• This topic has 503 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by matts.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 504 total)
  • 2017 TT'ing thread
  • TiRed

A disc or covers will save about 30-45 seconds over 25 miles. I’d look for a set of covers, some cheap ones on ebay. Raltech is an established maker but others are available.

What a fantastic course!!!

Position looks good, but check the 80% rule, you look pretty close, depending on whether it is base bar or elbows.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Doubt you’ll get that much. Raltec have stopped making covers. It’s elbows, he’s fine.

matts
    Free Member

Looking really good, Andy. Your position compared to the pic on page 2 is night and day. Congrats on the top 10.

hjghg5
    Free Member

V212 for me today. First time on the TT bike in anger this season, first ride with the new position and only the second outing for the disc wheel. Very windy so I decided against putting the new deeper front wheel on and was quite glad of that. Some sketchy moments going past gaps in hedges and so on.

About 2 minutes faster than the same event last year (which admittedly had hideous weather) but more importantly within a minute of my course best which was on a glorious warm and floaty July evening when I’d had 5 weeks off work spending a lot of time on my bike so I’m happy with that for this stage of the season.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for the comments re position, certainly think I’m getting there. Any recommendations for what disc cover to go for ? I was thinking of a raltec but as said by umop3pisdn that’s a no no.
    Hjghg5 great result – to knock 2 mins off is some going !
    Was in the same boat as you with bad side winds on the coastal L212 course near Barrow-in-Furness today . Choose the 38 off my roadbike for the front but when I finished I thought I might’ve got away with my 80 but I’ll never know now. Came 6th overall and 2nd V40. Averaged 309w for the 49mins it took me to complete the course, think I’ve got more to give power wise, I did a hilly TT last year on my roadbike at an av of 340w for 40 mins so with some more training my power should increase as the season goes on hopefully.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Question for the TT’ers. Entered the Charlotteville 50. Never done a 50. What do I need to know?

I think I’m ok for pacing, happy enough in position for a couple of hours. What’s best set up for hydration during the race? Not something I’ve previously had to think about.

Edit.. oh and bjj.andy.w, good photo that second one.

matts
    Free Member

Is that on the H50/8? Andy (umop3pisdn) has ridden that so may be able to give you some specific course advice. (I actually drove down there last week but I wasn’t really considering TTing at the time).

For a 50 I would have my aero bottle full and try to drink from it every time I got to a junction/turn. I would also have a gel at half way (tucked in the hem of my skinsuit leg)

hjghg5
    Free Member

I’ve only done one 50 and dropped my gel when I tried to open it… my problem was holding position – a 25 is about my limit (or was, I’ve had a bike fit for this season so hopefully it is better now)

TiRed

For a 50 I’d want at least one bottle, probably 750ml. I’d just use an ordinary bottle. I might enter that one if I haven’t missed the deadline. I’m rubbish at entering. Not organised enough to be a serious tester!

Rode the second westerley on Wednesday evening with the new jet6/9 wheels. Got a PB, third overall (second equal if you round to seconds) and best of all calibrated my powerpod against the bikecalculator predictions to within 1%. All I need to do now is find another 10% to average 320 Watts to go under my target of 23 minutes. All…

I validated the bikecalculator model with the winner’s DFPM average of 395 Watts !!! Again to within 1%.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Only done one 50 ( the Circuit of the Dales spoco) but I managed it on a gel taken 15mins before the start, one 500ml bottle, sipping away little and often then a gel stuffed up my sleeve, taken around the 23mile mark. Make sure your well hydrated and have a good breakfast 2-3hrs before the event also.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Yes, it’s H50/8. I’ll try and pop down and do one of the club nights on H10/8 beforehand as I’ve not ridden it before.

I’m a bit rubbish at remembering to drink, tempted to get a bar mounted bottle. About the same price as a decent aero bottle and likely a bit more aero.

Kryton57

Can anyone hear suggest a useful way to stop an already hot helmet* falling over my eyes without buying a new one. It was fine until I put the front wheel into a pothole.

I’ve thought of a buff, cap backward.

