Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 401 total)
  • 2016 XC racing thread.
  • ferrals
    Free Member

See you there mate. The weather is a concern, raced there in May after overnight downpours and it was a grease fest, fell off a few times. I’ve got rons on in anticipation of some rain but have half a mind to switch to beavers depending on forecast as still had no grip with a ron on the front in may. If its relitively dry its my favourite course I’ve raced since getting back into bikes

The climbs are worse than Dalby!! Two proper climbs rather than one, and one is steep. Not sure what start loop we’ll be doing if any but basically start of lap is a long drag climb that kicks up at the end then singletrack back down with an a/b split. THe A is fine in the dry but I b-lined it in the wet. Then its a fireroad traverse before the next climb which isnt as bad as the first. Then its rooty and off-camber stuff back down, then (I think) a new section I’ve not ridden before some flattish singletrack to the finish

ferrals
    Free Member

Right done some stravanalysis:

At Dalby the climb was 400m at 14%..

At Forest Fields the first climb is 1km at average 10% with the last 100m being 17%

The second climb is 400m at 12%

Limber up those climbing legs!

edit. just checked the weather and is looking better again 🙂

everyone
    Free Member

Wish I hadn’t asked now to be honest!

ferrals
    Free Member

Its fine, they are fire road winches not technical climbs. Nothing as hard as that first bit of the climb out of worry gill just after the berm.

Had a look at total elevation climbed and theres not much difference in it over the course of the race, guess all those litle climbs at Dalby add up

everyone
    Free Member

Looks like the forecast has changed to rain over both days now. Probably going to be a moist one!

ferrals
    Free Member

Keeps changing and its doing my bloody nut in re. tyre choice. A mate up there said a fair bit of heavy rain yesterday afternoon, lots of puddles but under trees the ground is still firm. Depends when the heavy rain starts I guess.

To be(aver) or not to be(aver), that is the question.

everyone
    Free Member

The joys (and benefits) of having spare wheels! Well a spare rear at least…

I’ll be bringing the usual ron/ralph but then a spare beaver for the rear. TBH I’ve always found the ron pretty capable until it turns into full goop and ralphs always surprise me with what I can get away with!

Kryton57

Beaver front. 2.1 Ron rear is what I’d do.

ferrals
    Free Member

Not really thought of beaver front ron rear, outside of pure mud I find the ron more confidence inspiring on the front so tend to switch to double beaver if I’m switching.

Anyway good old met-office are currently saying dry so I’m planning on double ron for now. Will check in the evening.

Any other denizens of STW going to be at Fforest fields?

everyone
    Free Member

Currently at the site. Keeps raining on and off.

Course looks sketchy as fuark, lots of fireroad followed by steep loose rooty descents. The only xc course I’ve seen catch netting!

njee20
    Free Member

a few years ago Margam could’ve done with some catch netting, I rolled quite a way down an embankment. Damn my inability to turn left properly!

Beautiful in the Surrey Hills today, glad I didn’t drive 4 hours to get a kicking on a muddy course!

ferrals
    Free Member

That was hard. Long race for sport, 30km, think it’s normally between 20-25km. Lost one place in the last quarter lap and didn’t quite have the legs to chase, clawed back to within 10 yards before the last short singletrack bit but then my legs gave up. With the mud and the climbing took me over 2 1/4 hrs. Just like the Welsh rain made it slippery and lots more roots emerging over the course of the race. Enjoyed the new section.

Good tyre advice from Kryton, beaver front, Ron rear worked a treat, felt nicely confident and rode the whole course which is a step up from the Welsh champs a few weeks ago when I ran some of the descents because of the greasiness.

Good to see Everyoen briefly, shame about the gap till Cannock – although it gives me time to burn of the obscene amount of curry and cobra I’ve gorged on for recovery food!

ferrals
    Free Member

Just seen this vid on Facebook from the vets race. Looks worse than yesterday!
    Slippy-slidey

mick_r

Having watched that video glad we went to the Lakes and rode the Sam Houghton instead.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Lol @ that video, looks an utterly miserable way to spend a weekend.

iain65
    Free Member

I did the race this morning on the video, it was horrific – that was my team mate in the national champions jersey, if it can put him on his arse then something is not right!

The organisers did a good job on keeping it running but I do wonder if an alternative ‘poor weather’ course might be a good idea.

