• This topic has 15 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 2017 Whyte 629. Anyone got one.
  • renton
    Free Member

Looking at these as they look decent for the money.

Do any of you have one that can give me a quick review of it as can’t find reviews online.

Cheers

Steve.

Clink

Try recent issue of the mag…

renton
    Free Member

This one?

mboy
    Free Member

Have sold a couple so far, owners very happy.

I’m still on the 2016 version, albeit with a 120mm fork and full custom build.

Try recent issue of the mag…

They reviewed the 529, which is the same frame, albeit slightly lower spec build on it. Gave a good review.

renton
    Free Member

Cheers mboy.

What are they like size woise then.

I’m 6 foot 1. Large or xl ?

mboy
    Free Member

Pop in and have a sit (if you’re passing through again?) on one… More of a choice between M & L at 6ft1 though, the XL is enormous! We sold one to a guy at 6ft7 and it fitted him perfectly.

In fact the reason I’m not on a 2017 is cos the medium is too long for me! I’m 5ft10 and the 450mm reach is just a touch too long, and I don’t want to ride a small with a 16″ seat tube, so have stuck with my 15mm shorter 2016 version for now.

renton
    Free Member

Good to know.

I have a whyte dealer just down the road and they offer military discount so may take advantage of that.

My stumpoy that I just sold felt to short at 435mm reach and 622 top tube.

The large 629 is 467mm and 653mm respectively.

Is the SRAM drivetrain any good ?

mboy
    Free Member

My stumpoy that I just sold felt to short at 435mm reach and 622 top tube.

That’s my preferred reach, I’m 3″ shorter than you.

The large 629 is 467mm and 653mm respectively.

The medium is still long at 449 and 633, even the small is very big at 614 and 431.

Is the SRAM drivetrain any good ?

Way better than 11spd Shimano IMO. Would take NX or GX over SLX or even XT, if not XTR. I’ve run X1/X01/XX1 for a couple of years now and would only be tempted back to Shimano by Di2 if the price was right.

renton
    Free Member

So large will be ideal then.

Just out of interest I’ve seen places selling them at different prices. I thought whyte had foxed the pricing ?

chiefgrooveguru

I saw your sag vs reach question on your other thread – when you get on a hardtail the forks sag which moves the bars down and forwards, decreasing stack but increasing reach. When you get on most full-sus bikes the shock sags slightly more than the forks, increasing stack but decreasing reach.

The diagonal distance always stays the same but the fit is mostly determined by the horizontal bit of it, the reach.

My full-sus varies from 425-435mm reach depending on the geometry setting at the adjustable dropouts, and has a 50mm stem (so that adds about 45mm reach). My hardtail is 436mm reach unsagged and has a 35mm stem (so that adds about 32mm reach). If the static geometry was what mattered then they’d feel about the same length, the full-sus actually longer in the less slack dropout positions. But in reality the hardtail feels clearly longer than the full-sus, because of how it gets longer under fork sag.

mboy
    Free Member

So large will be ideal then.

If you like a long bike…

Just out of interest I’ve seen places selling them at different prices. I thought whyte had foxed the pricing ?

You may want to have a read of this thread to help with reasons why bike prices are going up and up… I know you’re out of the country a lot! For reference, I’ve got a pre-Brexit 2017 price list which has the 629 as a £999 bike, the first hike took it to £1060, it’s now £1125. Probably would have been £1150 had the price list been revised a few days later, given the response to Theresa May’s “Hard Brexit” speech a few days ago! 🙄

renton
    Free Member

Ok thanks for the heads up.

I’ve seen it up at £1150 in some places and 1050 in others.

I’m going to go into the shop and see if they have stock to sit on.

bearGrease

What’s the rear tyre clearance like? Scope for running a big 29er tyre? Is that space for B+ at a later date?

cokie

BG- I was looking at the bike and had the same question, so asked Mboy (Whyte dealer).

No chance you’ll get a 3″ 650+ tyre in there. Stays are curved quite heavily, 2.3″ 29er tyre fits ok in the 2017 version with clearance, but doubt very much you’d get any big B+ rubber in there. Besides, BB is VERY low… Lowering it further with B+ tyres would probably make it unrideable on anything other than the smoothest of surfaces

bearGrease

Thanks Cokie, I too like the look of the 629.

Also like the look of the Whyte 906, the 2.4″ tyres blow up very big, wondering if this would be the best balance of cost/capability/future proofing.Wonder if the 906 would take one of those 2.5″ or 2.6″ tyres…

mboy
    Free Member

What’s the rear tyre clearance like? Scope for running a big 29er tyre?

I’d say you’ll be fine up to about 2.3, maybe some 2.35’s. Any bigger and you’ll run out of clearance or you’ll start rubbing the paint off the stays every time you go round a corner.

Is that space for B+ at a later date?

As per what I said to Cokie. You’ll get a 2.8″ in there now, probably not a 3″. But even so, the BB is loooooooow with a 2.25 on there, bung a B+ in and you’ll want some short cranks on there (29×2.25″ Maxxis is approx 740mm diameter, 27.5×2.8″ Maxxis is about 725mm erd so approx 7.5mm lower BB height) as BB height will go sub 300mm!

Also like the look of the Whyte 906

You mean 901/905/909 range?

the 2.4″ tyres blow up very big, wondering if this would be the best balance of cost/capability/future proofing.Wonder if the 906 would take one of those 2.5″ or 2.6″ tyres…

The stock 2.4’s are big indeed, and with plenty of mud clearance. Not tried it, but reckon a 2.6 would go in there. Can’t confirm though, and not confident a 2.8 would go.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘2017 Whyte 629. Anyone got one.’ is closed to new replies.