• This topic has 780 replies, 86 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by ac282.
Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 781 total)
  • 2017 XC Racing Thread
  • winterfold
    Free Member

I must admit I’ve been looking at the winning times in Fun and Open and thinking it would be easier than getting a kicking in Grand Vet, but it could also be sandbagging, and I would rather eat my own pubes than be called a sandbagger.

After a few races I’ve worked out I need a few long fire road climbs so I can put some time into the riders who are a bit less fit, but have more skillz, so they dont catch me on the twisty bits. Where can you find these -are they what is called ‘Marathon XC’?

I’ve seen the Scott one in Oxford in late May but that looks like a sportive for mountain bikes, are there any that are proper races?

Kryton57

that looks like a sportive for mountain bikes,

Are you deliberately being obnoxious? They are races, with quite a high standard of entries at the front. Maybe you should turn up and have a crack at a few of the people you’ve reduced to Sportive riders, then when youve caught up to the top third we’ll see if you’re any good.

winterfold
    Free Member

No I’m not – are you being unnecessarily sensitive? 😛

I can’t tell if they are timed and a race, like a time trial, or timed and not a race, like a sportive. The website blurb seems to suggest the latter, but I only looked them up because the word on here suggested they were races.

winterfold
    Free Member

ooh look, in the website FAQ

“Is the ride timed?
    Although the ride is not a race, rider times will be posted on the website shortly after the event”

perhaps you can see why people might be confused 🙄

fifeandy
    Free Member

@Kryton, without any intention of being offensive, the scott marathons are sportives for MTB not races, its even in their faq page:

Is the ride timed?
    Although the ride is not a race, rider times will be posted on the website shortly after the event

Thats not to say there’s not some seriously quick riders treating them as unofficial races, but you could say the same about a lot of road sportives too.
    edit: beaten to it

ferrals
    Free Member

To be fair Kryton, I get the impression (having never done one) that’s exactly what they are for most entrants. Plenty of roadies ‘race’ sportives! To answer the question, there is the uk marathon champs which I think is in the Isle of Man this year?

Having finally seen the sport results from yesterday I did worse than I thought 🙁 not far from last! Bit demoralised as I felt I’d been making real gains in training particularly skills wise but was my worst result so far. Still was a great fun day at least

Edit. Way to slow! It’s hard to type and hold a baby!

padkinson
    Free Member

Adam_Buckland – Member
    How did you get on Paddy!

Somewhere around 21st/22nd I think. Pretty pleased with that tbh, I’m just glad to have finished an elite national where nothing went wrong.
    I surprised myself off the start, really enjoyed getting the elbows out and moved up a fair few places. Struggled a bit up the hills during the first half of the race, but felt strong over the top flatter bits. Got into it a bit more for the second half and caught a few people, and just about held off a couple of late surgers.
    Literally everything hurt at the end – eyes, back, hands, arse, the whole lot. I ended up getting cramp and falling over in a service station car park on the way back!

Next up the Hadleigh international, hopefully I’ll be able to pick up some UCI points.

Kryton57

My apologies Winterfold, I stand corrected.

weeksy

Kryton57 – Member

But we do mostly accept that a certain percentage of riders will treat it exactly like a race and push as hard as possible… it’s one of them very grey areas where they’re not races mostly because of insurance purposes.

iain65
    Free Member

r8jimbob – I watch the Sport race on Saturday and the front group that you must have been in were looking pretty strong, especially over the big drop, well done!

ferrals, you were looking good as well, sorry I never said hello but did cheer you on!

I did the GV race yesterday and managed to finish 12th which I was pleased with, had a slight off on lap two which lost me a few places when the front wheel slid out on some gravel, got all the a lines – the drop was not much quicker but hope the photo’s will be good! It was better when you could use all your speed on the run out to take you up the next hill but not if you had to brake for people on the b line.

Great weekend all round, the highlight for my wife was that someone had the foresight to get the portaloo cleaners in on a regular basis which helped a lot!

