpm average and 185bpm max in a 90minute race. My max hr is about 192bpm.

crosshair
    Free Member

Well done Bream! What a great result.

ferrals
    Free Member

I’m 53 and would generally be about 172bpm average and 185bpm max in a 90minute race. My max hr is about 192bpm.

I’m 36 and about the same, goes to show those simply age based formulas are pretty naff. Never actually tested max HR but the max I’ve seen in a race is 189

everyone
    Free Member

Nice! will make that bloody rocky gulley a bit more enjoyable! hated that bit of Dalby. Enjoy the climb

The gearing’s lower (praise be to 11 speed!), the weights about the same and it’s got lockouts! Hopefully it should be about the same speed if not a little bit quicker, especially since climbing is my strong point.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Snorkel packed for Dalby tomorrow.

mick_r

We’ll be at Dalby, but luckily Alison and the kids are all racing in (hopefully) better weather on Sunday. I’m just on pit bitch duty. (and a swift lap of the other forest trails inbetween youth and ladies races).

Only just finished cleaning the mud from 4 sets of bikes, clothes, shoes and helmets after last night’s midweek madness race.

Don’t worry about the hr Bream – I remember Alison getting a very early downloadable hr monitor back in elite days 20 odd yrs ago (software came on a floppy disc!) We were similarly concerned race hr vs training zone hr. She still seems to be alive and still pulling similar numbers in a race.

iain65
    Free Member

What happened to you today jimbob? I saw you make a great start – 2nd into the singletrack was nice nice and then heard the commentator (while I was bike cleaning!) say that you must have had a problem as you were running lower than normal. Hope you’re okay?
    Blooming wet at Dalby today, hoping it will dry out a bit for tomorrow.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Urgh what a day at Dalby! Worst conditions I think I’ve ever ridden in, let alone raced in!

Had a spill on 3rd lap and went into survival mode after that! Wasn’t feeling 100%. Think pre race nutrition was all wrong today. Good job I was parked near the portaloos!

Brake pads were eaten by lap 2. Think I finished 8th. Some pics taken by wifey…

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’m back home now. Washed half the forest out of my ass crack. Hope it’s a tad less aquarium like for those of you racing tomorrow. Good luck!

iain65
    Free Member

Oh dear, I’m really hoping it will dry up tonight! Well done for getting round.

weeksy

Great pics and riding!

Bream
    Free Member

Crikey, those conditions look challenging to say the least 😯 At least you got round and finished well placed.

ferrals
    Free Member

Good effort and unlucky with the spill.

Not sure why you are complaining about the conditions though – we can still see some colour on your face 😆

Hate it when it gets too muddy to waer glasses, my eyes end up stinging for days

stylish
    Free Member

r8jimbob88 I recognise that kit, I was the Commisaire doing grinding over the weekend, although it was slightly cleaner when the race was started. The rain on Saturday was awful, I can only compare it to Sherwood 2 years ago for similar levels of grimness….
    Sadly, the rain wasn’t the only water I saw that weekend, a broken cold water valve in the b&b meant I had a flood at 4:30am on Sunday, making it a long old day with the best part of 300 miles too drive home…

Fair play too James and the Nutcracker Team, they put in another great event.

padkinson
    Free Member

I had a pretty grim time at Dalby too.

Was feeling good, 16th elite coming into the last lap, when my chain snapped in two places at the bottom of the big climb. I threw the chain in the hedge in frustration and ran the 2 odd km back to the arena. Ended up 26th, not far from last 😥

Got a push around the arena to the finish though, I owe David Creber a drink!

mick_r

Really appreciate how much work the Dalby organisers and Commisaires etc put in – thanks folks!

Kids did OK (still finding their feet at Nationals level). Alison had another storming vets race with Maddie and really enjoying this year.

