• This topic has 503 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by matts.
Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 504 total)
  • 2017 TT'ing thread
  • jb89
    Free Member

Enjoyed the Swindon RC 10 last night, 22:10 for 4th. Would have dipped under 22 and come 2nd if I hadn’t had to stop dead at a roundabout for c. 10s! Not having much luck with roundabouts recently!

Pleased with the ride though, probably the best paced 10 I’ve ridden!

Got a photo of my position too which was useful. Doesn’t ‘look’ massively aero, but it seems to have served me well for the 3 races I’ve ridden it!

http://tedparrottphotography.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Swindon-Road-Club-Time-Trial-13-July-2017/Cycling-024.jpg

TiRed

Interesting race. Set Garmin from work without satellites acquisition, rode to the start (25 km), and signed on just in time. Course was the alternative 9 mile route due to traffic lights. Rode entirely on feel, not even speed (I did wonder why there was no speed at the time!). Had to stop due to a car reversing out of a house across the lane. He looked a bit sheepish, and I was travelling at about 25 mph, with a front flashing light! Back on the gas along my favourite lumpy lane (Stonehill Road, Chobham) for a time of 21:13 and second place; 25.4 mph average speed. Pleased with that.

Riding on feel not numbers meant I spent a lot of time considering how the legs were feeling. As that Talansky video says, riding to numbers is all well and good, but it is speed that matters. Will try it again.

eTap was again absolutely flawless on roads so bumpy my Scorpion light was loose at the end.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Did my first race since my “get down” two weeks ago doing the 100 mile TT, the NLTTA 25 championship. Finished well down the field, completing it in 1hr 1min on a pretty crap course (lots of draggy hills to contend with.) Looking back on today I probably shouldn’t of competed, although the road rash is healing nicely my hip/groin has been giving me some serious problems over the last couple of weeks. My power was well down, over 35w compared to my last 25 🙁 Really wondering if I can heal in time to complete the BAR championship. I’ve still got a 50mile and the 12hr to do on the 12th and 20th of August respectively.

jb89
    Free Member

4 races this week planned!

WOTG 10 tonight if I’m not too tired,
    H10/17r Thursday – Are you heading over MrBlobby?
    F15/10 Saturday,
    H10/22 Sunday before going to a wedding!

Hit a few intervals last week and weekend, so hoping to find some form!

lightman
    Free Member

jb89 – Member
    Enjoyed the Swindon RC 10 last night, 22:10 for 4th. Would have dipped under 22 and come 2nd if I hadn’t had to stop dead at a roundabout for c. 10s! Not having much luck with roundabouts recently!

Pleased with the ride though, probably the best paced 10 I’ve ridden!

Got a photo of my position too which was useful. Doesn’t ‘look’ massively aero, but it seems to have served me well for the 3 races I’ve ridden it!

http://tedparrottphotography.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/Swindon-Road-Club-Time-Trial-13-July-2017/Cycling-024.jpg

Just a couple of things:
    1) Aero shoe covers (a must)
    2) Proper aero front wheel, always should be first before rear disc.
    3) It might just be the position/angle, but saddle looks a tiny bit to low?!
    4) As long as you’re not doing UCI races, point the bars up more. The praying mantis is the fastest position and it helps stop you sliding forward on the saddle.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hi JB. Missed out on H10/17R on the weekend which was annoying. Got the VTTA F11/10 tomorrow then either DPCC H10/17R or H10/1 Thursday.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

JB see you at WotG tonight- first outing for me on my “new’ TT bike (Slice from an FB group).

Summer CX for me Thursday night so mixing it up a bit.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve just put together a TT bike and am thinking about giving some of the local 10 milers a go. Just need to find a local club that uses a reasonably flat route as our club 10 mile TT route is 8 laps of the Hogg Hill circuit which has a big bastard hill every lap and I’d be struggling to break 30 minutes on that.

jb89
    Free Member

crashtestmonkey
    JB see you at WotG tonight- first outing for me on my “new’ TT bike (Slice from an FB group).

Awesome! Definitely a 22 on the cards for you, if not quicker!

TiRed

Like that. I’ve been fettling too. Now have a Wolf 1″ carbon aero fork for UCI compliance, some rear mounted TRP brakes to stay out of the wind, and I tried a Bell Javelin Small – didn’t fit. I also tested a Giro Aerohead, but it didn’t feel as fast as my Advantage – and the laps of Hillingdon seemed to bear this out. Disc has been returned for a replacement, but basically it’s ready to go…

So I entered a 12hr after the 7.5hr fixed escapade at the weekend left me feeling better than I thought I would.

jb89
    Free Member

A good night last night, 21:42 at WOTG, which is possibly my quickest 10 not on the F11! No traffic assistance required! 😛 Good work from CTM too with a PB!