Kryton57

Bit demoralised as I felt I’d been making real gains in training

I’m feeling the same despite having only evidence that I wasnt as good as I hoped on events I havent trained for 😀

My XCO results are up 8 placs in Rd 1, “normal” in Rd 2 feeling a lack of legs then immediately having the lurgy the day after so could have been ill. I didn’t train for Marathons but didn’t do well in Builth – then again I trained specifically for XCO, am not a climber and with all that the HT was the wrong bike. I rode a solo Marathon distance yesterday on the Anthem albeit “flat” much more comfortably.

I haven’t done well in TT’s being bottom third of the Tablesl, and recently flunked a 20min FTP test before yet again being immediately ill so not sure if affected by illness.

I’m just having and hopefully recovering from a mild chest infection so I’m hoping I don’t have an excuse for Saturdays race and can get an accurate feel for how fit I am or not. Time will tell.

xc-steve
    Free Member

padkinson I was in the same boat as you a couple years ago, (chasing not being last in Elite). Took a couple years off joined a road club and did a few road and crit races hated them and now back to the MTB. Raced local South West XC and managed to blag the win so getting some mojo back. Looking to do my first national this year at Builth so we can battle it out for last place 🙂

Was seriously contemplating that HC race are entries still live? Just for the bragging rights of saying I started in the same race as the olympic and world champion…

adsh
    Free Member

The next Scott is largely on the Ridgeway. How do the race contingent treat horses and walkers with dogs? I was on it yesterday. To be polite and safe I had to stop or slow to walking pace innumerable times.

weeksy

Ridgeway, pin it 😉 Just ignore them 🙂

padkinson
    Free Member

padkinson I was in the same boat as you a couple years ago, (chasing not being last in Elite). Took a couple years off joined a road club and did a few road and crit races hated them and now back to the MTB. Raced local South West XC and managed to blag the win so getting some mojo back. Looking to do my first national this year at Builth so we can battle it out for last place

I think you’ll find last place was somewhere around 40th. I’m not getting all pissy, but I worked bloody hard to get halfway up the field!

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

My mate raced Expert at Wasing yesterday so I was briefly in the feedzone but mostly dashing about by bike to the various spectator spots.

Whilst I’m happy to be within top 10 in the Sport cat, it’s still very much a million miles away from a reasonable Expert performance and as for Elite…. I take my hat off to you guys. Was great watching the likes of Drake, Pearson and Tom Bell smashing it down the rocky steps in a 7 rider long pain train. Conditions got dustier throughout the weekend so I was glad to be racing on the Saturday!

My mate finished 15th Expert and compared to me. He’s very fast!

Interesting to see so many full sus bikes at races these days. I’m glad I had mine!

weeksy

It’s the same when i was watching the Roadies at Thruxton recently with CH racing in Cat4…. the Cat1 guys were just insanely fast, it was a whole different style of racing too, not just the speed, but the tactics, attacks, sprinting off the front, or even needing to sprint flat out mid-lap just to hold a space…

there’s racing and there’s RACING !

Kryton57

This ^^ is a head thing for me.

You watch the Elites / Nino and they are head down & focused for the duration don’t appear exhausted, tired, disturbed by those around them. They don’t “slump” or pause.

For me lap 2 is an utter panic as I recover from the exertions of lap 1 and I drop a lot of places. Then I “manage” the rest of the laps focussing on the last lap/ leaders cut off.

I guess for me at least moving up in ability is a question of being stronger physically and mentally!

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I always go off too fast. I was leading for a short while up the first climb. Everyone sprints like mad and then seems to calm it down quite quickly. At that point I see everyone bunched together and think “an additional 10 second effort will bag me another 10 places”! I then think “I don’t belong on the front, help!

wheely
    Free Member

Entered the GV class with SouthWest XC series round 1 and managed my first ever podium with a 3rd place. Well chuffed.
    Seemed strange to race in the dry – and compared with Newnham there were no horrible rock gardens or overly technical stuff.
    All in all a great day.

jam-bo

and compared with Newnham there were no horrible rock gardens or overly technical stuff.

they’re the best bits…

xc-steve
    Free Member

Sorry padkinson I read

Somewhere around 21st/22nd I think.

as 21st out of 22 yeah out of 40 or so that’s bloody good effort!

winterfold
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member

No worries – no need to apologise but thanks anyway

So it’s socially acceptable to go to one of these and go as hard as you can, I doubt I’ll be troubling the potential ‘winners’ but I don’t want to upset anyone’s nice day out either.