Glad we didn’t have to ride on Saturday (just camped in the damp), but I’ve seen a race in far worse conditions at Dalby. Early season NPS in 1995 when it dumped hail & sleet during the Elite / Expert race. Conditions were OK at the start so nobody was really dressed for the change in the weather…. I think this was Alison’s second ever Elite race BITD:-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlM268D614o&t=387s

I’m trying to work where the old course went. Pretty sure the finish straight is running along the edge of the field where the main camping was. Think the bit just before the finish was along the embankment between the car park and road.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m off to Mountain Mayhem this weekend for 24 hours of solo based self abuse, weather looks ace so hopefully it stays that way.

ferrals
    Free Member

chain snapped in two places at the bottom of the big climb….ran the 2 odd km back to the arena.

Is that the climb off the bottom of medusa’s drop? Hell of a way to run in disco slippers, fair play!

Welsh champs at Builth showground for me this w/e. Somewhat ambivalent about this one, its a great course for tight racing on and I’ve had good battles every time I’ve raced there.. but I can’t help wishing it was at the more picturesque venue of Fforest fields. I’m also apprehensive about one of the a-lines (pic off facebook below) as its just the sort of thing that I’m good at hurting myself on.

Bizarrely, if the start lists from the article on British Cycling is too be believed, only 4 of us are contesting the Masters cat. I’m hoping that’s a mistake because at the moment we’re all in sports cat so definitely not the fastest masters in Wales!! Although if it is the case and I end up on the podium I won’t complain 😆

fifeandy
    Free Member

^^ That’s the sort of feature that you don’t really give much thought to on a slack FS with a nice big front tyre, but somehow morphs into something to be afraid of when approaching it on an XC HT.

ferrals
    Free Member

yeah, plus while the drop looks like it is only a couple of foot, its the sort of thing you find yourself 6ft up in the air if you hit it at more than walking pace!

iain65
    Free Member

Disaster for me at Dalby at the weekend! Moved back to being gridded 17th as I’d missed the previous round which was okay(ish!). Saturday was minging weather as mentioned before and me and my lad did only one lap to see where the grip was or was not and then spent the rest of the day bike cleaning, not sure why!

We had travelled up the week before to ride the A lines a few times as I hate doing this on the Saturday practice, thankfully Medusa was not in as it would have been trecherous in the wet – for me anyway,

My son raced well in Youth, moving from 33rd grid to 25th so he was pretty happy – some of these kids are bloody fast!

My race started well, getting into the singletrack section somewhere in the top ten, then got to the first climb, 3 minutes into the race and snap goes my chain! This then meant me doing a Freddy Flinstone type pedalling effort and walk back to the tech zone where we got it sorted about 15 minutes later.

At least when Paul Oldham lapped me up a little later with his thru-axle falling out I was able to stop and chat and offer him mine, sadly he did not take it so I had to carry on!

I ambled round for 4 laps and ended up 25th having caught a few people but not the best race effort!

I thought the weekend was run really well though and the commissaires helpful in times of my trouble.

We stayed on to watch my team mate race in the women’s elite and also cheer on her partner who finished a strong second in the men’s after a good battle with Grant Ferguson – a really good race to watch.

All in all it was a good weekend despite my mechanical woes.

Padkinson, nice to hear Dave was able to help you, he bought last years bike off me, nice guy.

adsh
    Free Member

Kudos for finishing.

I more or less take the view that a mechanical on XC is endex. Then again I don’t travel for them nor do I tend to do a series.

iain65
    Free Member

Thanks, having missed the last round I reckoned I needed to at least finish and get some points, my sense of humour was compromised a few times though!

adsh
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to getting back on the bike after 2weeks illness. First day I’ve felt OK. At least I managed to stick to project eat well June. No booze, no snacks, small portions etc. Down to 72kg with another 2kg to go. 6 foot and 11 stone….

iain65
    Free Member

ADSH – that’s a good weight for 6′, I’m 6’1 and on 76 kg – don’t think there is much more to come off me!

Finally managed to win my first race on Friday in the FNSS series, pleased with that after two years of trying!

Kryton57

First race tomorrow after a month off, although ive a week and a half of riding in me. Ive picked a warm one 😯

Ive put on weight, just under six foot and 11st 13. I was 11.11 risen from 11st 8 race weight until instarted myfp again a week ago so i think my body is short term compensating!

Viewing 40 posts - 601 through 640 (of 781 total)

The topic ‘2017 XC Racing Thread’ is closed to new replies.