Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 401 total)
  • 2016 XC racing thread.
  • Kryton57

Hooray. After some doubts MSG is on for tomorrow, but with warnings about mud and clearing the rear mechs and prepare for a muddy spin fest.

I’m wondering whether to leave the 29 1 X 11 Anthem at home and take the 26″ 2x 10 HT (which coincidentally already has Bonty Muds on) to avoid the back end clogging up…?

How much is the 29 v 26 advantage reduce in these conditions ? 😀

ferrals
    Free Member

Good luck for tomorrow Kryton. Can’t help with the wheelsize bar to point out of its that muddy and claggy the weight increase of mud on the 29er wheels will be more than the 26in.

I’m spitting as I seem to be coming down with something, struggled with my training on Thursday, felt rank and fatigued yesterday and not right today. Think I’m going to go with discretion and not ride today, figure what benefits training would have would be destroyed if I’m actually ill next w.e. So annoyed, especially as have to compete all the Welsh series for a series ranking, which is my main aim for the year so even if I’m stinking I’m going to race. Not to mention non refundable b&b already booked.

windyg
    Free Member

Kryton wheel size won’t make too much difference staying upright will 😀
    Last time I raced my Anthem in bad mud I ended up with over 2kg of mud jammed in the rear triangle, last lap was tough. I’ll be taking a spare front wheel with a Gato on.
    Not looking forward to it to be honest.

Kryton57

Yes that happened to me at MSG last year.

Defo the 26er then, need to change the fork this afternoon – 120 Reba to 100 Sid for correct Geo. As windy g says, plodding around upright will be the order of their day, there won’t be a lot of momentum to be carried with wagon wheels.

Wally

I am as weak as a kitten with a two week old cold and taking the 29er with mudx and a SS steel mudplugger. I remember a MSG at hylands Park, nothing can be as wet and muddy as that, can it?

Kryton57

You know that feeling when you pull the other bike out from the back of the man cave, and the rear brake lever goes back to the bar…

Jonny5
    Free Member

Went to put on some mud tires on my bike for tomorrows MSG race and realized I no longer have them Doh! Tempted to take the single speed now, as I do have some mud tires for it.

Wally

Jonny5 – MSG lived up to it’s name.
    Ace day and fantastic organisation, really nice atmosphere. Thank you to organisers.

I have never experienced such sticky mud before, 2.0 Mud-X looked like fat tyres. Came off on the drop like a sack of potatoes.

Jonny5
    Free Member

Yep that was a slog. Even with the improved clearance on my single speed the rear wheel was still an issue. I spent most of the last 2 climbs of the lap pulling mud out so it would rotate.

windyg
    Free Member

MSG for me – Gutted, was running a pretty safe 5th place with no one close behind and then my rear mech hanger snapped on the last lap, I had to run over half the lap and came in 27th.

Kryton57

Thats was hard. Even with the HT I had to stop and clear the Plasticine like mud from the wheels/frame every lap.

On top of that I was generally rubbish, no excuses just rubbish hence – 33rd. 🙁

Wally

I saw snapped belt drives, snapped mechs, several snapped chains and lots of rear wheels not turning as you exit the woods and walk up. I was in top 20 and started at the back of the easier “Open male”. Lots of Benny Hill Music moments on the first descent down to the woods and general silliness at the back.

The wild garlic smell was pungent.

ac282

I did the msg. I ended up stopping each lap to unclog my anthem.

It didn’t make any difference to my result though. Richard was going to win whatever I was riding.

padkinson
    Free Member

I did the MSG too, I’m pretty disappointed with the result really. I had quite a few problems with clogging and the rear wheel filling up with mud, but that’s no excuse really, I just didn’t seem to be able to match the pace of the leaders in the mud. More work needed.

iain65
    Free Member

Anyone doing the first Midlands round at Sherwood Pines this weekend? I’m in the GV class at 10.30am.
    Iain.

schmiken

Aye, Expert class for me at Sherwood.

everyone
    Free Member

Yep sport at Sherwood for me.

Hoping for a dry(ish) one but planning for a slopfest.

ferrals
    Free Member

My feelings for the first round of the welsh series too.. getting overely hung up on tyre choice, don’t really want to use mud tyres if I can get away with just rons. At least the weather forecast is, touch wood, dry from now till sunday

adsh
    Free Member

Hardly an XC race but I’m looking forward to my first outing at this Sunday’s Wentwood 50.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

ferrals – Member
    My feelings for the first round of the welsh series too.. getting overely hung up on tyre choice, don’t really want to use mud tyres if I can get away with just rons. At least the weather forecast is, touch wood, dry from now till sunday

I’m up at Degla tonight, so I’ll have a quick look at the off piste.
    It did chuck it down over night and this morning, so I have to admit I’m not massively hopeful.

ferrals
    Free Member

Nice one Adam. Got a few days for it to drain though haven’t we – or doesn’t it drain that quick.