Dropped my bars 2.4cm (-10 to -24 degree stem) with no effect on power so I’ll stick with it for a bit.

TiRed – Is that the centre pull TRP? I’m thinking about one of those for the front, as apparently it can quite easily be bodged to work! No arms outside the headtube line, and vertical cable has to be a winner.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ugh an accident at the VTTA on F11/10 today. Was off early at 21 and the traffic was already backed up by the time I got there. Rider lying in the road being seen to and a mangled bike, horrid sight. Really hope the rider is ok. I think he got airlifted.

They were putting times up on the board at the HQ when I got back which didn’t seem right to me 🙁

Kryton57

Here’s a question. Numbers just for easy maths.

I complete a race whereby I’ve just my effort to average a 80watts. After I finished, data shows I achieved 110 watts average.

Is it reasonable then on the next event to aim to average the 110w and push on in the latter stages, knowing I can achieve it? E.G use last rides average power data to improve upon?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Kryton. Doesn’t sound unreasonable. Though keep in mind you’re trying to ride the course as quick as you can, not average some power target.

Feeling bad that I didn’t stop at the accident today. I’ve no first aid knowledge so I don’t think I’d have been any help, and I could see a lot of people out of their cars helping. I didn’t even have a phone to call for help. So, race over, I just rode on to let the race officials know.

TiRed

Yes it uses a noodle and is direct pull. Fits with the new forks and is a quarter the price of the TriRig. Mine is silver to match the groupset. Well the cranks and rear brake. Bike will be finished with the disc wheel. From the front it is very clean indeed.

TiRed

Some pictures of this work in progress. Just the disc to swap now. It’s not an English (Oh I wish), but it was built by England’s most famous TT bike builder (Barry Chick). You can see from the front how well the brake is hidden. And from the side, how much space you will need to fit it. There was not enough room with the MDT/Argos steel fork. Now to see if it’s faster!

Jamz
    Free Member

Feeling bad that I didn’t stop at the accident today. I’ve no first aid knowledge so I don’t think I’d have been any help, and I could see a lot of people out of their cars helping. I didn’t even have a phone to call for help. So, race over, I just rode on to let the race officials know.

There’s nothing you could have done mate. Unless you’re first on the scene, or first aid trained, then the best thing to do it carry on riding. If its that bad then its gonna need the professionals to sort it out. Stopping on a DC is never a good idea and as soon as other people see one rider stopped then maybe they think they should stop and you end up with a crowd forming. If he has got a first aider and the emergency services have been called then there literally nothing else to be done, except making sure the situation doesn’t get any worse.

TiRed

Having been at the pointy end of a fatality, it’s dreadful. Awful news. Condolences to the family.

Some first aid training goes a long way, but the most important part is that somebody takes control. Stopping traffic, calling the emergency services, and administering first aid. If those actions were taken care off, there is no more you could have done.

My clubmate had the same tragic outcome despite everything we did. Awful.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Read this morning that he died at the scene. Just awful. RIP Ray.

jb89
    Free Member

Absolutely awful news Wednesday. Circumstances unknown, but I never feel the F11 is dangerous, super wide, quiet and large shoulders. Shows that it can happen anywhere.

21:38 on the H10/17r last night for me, a 30s course PB but not brilliant. I just don’t seem to do well on that course!

F15/10 tomorrow has been moved to the F11/10, which is good in PB potential, but I wouldn’t have raced Tuesday and last night if I’d have known! Then H10/22 Sunday, which I think I may be exhausted for by then!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice work JB. Is a hard course to get right.

Didn’t race yesterday, didn’t even go for a ride. Wednesday’s events very much on my mind. Been at events where there have been incidents before but never saw the scene, and never one with such tragic consequences 🙁

I would have agreed with you about the F11/10, but I’ve raced twice and both times there’s been a bad accident and the event has been cancelled. Talk at the HQ after the event that it’s becoming such a frequent occurrence that permission for events to be run on that course may not be granted in future. Is a shame as it is probably the fastest course round these parts. At 8 miles when my race ended I was easily on for a PB. Took a wrong turn at the first roundabout and had to do an u-turn, had to slow and filter through traffic for the accident, and then not racing the last couple of miles, strava says I still did a 20:01 for the 10.

jb89
    Free Member

Successful weekend for me

21:50 for 4th in the Islington CC event Saturday, and 21:18 for 7th in the Watford Velo Sport event yesterday.

I was hoping for some Top 10’s this season, so I’m quite pleased!

