• This topic has 503 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by matts.
Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 504 total)
  • 2017 TT'ing thread
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Not quite the start to the season I had planned here. Only second race of the year on Monday and I had to pull out after less than a mile of the 25. Past couple of months have been hampered by injury problems 🙁

So withdrawn from this weekend’s Charlotteville 50. And the Fairly United 10 on the 20th has just been cancelled. Might get a club event or two in in May but looks like my season starts in June 😕

TiRed

Can I have your place – was rejected 😉

matts
    Free Member

Congrats, TiRed. 8) 8)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Can I have your place – was rejected

You might well do if you’re on the reserve list!

winterfold
    Free Member

Just for info 3cm was clarified with a view to enforcing but ctt have now realised what everyone knew – its unenforceable.

So fill your boots ( while staying safe of course ) – big aero gains by finding your best elbow position – which could be < or > 3cm depending on your physiology

Kryton57

Congrats, TiRed.

Indeed! He was moving – he started 30 secs behind me and came past a lap later, then again just at then end of my penultimate and 10th lap. I finished 3 mins down on TiRed at 26:38.

It certainly was cold and my lack of experiences in the wet was telling as I had to mentally MTFU in the Hillingdon hairpins a few times, not helped on one occasion when I had to sit up on the brakes because 3 jnrs decided to ride abreast across the track.

In a blind panic over my now calibrated powerpod showing zero off the start (I now realised I need the wheel to spin up to start the speed sensor) I reached down an press the button to turn it to off accidentally, so raced the hold thing on RPE. However all my times where within 5 secs of each other range from 2:22 on my last lap to 2:27 on my slowest.

It shows how the weather affects things – I’m over 2 mins off my PB and racing 30w est. more power yesterday than when I set it on a Sunny evening last year.

Thoroughly enjoyable in a TT kind of way, I now need to clean the bike up up ready for Saturdays 10′ on the A11 🙂

TiRed

Bought a blue tinted visor for the Giro Advantage from Bob Heath Visors via eBay. Great fit, looks cool, should stop my eyes streaming. Also a 17 degree Thomson X2 stem to lower the front just a little, and make the bars a little more aero. Maybe.

And sadly I didn’t tick reserve, it was the first open event I’ve entered so wasn’t sure of the procedure. Have a throaty infection.

hjghg5
    Free Member

Horribly windy club TT tonight. Over a minute faster than last week though as the TT bike came out to play, and also faster than my first ride on the TT bike last season (which was a much better night). 2 strava QOMs on the tailwind section too…

twisty

Oh, and TiRed /Kryton57, were you cycling Here, at Minet Park?
    I wish I used that circuit more when I was living close by.

Kryton57

Yes thats it Twisty.

TiRed I hope thats not the generic one thats going around – see my thread in the chat forum, it has a 3-6 week life.

matts
    Free Member

TiRed I hope thats not the generic one thats going around – see my thread in the chat forum, it has a 3-6 week life.

Yeah. I thought I was getting over it at the weekend but I’m a right phlegmy bar steward this week. Probably explains why I struggled to get the power out on Monday. Don’t fancy being down for 6 weeks. 😥

hjghg5
    Free Member

A 25 mile PB for me on V232/1 today. 1.05.55, not as fast as I think I’m capable of but the headwind on the outbound leg was horrible and other people suggested it was a slow day. My power numbers looked decent though so I’m hoping for better weather on Etwall next week!

matts
    Free Member

Congrats, hjghg5. Bunch of my teammates did pbs on the E2 today, so maybe it was the day for it.

TiRed

Washed down the bike, removed wheel covers and gave it a polish. No Charlottesville 50 tomorrow, so will do a modest training ride to meet this weeks target. Ordered a 17 degree stem to flatten the front and drop the bars by a cm. might need to shorten the extensions to meet the UCI limit. Forks are almost compliant too.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Well done on the PB hjghj5 !
    PB for me also tonight also (by 30 odd seconds,) at Levans in Cumbria. One of my aims was to do a 20min ten this year and to achieve that so relatively early in the season I’m well happy 😀 especially seen as I was carrying a few injuries from a get down on my roadbike on Thursday which resulted in a cracked frame 😥

Kryton57

Sub 20 min nice! A PB for me too yesterday on E2/11 coming in at 23:40 even after getting a few things wrong with pacing and my rear shifter barrel rattling loose!

hjghg5
    Free Member

Good work all round on the PBS

crosshair
    Free Member

Well done guys!

twisty

Well I did my first ever competitive TT ever today in the Masters category, 24km (probably nearer 25km) in 41:18, a full 5:30 behind another brit. I feel I could’ve done quite a bit better as I was frequently going out of the aero position due to lack of conditioning and crappy setup.

Tired you may find you need to flatten out your aerobars for UCI compliance as no part (incl shifters in any position) may extend 10cm above or below the arm rest height. It does look longish too. Eshifters seem to provide a big advantage as they leave more length/height for the bars. I only got though compliance earlier today because I was judged to be over 190cm in height.

When I read the UCI rules I realised that because my old Quintana Roo frame does not have a UCI sticker it would have to be thoroughly checked and might well end up failing on something or other. So this seemed like an excellent excuse to jump on my recently purchased (2nd hand) Cervelo P3, but riding a bike I set up in a hurry the day before was not a good idea, I put the bars too low and my weight too far forward, which teamed with lack of riding in aero position for about a year meant I couldn’t hold the aero position and I spent a fair bit of time sitting up.

On the plus side, I finished before a thunderstorm came and rained off the competitors in the open category.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Going to go out on a limb and suggest the Charlotteville will be won with a 1:39 this year.

