• This topic has 499 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jb89.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 500 total)
  • 2016 TT'ing thread
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

Its pretty relaxed at these week night TT’s. Yeah, you’ll see loads of fancy disc wheels and aero carbon stuff, but then you’ll see old guys on steel bikes with just some clip on aero bars or not even that.

I was hoping for sub-23mins for a 10 this year but my first two have been over 24 mins. And the TT bike which I got last year, and now with a disc wheel, unsurprisingly isn’t much if any faster than the road bike with clip on bars.

And the first time you do it, with the person holding you up at the start and the counter going 5…4…3…2…1….go – just feels really pro, especially if they count down with their fingers too. 😀

mrblobby
    Free Member

And the first time you do it, with the person holding you up at the start and the counter going 5…4…3…2…1….go – just feels really pro, especially if they count down with their fingers too.

Definitely gets you going that, even just for club races!

And the TT bike which I got last year, and now with a disc wheel, unsurprisingly isn’t much if any faster than the road bike with clip on bars.

Did a non-aero 10 last week, so everyone on road bikes, no clip on’s, no deep section wheels, no skin suits or fancy helmets. Most seemed somewhere between 2 to 3 minutes down on their TT bike times on the same course.

Jamz
    Free Member

@Kryton57 I wouldn’t bother with shoe covers. From what I can gather they dont necessarily offer any benefit. Some covers will actually be slower that just a standard shoe. In my mind it’s not worth going through X number of overshoes per year for a questionable gain. Further down the line I intend to buy some lace up shoes (Giro or Specialized) which should be better (although obviously a bigger outlay).

@mtbtomo surprising that you dont notice any difference between road bike and TT. This season I have already ridden one course twice – rides about 1 month apart – I was 2.29 quicker on a full TT setup compared to standard road bike setup.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

It was road bike with clip ons versus TT bike. Its the clip ons that make the biggest difference, almost an instant 1 minute saving over normal drops. Maybe 30 seconds better again on the full TT bike, but a fast time seems so weather dependant, so its hard to tell.

njee20
    Free Member

Off to do a “try a TT” run by the local club this morning, roped in last minute by LBS owner to give the shop some presence! Dug out the old skinsuit, feeling like more of a sexual deviant than usual.

Sporting course, strong winds, potential rain, I’m really unfit and I’m on a road bike with no concessions to TTing. Can’t see I’ll be setting the world on fire…!

hjghg5
    Free Member

1.11.46 at my 25 was enough for 3rd lady, it’s not a particularly fast course but I went 3-4 minutes faster than my only previous 25 on an equally slow course. I struggled a bit with the position towards the end as I’ve never done a ride that long on the TT bike before. Was glad of the climb near the end for an excuse to get out of the saddle!

Cold but not as windy as last week and it stayed dry so I can’t complain too much.

adsh
    Free Member

Seems a weekend of TTing.

TT on the A420 yesterday pm and I saw NJee20s Strava just now.

If my arthritic wrists continue like this I may be joining you!

mrblobby
    Free Member

umop3pisdn, how did you get on at the Westerley 10? Was meant to be riding but was up all night with one of the kids and just couldn’t do it.

Sporting course, strong winds, potential rain,

Add in freezing temps and that’s the story of my season so far. Bring on the fast courses and the sunny days.

Hjghg5, nice result.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

21:59. Won with 20:21. You didn’t miss much, it was a slow day and bloody freezing!

Jamz
    Free Member

Seems a weekend of TTing.

TT on the A420 yesterday pm and I saw NJee20s Strava just now.

If my arthritic wrists continue like this I may be joining you!

T’was the BUCS 25 mile champs. Were you one of the poor souls driving past or were you riding? Was a very busy afternoon and a narrow road in places. At one point I rode past a caravan heading in the opposite direction that was stuck behind a rider – they had a monumental queue of traffic following!!

Kryton57

Bloody hell njee, your TT was slower than mine, you really need to have a word with yourself! 😀 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

I get the impression he wasn’t that up for it 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Haha! It was forking cold, and 650 foot of climbing in a 10 isn’t really on! Slowest TT I’ve ever done. 28:27, good enough for 8th of 35. Winner did 25:58, 4th was 27:40, so a very slow day!

