• This topic has 499 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jb89.
Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 500 total)
  • 2016 TT'ing thread
  • Kryton57

And I’m back! Midweek MTB is finished so I’ll have a bash at Hillimgdon again, starting on the 13th with my new 50’s. I’m looking forward to it in an odd way.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I’m getting back on the TT bike for the first time in a month tonight. I’ve been on holiday and am currently having a break between jobs which means I’m more inclined to go out for a long ride on the roadie than I am to do an evening TT. But we’ve got a couple of club championship races in the next couple of weeks so I want another ride on the TT bike before then to remind me what I’m meant to be doing!

I’m not sure that the 75 miles I did yesterday will help overly much, but we’ll see!

matts
    Free Member

Got another road bike club 10 tonight. My training schedule has been completely screwed-up this week so I’m tempted to go 95% and then do it again after as a 2×20. Not sure I have the self control not to go for it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Lots of racing, 20.40 on the F11 in the Hemel Event, 41s PB!

Argh that was one of my big target races this year before it all went to sh*t. Nice work there though… exactly the same time as my F11/10 PB from last year!

so I’m tempted to go 95%

If you have a number pinned to your back only full gas will do 🙂

hjghg5
    Free Member

Tonight went surprisingly well. Fastest ride of the year by a long way, and an all time pb on that course by 4 seconds. So far this year I hadn’t got close to last year’s times but the miles I’ve put in on the bike over the last four weeks seem to have really helped 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice work hjghg5.

Went better than expected here too after my catastrophising earlier in the week. A respectable 3rd at the North Hampshire club event on H10/1 (1st vet I think) behind a couple of good riders. Down a fair bit on power and ability to handle with the unpleasantness of effort, need more racing.

matts
    Free Member

Fastest ride of the year by a long way, and an all time pb on that course by 4 seconds.

Nice one. Don’t know about you, but conditions for our TT were pretty much perfect this evening. Wind was a bit blustery when I rode out, but it died down a fair bit before the start.

If you have a number pinned to your back only full gas will do

True dat. I went full gas. Did 343W / 4.54W/Kg for a 20:36 and 1st place..

8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8)

Quite chuffed as all the fast guys showed tonight. Obviously being on a road bike and rolling course was a bit of a leveller. I don’t own a TT bike, so they crucify me on fast DC course times. I didn’t even wear my skinsuit this week!

Just for kicks, I did do it again afterwards for my 2×20 workout. Did a 22:06.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Blimey that’s puzzlingly rapid for that power and weight on a rolling course on a road bike (assume clip on’s at least!)

For comparison, last year I went a 4 seconds slower than that off 335W (and a fair few less kg) on a full TT setup on a fast dual carriageway F11/10 on a reasonably decent day. And my CdA isn’t that bad.

matts
    Free Member

Picture from tonight. Taken on a bit of a rise near the end so I wasn’t in full aero bar-chewing mode.

matts
    Free Member

Blimey that’s puzzlingly rapid

It’s only 9 miles. So that explains why it’s ‘fast’. 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ah ok 🙂 Still superb effort.

matts
    Free Member

The guy who did a 19:27 on the E2/10 off 360W a couple of weeks back did 21:10 @ 373W tonight. And he was wearing his Bambino!

hjghg5
    Free Member

It was a bit windier than I’d have liked but it was from a vaguely helpful direction so not too bad. The last stretch was a minute slower than I’ve done it in the past but the start was blisteringly fast for that course.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Maybe all is not lost here. 3rd today in the Reading CC open on H25/1. A 25 PB, only a minute behind the winner, and a tenner richer! Down on power from earlier in the year but some position tweaks are working well. Tough blustery day too. Pleased with that 🙂

Good luck to anyone doing the WLCA 50 tomorrow.

matts
    Free Member

Nice one. 😀

All good data for getting your season back on track.

Certainly blowing a gale round here today.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Bit spammy so apologies – but selling my Flo90 if anyone wants to buy some speed.

Very good condition, anodising only partially worn through on the brake track.

Tyre not included, but could probably work something out with a Veloflex Record and latex tube if you needed.