Out of the four of us riding I think we all crashed at least three times each, one dislocated a shoulder, I destroyed a front wheel when I put my foot through it as a guy rode into me, and another ripped his suspension lockout off.

I was really, really pleased to see the finish line!

Does anyone know if anyone got round without crashing?

padkinson
    Free Member

I think it got a bit better in the afternoon, that steep descent was fine, and I think I managed one lap without running. Unfortunately I also managed to launch myself off the trail with both feet unclipped, landing full force on the top tube with my arse, and near enough crushing it! Very annoying as I was in 4th (expert) at the time, and feeling strong.
    Beaver/Race King worked ok, but I was struggling for grip up that first climb.

ferrals
    Free Member

@iain65, they did actually modify the a line from Saturday practise before the sport race so they were doing their best. There is always the b-line which I what I was riding after crashing a lot racing there in similar conditions a month ago. I can’t imagine that got hard to ride, I suppose they could have closed the a-line.

Mind you, and admittedly I am technically deficient, even on Saturday I found all of the steeper descents difficult, I came so close to stacking on the first steeper bit of the descent off the fireroad towards the first a-line, lost front wheel traction, was zooming towards the crash netting at 90 degrees to the direction I should have been growing and the wheels bit and I yoinked it round with cm to spare, much to the amusement of the bloke behind.

Having raced there 4 times in the last 3years I think the course is getting increasingly tricky with more roots appearing especially on some of the steeper sections. I hope there’s another one next year and it’s dry! Feel like I have unfinished business with that course after being overly cautious on sat!

Long gap for me now until the final Welsh series and Cannock the week later. Not sure of my training strategy, I’m thinking two weeks of just base-ish long rides before an enforced rest week (hols) and then three weeks of high intensity before a taper. Not sure if that’s a good plan or if I should just stick to high intensity? Feel like my results have been getting worse, was a long way back off people I’d been beating in the other nationals on sat and didn’t have a good race my previous one a month ago so think I need to re-group!

iain65
    Free Member

Hi Padkinson, well done in managing to ride it – I had no chance! The first climb for us was okay from a grip perspective although the tackiness of the mud or Gravity was getting stronger as the race went on, not sure which!

iain65
    Free Member

Hi Ferrals, yeh, it was a great venue – just let down by the weather! I rode the B line on that first descent as it was jammed with bodies first time round but it was also unrideable – I thought it was just my poor skill level but everyone I spoke to at the finish said the same, it was just a longer walk!

I also rode on Saturday and while it was all okay to ride it was definitely not straight forward by any means. If you’ve got a gap in racing have a look at the next Midlands XC round as its close and a good venue.

ferrals
    Free Member

Been meaning to do some of the midlands xc for a while but that weekend doesnt work for me. I really really want to race Dudmaston as that looks great fun but its the same w/e as the last Welsh race which I’ll do instead.

If I race at all before then it’ll be the SW series in mid July.

iain65
    Free Member

The other one to look at if its not too far is the FNSS MTB series on a Friday night, it’s short racing (less than an hour), pretty intensive but good fun and very relaxed, they are on most Friday nights but more East Midlands based. Iain.

Kryton57

in consideration of a wet slippery short climbs based loop of a course, whats fastest:

29er with FS linkages but mounted with tubed Beavers, or a 26″ HT mounted with bonty mud X?

iain65
    Free Member

I used my Superfly HT with Mud x’s last weekend at Builth Wells rather than the FS Top Fuel with Ron’s on. Did the first lap on the Saturday on the HT and I just felt I had a bit more control (or less out of control!) in the slippy conditions.
    Although nothing really worked last weekend I was pleased with my choice of HT over FS but don’t think I would have done the same if the HT was on 26” wheels. In my simple world I think 29” wheels are worth about a mile an hour over 26” wheels so that is a lot to recover.
    If the course is smooth and not technical however you might have a slight advantage on the small size HT bike.
    Not sure if that’s any help or not!

rp16v
    Free Member

Did anyone take a good beastiong at bikefest on saterday?

john_l
    Free Member

Well, I crashed – if that’s what you mean 🙂

Was in 2nd place in vets & lost it on the quarry section, 3hrs into the 6hr & landed on my back. Trip to A&E & suspected cracked rib & vertebrae, which I think has just turned out to be heavy bruising. Sketchy as hell with all that rain. Fun in places though & great atmosphere, as usual.