*Giro Selector

mrblobby
    Free Member

Can’t quite remember how it looked now but I’ve taken the back bit out of my selector so i can tilt it back more readily. Comes out quite easily I think. I don’t have any problems with mine tipping forwards.

I’ve heard of some people taping a bit of Velcro to the tail of their helmets and the back of their skin suits so keep the helmet in position 🙂

kilo

Done the h10/8 and the h25/8 which make up parts of the fifty course a few times, iirc they’re quite nice courses, bit of a drag up on t the return legs but quite swift

mattsccm
    Free Member

The RDFCC season starts on Tuesday evening with a 6 miler. Its a CATI so all can ride as long as you are happy on the road. Better finish the “TT” bike off as I have yet to ride it and still need to chop 6″ off the steering column.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

I do 50s without a bottle (just two iso gels), just got to make sure you’re properly hydrated before – plenty to drink from the moment you wake up. But if it’s your first you might want to play it safe.

The stretch between the Holybourne and Chawton rbts has a terrible surface. Couple of draggy little climbs but it’s not exactly a hilly course. Farnham rbt can get a little busy but it’s Sunday morning so you should be alright. Headwind on the outward leg is fastest i think.

Going to go out on a limb and suggest the Charlotteville will be won with a 1:39 this year.

matts
    Free Member

Hydration and fuelling is an interesting one. Some of the research suggests that the body’s mechanisms for regulating output are not only linked to what stores it currently contains, but also in some part to the triggers that stores are being replenished. Studies found that even the taste of sugar could trigger a boost in performance, way before the time that the energy could be digested and distributed to the muscles. There is an interesting summary of similar findings on hydration over at Cyclingtips.com.

So I think the takeaway from this is that is your physiology is such that you feel at all like you need to drink during a longer TT, then your performance will probably benefit from being able to.

hjghg5
    Free Member

V235 for me today. Most comfortable ride on the TT bike yet positionwise (not comfortable in terms of effort though!) so the bike fit feels like money well spent. 3 minutes faster than the same event last year and £30 for 2nd lady (admittedly in a small field!). I think I should also have gone top of the ladies competiton in the Yorkshire SPOCO competition by my maths.

Now looking for some events on faster courses for the next month because I have my eye on a club record or two (one of which is already mine but I reckon I can go faster)

TiRed

Two hours testing a position and the new wheels on the Drift Road circuit. Rather pleasingly I was lapping in 23:10 without serious effort, so I’m hoping to manage a sub-hour 25 again this year at our inter-club TT next month. Position needed wider bars and raised a cm so I can keep my fingers wrapped around the shifters. You might like to know that my calibrated Powerpod reported 2:12 Watts#, and bikecalculator validated this with a predicted time of 23:01! Physics is great isn’t it 😉 . I also validated bikecalculator using the winning time at Wednesday’s Westerley ten and a bit at Hillingdon using a direct force PM. Am very satisfied now with the device now.

Still deliberating the 50, and thinking of how to make some disc covers for the Jet 9’s. I set them up with tubeless Vittoria Corsa Speeds, and my they do feel fast. Make a great noise too 😀 . Helmet change might be next, head comes up when tired, and I have to look over my glasses, making vision poor and eyes stream. Might go with contact lenses and a helmet/visor such as the Bambino.

#The geeks among us will recognise that the Powerpod and bikecalculator.com use the same model to make predictions, but consistency is nice to have ad validation was based on an independent dataset.

EDIT – entered -see you all on May 7th

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

It’s extraordinarily unlikely that a Bambino will be the fastest helmet for you.

TiRed

Why so? it’s meant to have a better position for more of the time for riders who don’t tuck their head away completely (which I can’t do for very long). Currently wearing an Advantage, that I hold in a pretty aero position (head doesn’t go down), but I definitely need a visor and an Aerohead is out of the question on price! Selector is a possibility too and I prefer the fit of Giro to be honest.

Kryton57

Am very satisfied now with the device now.