Collection from London or Farnham very much preferred, but I’ll consider posting. £250

Kryton57

What an excellent night. Despite being chopped on a corner, a blustery night, and riding -10% of FTP (so I know theres more to go) I’ve just removed 1:07 to post a PB time of 26:14 at Hillingdon (road bike with clip ons).

Hurty legs on laps 9 &10 and double vision smashing the final 1/2 lap – brilliant! Has to sit down for a couple of mins once over the line.

mrblobby
    Free Member

A comedy ride on Saturday. Oxonian CC open on H10/17R. Pretty breezy but turned out to be a quick day… for some! Got tangled up in traffic at the first roundabout and had to come to a stop. Then when I set off my chain somehow skipped and dropped to the outside. Had to stop again, get off the bike, pop the chain back on, then set off again. First time I’ve ever had that happen in a race. Still managed a 22:10 to beat last years time by about a minute!

Encouraging that legs felt good though and I really need the practice at 10 efforts, so pretty philosophical about it all 🙂

How did you all get on? Looks like we might have some decent weather on the way which will make a nice change 🙂

matts
    Free Member

How did you all get on?

Just the club event again last Thursday. I lost last weekend’s training to family stuff, so I’d trained all through the week up until then. Was pretty cooked come Thursday. Same HR, 2 seconds slower. 15W down on power. Bit of a shame to miss out on what was obviously more favourable wind conditions, but hey. On the Strava compare I was actually 7 seconds up at 7 miles, then there’s a 500m @ 6% drag and I just had nothing extra to up it. The winner from the first week smashed 30 seconds off me, so I think any aspirations of winning the scratch competition went up in smoke.

Jamz
    Free Member

A comedy ride on Saturday. Oxonian CC open on H10/17R. Pretty breezy but turned out to be a quick day… for some! Got tangled up in traffic at the first roundabout and had to come to a stop. Then when I set off my chain somehow skipped and dropped to the outside. Had to stop again, get off the bike, pop the chain back on, then set off again. First time I’ve ever had that happen in a race. Still managed a 22:10 to beat last years time by about a minute!

I rode that one too – headwind in the last 2 miles was BRUTAL! The uphill drag on the DC to the roundabout was soul destroying, I swear only a handful of cars when past too. The roundabout was like a mirage on the horizon that just wasn’t getting any closer.

First roundabout held me up also, reckon I lost about 15 seconds overall. 35mph down to a crawl, and then you’ve lost all the speed going into the DC when you need it to carry you over that little incline on the other side of the roundabout. Pretty much game over. Although loosing a chain as well would really be a PITA !!

Lord know how that chap managed a short 20!!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Lord know how that chap managed a short 20!!

Clue is partly in his team name I suspect 😉

I rode that one too – headwind in the last 2 miles was BRUTAL! The uphill drag on the DC to the roundabout was soul destroying, I swear only a handful of cars when past too. The roundabout was like a mirage on the horizon that just wasn’t getting any closer.

The drag up to the last roundabout? That is tough. Once past that psychologically it’s not too bad, half a mile to the bridge then half a mile to the finish.

Looking forward to getting another crack at it mid-week. Hopefully with no mishaps this time. Then it’s an open on H15/1 this weekend (PB guaranteed as it’ll be the first time I’ve done a 15!)

I rode that one too

Hmm now who are you then? 🙂

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Managed to do a PB tonight on the PETTS (Preston evening time trial series) 10mile course, coming 2nd overall with a time of 21:30. (Roadbike with clip-ons) had a nice tailwind for the first 4miles that turned into a headwind for the last 3. The heat was horrendous though ! Think it played silly buggers with my pm as well. Was a good 100w lower than my previous best on this course.

hjghg5
    Free Member

Club 10 mile championships on V212 last night. I was fastest lady by a little over 2 minutes and took about a minute off my course best.

25.56 – it’s very much not a fast course (fastest time by a club member was a 22, not sure if any guests went faster. But I don’t think anyone has ever broken 20 on it).

matts
    Free Member

Well done all. Some cracking results coming through as everyone’s form improves with all the summer events.

Think it played silly buggers with my pm as well. Was a good 100w lower than my previous best on this course.

I think so, too. Unless your name is Brad Wiggins, I think you’ll struggle to do a 21 when you’re 100W down on power. 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

PM’s do tend to need pretty frequent re-calibration in this heat, at least for the first half an hour or so of a ride.

