Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • 2016 Yorkshire Dales 300. Take a look. I dare you :)
  • sturider

http://riderscyclecentre.com/?page_id=2568[url=https://flic.kr/p/Dg2Xc1]YD 300 2016[/url] by Stuart Rider, on Flickr][/url]

dirtyrider
    Free Member

What’s wrong with 26″ tubes in a 29″ wheel?

postierich
    Free Member

Classic event do it people
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/viHS7H]11698922_10153468505471474_2987316548540140426_n[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/viJ6Xi]988576_10153464645871474_7566926994409027944_n[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

firestarter
    Free Member

Is there a 200 as well or am I just making it easier in my mind..

Mmm… Rohloff with 40mm tyres or poorly geared fatbike….

postierich
    Free Member

there is a 200 later on in the year!

eddie11
    Free Member

Ribblehead did not look like that when i did it!

This is a great route with a great crack. Theres plenty of pubs and cafes on route and some of the best riding is at the end so theres an incentive to finish. Well recommended.

firestarter
    Free Member

Cheers rich

whitestone
    Free Member

I thought that Stuart was planning on having the 200 early in the year this time?

I’ve entered, see if my aging bones can get round again 🙄

eddie11
    Free Member

Is there a 200 as well or am I just making it easier in my mind..

Mmm… Rohloff with 40mm tyres or poorly geared fatbike….

someone finished on a cross bike and tent last year which is nails as its essentially doing the 3 peaks, with a tent, and for 300k. so no excuses.

firestarter
    Free Member

Lol Eddie I may have to try the 200 but the 300 will probably be beyond me I’m afraid to admit 🙁

postierich
    Free Member

200 was a good day out but would go for the 300 for an adventure with pain

firestarter
    Free Member

It’s an idea 🙂

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Entered it last year, but failed to even turn up as I moved house at the same time. eddie11 won’t shut up about it, so maybe, just maybe…

miketually
    Free Member

Tempted by it, but setting off from Darlington after work on Friday and joining/leaving route at Dales Bike Centre to get home on Sunday, though I just realised that makes it 390km…

ChrisE
    Free Member

I did the 200 this year. The best ride I had in the UK in the year.

Will be doing the 300. It is supposed to be individual but doing it as a pair is fine

C

whitestone
    Free Member

Will be doing the 300. It is supposed to be individual but doing it as a pair is fine

You end up riding with others for a while anyway as riders’ energy ebbs and flows. Last year I had company for most of the first day but hardly any of the second.

thecaptain
    Free Member

A bit much for us. Might do the route over 3 days with B&Bs on the way 🙂

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

Been giving this one some thought I need to do something that will challenge me this year.

I’ve never done bikepacking before but it appeals, I’ve read the kit list but what sort of gear did you take along last year and where did you camp / bivvy?

Edit: will I die if I attempt it on a fat bike?

whitestone
    Free Member

Took too much kit!! Really a lot depends on the weather forecast and how much you are prepared to tough out maybe four or five hours of semi-sleep. Apart from the first two back most bivvied somewhere between Fleet Moss and the start of the BW from Dent to Ribblehead. I bivvied on the Pennine BW before the descent to Newby Head. Where you bivvy will also depend on the weather: last year it was warm & humid so you really didn’t want to be somewhere sheltered near vegetation because of the midges. Equally it was forecast to start raining overnight so being up high could also have backfired (it actually began to rain at about 6am).

A lightweight inflatable mat like the Klymit x-frame, a down summer sleeping bag (PHD) and a bivvy bag (Alpkit HUnka) will weigh under 1Kg but could cost a significant amount of cash 😆

You are allowed to use (but not pre-book) any facility you find on route. Last year most tried to get to the Dales Bike Centre before it shut but that might be a bit harder to do this year as the new route adds about 15Km before you get there (comparing the two route maps, it is 15Km shorter in the latter third)

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

Dossing down on the trail is the order of the day, I can deal with that.

postierich
    Free Member

skinny bike no problem!
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/umK4gU]11008430_10153468505131474_571881484846981016_n[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

sturider

[url=https://flic.kr/p/DrsTGR]2016 YD300 poster[/url] by Stuart Rider, on Flickr

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

I’m in!

IvanDobski
    Free Member

After a poor performance on last years I think I’ve got some unfinished business so on that basis…

I’m in.

Bugger.