rp16v
    Free Member

Ouch man glad your on the mend ok and nothing serious
    seems there was a few bad off thru the day from pushing hard in that rain
    managed to get first place mixed teams all involved are well chuffed weve been chasing that for 3 years

Kryton57
    ferrals
    Free Member

Nice one. How long till the q-factor paranoia sets in? 😆

Training dilemma for me:

I’m meant to be doing hard training weeks both last week and this week due to an enforced rest week next week. I managed to do a good week last week but have felt grotty yesterday and today, glands up, sore throat that looks inflamed, blocked nose, tight chest etc. etc..

According to my plan I should be doing a hard cople of hours of 5min hill climbs tonight: not sure whether to sack it off totally, go for it anyway or just go for a gentle spin. Normally I’d skip the session but as I know I’m not cycling at all next week I’m wary of two weeks off.

Thoughts? I’m possibly leaning towards a spin and working on some technical descending.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member
    So I finally committed to a race type thingy: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/vitus-bikes-rapide-29-hardtail-bike-2016/rp-prod135379

Have you test ridden one of those?

Kryton57

No why, are they crap?

barrykellett
    Free Member

I don’t know whether its the frame alone or a combination of frame plus stock wheels, but there is a lot of lateral flex in it for a race machine. I would imagine most – if not all of it is from the stock wheelset though given my experience of off the shelf XC 29er bikes.

It looks awesome in the flesh mind.

Kryton57

Oh you have one! Im informed by njee is the hong fu frame thats used by lots of people, and the Reba of course is well know so won’t be causing that.

Those wheels will be instantly replaced with my AC Race’s, also removing 500g’s off the bike weight (nearest wheel weight I could find was 650 + 1105g F&R)

It looks awesome in the flesh mind

Excellent!

adsh
    Free Member

The autist in me cannot be stopped from asking about your AC races which I thought were 1459g and would therefore save 341g?

Anyhoo enjoy your new HT! Looks a great spec for the money.

adsh
    Free Member

Ferrals – having screwed up my recovery and not done anything meaningful for weeks I can tell you anything other than a short period of z1 or z2 is very unwise. Sack it if you feel sh1t.

I think I kept 10 ctl points but lost an extra week.

Kryton57

Adsh – you are correct in my head I had 1250g. Even better value as I used the BC discount to get it to £1377. I was a bit impulsive but the more I think about it I’m buying into a better geo also, it should give me more confidence. I’m going to keep the Anthem for 24’s / social but save up for a 120mm Reba and appropriate headset to slacken it into a better all rounder (it currently 71 ha), with the Vitus being FRO. I’ll also be moving a Mt zoom carbon bar and kcnc stem from my 26er, quaxar rotors are on the AC’s already, probably will get a kcnc seat post, oval ring and I need the AC hub conversion as well. The list never ends!

Ferrals, what Adsh said. If you remember I went through 3 phases of chest infection from December ’14 to March ’15 becuase i didnt rest, you don’t want that.

ferrals
    Free Member

Yeah I didn’t bother doing anything, legs feel bad from Sunday still which is a sure sign I’m under the weather. Nothing too pressing coming up anyway.

Kryton57

FFS. I started well claiming second on the sprint start up Hog Hill (12%) onto the first grassy trail – then caught sight of riders on my inside, drift wide in case of contact when I should have held my line and slid part way down a grass bank. I then had a torrid next 2 laps with loud gasping breathing and chest hammering being passed by more riders, before I calmed on the third (slower) lap following a rider, which I then took and put 1:20 on in two laps to finish 11th. Weirdly, my last lap was only 3 secs slower than the first, but the middle two 20 seconds slower. But again I’m +1 laps and going backwards in performance.

Sigh.

I did manage to identify and said hello to ADSH, good to meet him at last.

bianchiboy
    Free Member

Hey Kryton 57,what class did you race in tonight? I’m in grand vets but only 7th tonight on my singlespeed Specialized after a 3rd in last weeks slop.

Kryton57

Vets here. I was the bloke in red charging up the hill left hand side on the start. 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 401 total)

The topic ‘2016 XC racing thread.’ is closed to new replies.