• This topic has 499 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jb89.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 500 total)
  • 2016 TT'ing thread
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

With a 59.49 for a 25, shows its not about the bike! 🙂

TiRed

Third overall, 1:20 down on second and errrr six minutes down on the might Maybank. On top of that I raced a hard Surrey League Masters crib yesterday at Cyclopark to unlucky 11th.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

1:53:59 in the Chartlotteville 50. Pb by about 12 minutes, but my old 50 best was a bit outdated.

Went for the 57t.

fasthaggis

Good day helping at the Scottish national 10 champs. Wind on the out slowed it down a bit ,but proper test for that fairly new course.Sunshine bonus in the afternoon. 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

1:53:59 in the Chartlotteville 50. Pb by about 12 minutes, but my old 50 best was a bit outdated.

I did spot that on the results sheet, nice work.

Jamz, turns out I can make it now. Day after Reading CC open on H25/1, should be a nice little warm up!

Jamz
    Free Member

@ Tired I think the bike looks great! Possubly the shortest headtube I’ve ever seen. Surely you can afford to drop the bars a wee bit tho? So many spacers 😯 plus the saddle to bar drop looks fairly conservative.

@ mrblooby a 10 after a 25 – rather you than me!! I’ve only done one 25 but it really took it out of me, could feel it for a few days after. Good luck eh! Is H25/1 a fast course? I’ve only ridden H25/17 which seemed quick but was busy and quite narrow in places – not a good combination.

TiRed

The drop is not huge. In fact there are no spacers because it is a quill stem threaded headset. What you see is the very large campag locknut. The original bars were too extrem cinelli Angel, these are much nicer. They can drop about a cm, but a negative stem is also possible. Wheels will be the next upgrade if any.

The frame is fillet brazed Columbus aero. One of the last made by Barry Chick for the Leo Rochford RC team. It is initialled rather than frame numbered. It also came with original Zipp 440 rims that are going on my track bike.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Is a nice bit of retro that TiRed. Those Hed bars are meant to be nice and slippy.

Jamz, H25/1 is a reasonably quick course, and also the road I do most of my TT bike training on so know it very well. First real go at 25’s this year so it’s really just a bit of practice. Shall have to have a think about it as F11/10 is my best chance of getting into the 19’s this year, which would be nice to do.

sturdylad
    Free Member

PB for me on the F11 too on Saturday, first time I’d ridden the course, deffo not the “gift” course that many claim it to be but it’s certainly fast.
    Really enjoyed the morning.

matts
    Free Member

They can drop about a cm, but a negative stem is also possible. Wheels will be the next upgrade if any.

IMO, you’d probably shave more time by lowering the front and spending a few weeks getting used to the position than you could ever save on wheels.

Do you have a picture of you riding? Even though I think I have more drop on my makeshift setup, I’m acutely aware that my head is still periscoped up above my body line.

Definitely do it a bit at a time though, with a couple of training rides in each position to help you adjust.

EDIT: BTW, I did a mid 57 that day. 2 club mates (one a sub 20 10 miler, one a sub 50 25 miler) both did mid 55s on full TT setup. Hutch was the only person to dip under 50 that day. Just.

Jamz
    Free Member

PB for me on the F11 too on Saturday, first time I’d ridden the course, deffo not the “gift” course that many claim it to be but it’s certainly fast.
    Really enjoyed the morning.

I think it definitley is – I look over 1:30 off my PB! An Nick English won on a 19:00 and it wasn’t the best of days for it. Not to mention the fact that the road surface is far from ideal in places. As far as courses go it’s definitely not an true representation of ability, but then with the amount of traffic on most courses at the weekends I don’t really think many places are these days. I reckon you could save 30 seconds if you were lucky with the traffic, and then you have to factor the hill into the equation!

jb89
    Free Member

21:21 for me on the F11…PB by a huge 2 seconds! Better than not though. Didn’t find it a massively quick day, but not slow either. I was hoping for a bit more time off the PB, but I wasn’t feeling great so I’ll happily take the 2s 🙂

TiRed

No photos yet, but I think some were taken, and I am still working on the position. It may go a little lower or flatter, but I am after comfort because I am more interested in endurance 25/50/100 than outright power events. And the position is very comfortable, as is the frame.

I have been riding 75 km/week on this bike to hone position, including swapping to the Ares saddle last week from an Arione. I need to move further forward with a reverse seatpost to really go lower at the front because I spent most of the hour on the nose – it is a pretty relaxed seat tube angle compared with modern bikes.

A whiplash injury will always limit my neck position, so a skinsuit (my road race one), helmet, shoecovers and gloves were in order. The Ultremo tyres were the fastest 23c I had in the garage. Next will be wheels (I’ve sourced a HED disc and Jet 60) for future events.

I’ll also look at some flatter courses than our sporting HCC001!

matts
    Free Member

Yeah. If you’re doing 100s, then your neck may suffer.