If any part of the course is a public road then that would prevent the organisers putting the times in fastest-slowest order.

weeksy

Well that’s disappointing 🙁

Just had an email back from Banjo Cycles.

Sorry but we won’t be running the Rampage series this year, we may do one stand alone event so keep an eye on the web site http://www.xcrampage.co.uk for the date.

Gutted… My lad was massively looking forward to that… so we now need to devise plan B.

ferrals
    Free Member

iain65 – Member

ferrals, you were looking good as well, sorry I never said hello but did cheer you on!

Cheers for the cheer Iain! Well done on your result.

On reflection, while initially disappointed in my result I’m not that fussed, everyone has an off day and I do think I’m getting up to speed again technically. I knew it wasn’t going to be great on the first lap when i had no energy on that little power climb after the first a/b split. I think I just didnt get enough energy in pre- race and over relied on gels – hence the last lap vom swallowing.

r8jimbob88 – Member

Whilst I’m happy to be within top 10 in the Sport cat, it’s still very much a million miles away from a reasonable Expert performance and as for Elite…. I take my hat off to you guys.

Keep getting these results and you’ll be up in the experts next year!

Not enough pics on this thread! here’s one of me from Sat:

Bit gutted I’m not going to make either of the northern nationals. Done lots of races at the showground where the last race is though so will be on familiar territory for that one as its close to home.

@Weeksy, I think the ramapage is a winter series? could try cyclocross – theres a good kids scene in that

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

When your mates think they’re funny….

Seems I’m a wizard

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Loving the photo updates! Havent seen any from my last race yet.

Meant to racing tomorrow in what was supposed to be an important race for me, but suffering from a major lack of mojo right now. Three hour drive there, shite weather, family are a little under the weather, but I’m feeling a little over trained. I need to kick myself into gear over the next 12 hours.

Good luck to everyone else pinning a number on this weekend.

Kryton57

This weekend was the first race of the London Beastway series in its 25th year. I was there all day as Jnr raced earlier and came 15th. I’m still coughing / have a chest infection and felt crap on the warm up, a 7k long lap with short sharp 12% climbs and hard dry rutted trails.

Started Ok into the single track about 8th and dropped my chain. I lost about 8 places, remounted and sprinted up the grassy hill to take six back. Had two excellent battles, the first pushing a rider who eventually capitulated when after dropping my chain again and catching and pushing him twice, the second with 8th place man with a gap going back and forth until the end for me to finish 9th.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/UhNdUu]Untitled[/url]

Bearing in mind the condition of my lungs and the competition entered I’m pretty chuffed with 9th.

weeksy

Cracking pic!

njee20
    Free Member

Well done Kryton, you’re definitely quicker than me these days!

Dug my MTB out today for the Gorrick spring series, first MTB ride since October and first XC race in 2 years! I’d forgotten how to ride the bike and how to race! The venue wasn’t the one I thought it was, and I didn’t like it as much, bit annoying. Raced far better than it rode though, just too sandy and twisty for my enjoyment.

Got a sound kicking, 18th in Sport, bit shit, but meh, enjoyed myself!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Nice work guys.

I missed my Saturday marathon distance event and have the second race in the regional XC series tomorrow instead.

Feeling much more motivated after a couple of easier days so let’s hope that I can repeat my 5th place, or better, from round one.

bigdaddy

I also raced gorrick today, and agree with you njee20, on my warm up lap I thought the course was rubbish, but really enjoyed the racing, it seemed to liven up a lot. The sand was shite though… 17th in vet + for me, result not great, but I gave it everything and won my personal duels

padkinson
    Free Member

Nice pic Kryton, I’d completely forgotten about Beastway, I’ll definitely be down for the later ones.

