Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 2017 mtb bike pricing
  • doncorleoni
    Free Member

Without opening a can of worms I am genuinely interested in how something like the pivot switchblade can cost £9,400. Saw one at swinley today… Looked smart..pretty light but didn’t blow me away. Had to look twice at the price!

I am never going to be able to afford one (which is no problem) and totally get that people with more money than me can afford something like this (which is cool) but how is that price made up?

Frame must be at least a couple of k forks another £1k, electrickery another 1k drive train 1k finishing kit 1k wheels 1k… That’s 7k. Markup and import fees 2.4k? I guess something like that.

https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/pivot-cycles-switchblade-27-5-29-full-suspension-mountain-bike-2017-p321406/s553627?gclid=Cj0KEQjw6LXIBRCUqIjXmdKBxZUBEiQA_f50Puiud9VH5qSPMmA0_xnpVoLsC2tM3IhAUdmROx6dL1oaAvSd8P8HAQ

pinetree
    Free Member

I’ll pop the kettle on…

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Yeah kind of done that already…. Also have biscuits ready.

tomhoward

Rrp of the frame is £3400 iirc, wheels (I assume the Reynolds carbon ones?) are nearer £2k
    Edit: £3100 for the frame

Full bikes can be had for sub 6k with cable xtr/xt and Alu wheels. Hell, even going 1x on the Di2 knocks £800 off the £9.4k

My 429 SL W/xx1 eagle and DT Swiss xmc1200 carbon wheels (no dropper though) RRP 6900. Bargain.

Margins really aren’t great if the dealer isn’t a pro dealer (based on the number of frames sold) with pivot either.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Hmmm Carbon Frame, Carbon Wheels, top of the range Fox and D12 XTR – if that’s not a halo model I don’t know what is.

Same story with the new Intense Tracer, I’ve got the last one, wanted the new one so much it hurt – top of the range one £10k (last one was too) made my head hurt, I’m sure it only exists for their pro team and to make the £4K – £6k ones seem cheap, rather than expensive compared to the Capra which tops out where the Tracer starts.

Crazy money anyway, it wasn’t long ago that £5k was halo / super bike money but I guess it’s as much about fancy stuff that didn’t exist long ago – I blame Enve ha ha

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Yeah cheers Tom…. Hadn’t appreciated the price of frame and carbon wheelset. Actually looking at the pricing a little more for all the main bits I am getting close to 8.5k so as you say… Not as much margin as I originally thought.

Was a nice bike don’t get me wrong but not £9.5k nice.

Ok let me ask another question….have any of you guys/girls actually spent close to 10k on a bike? Did you feel it was worth it?

I have probably spent close to 10k in the last 10 years directly on bikes and parts but not on a single purchase.

I would absolutely love to have a dream bike and perhaps will do one day.

tomhoward

I guess it’s as much about fancy stuff that didn’t exist long ago

Like carbon wheels, sorted carbon frames that can have 170mm+ travel and not flex and/or snap, and electric gears?

doncorleoni
    Free Member

P-jay yeah my last shop purchased full build was a Spesh camber expert. Nothing amazing but had full xt and mid range kit. This was £1600 back in 2010. Back then 3.5k would get you a hell of a lot of bike….now days that’s pretty much considered mid range.

P-Jay
    Free Member

@tomhoward – yes, expactly.

Last time I went ‘mad’ on a bike before kids and stuff was nearly 10 years ago, no holds barred, went top of the range custom build, I think it cost £4 all told.

Alu, frame, hope hubs / headset etc, fancy 888 WC TI forks that cost £800 etc, bling as you like – but yeah X9 with a super short plastic cage was pretty trick back then, as was the Ti spring for the DHX 5 shock. Simpler times as they say!

tomhoward

Not 10k, but I have 2 that are over £8k (Di2 didn’t exist for mtb when I bought them in 2014, glad it didn’t as I would have bought it, but have since tried it and hated it)

They are wonderful. As good as a bike can get and as such I never have a feeling of ‘it would be better if I had a ……’

Are bikes half the price rubbish in comparison? Of course not, but how often do you see spec compromises on bikes like that, a slightly too heavy frame, oem finishing kit, crap tyres etc, little things that niggle at you (well me anyway) that could be a bit better?

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Tom ta… Yeah perhaps spending more upfront is the more sensible option. Should have done that with the camber I mentioned…. Cost me 1600 but within a month I spent £400 on hope hoops (stock wheelset was crap).

Then converted to x1 (another £120 for ring and clutch mech). Then the bars got wider… New stem…. New pedals…. New tyres… Plus a reverb. That’s probably close to 3k there!

These options were not available mind you on OEM build but you are quite right… Spending more upfront on a high spec build (assuming what’s on offer is what you want) does make more sense.

chakaping
    Free Member

You don’t add up the RRP of frame only and all the components to get the price of a full bike. You expect a better deal for buying a complete bike (as bike companies pay a fraction of RRP for groupsets & bits).

A few of these £9 and £10k bikes that are popping up now might sell to mugs, but are mainly there as a marketing exercise, I suspect.

tomhoward

No, but given that the rrps are all we have to definitively go on, it’s kind of all we have.

I didn’t pay the rrps of any of my bikes, but that might just have been down to my negotiating skills/the mood of the shop owner on that day, so it’s unfair to use that to compare.

P-Jay
    Free Member

@chakaping

I thought the same on a few bikes, they don’t appear to be the sum of their parts, even if you forget CRC exists and work off RRP.

The way around it for bike makers seems to be the ‘special frames’ like spesh used to do with the ‘S Works’ Alu frames which were different in some way, but no one seemed to know how – you wouldn’t see it in black and white.

Anyway, for Intense that’s the ‘SL’ frames, they come with Ti bolts and supposedly different carbon frames, like the C and CC Santa Cruzes.

I’m a terrible cynic, but I have my doubts. Still great bikes, great price tags, I’d love to own one – but by the time my eldest is self-sufficient I’ll be nearly 60, not sure I’ll fancy a razor sharp enduro race bike by then, they’ll probably be £20k by then and made of graphane or something.

stuey
    Free Member

‘back in ’97 $36,000 would buy you..

iirc correctly they only sold one – the other was stolen + added beryllium side effects :-0

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Few little things like inflation and a weaker pound don’t help.
    On top of that stuff exists now as said before. Somebody mentioned the s works line and the santa Cruz cc. I had an S works alu bike it was lighter than the normal one due to it using a different more expensive aluminium grade. C vs cc is in the carbon layup, they found a cheaper way to do it but it was heavier to get the strength.
    Who buys them? I know people with high disposable income who do. I also know plenty who are sponsored or in the trade riding them, rrp was never considered in those deals.
    If you didn’t offer a bike that compares with your race offerings you would be mad,

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If you can afford it then why not, are they has much value as a £1,500 bike nope, but if you can splurge £10,000 on a bike either money isn’t an issue, or you have nothing better to spend your money on.

In that way a bike company would be daft not to produce a bike at silly money

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘2017 mtb bike pricing’ is closed to new replies.