Garry_Lager

Making slow but steady progress here. Got a 2nd hand stealth for the season and posted 26.40 first time out on J2/1 in Cheshire – windy evening and basically feared for my safety trying to ride the thing in traffic. Slowly got it together and am down to 24.55 now.
    I like how it’s such a mental challenge – prob not got any stronger physically, but learning how to measure your effort and really leave it all out on the course is like a voyage of discovery – got a long way to go.

Still not sure about the bike, can ride it OK now but feels a bit small and uncomfortable. Problem is that I have nothing to compare it to – and tens are a study in discomfort anyhow. It’s a med stealth so might try and get a large exocet frame to see how that measures up.

mrblobby
    Free Member

learning how to measure your effort and really leave it all out on the course is like a voyage of discovery – got a long way to go.

Find that comes just from racing a lot (something I’m way short of this season!) so as to get familiar with the effort and discomfort, especially for 10’s.

It’s a med stealth so might try and get a large exocet frame to see how that measures up.

Where does it feel small? I’m 6ft and quite long limbed and was ok on a medium Stealth, but did need a fair amount of reach from the stem and bars.

Garry_Lager

Just feel a bit cramped on it even with the seat set back – I definitely should experiment with more reach as it feels quite short at the minute.
    Also have the sensation of sliding forward quite a bit and needing to re-position during the test.

matts
    Free Member

Have you got a picture of you riding it?

EDIT: Preferably one of you racing on it. But If you can get a picture on the turbo, make sure it’s one of you after you’ve been doing an interval for 10 minutes.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Also have the sensation of sliding forward quite a bit and needing to re-position during the test.

Worth lowering your saddle, maybe 10mm, and see what difference that makes.

YellowBelly
    Free Member

Did a 100TT at the weekend on a rolling course. Managed 4hrs28m, marginal pb. I was useless for the remainder of the day after that. Best 10m TT time is 21.59 a few weeks ago, can’t see me going quicker than that any time soon.

matts
    Free Member

Kudos for that. I don’t think I fancy doing a hundred. In much the same way as I look at the 600k audaxers and think “wow, amazing achievement, but maybe I’ll stick to hill climbs as my forté”. One of my team mates did a 3:39 a few weeks back. Ouch.

matts
    Free Member

Same, same, but different – Club series again last night. Did a 20:36 – again. Got second – again. Got stuck at a RAB with stationary traffic. Strava compare against my previous ride suddenly jumps from equal to 7 seconds behind. I clawed it back, so that bodes well for future events. Winner did a CR 19:57. He’s got 15Kg on me though. I’d need to be up at 5.3W/Kg to match his power.

Bertie, can you recommend me a steak house?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice work matts.

Well first ever 15 this weekend. Any pacing ideas? I’m thinking maybe a shade above 25 effort for the first 10 then pick it up for the last 5?

matts
    Free Member

You have a PM, right? Just grab your CP30 (graph, not actual) and go with that.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Don’t really have much data for an all out 30 min effort on the TT bike, would just be from 25 data. Though the gap between my 10 and 25 power at the moment is pretty small so it probably doesn’t make much difference!

matts
    Free Member

I mean, look at where the best-fit line is at 30 minutes. But as you say, if you have a fairly classic CP curve, the difference between CP30 and CP60 will be fairly small. A few percent.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Pfft, didn’t happen. DNS due to family issues 🙁 Shame as I think I could have gotten a pretty good result.

if you have a fairly classic CP curve, the difference between CP30 and CP60 will be fairly small. A few percent.

My curve is more a flat line! Only about 3% between by 10 and 25 at the moment. I really should be able to get out a fair bit more power on the 10’s, just need to get more 10’s in the legs.

Congrats to jb89 off this thread, great result in an open 50 on the weekend.

matts
    Free Member

Yeah. I think that is common with people who concentrate on TTs. I’m sure my curve would be flatter if I would HTFU and suffer more on the longer efforts. :mrgreen:

mrblobby
    Free Member

Probably an age thing too! I should probably start thinking about 50’s and 100’s 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘2016 TT'ing thread’ is closed to new replies.