Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 171 total)
  • 2016 Which lights!
  • jmatlock
    Free Member

Kamakazie, where you not tempted for the XP3 for another 20 quid? I think the XP2 is the nicer looking unit to be fair.

I am waiting on a very special delivery from MTB batteries this week. very excited.

mark90
    Free Member

ebay for torchy’s lights….

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/big_f_d_d/m.html?_trksid=p3692

not a lot of stock showing at the moment

Kamakazie

Thanks Mark.

Jmatlock:
    It’s for a helmet mount so size and weight is as much a consideration as our power. 4 hours at full 1500 lumen for the XP2 looked pretty spot on.

If I feel like need more power I’d be looking for a second light for the bars anyhow.

jmatlock
    Free Member

KAM, XP3 on the bars would be a hell of a set up! For much less than the price of an Exposure!

Very keen to hear your thoughts on the XP2.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

jmatlock – Member

Brightbikelights.com is the UK stockist of Ituo lights. They have XP2 and XP3 in stock.

Thanks for the info. I just ordered a Wiz1 from Bright Bike Lights.

jam-bo

replacement light on its way from ison.

mark90
    Free Member

My Lumenator arrived today. Top service. Light looks good and passed the garden test.

Was getting a bit of shadow from my untidy cables with it on the bars and being off center was setting off my OCD. So luckily I had a love mud stem cap bottle mount from Alpkit…

Seems well solid, yet to try it off road but it’s designed to hold a full bottle so should be ok.

jmatlock
    Free Member

That’s the brand new Lumenator.. All black V.2 model. Can you post a pic of the battery pack?

I have one on the way with custom length cables. Very excited.

mark90
    Free Member

It’s the standard old 6 cell battery pack. I think Smudge is out of the old silver fronted head units so is shipping the new all black head units (I think that is the only difference with the head unit) with the old 6 cell battery packs till they have gone / the new 4 cell ones are in. I expect that is when the discounted price will end. Maybe.

skooby39
    Free Member

How do the Torchy lights compare to the Yinding (Gemini Duo clone) which I am using at the moment? The Torchy lights appear to have 6 LEDs for the same output, which I suspect works out less heat/power use, but are any a decent step up in brightness?

Same question if anyone knows regarding a ultrafire 502b torch with xp-l led?

Just wondering if there are some good updates this year which noticeably improve power or provide more ‘flood’?

mark90
    Free Member

Lumenator 17 now on sale (pre-orders) and still at the offer price….

http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/mountain-bike-lights/lumenator-17/

I should have waited a week before ordering and got the new 4 cell battery pack, though I would have missed out on a night ride.

jmatlock
    Free Member

I took delivery of my Lumenator 17 with the new 4 cell at the weekend. Had smudge alter the cable lengths too to allow for a neater install.

Its an awesome bit of kit.

jmatlock
    Free Member

I have 3 spare 3D printed mounts to attach a solar storm to a go pro mount. It replaces the plastic mount on the bottom of the light unit. Drop me an email if anyone needs one.

Kamakazie

Had my first outing with the Ituo XP2 at Tide2Tide and was really impressed with the unit.
    To be fair, the trails weren’t the most technical but I found I had plenty of light on full power.
    Run times are supposed to be good, though this wasn’t a good test for that as only a few laps were in the dark.

I think I’d want a second light of similar power if I were going full bore on a more technical trail, but for general nigh riding it seems a good compromise of size, weight & runtime.

Build quality seems excellent and the helmet mount is particularly good. It comfortably took the weight of my GoPro and means I don;t have to swap mounts around all the time.

Happy to post some up-close pics of the unit if people want them but there are a few around already such as on MTBR.
    I think I’ll end up getting an Ituo Wiz20 as my bar light based on these.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I got a Wiz20 recently and a very impressive light it is too. With the standard 10 degree optics the beam has a tight central spot which is not ideal for off-road in my opinion. Users on MTBR recommend fitting the 25 degree optics from LEDDNA so I have some of those on order and will post back when they arrive.

Overall though the quality of the buld is right up there with Exposure and the interface has two modes with 3 levels and 2 levels and you can configure any of the light levels in 10% increments between 0-1500 lumens. It also have four special flashing modes which you can select one of for each mode.

thedude
    Free Member

C & B seen have been great for me. I think I saw one on eBay if anyone looking.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’m still running a Solarstorm X2 on my road bike, mated to a TTBB battery pack, which is great.

I would like something to run on my helmet though, without a battery pack as I don’t want to have to store it anywhere.

In an ideal world i’d buy something like an Exposure Axis, as the simplicity & mount is lovely & tidy, but i’m wondering if I can achieve the same with other options? I know TTBB does the Fluxient, but they use the hideous mounts, sadly they don’t seem to be compatible with the Exposure mounts either.

Is there anything else out there for maybe £50 in the budget? Or am I going to have to suck it up & buy an Exposure?

swoosh
    Free Member
    swoosh
    Free Member

fifeandy – Member
    A bit of digging finally found fluxient’s website.
    The U2 mini is indeed run at a lower current for a claimed output of 600lm.
    http://www.fluxient.cn/products_index.asp

I emailed torchy about this and he said it was a 1100 lumen rated led but only driven to provide half the power and is much most like 500 actual lumens.

jeffl

Swoosh – it’s a version of it. I think it’s fair to say that mtb batteries take Chinese built units but add good QC, warranty, support, charges that won’t set your house on fire and good batteries to the package. This is the real deal http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/mountain-bike-lights/lumenator-17/

Alex

I’m just back from my first proper ‘all dark’ night ride with my Mk 9 Maxx-D and my two year old Diablo on the helmet. It’s a brilliant – if expensive – combo. The reflex stuff seems to work on the Maxx-D and having the burn times in the display is really useful.