Kryton57

Pfft excuses. This hasn’t happened before and may not happen ever again. Let me bask in it for a few seconds

We’re going to Wales together soon, I’m pretty sure they’ll be a point made while we are there. 😀

mrblobby
    Free Member

Blimey that is a slow course. Which was it?

njee20
    Free Member

G10/46 I think. Here[/URL]

Obviously I’d have won with a TT bike 😆

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

A bit of a meh lumpy 25 for me on Sunday. Finished my antibiotics and felt ‘worse’ than I did on them – just a bit flat and no top end. Couldn’t make myself ride at threshold so rode tempo the whole way, finished in a 1:11:16, ~5 mins down on my friend who was 3rd – last year she did it on a road bike but this year did it on a tt bike much faster. Took the prize for 1st female on a road bike and 10th female. A tough course for a standard road bike, made up time on the climbs and technical sections. Lost time on the long draggy sections and final 5-7kms where I got hungry and my garmin crashed. However only my 2nd proper TT so not bad all things considered.

Have found a boardman tt bike in the sale that im thinking of buying…my coach says my power profile is a classic tester and I enjoy the sporting 25s so I guess I need to decide if I want to take it a bit more seriously and get a tt bike or stick to road racing!

eshershore
    Free Member

recently custom built this for a customer, it was fitted with his training wheels for his bike fit and indoor training sessions, with Zipp 808 for racing

he was certainly turning a big old chainring during the bike fit to really see what happened to his position under high load, he was very keen to reduce aerodynamic drag with a very aggressive position at the expense of some comfort – as he pointed out all his has to do is collapse at the end, and not run away like a triathlete!

he told me he’s since got some Drag-2-Zero extension bars and made some other changes. found the experience interesting talking to him about racing TT as I didn’t know much apart from seeing the old article and fixing a few TT bikes over the year.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice. I was holding out for one of the new Trinity frames for a while there before I went for my *ahem* budget build. Probably a bit less faff than mine to put together too!

dirtygirlonabike, nice ride. Pretty much every race I do is a bit meh 🙂 Rare are those occasions when you don’t feel there isn’t something you could have done better, I think that’s just a testers lot.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

If we’re doing bikes, I don’t think I’ve posted this yet:

will
    Free Member

Despite being TT sec for my club, and organising this weekend’s open 10 on the F7/10 (Brickendon, Hertfordshire) course I haven’t done a TT yet this year… I tend to do all mine in September and October though, HC season.

Doesn’t stop me wanting a TT bike though.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Cervelol 🙂 Nice bike.

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

Here’s me on my bike, first pic is last year before my accident, second pic was last week with my modified position – I struggle to get my elbows close and low so I’ve raised the rests by about 40mm.

I find the new position more comfortable and any aero losses have been offset my a more stable position and better power delivery. And I know, I’d looked up as the photographer startled me!!

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Liking the bike cyclingweakly, looked the dogs danglies last night at the PETTS. Would love a dedicated TT bike but it took me ages to save up for the supersix, if I came home with another bike I think I’d be thrown own out by er indoors 🙁 I’ll just have to keep putting on the tri bars on the cannondale (at least I’ve got a readymade excuse though 😆 )
    Anyway conditions weren’t great last night, bloody freezing (around 2-3c) with a horrible 15mph headwind for the first 5miles or so. Only trouble is the way the course is laid out we never really got a tailwind to help me back 😥 Managed to do a 23:10 over the 10miles, coming 7th out of 41

Garry_Lager

umop3pisdn – Member

If we’re doing bikes, I don’t think I’ve posted this yet:

Looks like plenty of gis there umop.

I thought I could turn a decent sized gear until I took the fixed to the tens. The old timers didn’t rate 92 as particularly big at all – on the small side if anything.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Happy to not be racing tonight. Cold and windy. Was snowing a bit earlier on 😯

Shall try and get over to H10/8 tomorrow night if I get out of work on time. Otherwise it’ll be another small local club TT with a load of roundabouts and junctions. I really can’t be bothered though when the course instructions look like this…