Tired after 4 x 10s in 6 days, and managed 4 x 21:xx, which was my target. A modest target, but going the right way!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice work JB. How did you do at the F11/10, which was that?

jb89
    Free Member

It reverted back to a variant of the F15/10 in the end, after discussions with CTT according to race email. I imagine after Wednesday’s tragedy, which is perfectly understandable.

Missed out the ski slope start of the F15, and did 2 laps between roundabouts for those familiar with it.

Kryton57

Well, I nearly binned it tonight.

Going fairly fast – I’m relatively inexperienced – over a rough road on the extensions and my vision went wobbly and so did the front wheel.

My issue – being honest – is that I feel a bit out of control fast downhill without pressure on the pedals and before I’ve had a chance to change gear. Then, I’m too busy shitting myself and fighting the urge to sit up to reach my thumb out to shift.

Any quick fix or just MTFU and experience?

jb89
    Free Member

I think practice is the key. After not riding the TT bike for 7 months every year I find it bizarre, and an effort to corner etc., but give it 2 or 3 rides and I find nailing corners at race pace fine.

Other contributors may be seat too far forward so weight is a little unevenly distributed?

Or maybe tilt extensions up a bit so you’re kind of pushing back and making yourself more stable on the bike.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Were you pedaling? If not, ‘sit’ on the pedals if that makes sense – get your weight lower and it’ll stop you freeing up on the bike.

I find a more stretched out position helps with stability too.

TiRed

Any quick fix or just MTFU and experience?

Wiggle your fingers. It relaxes the shoulders and removes the death grip. Moving back in the saddle also helps to stabilize the weight.

Kryton57

Fantastic, thank you all.

jb89
    Free Member

Actually managed to get a ride on the mighty V718 this weekend, and couldn’t be less excited.

As fun a 4 races in 6 days the other week was fun, my motivation to ride a bike, never mind race has disappeared it seems! Though the weather isn’t helping!

I’d probably have withdrawn usually and saved a 350 mile trip, however I’m up North anyway so I may as well partake.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I’m on V718 on Saturday too. I’m not riding well at the moment so I’m not quite sure why I entered it but we’ll see what happens.

My season has got a bit disrupted due to an ongoing car issue (it broke down on the way to a TT in mid June and still isn’t right!). I’ve been hiring cars for weekend events (although I’m trying the train on Saturday) but have missed out on midweek evening TTs. I’ve even resorted to bunch racing instead as that’s easier for me to get to.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m having a go on the back of a tandem tonight in advance of racing Hull on one next weekend.

Only thing left to do after that on my journey to becoming a fully fledged tester is buying a trike.

Kryton57

I’ve not raced as much as I’d have liked due to focus on MTB and she injuries, but I have E22/24 on Sunday, should be interesting considering this’ll be my 4th TT of the year with only 2 x10’s and 1 x 15m under my belt.

Of course, its going to hurt!

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

I’m having a go on the back of a tandem tonight in advance of racing Hull on one next weekend.

Only thing left to do after that on my journey to becoming a fully fledged tester is buying a trike.

You need a fixed tandem trike. I’ve got two thirds of the way there:

DT78
    Free Member

Well I’m getting rather grumpy. Life is conspiring against me getting a chance to ride the new TT bike. It’s been 3 months now confined to the turbo. In desperation to actual ride the bike outside for its maiden voyage I was going to commute on it this morning and go for a lunch spin.

But no, strong winds and showers. Back on the commuter….

mattsccm
    Free Member

I’m saving my trike for our last “TT” of the season. The dead flat, no camber, 1km sprint. Our courses in the FoD are way to rough for my level of trike control. Now, do I run it fixed or gears? Aero or normal bars?

thecaptain
    Free Member

Got a “proper” TT ride on the tandem a week next Sat on the flat L1015 course near Levens, having done nothing similar for the past 20 years! Have done a few club events on a sporting course though, and got a nice PB last night so at least we are in some sort of shape. Rather to my surprise, there will be another tandem turning up to beat us.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Managed a 25 mile PB on Saturday at the L2511 up at Keswick, Cumbria. Set a time of 55:12, coming joint 10th. Quite happy with that considering my injuries I’ve had to contend with this season. Only 3 more open events for me to do (although I’ve entered another 100 but it comes a week after the 12hr so doubt I’ll be recovered in time)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I was looking through Bigham etc Stravas from the national 25 yesterday… how many watts do people feel Strava shaves of their own numbers?

I ask as most of the top 10 posted were around 350w for 45 mins.

Kryton57

I turbo’d a pre race ride on Saturday only to get indoors and find a “race” cancelled email.

Sigh.

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘2017 TT'ing thread’ is closed to new replies.