What cat. are you going to be racing in – I’m doing sport.

adsh – Member

Hardly an XC race but I’m looking forward to my first outing at this Sunday’s Wentwood 50

I really like the look of that and would have done it if a) it didnt sell out before i realized and b) it didnt clash with the xc race (so in fact it was fortuitous i never got an entry in).

Kryton57

I’m doing sport.

That’s just cheating. I’d have claim a top 5 spot and a gazillion Regional A BC points if’d have swapped Vets for Sport on Sunday.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

I’m in Vets. Which are in with the elites at this race. Awesome.

ferrals
    Free Member

@ Kryton Its not cheating, I’m not a vet yet!

I am hoping to get some BC points though as I didn’t have a real license last year and don’t want to be gridded absolutely last in the first national

@ Adam, from the post I got the impression that juniors would be set off, then sport, vet and grand vet, and then elite and expert in three different waves. Althouigh it would make most sense for the elites and experts to go first.

Kryton57

Ah sorry, your outside the Stw demographic i didn’t realise 😉

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

No way can they be thinking of setting expert/elite off last – it’ll be first lap carnage!

rsvktm

Another one for Vets at Sherwood, first race of the season and not doing the full series so a bit of a try out before Nutcrackers. See if winter prep been enough or blow up on the first lap !
    Good luck all and hope it dries out.

ferrals
    Free Member

I had another look Adam and it’s been done in ascending price order on the poster, not time of race. I did think it was a weird one.

longstuff
    Free Member

As regards to the Sherwood xc this weekend, I’m 41 this year, never raced xc, what class would be a good start, open or vets?

Kryton57

good start, open or vets?

Depends on how you manage your ego :wink:. Vets is one of the hardest categories – all the buggers in there are fit, strong, experienced riders who didn’t make/are too old for Elites.

See my post earlier today – I was 33rd in Vets in a Regional A last weekend, my time would have had me 5th in Sport in the same race.

phinbob

Late to the party but here are mine:-

14/5 Stottlemeyer 30 (Port Gamble WA)
    27/8 Capitol Forest 50 (Olympia WA)
    17/9 Just Another Bike Race (Squamish BC)

I might sprinkle some local XC races in there too, but these are the main ones.

Aiming to finish and maybe not come last…

bennyboy1
    Free Member

I had plans for returning to the Southern XC Series this year after finishing 5th in my category previously, however, 2 weeks of riding my new road bike has left me with some sort of knee tendinitis so Southern Round 1 in 10 days is sadly looking iffy. :-~

Best of luck to everyone racing this year.

steve_b77
    Free Member

It’s just gonna be filthy slippy mess followed by ooh fire road then slippy filthy mess and repeat to end on Sunday in Llandegla

adsh
    Free Member

Vets is one of the hardest categories – all the buggers in there are fit, strong, experienced riders who didn’t make/are too old for Elites

Ha you should try Grand Vets – a considerable number of ex elites

sefton
    Free Member

Yep racing sports cat

Kryton57

Ha you should try Grand Vets – a considerable number of ex elites

Only another 6 years to go… 😐

sirromj

Depends on how you manage your ego :wink:. Vets is one of the hardest categories – all the buggers in there are fit, strong, experienced riders who didn’t make/are too old for Elites.

Have to say, I pedalled my ass off at the Gorrick Spring Series in February, in the vets cat, and was quite pleased with the effort I put in so hearing the result was a bit of a disappointment. There was something like 5 minutes between my result and 15th, ten places or so, so hoping to get a better result this w/e – but won’t be holding my breath (obviously, that would be ludicrous).

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

ferrals – Member
    Nice one Adam. Got a few days for it to drain though haven’t we – or doesn’t it drain that quick.

Based on tonight, bring a fatbike or a boat. Or possibly an AT-AT. Or a tank.
    Any of these will probably help.

iain65
    Free Member

Oh dear Adam, that does not sound good, I’d better put the mud tyres in! Going up Saturday so will update then if it’s dried out at all.

jimster01

I was thinking of doing a couple of rounds of this series I came across by accident – http://www.runandride.co.uk/content/2016-wm-series-brought-to-by-mayer-events-malvern-cycle-sport.aspx – but after the acopolypse of the last twenty four hours,I dread to think what Eastnor would be like now. 😐

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 401 total)

The topic ‘2016 XC racing thread.’ is closed to new replies.