• This topic has 499 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jb89.
Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 500 total)
  • 2016 TT'ing thread
  • bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Turned up to last nights mid week series only to find it’d been shortened to only 6.5miles due to roadworks 😕 Unfortunately of those 6.5miles, 5 of them was going to be in a stiff headwind 🙁 wasn’t a big turnout either (35) probably due to it being half term. With it being so short I just thought I’d go balls out from the start and see how long I could hang on for when the wind helped a little near the end. Did the course in 14:31 with an average of 26.87mph. Coming first much to my surprise (although some of the big names were absent I hasten to add) very happy 😀

Yes I know it’s a pretty poor position 😳

TiRed

23:59 on a cold windy Hounslow 10. Only my second 10 and HCC083 is a lumpy course on a rough surface, which apparently costs two minutes compared with a drag strip. Good enough for third. Paced on heart rate zone in third splits 4.1, 4.3, 4.5 – well that was the plan anyway.

New wheels coming soon to match the HED bars for a full retro-modern look 8)

Jamz
    Free Member

No racing, a bad case of the flu, and much frustration here. Can see this being a repeat of last season that ends just when I feel like I’m getting going

I wouldn’t worry mrblobby, a lot can change in a couple of months. I was going like absolute shite just after Christmas, but in the last couple of months I’m finally getting back up to where I was last summer. I think a bit of Vitamin D does a power of good.

Not to mention worrying is just more stress for your body to deal with. I prefer the ‘by the grace of God’ approach and just take it as it comes. No expectations, no disappointment 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry mrblobby, a lot can change in a couple of months.

Thanks, though now I’m pretty sure I have glandular fever. Been off the bike since last Wednesday and been so ill I haven’t really given riding much thought. This year is not going to plan 🙁

DT78
    Free Member

Get yourself a blood test if you suspect GF. I had it for the best part of 2 years whilst at uni completely knocked me out, I just fell asleep everywhere.

Fingers crossed it isn’t.

Free time and TT’s are not coinciding for me so far this season. Putting a decent amount of time in on the turbo super early in the morning so looking forward to when the stars do align. I’d hope for a good sub 25min 10.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks DT. Spoke to the GP and he said it sounded like GF but there was little point going to see him as there’s not much they can do. Things do seem to be improving though and even managed a short z1 on the turbo last night as felt OK. Probably need to forget about F11/10 in a couple of weeks though 🙁

scaredypants

It may make you sound a bit needy (and, yes, the NHS is skint) but if you don’t improve soon you could ask the GP for a test to confirm GF – I think a monospot costs about £2.50 or something. That might at least help you decide whether starting to train again is sensible

hjghg5
    Free Member

New 10 mile pb today and subject to confirmation it’s a ladies club record 🙂 23.17 🙂

The only slight downer is that the event was abandoned part way through so the other woman from the club who was riding (who was also likely to break the record) didn’t ride so I don’t quite feel like I got it fairly.

matts
    Free Member

Congrats. 🙂 Great time. What course?

Don’t fret it. She’ll take it off you if she’s good enough.

I remember I once won the biggest improvement prize when I did my first ever flat 25. I was racing regularly on the road at the time, but the only 25 I’d ever done before was the North Road Hardriders – in a storm. I took nearly 12 minutes off my PB. 😆 Felt a bit of a sham, but hey. Don’t think I’ll ever do that again though.

hjghg5
    Free Member

V718. First time on it.

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

I had a lovely race last night. I have been doing a lot of my races on smaller local roads and have really been enjoying it. Anyone who gets a bit put off by all the fast DC stuff and lots of travelling might be pleasantly surprised by some of the courses available.

https://www.strava.com/activities/604193057

jb89
    Free Member

Didcot club 10 last night on the CC243a (course with 10 roundabouts)! Managed 21.42, which is only 21s off my PB on the F11, and the only time I’ve gone sub 22 on anywhere but the F11!

It’s either down to widening pads beforehand which lets my head drop noticeably lower, riding not completely fatigued for the first time this season, or both! Either way I’m pleased!

mrblobby
    Free Member

CC243a (course with 10 roundabouts)! Managed 21.42,

Noticed that on the results sheet, top effort there!

pleasantly surprised by some of the courses available.

