• This topic has 499 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jb89.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 500 total)
  • 2016 TT'ing thread
  • Jamz
    Free Member

Anyone riding the F11 next Saturday? I see a few are almost in the vicinity…

I will be and it shall be my first time riding a fast course. I’m just hoping for some semi decent weather seeing as VC10 was rained off last month.

jb89
    Free Member

Anyone riding the F11 next Saturday? I see a few are almost in the vicinity…

I will be and it shall be my first time riding a fast course. I’m just hoping for some semi decent weather seeing as VC10 was rained off last month.

Yep!

It’s quick but not a gimme as it were. Wind makes a huge difference, up to over a minute in my experience. I can’t remember which is preferable, S or SW I think, but no wind is certainly the best by far.

mrblobby
    Free Member

A few from my club are. I would be if I wasn’t busy that weekend. Not the nicest of courses but it is fast.

Any news on the rescheduling of the cancelled VC10?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Jamz
    Free Member

A few from my club are. I would be if I wasn’t busy that weekend. Not the nicest of courses but it is fast.

Any news on the rescheduling of the cancelled VC10?

I was surprised at how rough the surface was for a dual carriageway. Probably the least smooth DC I’ve ever ridden!! (not ridden many tho).

No news on the new date so far as I’m aware.

It’s quick but not a gimme as it were. Wind makes a huge difference, up to over a minute in my experience. I can’t remember which is preferable, S or SW I think, but no wind is certainly the best by far.

From looking at a map I’d have thought anything from S to SW could potentially be very favourable. At least there’s plenty more opportunities to ride it over summer if the conditions are poor.

Sadly the conditions were looking excellent before VC10 – Strong wind from the SSW and low pressure.

Kryton57

Well I’m first off at 2pm at our clubs annual TT F7/10. I’m full of cold so not expecting much but was hoping for 26 mins, probably be slower now. Riders are off every 30 secs so I’m sure I’ll get caught, especially as there’s a climb in the middle so I need to work out how to handle that.

The first 2 miles is downhill, it’s tempting to get on the gas, not sure if that’s the right thing to do on what is a short course TBH, or still ride a negative split with the first half under LTH.

mrblobby
    Free Member

You not got the PM on there yet Kryton? Just keep it steady on the hill if it’s only half way.

Kryton57

I have yes. I could say I’ll ride under FTP 1st half, watch it on the hill, then over FTP backfire the 3rd quarter, then there’s two 1/2 mile flat straights before the end to smash on, then a 150m kick up at the end. But last time out I struggled to find time to look at the Garmin! I’m just tempted to smash the first 2 miles downhill to make up time.

phil40
    Free Member

Looking at the position in the photo, you could do with turtling your head a bit (exactly like it sounds!) try rolling your shoulders and tucking your head down, it is supposed to be more aero, and yes as with everyone else, rotate your body around an axis to get your frontal area smaller. The timetriallingforum are a friendly bunch (i frequent there as well) and have loads of useful information if you ask!

If anyone is down Hampshire way, my club (…a3crg) are starting our club 10’s on Wednesday 11th May, and then every wednesday after that. We run a league with a variety of special nights for bonus points (fixed/ road bike/ 2 up). It is P881 course (A3 up around Liphook), first rider off at 7pm at 30s intervals! We are also hosting the mens 10M TT nat champs this year, so it is going to be a busy year!

I help out with signing on, results (bad back so no racing for me at the moment on a TT bike)!

scott-b
    Free Member

Last Tuesday saw my second time trial. 7.7 miles on a flat course. Looked ok or so I thought, bloody freezing, rain, hail and the last 2 miles into the head wind from hell!
    Managed to hit over 33mph at one point with the wind behind me. Finished in 19.59 with an average of 23.3mph 16th out of 35.
    Pretty happy with that.

Kryton57

Official time 26:03. Pity it wasn’t under 26 but finishing feeling sick and with a face full of snot so at least showed some kind of effort. Winner today was 21:32 – fast!

TiRed

New Fizik Ares saddle arrived today. Position a bit lower. Off to try it over 40 miles tomorrow morning. West London combine in a week. Hoping for a sub hour sporting 25 on the same course.

And the retro Zipp 440s now hold air properly thanks to Vittoria valve extenders 😀

SamB
    Free Member

Thanks for the pointers folks. I’ll be along at Hillingdon tonight on the road bike, won’t be converting to the TT setup till mid-may so will see how much of a difference it makes then 🙂

Anyone else riding this eve?

jb89
    Free Member

Open on the F11/10 on Saturday for me.