I’m pleased, mine arrives tomorrow 🙂

TiRed

Did you buy the speed sensor too? Most of my issues have been with speed sensors. I don’t bother with cadence and have not found any difference. Be sure to run the out and back calibration wearing your TT kit (helmet at the very least).

Instructions here https://ibikeforum.com/download/file.php?id=3517

winterfold
    Free Member

TiRed – it isn’t very fast because there is a still a gap behind your head where low pressure will form. Get a Selector or Javelin. The safest bet for the mostest people.

I’m liking bjj.andy’s progress.

H50/8 – dont be lulled into thinking it is 2 lots of Bentley 25 – the extra leg has the most annoying road surface in London West, South and London South Districts.

Badump

Badump

Badump

Badump.

One isogel, 500ml bottle if you think you need it, but it is doable without. It’s just if you think you need a drink, and dont have one, that will mess with your brain and cause far more problems than the possibility of 2 or 3W of drag from a bottle

Kryton57

Did you buy the speed sensor too?

I did – the Garmin one that wraps around the rear hub. I also bought 2x garmin mounts with the action cam mount, one for the road and tt bike respectively so its mounted dead centre away from my hands.

So, i was going to only perform the calibration for one bike then swap the sensor/powerpod as needed, but you think i need my aero gear on and that makes a difference? Therefore a 2 bike setup? I still havent worked out how you switch it from bike A to B looking at the internet instructions.

matts
    Free Member

If one of the Spesh aero bottles fits well in the angle of your frame it may well even be faster than without a bottle.

TiRed

You need TWO speed sensors. Set TT bike with first sensor mounted on front wheel. Isaac software will guide you through the set up. Ride out and back for calibration. Repeat with second sensor on other bike.

Powerpod has a set of values for CdA and rolling resistance. It needs to know if you are on your TT bike and it gets this info from the speed sensor it pairs with. I keep the red pod on my TT bike with dedicated sensor on front hub. I use the black pod on my road bikes and run two profiles, by using the TT speed sensor or another sensor depending on bar mount or combo mount. The integrated speed and cadence sensors in my Giant bikes didn’t work reliably. Once calibrated, I’ve been very impressed, but am still working on the combo bar mounted calibration.

You’ll also find that weight of rider and bike are not very sensitive, and the defaults aren’t bad, but there is a BIG change based on TT position compared with hoods or drops. Have a play on bikecalculator to get a feel for predicting watts for speed and hence time for distance. The average gives a good predictor of what powerpod is reporting in real time when on the bike.

Kryton57

Ok thanks – why on the front hub – nearer the powerpod/less likely to be covered in debris? And how do you switch it from bike to bike, or does it just know from the speed sensor ID?

Hopefully I’ll have it set up for Hillingdon on the 3rd!

TiRed

Direct line of sight and the inverse square law. It recognises the ANT ID of the sensor automatically.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Did the L101 course on Saturday morning, a out and back via a roundabout along the A6. Great dry and sunny day but chuff me it was a bit nippy ! Had a slight headwind on the way out with a nice tailwind for the return leg. Did a 21:31, coming in 4th overall and 1st vet. Talking to a few afterwards and a lot was saying it wasn’t a quick day due to it being so cold so to come so close to my official 10 PB (21:27) bodes well for the rest of the season. Don’t know if it was the coldness of the morning but according to my stages my power was way down, averaged 319w for the 10 against 340w the last 10 I did at the beginning of the season? Looking on the bright side if my pm was working as it should’ve at least it means my position is better :mrgreen:

crosshair
    Free Member

TT’ing 101 required please STW 🙂

The Zwift based club I’m in is doing a ‘real life 10mile TT time’ thing at the moment where everyone posts a real life ten time. So I’m going to give the Newbury RC one a go on Wednesday.

I’ll be on my road bike with a PM- so what’s a good pacing strategy??
    Aero advice is appreciated too but there’s not masses of scope tbh 😀

TiRed

so what’s a good pacing strategy

It’s 16 km, so divide into 4 km autolaps on distance, then FTP-5%, FTP, FTP+5% and FTP+10% is a good start. You can probably go harder than that, just don’t start too hard and “try to hang on”.

winterfold
    Free Member

Personally I think TiRed’s pacing strategy is too variable.