Have a load of B road courses round here that are fun to ride on (one was the national 10 course back in 2009) giving a varied club calendar. Some talk about not being able to carry on with a wide range of courses due to the new requirements around risk assessments. Would be a shame if they were to fall out of use.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Did a PB on the local 10 last night. 21.53 at an av of 27.7mph, coming 2nd on the night. Well happy but still got a lot to learn on pacing though, set off to fast (yet again) so was dying on my arse near the end. First 3miles I was averaging 360w, the last 3 was only 330w 🙄
    Here’s a pic of me from last week. Apologies for my gob being open, not very aero at all 😆

mrblobby
    Free Member

Great result and great pain face 🙂

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

mrblobby – Member
    Great result and great pain face

Rather annoyingly my chin has been likened to Jimmy Hills 😆 👿

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Aero chin

mrblobby
    Free Member

Disappointing lack of drool too 🙂

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

mrblobby – Member
    Disappointing lack of drool too

That made an appearance at 7.8miles in and stayed with me, like a little loyal puppy until the end 😳

matts
    Free Member

Get an adjustable stem and get lower. 22 minutes on that setup is a great effort. 8)

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Since this pick I’ve moved the elbow pads in slightly which seemed to help. Here’s a (poor) pick of how my clip-ons are sett up :

Looking at it your right, might move that last spacer above the stem and flip it as well. Thanks Matts. I’ve only did a couple of TT’s last year and six this year so I’ve still got a lot to learn.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well another cancelled race, too much standing water… in June FFS! So my total for the year also remains at six 🙁

matts
    Free Member

Looking at it your right, might move that last spacer above the stem and flip it as well. Thanks Matts. I’ve only did a couple of TT’s last year and six this year so I’ve still got a lot to learn.

You could also look at getting some clip-ons that put the extensions under the bars (like the Profile V2+) so the pads can sit right on top of the bars. That would get you a smidge lower without having the hassle of swapping the stem all the time.

I use a BBB HighSix adjustable stem when I set the bike up for a TT. That gets me about 4cm lower than my regular stem. But it’s a bit of a faff.

Another thing that can give you a bit of ‘free’ speed on a road frame is an aero bottle. If you can mount it right down in the v of the BB it helps smooth out the blocky tubes. I did a bit of Chung testing and it seemed to give [me] a slight reduction in cda. (Specialized S-Works Aero Bottle)

scaredypants

I think that stem is already “flipped” isn’t it ?

jb89
    Free Member

Well another cancelled race, too much standing water… in June FFS! So my total for the year also remains at six

I rode up there only to find it was cancelled 🙁

Thrashed around at threshold for an hour there and back instead, which will probably leave just enough fatigue to cock up tomorrow’s F11 pb attempt, without any meaning gain from intervals!

Then a difficult 25 on the F13/25 sunday, which going under the hour looks like an achievement!

mrblobby
    Free Member

jb I must have just left before you got there. Going to have a crack at F11/10 tomorrow too (#76). Feel pretty good after illness but not raced for a month or ridden much at all so pretty low expectations (and no chance of the 19 I was hoping for on that course this year!)

jb89
    Free Member

Yeah I got there about 7.15 I think.

Not looking ideal for tomorrow, NW wind forecast, which I’ve found the slowest by 40 – 60s in the past. I seem to go best on a SW or W wind, followed by E. S is best but never ridden with one.

With NW you get a long headwind stretch which negates the momentum from the hill, but you don’t get much of a boost from the 2nd turn as its sheltered. Other than the last mile, which is always nice.

I’m feeling so positive…!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Green-ish suit? I probably passed you going the other way near the garage in Stadhampton.

Well at least it won’t be wet tomorrow. Won’t be too disappointed if it’s a slow day, don’t think I’d PB at the moment even on a floater. Be good just to be racing again 🙂

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Change of scenery and course for the evening TT series I do on a Tuesday night. Normally it’s a pan flat course but once a year they hold one event on a slightly longer, hilly course near to where I live.

It’s not massively hilly (around 850ft) but lumpy enough for the lightweight guys to have an advantage on the ups. It’s also quite technical which, along with the damp conditions, was hoping to play into my hands a bit being an mtb’er. Anyway I came in 4th on the night against some very strong opposition so very happy with my lot. Don’t think I could’ve done anymore, 330w for 40mins was right on the limit for me !

matts
    Free Member

Nice one. You have a good mud-splattered hardriders look going on.