Coming from a 4 year old Lumi XPG, the difference really is night and day. And the whole no cable thing really works for me.

benp1

U2 mini is a very good little light. Nausea inducing flash, but good on solid. Can carry a spare battery for it too

It was my bar light when I started night riding

StirlingCrispin

Swoosh – the Lumenator 17 is the new Lumenator.

New stock hopefully being shipped in the next few days.

My Lumenator is 4 years old and was flawless. Recently got damaged in a crash and Smudge said to send it back for him to look at. That’s customer service for you.

Have also pulled the trigger on a new Lumenator 17.

swoosh
    Free Member

jeffl – Member
    Swoosh – it’s a version of it. I think it’s fair to say that mtb batteries take Chinese built units but add good QC, warranty, support, charges that won’t set your house on fire and good batteries to the package.

I already have a decent battery and charger so only need the head unit. This is from a uk seller so warranty shouldn’t be an issue either.

StirlingCrispin

Swoosh – you can buy stand-alone head units too.

Just let Smudge/Mark know the battery / connector type so he can match the lamp unit.

takisawa2

Is THIS Torchy’s Ebay page ?

goyawave
    Free Member

I’m waiting for my Exposure lights to turn up which i bought using the Cycle to Work scheme! You can buy accessories only.

swoosh
    Free Member

takisawa2 – Member
    Is THIS Torchy’s Ebay page ?

Yes that’s the page.

ajf
    Free Member

thinking of a torchy bk thr33 light for the bars and for a head torch for fell running. The separate battery pack is actually appealing for that as it can be placed in a bum bag instead of having the weight on the head.

Has anyone used that light as a head torch? Can you let me know how bulky it is (it looks small?) How does it compare size and weight wise to say a hope vision 2?

fingerbang
    Free Member

hi, re Amazon lights. I want to get some new lights but just have about £250 amazon voucher. Can anyone give me a best buy from Amazon? I’ve just checked and all we have that I recognise is the magicshine mj 872 or mj 880 or a gloworm x1

I want a handlebar mounted, easy to use, bright muddaf>>a

??

craig24
    Free Member

If I wanted to buy a lamp only (no battery, charger) for a bar light, what would you recommend out of –

Torchy BK 7even
    Nitefigher BT40s
    Lumenator 17

All are they all much of a muchness?

antcole
    Free Member

I’ve been using cheap 1000 lumen lights direct from China, but just bought an ITUO Wiz20 and an ITUO XP3. The difference in quality and usability is amazing and I’m massively pleased with these two. The Wiz20 has self contained batteries and I’m using this bar mounted – the XP3 is a superb helmet light but could be as easily bar mounted. I decided on these two as they were both reviewed and received a Singletrack ‘Recommended’.

http://singletrackworld.com/reviews/review-ituo-wiz-xp3-light/

http://singletrackworld.com/reviews/review-ituo-wiz20/

I’ve used them three times so far and no issues and some great rides.

ulysse
    Free Member

Solarstorm x2 clones, i’m currently testing with my Imax B6 charger, a set of old Makita & dewalt 18v tool battery sourced 18650’s and grouping them in to closely matched sets, Im hoping for a 2s3p (6 cells) at 2250 mha per cell, a 2s2p 4cell for back up of similar capacity, and a 2s 2 cell in series that are looking to come out at 2238mha each for possible helmet mounting

One of these is also currently winging its way from China as i type

http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_71061.html

iainc

I have a spare, as new, Exposure Joystick Mk10, bought new from Wiggle last September, which will be going on the classifieds end of the week…..email in profile … 🙂

banksy
    Free Member

I am very impressed with an ITUO WIZ20 – the light is compact with internal batteries and easily bright enough (1500 lumens) for anything our local trails can throw at us. It feels top class and is a great bar mounted light. A helmet light would top it off nicely. I’m thinking of buying another ITUO light – they do a Wiz2 which looks like it will the job really nicely. ITUO seem to be on their way to establishing a reputation for producing top lights – has anyone else used any of them ?.

iainc

^^^ interesting first post…. Are you ITUO light seller then ?

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

This…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282168455346

…might be the way to solve the ‘where do I place the batteries for my solar storm helmet-mounted light’

I’ve got the lezyne macro duo from a wmb subs offer, but I prefer to keep that for road duties because of the flashing rear light.

So the solar storm on the helmet to complement the bikeray4.

My battery mount hasn’t arrived from ebay yet, but it looks about the right size for a small magicshine battery.

I’ll report back.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’m waiting for my Exposure lights to turn up which i bought using the Cycle to Work scheme! You can buy accessories only

Yep same here – should have my Strada 1200 in a weeks time..
    I’ve only just wised up to the fact you can buy accessories only.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

banksy – Member

I am very impressed with an ITUO WIZ20 – the light is compact with internal batteries and easily bright enough (1500 lumens) for anything our local trails can throw at us. It feels top class and is a great bar mounted light. A helmet light would top it off nicely. I’m thinking of buying another ITUO light – they do a Wiz2 which looks like it will the job really nicely. ITUO seem to be on their way to establishing a reputation for producing top lights – has anyone else used any of them ?.

I had the Wiz1 which is basically the same light as the Wiz2 but with a larger battery. I was only ever intending to use it as a bar light but didn’t like the spot beam for this purpose so swapped it for a Wiz20 which as you say is a great bar light.

The Wiz2 will probably make a better helmet light if you like that sort of self-contained, Exposure Joystick type of light, on top of your helmet. Ituo lights certainly do seem to be very good quality for the money as well.

iainc

An update on Exposure Joysticks – I today got a new MK11 and on first trial in the garden it appears to be back to the spot beam pattern of old, which for me is ideal, as used on lid with a MaxxD on bars.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘2016 Which lights!’ is closed to new replies.