Debating riding the Didcot club TT tomorrow. Had a heavy 5 days of riding/racing but legs are feeling good so don’t know whether to plow onwards and hope ro ride the peak for Saturday, or ease off. Suspect the legs might relax too much if I ease off so easy tonight, TT tomorrow than easy Friday I think!

Kryton57

Anyone else riding this eve?

Yep, planning to be there – Beard, red club kit & bianchi with TT extensions. 🙂

TiRed

Sold out and no entry on the line. I checked on RiderHQ yesterday. So not tonight Josephine. Road the E123 last night and a 60km training loop today.

Hounslow 10 tomorrow evening instead.

Oh and my best 10 lap time last night was 17:20 (in the bunch) 😉

Kryton57

Despite the weather, are arm warmers faster than bare arms?

SamB
    Free Member

Yep, planning to be there – Beard, red club kit & bianchi with TT extensions.

Grand, might see you there then! Beard, blue Tri club kit and a Cervelo S5 🙂

I’ve brought the arm warmers (and longs!) just in case the temperature drops, but I don’t expect I’ll be at the sharp end so will wear whatever’s comfortable!

Kryton57

How was that for you Sam? On what appeared to be a lovely evening I found that hard work. What I thought was a slight breeze was enough of a headwind on the straight to be needing some quite serious power output to get along at a decent speed, needed again on the return leg up the hill. This resulted in 90% on 10% off for me. I messed up on strategy putting out near constant FTP average for each of the 11 laps rather than the preferable negative split, I guess by trying to be in a hurry on the straight and putting too much out in the early laps.

27:22 then, for low powered me in my 4th TT I’m happy with that, the obvious target now to go under 27.

adsh
    Free Member

putting out near constant FTP average for each of the 11 laps rather than the preferable negative split

Do you have any evidence you put out more total power if you do negative splits?

Kryton57

Fair point – not really. The negative split concept was evolved from my use of TrainerRoad whereby in 20 min tests I find I performed better with a lower output for the first 10 then a higher output for the remainder.

The four TT’s I’ve done so far have been a learning curve in how to judge my power output correctly – the average is getting higher each time. Last night was a lesson though – with the concept of the last 2 laps (off 11) being smash laps, I slowed on the last lap. I found it really hard. Conditions were different – strong blustery winds on the 2nd – between the two but here’s my 2nd TT and 4t TT lap times at the same circuit, the former a negative split:

2nd TT:

1 02:40.2
    2 02:38.5
    3 02:39.9
    4 02:39.0
    5 02:38.0
    6 02:39.3
    7 02:29.0
    8 02:34.7
    9 02:34.6
    10 02:32.6
    11 02:31.3

4th TT:

1 02:31.5
    2 02:28.3
    3 02:27.9
    4 02:29.3
    5 02:29.1
    6 02:29.5
    7 02:29.6
    8 02:28.4
    9 02:30.7
    10 02:28.9
    11 02:29.1

Edit: – there’s use of a Garmin/PM on the 4th TT as well, it was RPE on the 2nd TT.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Think even power is always preferable. Thing is if you do lower power for the first half by distance you’ll be going slower for longer than you’ll be going faster. For the same average power I think the overal time will be greater. I guess it’s advantageous if you don’t want to risk blowing up on the return leg.

Kryton57

So, any tips on gauging average power throughout? Or is this just experience plus letting it all out on the final laps/section?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Experience really. Have a number in mind, ride to it, if you blow up before the end then it was too high, if you finish strongly then it was probably too low. Tweak the number for next race. Reckon if I can finish with a big effort for the last minute or two then I’ve probably not gone hard enough for the other 20 odd minutes.

TiRed

Hillingdon is a flat course. I’d set a target lap time of 2:20-2:25 and aim to ping off regular laps based on perceived effort. Then try harder for the last couple of laps. It’s all you need for flat power output.

Well done btw. Always windy at Hillingdon, especially heading south down the straight. I did a crit there earlier in the year into a 40 mph headwind on the small ring!

EDIT My Garmin is set for races on HR zone, Time and Laps. With auto lapping based on position (you could add current lap time for a goal). Start the Garmin when the timer counts from 5… Take 5 seconds off your final time. Simples.

SamB
    Free Member

Yeah I found it ok! Not my fastest 10 miles, but I was reasonably happy with 28:44. Agree about the wind though, it seemed lovely at the clubhouse but once you were out on the circuit it got a bit headwindy!

I did spend a little time getting a bit TT-esque, bent forwards with forearms on the tops. I’m not sure if that’s allowed (not in control of the bike?) 😳

Anyway, looking forward to this becoming a regular thing. I can definitely do better, and I wasn’t pushing hard enough in the middle laps. Average heart rate was 158bpm and I reckon it should be more in the high-160 to low-170s for that length course!

