Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • 2016 Velothon Wales
  • JackHammer

Just read an article on WalesOnline, the local communities seem so against it.

So who’s entered this year?

Who entered last year as well? Was it really as badly organised as the article suggests?

NigE5
    Free Member

I did it last year, driving over from the SE England it worked out expensive. Great atmosphere out on the road. Nice to ride on closed roads but the route was boring after the Tumble, long stretches of dull duel carriageway it seemed like a event looking for a couple of long climbs.
    Looking at a map of the area there are not that many options for the organizers.
    Not doing it again, trying the Wiggle French Revolution in a few weeks

shedbrewed
    Free Member

As someone who lives along the route there have been plenty of mailers and signs placed up well in advance. There are always moaners and some of the complaints are rather fantastic and far-fetched; trapped in homes etc. It’s almost as if people have forgotten that Sunday trading is only a recent event and have completely forgotten about being able to walk.
    Good luck to those doing it.

pedroball
    Free Member

It was badly done last year, and anecdotally, it isn’t great this year either. I think the thing that doesn’t sit well is that it’s being done for profit by the organizers, rather than a community based/charity event. I don’t have an issue with commercial ventures, but it has to be organized better if it is going to be over 140k of local roads.

I did it last year and enjoyed it, although it felt a bit kammikazi with people not used to group riding getting carried away with the closed roads, cutting corners, etc. If it was cheaper, I might consider it, but I’d rather do an audax or just a long ride in the proper Welsh hills rather than on the main roads and dual carriageways.

mike_p
    Free Member

I’m doing it with three mates, we all did the Dragon Ride GF last year so the Velothon ought to be no big deal by comparison. TBH the main attraction is some fast riding on closed roads (at least until I get dropped on the Tumble, or some inbred nimby throws down the drawing pins!), and a couple of lads nights out in Cardiff

mooman
    Free Member

I rode it (unofficially) last year. As a local; the route is pretty naff. There are so many other options that could have included a lot more scenic, and better route options. As said – lots of boring roads.
    I guess by starting in Cardiff they limited themselves somewhat to road closures.

I hear the start and feed stations were horrendous, but out on the road things seemed fine enough.

The local anger towards it last year was because they did not inform locals about the road closures; lots found themselves unable to get out in car.

I will (unofficially) ride it again. Then again; if forecast is right … I may not. The thought of descending fast wet roads with thousands of squirrels kinda scares me some!!

Linky

houndlegs
    Free Member

What time would people be expected to arrive at the Tumble? Weather permitting I may have a bimble over there and have a looksy.

hambl90
    Free Member

Was very frustrating for local people last year, it seemed like the organisers had not given any thought to people trying to go about their daily business. I personally was trying to go to work for a night shift and every alternative route I tried I was faced with closed roads . A 35 min commute turned into 2 hrs of frustration , luckily I’m not on shift this year.

SaxonRider

I was one who was unable even to cross a street on foot, never mind by car. It was very disruptive, I think due to the fact that in some areas, the main roads *and* some of the alternatives are blocked.

molgrips
    Free Member

It was literally carnage last year, must’ve seen half a dozen broken collarbones and one serious crash. Riding standard was poor, spent most of the time on edge watching out for other riders.

taxi25
    Free Member

I did it last year and it was great, not sure what problem people had with the organisation but it went off fine as far as I could see. The route is what it is, everyone’s got an opinion, but it’ll always be a compromise trying not to cause to much disruption and creating an enjoyable route.
    With regards to people driving, my brother in law is whining again that he can’t get his car out of the road to get to work. I told him to park it 600yds away the evening before and he’ll have no problem. His attitude is why should he have to !!! So **** him and all the other moaners 😀

milky1980
    Free Member

The problem last year was partly poor alternative traffic route planning and the fact that so little info was handed out prior to it. My work knew about it but could not get any info about road closures until two days beforehand, so delivery vans going out and staff starting shifts had no idea how to get around the closures! We’ve been able to get 0 information this year too. All we know is the route but as it completely encircles our depot we’re resigned to being cut off for the day again. To be fair we had the same problem when the half marathon was in town too, so it’s not just bikes causing problems! Whatever the problems though, nothing justifies the tack-attacks last year, hopefully that won’t be repeated.

Will most likely wander out to watch the riders coming back (weather depending) so good luck to all the riders 🙂

mattsccm
    Free Member

I feel that this is the best example of how to get peoples back up against cyclists. Come Monday there will be a lots of annoyed people out there. Sad but true.
    Its unnecessary and pointless. Not a single local resident should sacrifice money for the pleasure of others let alone the profit of others. If it was a charity event, as mentioned, then sympathy would be greater.
    I for one would not be impressed at having to park my car away from the security of my home for the benefit of outsiders. I am sure that hotels in Cardiff will gain but what about the Sunday lunch pubs that lose. Probably more in need of the cash that Travelodge.
    Sadly things are not helped by the attitude of riders with a holier than thou attitude as if they have some moral right to satisfy their need for pleasure at the expense of local peoples need.
    I do see a good thing to it though. Closed roads at least keeps the dimwits who ride these events safe from them selves instead of riding in great long columns or 6 abreast. The fact that they can’t even stick out a hand when turning worries me as I have to assume they need 2 to steer the bike.
    Emjoy it if you ride but please do bear in mind that your pleasure has come at someone’s expence, don’t drop your gel wrappings ( the number I picked up after the Wildboar chase is not good)show some respect when you do meet the non riding public.

moonboy
    Free Member

I’m doing it. First time, riding with some pals I don’t get see so often since they moved. Was looking forward to it, kind of still am after reading this. Weather looks, umm, interesting.