Next Sunday, I will be racing against, among others, Manuel Fumic, Anton Cooper, Maxime Marrotte, Sergei Manticon Guitierrez and Grant Ferguson 😯

Helpfully there’s UCI points for the top 40 and there’s only 38 entered.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Round two of the regional XC series today. Held on a course that is narrow, full of roots, rocks, and short power climbs. So pretty much the anti course of me.

Front row gridding after first round was spoiled a little by me blowing my clip and losing a handful of places before the race even reached 15 meters. Battled for position the whole way and came in 10th in the vet 40 category, so about as pleased as I can be.

Anybody else race on May Day?

Me giving it full beans on the Cannondale

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Cannock next weekend for midlands Round 3. Then I’m off to Aske Moor for Round 3 of the nationals. I seem to have a nemesis this year already so I’ll be hanging on to his rear wheel waiting for the perfect moment to step on the gas…

steve_b77
    Free Member

I went to Belgium this weekend for the Roc d’Ardennes Marathon, not being a UCI licence holder I was in the non-UCI marathon on the Sunday.

The course was fantastic, fast, dry, roots, rocky in places but by God it seemed like there was no flat for 82km, it felt like you were either climbing (or in my case grinding) or descending flat out.

The aim was to beat my number board / start position of 619 and I did, rolled over the line after 82km and 2150m of Belgium style climbing in 238th position, 108th Vet and 3rd Brit which I’m well happy with. Looking at the splits I gained places at every check point too.

I thought I’d have a glance through the UCI marathon results just to see how I compare with those Marathon racing types from around the world and if I’d entered that and done exactly the same I would’ve come in 150th overall and 133rd male, which to be honest I’m rather amazed at.

Other thing’s I learnt from my first experience of racing abroad, Isostar Grapefruit sports drink is absolutely gopping; I was sick twice until i cottoned on that it was this causing my stomach to feel rubbish, emptied my bottles and just used water from that point.

The Belgiums and French (mainstay of the field) can’t half climb, but aren’t exactly the best descenders, which is handy as it enabled me to pick up places every time the course headed down hill.

ferrals
    Free Member

Well done Steve that’s an epic result! What sort of time did you do that in?

Couple of questions:
    Anyone any idea why the last national results aren’t up on roots and rain? I have a feelin it might be because they aren’t as third party friendly in display as when it was timelaps.

Also, I seem to have totally lost the ability to recover this year. For example, after Wasing, last week was an easy week due to the amount of work I had on so 20 miniute spin on Sunday, and then commuting at a moderate steady pace (15km each way, flat, about 1/2hr) Tues and Thurs. Aimed to do a hill climb session on Saturday but sacked it off to mess around after 3 3 min reps up a fire road and 3 2min reps up a technical singltrack, just over an hour riding. No riding Sun or Mon, commuting into work this morning and my legs are feelinh really painful. Any ideas how to promote recovery? It’s getting annoying as I feel I can’t keep up a good level of riding, let alone interval training. THe only thing I can think is as I’m more time constrained this year I’m not doin enough (any) foam rolling whereas last year I’d do it 1-2 times a week

everyone
    Free Member

After having a bit of an epic bank holiday weekend (533km over 3 days on the road bike, taking in Buttertubs, Wrynose and Hardknott) I’m not sure I can be bothered to to get my race head on for the midlands at the weekend!

adsh
    Free Member

My reading was that volume in training gives a base that assists interval training later on. If you’ve had to sacrifice volume for time constraints it might have an effect. The other thing is the level of intensity. I’m finding it hard to recover but it’s because I’m doing Z6 intervals and despite being not a very hard session from the point of view of TSS it’s very hard on the muscles.

Also be careful about ‘messing around’ I had hoped to do my Z6 intervals today but yesterday z2/3 was painful. Examined my 2hr MTB ride on Sunday – 17minutes over threshold power….

steve_b77
    Free Member

ferrals – Member
    Well done Steve that’s an epic result! What sort of time did you do that in?

Cheers, it was one helluva event. I did it bang on target at 5hr 44mins total time, with a bit of time lost due to throwing up, Strava shows 5hr 20mins moving.

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 781 total)

The topic ‘2017 XC Racing Thread’ is closed to new replies.