330W = ? W/Kg?

Our club 10 series that was cancelled on the old DC course is starting up again tomorrow as a sporting course – road bikes only, no clips, no discs.*

* I did suggest woollen jerseys, wooden rims, and spare tub crossed over shoulders, but I don’t think they found it funny.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Did my last FTP test at the beginning of April, managed 357w over the twenty minutes giving me an FTP of 339w with a w/kg of 4.35 (weighed 78kg at the time) I’m thinking it may of gone up slightly since then although to counteract that I’ve put on a few kgs (82kgs atm) 😳

matts
    Free Member

You must be trying hard to put weight on during the season. 😀

If you can drop the weight without losing the power, you’d be pushing 4.5 – which would be really good. 🙂 You’d be flying on a TT bike.

After I broke my wrist last winter I put on a load of weight. Was up to nearly 84 at the end of Jan. I’m back down to 76 now. I’m mainly aiming to to be back into proper shape for hill climb season, but I’m going to do the sporting 10s (which are actually about 9.2s) as training and testing. I think tomorrow I’m going to aim for 330W, (4.35). I reckon the course will be about 22 mins.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

After I broke my wrist last winter I put on a load of weight. Was up to nearly 84 at the end of Jan. I’m back down to 76 now. I’m mainly aiming to to be back into proper shape for hill climb season, but I’m going to do the sporting 10s (which are actually about 9.2s) as training and testing. I think tomorrow I’m going to aim for 330W, (4.35). I reckon the course will be about 22 mins.

Well done on the weight loss, got down to 76 myself just before the Fred whitton but after the event I struggled to keep at that, I like my food to much 😆 By the time the hill climb season is upon us you’ll be flying Id imagine.

matts
    Free Member

Well, the course was shortened a bit to 8.8 miles to make the start a bit safer. I did just about what I thought – 334W average for 20:46. Which was good enough for second on the night. Winner did a 20:32. Pacing was a bit wobbly, but considering it was my first race for about 2.5 years, I’m pretty happy with that.

I seemed to be in a rather small minority not having an aero road lid. One of those may be on the horizon, methinks.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

matts – Member
    Well, the course was shortened a bit to 8.8 miles to make the start a bit safer. I did just about what I thought – 334W average for 20:46. Which was good enough for second on the night. Winner did a 20:32. Pacing was a bit wobbly, but considering it was my first race for about 2.5 years, I’m pretty happy with that.
    I seemed to be in a rather small minority not having an aero road lid. One of those may be on the horizon, methinks.

Well done on your placement, especially after your time off racing.

matts
    Free Member

Of the 2 really fast guys (club records for 25 [48:35] – and 100 [3.39.22] went last weekend), only one showed-up, and he wasn’t really going FULGAZ!

But you can only beat who shows. So I’ll take it. 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Looks like the postponed VC10 on F11/10 has been postponed again! Suits me as I probably wouldn’t have been able to race and I might even find some form by the time they actually get around to running it 🙂

Funny old season. Good winter, encouraging early season results, then it all went a bit off the rails. Not enough early season racing (lots of cancelled races, and I didn’t think there was much to be gained from doing the SpoCo’s but think that was a mistake.) Started to get going in May but then got sick. Bit of a slow recovery and then a two week holiday that was well timed became very badly timed (I got to do a lot of riding but ideal would have been time properly training on the TT bike.) So six weeks in the middle of the season off the TT bike without any racing or much structured training. Oh well. Time to knuckle down in July and see what I can salvage from the season in August.

Hope your season is going better than mine!

matts
    Free Member

I would suggest getting out there and doing a club 10 asap to get yourself over the mental hump of not racing. After that, pick an event in about 6-8 weeks to really target and treat everything up till then as training.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Got a 10 on Thursday and a 25 on Saturday 🙂 It’s not going to be quick but at least I’ll be racing again.

jb89
    Free Member

Completely forgot about this thread!

Lots of racing, 20.40 on the F11 in the Hemel Event, 41s PB! 21.54 on the f5d/10 last night in the North Bucks club 10, which I was pleased with…it was my first ever TT 2 years ago so fond memories!

No opens planned. House move has meant busy week (and continuing!) so hoping I can keep some form by cutting easy rides and riding hard every time I ride the bike!

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘2016 TT'ing thread’ is closed to new replies.