I see from strava that Tim did a 1:39 and he doesn’t think he won it 😯

winterfold
    Free Member

Dewey 1:37 – incredible

TiRed

Measured all the dimensions with shifters uppermost and it does fit under the 75cm BB to tip and +10cm rule. Where it doesn’t fit is the width of the steel forks 🙁 (they are thinner than 1 cm. Rode a 100 km training ride on it today https://www.strava.com/activities/975668128 , and aside from sore shoulders, it is a very smooth ride indeed, and my position is getting there. Best advanced is the blue visor I added to the Giro Advantage – no streaming eyes, but I probably need a helmet that doesn’t spend so long with a tail in the wind.

I didn’t get a place today and had hoped to be under two hours, so 1:37 is amazing. Well done to all the other PBs recorded this week.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Going to go out on a limb and suggest the Charlotteville will be won with a 1:39 this year.

Well I was nearly right

matts
    Free Member

Just entered the ECCA 10 mile champs on the 20th. Fingers crossed I’ll get in.

Gonna have to source some ABS and have a crack at that DIY disc cover!

matts
    Free Member

@TiRed – What do you think of the Bob Heath visor? I was about to buy one. How much light transmission does your blue one have?

matts
    Free Member

And I also found a supplier of ABS that is based in Hounslow. £20 for a 1300×660 sheet. Delivery is also 20 quid though, so I’ll have to work out if I can arrange a day out of the office so I can go and collect..

http://www.signmaterialsdirect.com/black-pinseal-embossed-abs-sheet-abs-black-pinseal-embossed

Actually, they’re right next to the tube. I may pop out there one lunchtime if they have stock.

TiRed

The Bob Heath visor is fantastic! get the blue not smoke or clear. Blue and green are much nicer tints that make things stand out – this from my optician mother. Fitted into my Advantage helmet by prising back the outer cover. I’ll add some silver tape to keep it in place. The only downside for me is I’ll need some daily disposable contact lenses for my +5 eyes, as there is no clearance for glasses.

I may go for some of that sheeting too, since it’s local to me.

-17 degree stem now fitted. Saddle angle fettled, and now have a drop of 12 cm to the pads, which I think is sustainable for up to 50 miles. Will test this on Thursday evening at the Hounslow 10.

matts
    Free Member

Bugger. It’s just their registered address. Stock is in Biggleswade.

twisty

There was a very nice chap vitesse3500 who I bought a wheel cover from on ebay, he doesn’t have any items listed but it might be worth sending him a message.

If he is still in business then basically you tell him what wheel you’ve got or send him dimensions and then he cuts the plastic to size and posts it complete with everything you need to attach it to the wheel, cost something like £40.

matts
    Free Member

If I bodge it that may be an option. 😆

I’ve got a sheet of 1.5mm ABS arriving tomorrow. Need to pop out and buy some ABS cement now.

No doubt I’ll go to all this trouble for a PB and my next few events will be in awful conditions. Last week there were 6 people under 19 on the E2!! Conditions must’ve been pretty good then. Next week will probably be a hurricane.

@TiRed – how did you attach the cover to your Jet9 – flush on the side of the rim, or ‘inside’ the rim against the nipples?

TiRed

I attached covers flush to the carbon with gorilla tape. Then masked with electrical tape all the way round.

matts
    Free Member

I was thinking that if the covers sat slightly inside the rim as it curved in towards the nipples, it would result in a shape very similar to a HED Stinger disc.

jb89
    Free Member

Hoping to finally race for the first time this year tonight!

Minor crisis as I was loading the car this morning to realise 3 chainring bolts were missing! Amazingly I had some lying there in the garage, so it’s going to be a bike fixing in layby kind of evening!

First time the TT bike has been out since the H50/8a last July so I’m not expecting much!

matts
    Free Member

Crikey. That sounds like a bit of a last minute decision. Good luck!

Got confirmation of my ECCA 10 place this morning. Now I’m sat at home waiting for my ABS sheet to arrive. Wish it would show up soon so I can go out for a ride.

mrblobby
    Free Member

jb89, you riding the DPCC one tonight? Was thinking I might do that or the NHRC one on H10/1.

Only third time out for me (first was an early season club event win, second a DNF after less than a mile!) and I’m about to re-wire the bars. What could possibly go wrong 😉

jb89
    Free Member

Crikey. That sounds like a bit of a last minute decision. Good luck!

More last minute preparation than decision!

jb89, you riding the DPCC one tonight?

Yep! Looking like a decent night if the rain holds off! Only ridden the non ‘R’ version once and quite liked it so hopefully all will work!

TiRed

Profile with covers is the same as a JET disc. Might put them back on for Sunday’s inter-club TT. Was hoping to race the Hounslow 10 tonight, but events ha conspired. Powerpod gave correct calibrated readings on th rid to work after adjusting for normal helmeet rucksack and no velotoze 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yep! Looking like a decent night if the rain holds off!

FFS this is getting ridiculous, finally legs feel ok-ish and I’m here ready to race but there’s a huge thunderstorm overhead!

hjghg5
    Free Member

Decent night for my club TT – looked like it was going to be windy but seemed to drop nicely. Rode out on my commuter in a ski suit then switched to the TT bike which my OH had driven out with. Happy with 34.53 at this point in the season (12.5 miles with a hill) – my all time PB is a short 34 and I’ve never gone sub 35 before July until today.

Plus someone I’ve not seen for a while asked me how much weight I’d lost, rather than asking if I’d lost weight.

matts
    Free Member

Rode out on my commuter in a ski suit

Must’ve been a bit warm this evening. 😯

Congrats on yet another PB!

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘2017 TT'ing thread’ is closed to new replies.