EDIT: and also what TIRed said – my Garmin was set to my usual readout of time/distance/HR/cadence. I should probably tweak that a bit and set up auto-laps to I’ve got a target to push for…

Jamz
    Free Member

Like mrblobby says it’s all down to experience – once you’ve gathered data then you’ll have a good idea of what you can do. That’s why I think it’s important to spend a couple of months when you first get a PM just using it to record data and not worrying about hitting any figures or racing tactics. At the end of that period you can then analyse the data and you’ll be able see exactly what’s going on when you race and hopefully what you can do to go faster. You’ll also have a figure for your maximum power output for a 10.

As for what power to ride in a 10, I like to take the death or glory approach where I start out for the first 2 mins at 10W under my best ever record 20min power. After 2 mins I take it up to that number and hold on for dear life. Sometimes my form is poor but more often that not I can hold the power, or even just edge it up slightly, depends how high the stakes are really.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Sunday’s 50 – 57×14 or 55/14, that’s the question.

TiRed

Windy? If in doubt, go lower.

Kryton57

Thanks for the tips.

jb89
    Free Member

Rode the Didcot 10 last night (the one with all the roundabouts!), 22.54 which was 30s slower than I went on road bike w/ clip ons last year!

However, it’s been a big training week – 6 days, 400km at 32.6kph avg Garmin connect informs me – in preparation for a couple of racing weekends, so I’m reasonable happy with the time considering fatigue!

Easy spin tonight, then the F11/10 tomorrow morning!

ferrals
    Free Member

However, it’s been a big training week – 6 days, 400km at 32.6kph avg

Christ that puts my ‘big training weeks’ of 150km max in perspective 🙁

jb89
    Free Member

Christ that puts my ‘big training weeks’ of 150km max in perspective

Sunny weather, bank holiday and club rides have been kind!

Certainly not a normal week for me!

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

So I bought the TT bike I was looking at, Boardman Air. It arrived yesterday, looks lovely although its quite a lot heavier than my summer road bike. How long before I want a disc wheel?!

Sadly I have my first cold in about a year so it remains in the workstand for now whilst I watch my CTL plummet further after a month of sparse training due to antibiotics. Might try the club 10 next week but I’d been hoping to podium at the Scottish RR champs in a couple of weeks given how well my early season races had gone, so might need to focus on that and not ride my new bike for a few weeks! 😕

hjghg5
    Free Member

Crap ride on the club event on Thursday but I’ve just made up for it with a new 10 mile pb of 24.39. Very happy with that!

fasthaggis

Good luck tomorrow

Stretched out
    hands clasped
    praying
    for seconds on a far away watch.
    Pushing from toes to temple
    pain washing up.
    Make yourself small.
    Make yourself small.
    Eyes fixed on the tiny screen, with an occasional
    glance at grass blade direction.
    The numbers aren’t lying
    a smile creeps in
    you’re flying.
    Save some
    Save some for
    Save some for the finish.
    You hit the turn flat out
    hear your club mates shout.
    “Go on”
    “Wind it up man”
    “Push ya bawbag”
    laughing as you exhale
    You are on the way back now
    The numbers still look good.
    Save some
    Save some for
    Save some for the finish.
    You feel the wind change on your shoulder.
    Don’t change.
    Spin
    Push
    Don’t change
    Spin
    Push
    You start to look up
    You see the man in the deckchair
    You see the flag
    THE FLAG
    Spew your number out
    in a last breath as you cross the line
    Done
    Warming down you check the numbers…
    YES!!

😉

Jamz
    Free Member

Good day to be riding the F11 yesterday. PB for me and a fair few others by the sounds of things? Just a shame I forgot to untape my helmet vents beforehand – sweat was cascading down the inside of the visor by the end of it…. still better too hot than too cold so you shan’t hear a complaint from me!

Looking forward to seeing what I can do at the re-run of VC10 on the 10th July now.

mrblobby
    Free Member

10th July… bugger, can’t make that 🙁

Jamz
    Free Member

Unlucky mrblobby! You can get your entry back though.

See here: Time Trialling Forum

TiRed

Rode our inter club 25 in 59:49 on HC/001 Drift Road course. Very pleased. Must have been the green Ultremo tyres to finish the Italian colour scheme in homage to the Giro.

TiRed

Red, green and white en homage to the the Giro (with helmet too). Now this is a budget TT bike! Bike was £400, wheels survived my crash a year ago, bars and brakes were £50, saddle £50 and helmet £30.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘2016 TT'ing thread’ is closed to new replies.