What sort of helmet are you running? Maybe a stubby one would be ideal if you struggle to crane your neck up the whole time. Something super short like the Catlike Rapid would allow you to have your head down without a big tail stuck up in the wind. (Although I would still advise looking where you’re going :mrgreen: )

In that pic, I’m running a Thomson layback post reversed to give me a steeper effective seat tube angle. I’m also using an Adamo (Now swapped for a Cobb V-Flow Max), which has helped me to get further forward and rotated in a more comfortable manner.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Speaking of Cobb – I have a V-Flow for sale if people want to try a TT/Tri saddle

/spam

TiRed

£30 used Giro Advantage of the TT forum (I’m cheap). I have a Medium Giro shaped head and the fit is very good. Kask don’t really do it for me. I also road race wearing an Air Attack. I’m pretty careful about head position, so consciously don’t stick the peak into the wind, But lower head may help a bit. Definitely need the reverse layback post in a 27.2 (I have a 30.6 already 🙁 ). The Ares feels great but then I can ride almost anything flat!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Bloody brilliant, not only loads of standing water on tonights course, but potentially loads of slow moving traffic too with the M4 closure. I’m beginning to think my season is doomed to consist of crap courses / weather / traffic again. Maybe had one good race day last year 🙁

matts
    Free Member

I know how it feels. I often watched a beautiful sunny day out of the office window, then rocked-up at club 10s and spent 30 minutes hiding the car hoping for a squall to pass. Either that, or you go off for a warm-up and realise the wind is 90° to the course – head-wind all the way!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well turned out to be good conditions in the end on H10/3. Men’s and women’s course records broken. My ride, a bit meh. A PB, but not by much, and some pretty decent power but had bad visor misting for most of the race (seriously considered abandoning on the return leg) and rode the course pretty poorly. Lack of early season racing probably to blame 🙁

matts
    Free Member

Nice one on the PB, mrblobby.

jb89
    Free Member

Possibly riding the H10/17 (not the normal R version) tonight, but with the weather favourable I’m tempted by a longer club ride.

H25/17 on Sunday on the same road, first 25 so looking forward to finally riding one, and trying not to pace it disastrously and blow up!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks matts, just a course PB, not too bad I guess but not where I expected to be compared to others 😕

Second ever 25 and first of the season here this weekend too. Given how hideous a 10 is I’m somewhat dreading it!

matts
    Free Member

TBH I think a 10 can be more painful than a 25. Just make sure you don’t go out too hard! If you go off at fast 10 pace, then you’ll be in all sorts of trouble. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

I don’t like 10s, far too painful. Give me an 100 any day.

From Charlotteville 50:

matts
    Free Member

What’s with those socks? I never realised the Charlotteville 50 was part of a triathlon? :mrgreen: 😉

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Team issue unfortunately… faster than bare legs 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

matts, trip socks, all the rage 🙂

umop3pisdn, looks like you’ve spent a lot of time with Xav!

Hmm just done a 20 min interval on the same course as last night on a training ride, a much more controlled effort on less power with less aero gear and training wheels and probably not as quick a day… only some 15 seconds slower 😕

hjghg5
    Free Member

Mixed ride tonight on the club 12.5 mile route. It was tough conditions (headwind up a stiff climb) but I wasn’t dropping too much time on last week’s ride which had been in fast conditions. Then I got stuck behind a queue of traffic that was stuck behind a tractor that was stuck behind a slower rider. Spent about 2 miles sitting up and covering the brakes with a fair amount of freewheeling, and was rather frustrated at the end.

I was then cheered up by the fact that I was still much closer to last week’s time than most people!

No TT this weekend, doing my first circuit race of the season. E1234. Lovely… (Although to be fair all the pre-entries seem to be 3 and 4).

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

@mrblobby i’ve yet to have an AeroCoach session actually, I’ll be super slippy when I do!

jb89
    Free Member

22.18 in the Didcot 10 on the H10/17 last night. Mark Jones turned up and destroyed everyone with a 20.11.

Nice course, potentially quicker than the more popular H10/17r variant. 31mph for 6 miles to the turn, but A brutal wind up the final ‘climb’ made topping 20mph tricky.

Tried a slower cadence which I think helped me pace better. Not as relevant in a 10, but may be useful for my first 25 on Sunday.

matts
    Free Member

Spent about 2 miles sitting up and covering the brakes with a fair amount of freewheeling

A 2 mile tow? Sounds like you saved a lot of energy to blast the rest of the course. 😆

E1234.

Where are you riding an e1234 at this time of year? I don’t think I’ve seen one of them for a while. I think they stopped doing them even in the winter series in London due to the size of the fields.

mrblobby
    Free Member

22.18 in the Didcot 10 on the H10/17 last night.

You must be “James Can’t Read Handwriting” 🙂

hjghg5
    Free Member

Plenty of e1234s if you’re female…

hjghg5
    Free Member

Sadly the course ran out before I got to use that “saved” energy! It was downhill with a tailwind too so while it was an easy stretch I reckon I could have gone faster without the traffic.

jb89
    Free Member

You must be “James Can’t Read Handwriting”

8)

matts
    Free Member

Plenty of e1234s if you’re female…

Ah.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Comedy skin suit drama before today’s 25…

Not sure how many watts that would have cost me! Can anyone suggest someone for skin suit zip repair?

Despite all that, for first of the season, and only second ever 25, I quite enjoyed that… which probably meant I didn’t go hard enough 🙂

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

NoPinz, did my old skinsuit when I did exactly the same before a 50. 1 week turnaround.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Splendid, thanks, I’ll give Blake a call.

umop3pisdn, you sporting one of the NoPinz Aerocoach skin suits there?

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Yup

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘2016 TT'ing thread’ is closed to new replies.