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

Will you be completing it on Mr Hoppy?

boltonjon

Awesome event guys – totally brutal – nearly killed me

Bonkers

wadam00
    Free Member

It was our first go at bike packing, three of us set off hoping we could make it. We managed 150km by 02:30 & realised we would not make the time cut off that night – that meant a 60km ride back to the start…which was brutal!

Great event & we met loads of good people. Highlights were riding over fremington edge & down to langthwaite as night fell, dropping down gunnerside Gill in the pitch black (interesting!) & climbing up buttertubs at first light. Bring on the dales200…a tad more achievable we hope

whitestone
    Free Member

It’s a tough event to do as your first ITT/bikepacking trip, the new start makes getting to Dales Bike Centre for last cafe orders is hard work. I just made it and up to that point had just 32mins of stoppage time so that’s nine hours of riding.

Was on my own for most of Saturday but bivvied with three others at around the 180Km mark. One left a bit earlier than us other three and presumably was too early for the cafes as we never saw him again. The three of us finished just before 1600 on Sunday and middle of the pack – there were seven ahead of us and seven behind. Six riders had ridden through the night!

This year’s YD200 course is much more amenable (last year’s had a very tough section heading back from Barbon) so well worth a try. It’s also in August rather than October so should be more pleasant. It’s worth working out where the cafes/pubs/shops are along with a rough idea of your arrival times so you know when to push it and when to take it easy. Avoid faffing as well 😛 I averaged 12kmh which means every five minutes stopped I could be a kilometre closer to the finish.

wadam00
    Free Member

We took too much stuff and the effect on the bike handling was noticeable, think we lost a couple of hours over the day with this & coupled with dallying at the cafes this meant we were three hours behind and out of the running.

We are doing the 200 – packing light, buying food en-route and aiming to ride through to the finish…with maybe a short three hour kip if needed

boltonjon

Our first event of this nature and it was tough as hell but we finished on our totally overloaded fatbikes. We were the last of the finishers with a total time of 40.5 hours. We spent 20 hours in the saddle on Sunday covering 110 miles

It was utter hell throughout and the last 30 miles in the rain was epic, but we had a good laugh, went through some very dark times and took lots of pictures! The look on my face below clearly shows my happiness about the next mountain!!

[/url]301.2 by boltonjon, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]300.1 by boltonjon, on Flickr[/img]

cheeezzy24
    Free Member

Anyone have the gpx of this year’s 200 & 300? I may give it a go later in the year. Had a crack at last year’s 300 but I believe it’s changed slightly this year. Awesome place to ride! Thanks

whitestone
    Free Member

Go to the relevant pages on Stuart’s site: http://riderscyclecentre.com/yorkshiredales300/ & http://riderscyclecentre.com/yorkshiredales-200-thats-200kms/ and there’s links to gpsies which have the files for download.

Yes the 300 was different this year to last due to access issues above Grassington but he said that the current route was likely to be the permanent one.

@boltonjon Was yours the Dune?

boltonjon

No, i was on a Puffin and my mate was on an On-One Fatty.

We rode with the guy on the Dune for a while early on but never seen him again after the end of the first day

What were you riding Whitestone?

whitestone
    Free Member

I was on a (green) Cotic Solaris with rigid carbon forks. Did consider putting the B+ wheels on it but stuck with the XR2/XR1 29er combo

boltonjon

I remember you at the start

I spent most of the first day laughing at the nutters on the CX bikes – christ they were struggling with the DHs

I bet it was tough in places on a rigid 29er!

ChrisE
    Free Member

The route misses out some good bits and would be much better for a tiny amount of tweaking. For example at Cray it goes all down the road where there is in fact a superb grassy BW that dies the same but 300m East of the road.

Is there scope and a listening ear to tweak the route in time to change it? I live on the route and know every bit of it very, very well.

I intend to be there.

C

whitestone
    Free Member

I bet it was tough in places on a rigid 29er!

Only a couple – the descent of Friarfold Hush down to Gunnerside Gill and the set stones at the bottom of the drop from Whernside to Ribblehead. So maybe a total of 300m out of 300Km, not a huge amount really.

@ChrisE Drop Stuart a line, sure he’d listen. I wondered about the BW down from Cray as well. Also there’s a bit heading in to Hawes where it makes a short loop from the road which I’m not sure is a BW.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘2016 Yorkshire Dales 300. Take a look. I dare you :)’ is closed to new replies.