What’s the STW secret handshake? I’ll be on a very blue Planet X so do say hi.

gwaelod
    Free Member

I did it last year – it was ok – but thousands of riders made it a bit sketchy in places. Better if theyd started smaller and built it up a bit I reckon. Pro Race going through in afternoon as well.

Its South Wales valleys people moan there constantly about everything, it’s just something new to moan about. If someone from Ebbw Vale found a fiver in the street he’d complain it wasn’t a tenner – same all across South Wales. (I’m South Walian born and bred btw)

ctk
    Free Member

First sportive for me, have I picked a bad un? 😆

Lol at gwaelod. (south walian born and bred and match your description)

litespeedti
    Free Member

IMHO it’s a boring route the valleys have a lot better riding than this. And £65.00 for the privilege. 🙄 ❓

innit_gareth
    Free Member

Did it last year and doing it again this year.

Closed roads make it a very enjoyable ride and is more than worth it even if you aren’t riding ‘the best roads’ in the area.

Last year there were lots of moaners – however there were also lots of locals behind it and some great support on the route.

gwaelod
    Free Member

First sportive for me, have I picked a bad un?

Notice my first instinct was to moan about how popular it was 😉

Closed roads – that bit was very very nice and a novelty for me, plenty of people in villages out cheering too which was lovely.

I found base of the climbs at Tumble and ‘Filthy mtn a bit annoying due to hordes of riders weaving about or just getting off and walking in middle of road.

Ride right at the front 😉

There are a few other valleys sportives now – Iron Mountain, Valleys Velo to name a few as well as Dragon ride. Dunno if Dragon is still closed roads though – stopped doing it when it shifted to Margam Park start.

Easy enough to ride out from Cardiff early any sunday morning and knock off a good few Valleys climbs though without doing a sportive, so maybe I’m spoiled.

mike_p
    Free Member

The only closed bit on last year’s Dragon was the single track road that leads up the valley to the Devils Elbow climb, which ironically (and perhaps fortunately!) was the only place I saw a crash.

I’m looking forward to this one, not done a closed road event since the first Ride London in 2013 when the pace was remarkably quick. Not got such an early start this time though, I’m off at 07.48.

ctk
    Free Member

There’s 18000 people doing it and a pro race, I think that is good use of the closed roads. I’m cycling in from Barry and setting off at 7.36. Its forecast rain but it was forecast rain today and the sun is beating down.

molgrips
    Free Member

Pace was quick at the start of last year due to westerly winds, which I think you’ll have on Sunday. Just beware a) on Wentloog flats, there are a series of right angle bends that people will take a racing line on and cut you up b) on the bits after you leave the A48 by the velodrome and go through housing estates to join up with the steelworks road. Lots of corners and street furniture there.

milky1980
    Free Member

Loads of groups of riders charging round Cardiff already, making the most of the sunshine I presume :D.

Only the buses seem to be getting annoyed though as their usually emptylanes are full of MAMILS…

gearfreak
    Free Member

I’m going to stick the daughter in the trailer and ride over to Caerphilly – the roads will be nice n quiet as no once can drive through Caerphilly. Then I’m going to sit at the bottom of the mountain and cheer people on sat in the pop up cafe that one entrepreneurial local business is setting up for the day.

houndlegs
    Free Member

How did this go for everyone then? I rode to Crumlin and watched for half hour there, then down to Newbridge and watched a bit more, went for a ride over to Pontllanfraith and watched them go up the dual carriageway, back to Crumlin, bite to eat, then watched the Pros come through.
    Thouroughly enjoyed the day, seemed plenty of good local support, lot of angry drivers being turned away cos of the road closures though, and a couple who lost the plot and had a bit of a meltdown.

scud
    Free Member

I rode this last year and felt really let down, having done some brilliant Welsh road events like the Dragon Devil and Etape Cymru, which were well selected routes designed to show the best of the Welsh scenery, apart from around the Tumble, the Velothon seemed to shy away from any rural real roads and anywhere scenic to take you down a load of dual carriageways. Fun going up and down the Tumble but that was it.

Shame really as Etape Cymru was closed roads (Aware it is other end of Wales) due to low numbers, but it was much better event, and there is so much great riding in South Wales, that it seemed a waste. I guess the route had to allow the large numbers taking part, and also be good for pro’s race.

ade9933
    Free Member

Entered last year but opted for the Dragon GF instead as they were 1 weekend after each other.

Having done RideLondon with 20000 idiots who rode like they had never seen a road previously (never mind a road bike) last year and getting knocked off 1/2 way through I’m glad I decided to go for the Dragon ride. It was a great route, not too crowded, epic scenery, fast pace. A real stunner.

If I do RL again I would jump the queue and start right at the beginning.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Completely passed me by this year despite it running almost past my house – I way home with the Kids.

Mrs. Jay had to get a special pass to get through some of the road blocks (District Nurse) but reported no problems and didn’t have to get in the way of any bikes.

Saw quite a few tired and sore looking Roadies milling about in North Cardiff in the evening trying to ride home after the event, I really felt for them, they were clearly spent and just wanted to get home, I hate that feeling.

molgrips
    Free Member

to take you down a load of dual carriageways

They did that so they could close only one carriageway and leave the other one open with contraflow – thereby not stranding quite so many people.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

If I do RL again I would jump the queue and start right at the beginning.

Being up the front can be slightly safer than mid pack with the weekend warriors, but there isn’t a huge amount in it. The front is all Cat 2/3 racers, and while most of them do know how to ride in a group, they’re going at pretty much race pace at very close quarters in much bigger groups than you’d get in a typical road race. Only takes one or two mistakes for some big consequences.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘2016 Velothon Wales’ is closed to new replies.