• This topic has 503 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by matts.
Viewing 24 posts - 481 through 504 (of 504 total)
  • 2017 TT'ing thread
  • umop3pisdn
    Free Member

how many watts do people feel Strava shaves of their own numbers?

If someone’s using a PM, it shouldn’t shave off any power.

That course does tend to result in lower power numbers cos of the huge downhill at the start… whether or not Bigham’s PM is correctly calibrated is another matter…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve noticed Strava and TP report different AP numbers in the past.

Not huge differences but differences all the same.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I ask as most of the top 10 posted were around 350w for 45 mins.

Big ski slope drop at the beginning of R25/3H so would expect a lower avg power than on a flat course. Looking at Tim’s data, 374W for the 25, but only 315W for the 2.4 miles of downhill, which will skew the avg quite a bit.

Great ride by Tim too. He’s been doing some aero work recently, he’s always had the power and now he’s slippy as well!

TiRed

Had to miss the Reading 10 due to family commitments this weekend. Last Westerley on Wednesday to fettle position and disc, then (ulp) it’s the National 12 next weekend. So I’m resting this week – except for the National Masters circuit race champs on Saturday. Raised the bars an inch and bought some gel pads for the elbows from gelovations.

That course certainly damps down average power. Our rider yesterday recorded “only” 285W for the first 8km. That’s about 90 down on his normal average.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Pfft. Season over for me. Had the next couple of weeks before family and work commitments pretty much rule out any racing for the rest of the season. Now a sore lower back and squeezed sciatic nerve have wiped out this week and likely the next too. The handful of result I’ve had have been good but still a hugely frustrating and disappointing season 🙁

Time to start thinking about winter training. 2018 goals… to actually race the bloody bike 😡

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

First ride on the back of the tandem on Cumnor last night.

Saddle too high, position too cramped, stitch from mile 6 and an crazy low cadence; rolled in with a low 21 so there’s definitely potential there.

Really weird not being in control and kept trying to go for a gear change, going to fit my Vectors to it for the next one to see just how hard I’m made to work.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Good effort TSY, we clocked around 22:30 at Levens in our first effort for a couple of decades. Don’t think it’s a PB but can’t remember for sure 🙂 only ever did a handful of flat TTs when living in Bedford before moving north and discovering MTBing…

Could have done with better gears, the jumps on our 13-28 7 speed cluster were a bit on the large side!

TiRed

268 miles today in my first 12hr. A little tired and shoulders are sore. Awaiting exact time and handicap adjusted placing.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Much respect not just for doing it but that’s a big distance too.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Well done TiRed ! Great mileage

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Nice one. The National? I saw Alice Lethbridge broke Beryl Burton’s comp record.

TiRed

Yes the national. Results have not yet been released. But apparently she has done it. My first, which I rather enjoyed. Probably need to work harder on hurting myself mid race and on the finishing circuit. I’m definitely better suited to endurance.

jb89
    Free Member

With the (competitive) bit of my season over, I’ve decided to try the mantis position for the last couple of races. Went ok with it on Thursday, but my PM died so I have no idea what power I put out for comparison! I suspect less, as I’d been running/squash training the day before, yet maintained usual gaps to to others, so I suspect it’s got potential.

Photo below, I’ve got some 6cm longer extenstions to put on, as the current are a bit short.

View this post on Instagram

MANTIS!

A post shared by James (@jamesbarlow) on

TiRed

Have a look at bikecalculator app, and see if you can calibrate your PM, then use the tool to predict power for speed in new position. The app has an adjustment option for aero efficiency the web page does not. A change in this value will tell you if your position is more efficient with a PM.

Did you insert the J bends the wrong way to get the bars really high?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Great ride TiRed, impressive stuff.

Well I had one more race entered this year, Icknield RC on F11/10. Given what happened last time I rode that course I wasn’t sure if I’d ride. But predictably it’s just been cancelled anyway 🙄

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Did my second 50mile TT on Sunday, getting a PB of 1:57:03 on a not very fast course (lots of T junctions) Happy with that after my injuries I’ve had this season. Only problem is my saddle sores have made a reappearance with a vengeance right at the wrong time 🙁 I’m in the running for the NLTTA long distance BAR but the trouble is next week it’s the biggie, the 12hr. Any advice for the STW massive on what to do regarding the sores ? Since Sunday I’ve been covering them with suddacream and they’ve certainly improved but it’s on the day I’m more concerned about. I guess it’s just a case of slapping the Assos cream on and hope for the best ?