EDIT: and mathematically is 102.5%FTP which is a bit shit for a 10 – should be more like 107% if you do a good one (ie smell blood at the end)

If you know your best 20 minute power, ride to that, then turn it up for the last two miles, go flat out with a minute to go, and sprint the last 15s.

You also got a free sprint of 15s or so at the start, but try really hard not to overdo it, a ten is a sustained > FTP effort and requires considerable concentration and mental freshness.

andy – some serious Watts there, get yourself on a fast course and the PB will be destroyed – my 10 PB is 20:55 off 264W so you should smash that as your position looks reasonably sorted now

crosshair
    Free Member

And go harder on the uphillish bit and easier on the downhillish bit?

TiRed

He did say first 10 😆 . Whatever you do CH will be a PB and as mentioned 110% of FTP is a target 😈 . I’m rubbish at these short efforts, and have only raced hilly ones and Hillingdon. Might try an open on a fast course and VTTC. Much prefer 25s.

winterfold
    Free Member

But he’s got a power meter so must be pretty serious about something so I would expect some pacing ability?

Definitely worth turning it up a bit on drags or into the wind and knocking it off a bit on fast bits, experience will tell you how much, its not smash it then recover, like XC or road racing

10s are hard mentally as it is a sustained > FTP effort, as already said, this requires quite a lot of concentration, and a difficult day at work or mental stress will suck the ability to do a good one out of you. As will smashing the first few minutes when it feels like you could do 30W > FTP all the way round 😉

crosshair
    Free Member

Gulp! Not sure I’ll be 110% ftp 😆 That sounds a little too painful for a first attempt!

Kryton57

Last year my first tt’s at hillingdon i started – whilst riding to power – a negative split as this is how I felt good on the turbo. I later found consisitent pacing with the last two laps as smash laps faster for me.

In additon I recieved advice to go easy on the hill – I was faster trying harder on the hill and using the following S bend for recovery. FWIW I averaged FTP for 24 minutes. Its all personal.

This year I have a TT bike and can tolerate my pain more, it’ll be interesting to see what happens.

My Powerpod has arrived so it will be measured.

mrblobby
    Free Member

CH, don’t over complicate things 🙂 For first attempt just aim for even splits at around FTP. Worth setting your Garmin to 2 mile splits and try not to let the lap average power drop too much.

You’ll be on H10/3 which I find a hard course to ride well. It’s rather exposed on the way out, usually with a relentless headwind, there are lots of false flats, and the roundabouts at Hungerford can be quite busy. Bit more fun on the way back, but going out it’s one of my least favourite bits of road to race. Good luck 😉

matts
    Free Member

110% of FTP? That seems optimistic.

The common formula for estimating FTP is 20 min power x 0.95. The inverse of that would get you an estimate of 20 min power from FTP. i.e FTP / 0.95.

Given crosshair has never done a 10 before, and he’s doing it on a road bike, I am going to go out on a limb here and say he’s not going to break 20 minutes.

A pretty good first go on a road bike would be about 24 minutes – 25mph average.

I would suggest that targeting 103-4% of FTP for the first 10-12k and then give whatever’s left till the end.

If you can sprint at the end of a TT, you’re doing it wrong. If you get to a mile to go and your eyes aren’t bleeding, you need to turn it up to 11. You should be almost unable to turn the pedals by the time you approach the line, not breaking out the Cav. You might make a second by sprinting the last 50 yards. You will make much more than that by upping your effort in the last mile.

The only place that doesn’t apply is if the TT finishes uphill. If you can’t pedal 300 yards from the end in that case you’ll stop, and I don’t recommend that. 😆

For aero – Concentrate on hunkering-down on the hoods. Forearms horizontal, elbows tucked-in. Tuck your head down in front of your shoulders – but EYES UP ON THE ROAD!

Good luck, Crosshair!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘2017 TT'ing thread’ is closed to new replies.