TiRed

Germoline and lancing works for me. I’m now looking at a reverse BBAR. Saddle choice may also help as my TT bike position much further forward and that relieves pressure, as does extra pressure via the legs lifting off the derriere.

I’m afraid I didn’t suffer at all, and used plenty of the Assos.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

So I could put this on the wanted add but considering new also – where is the best place to get some super cheap ski bends (I assume this is the correct term for the “j” shaped extensions with an upturned end?) which take shifters. So NOT just clip on bars.

I’ve got some s-bends on the TT bike already and don’t like them but to swap seems crazy money for a pair of bent tubes with some cable holes on them!

TiRed

I just bought the crazy priced 3T alloy bars for about £30#. Yes I know they are silly money. The TT forum often has some come up used, but normally cut. I swapped from some very short S bends – cut by the last user.

Have the Albi UCI Chrono on Thursday. Bike is ready. Course is “technical”. Has a downhill with 90 degree bend. What could go wrong?

Still no final result from the 12hr, but I’m pretty sure I was 20th with 266.6 mi and second on handicap. My CTT results still only have a single entry 🙁

#didnt feel so bad as the carbon HED corsair bars and red alloy brake levers and some custom made elbow pads were all bought for £50 used!

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Managed to get the saddle sore issues cleared up enough to start the WCTTA 12hr TT. Kinda knew they’d make a reappearance (which they did, around the 170mile mark) so took some ibuprofen and told myself to mtfu 😀 This was my first 12hr (although I’ve done some pretty big rides over the years on the roadbike) so how to pace it was a bit of a conundrum. My aim for the race was around the 260mile mark so set off really steady, averaging around the 21mph for the first 22 mile lap I’d set up on the Garmin then build up the pace. The course was split into three circuits, a morning one that had some really rutted roads to contend with, the day circuit which wasn’t to bad (well, apart from the two sets of temporary traffic lights that caused a lot of peddling downtime :x) then the finishing circuit that also had a set of traffic lights. Did my pacing go according to plan ? Yes and no really, I think I might’ve been a touch too conservative at the start. My last 22mile lap was the fastest of the day, in fact it was nearly 5mins quicker than some of the mid race laps. Still, better to do this than go out too fast and blow up. Ended up with 266.36miles, giving me 4th overall. Altogether it was run by WCTTA it was also the NLTTA 12hr championship so was over the moon when I found out I’d won that.

matts
    Free Member

Anyone planning a hill climb season this year?

I’ve already signed-up to the Lovelo Cinelli on Bison Hill and the Urban Hill Climb. Also planning on entering Catford+Bec again, then the Eastern Counties Champs, and Watford Velo on Whiteleaf.

TiRed

Missed this

Ended up with 266.36miles, giving me 4th overall. Altogether it was run by WCTTA it was also the NLTTA 12hr championship so was over the moon when I found out I’d won that.

Congratulations. That’s 0.2 miles under my first 12hr and I was 22nd in the National and 10th on standard in VTTA. It’s a very competitive distance.

I think I might’ve been a touch too conservative at the start

Definitely this. Like any TT, I guess practice makes perfect. I averaged 200 Watts for the 12 hr, but will be looking to up that to 220 next time with a HR strategy of 140/150/145 instead.

Anyone planning a hill climb season this year?

No! Might ride the club climb and the West London Hill Climb.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Congratulations

Thanks ! Quite enjoyed it in a weird kinda way. Think I’ll have another go at the BAR next year on quicker courses.
    Did my last 10 today on Levens, getting a PB of 20:34 but with a lower power av of over 20w compared to my last best time. Go figure ! Traffic wasn’t really busy so that didn’t make the difference. Must’ve been my increasingly expanding waistline on the downhill start 😆 one more race to go next weekend, the inter club 25 then the season is over ! Is it just me or has the racing season gone so fast. Seems like only yesterday that I was doing the March spocos 😥

matts
    Free Member

Bec HC. Not great. Struggled a bit with a cold last week. Suppose I rode OK considering. 2:10.3 – 26th – 5th vet. I love the atmosphere and camaraderie of hill climbs. For a brief moment, you get to experience riding through a screaming crowd. Certainly beats a lonely wet Sunday on the E2. 😆

Viewing 24 posts - 481 through 504 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘2017 TT'ing thread’ is closed to new replies.