600865 Start on west side of the A329 at the north edge of a gateway just North of the traffc calming Island 200 yards South of the junction with Papist Way. 0
    604880 Go north on the A329 to the Winterbrook E roundabout 1.694
    603881 Take the first exit onto the A4130 to the Winterbrook W roundabout 1.776
    593891 Take the second exit to continue on A4130 to the Hithercroft roundabout 2.635
    592891 Take the second exit to continue on A4130 to the Slade End roundabout 3.602
    593891 Circle the roundabout to retrace on A4130 to the Hithercroft roundabout 4.537
    603881 Take the second exit to continue on he A4130 to Winterbrook W roundabout 5.428
    593891 Circle the roundabout and retrace to Hithercroft roundabout. 6.349
    592891 Continue on A4130 to Slade End roundabout. 7.309
    593891 Circle roundabout and retrace on A4130 to Hithercroft roundabout 8.243
    603881 Continue on A4130 to Winterbrook W roundabout 9.134
    604880 Continue on A4130 to Winterbrook E roundabout 9.197
    604873 Take the third exit onto the A329 and go to the finish 25 yards before the footpath sign to Thames Path and 130 yards before the junction to Caps Lane. The finish is marked on the back of the crash barier in red paint.
    604873 10

I’m going to need to take a map! 🙄

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Looks like plenty of gis there umop.

57/14, so about 107″. Was going to put the 60t on for 112, but my chain wasn’t long enough!

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

Liking the bike cyclingweakly, looked the dogs danglies last night at the PETTS. Would love a dedicated TT bike but it took me ages to save up for the supersix, if I came home with another bike I think I’d be thrown own out by er indoors…

Thanks Andy, I don’t think you need a dedicated TT bike with those times!! The Argon stands me at around 1500 quid, so not a cheap “N+1” but not too costly… That’s with Deng Fu wheels which are great for the money.

I’m just working on general fitness at the moment and off to Majorca next week – I’m planning to do some more TT specific training when I get back and hopefully start putting in some respectable times.

Jamz
    Free Member

Thanks Andy, I don’t think you need a dedicated TT bike with those times!! The Argon stands me at around 1500 quid, so not a cheap “N+1” but not too costly… That’s with Deng Fu wheels which are great for the money.

I’m just working on general fitness at the moment and off to Majorca next week – I’m planning to do some more TT specific training when I get back and hopefully start putting in some respectable times.

You could loose more than a handful of seconds just by getting your head down as low as possible. In both of those photos it’s sticking out like a sore thumb!

jb89
    Free Member

Shall try and get over to H10/8 tomorrow night if I get out of work on time. Otherwise it’ll be another small local club TT with a load of roundabouts and junctions. I really can’t be bothered though when the course instructions look like this

It’s not actually as bad as it sounds, there’s several variants of the course on the Wallingford bypass and they’re all quite nice.

I’e gone quicker on a slightly different variant of it that has 14 roundabouts than I have on the H10/22! Good road and quiet so roundabouts aren’t.

However, seeing as you’re quick, and my legs are tired today, I don’t think you should turn up…:D

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’m trying to work out when the VTTA events are on this year, but the website has nothing and my email didn’t get a reply.

Actually the website is worse than nothing, they actually have a report of a recent event so I know it’s being updated and some stuff is going on, but there’s nothing listed on the calendar.

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

You could loose more than a handful of seconds just by getting your head down as low as possible. In both of those photos it’s sticking out like a sore thumb!

I could really do with a good side-on photo, but the toggers never seem to take those sort of pics! The first one is on a roundabout, so I’m having a bit of a look round, and on the second one, I just saw someone out of the corner of my eye stepping out of the hedge so was a bit startled!!

My revised position (pic 2) allows more shrugging/turtling, so head position is probably better now.

hjghg5
    Free Member

Not sure whether I’m riding tonight – first club TT of the season but the weather forecast is horrendous and the organiser has said it will be cancelled if what they have predicted actually arrives. If I do ride it will mainly be to refamiliarise myself with the course – I’ll be on a road bike in full on winter kit. The skinsuit and TT bike can wait til it gets a bit warmer!

(plus points are allocated depending on how much you improve your time so starting with a slow one isn’t necessarily a bad thing :wink:)

mrblobby
    Free Member

However, seeing as you’re quick, and my legs are tired today, I don’t think you should turn up…:D

🙂 Well that course is next week which I definitely cannot do. Was going to be the DPCC Sires Hill one today, another roundabout fest, but looking at the forecast I really can’t be bothered. I may just head out on the road bike this afternoon.

Is bloody frustrating having put in a heap of work over winter, and to be in pretty good form, only to have crap conditions, cancelled races and slow courses 😐

I’m trying to work out when the VTTA events are on this year, but the website has nothing and my email didn’t get a reply.

You could just trawl through the event list on the cyclingtimetrials website for VTTA events. London and Home Counties is 2nd May on F11/10, closed for entries now.

DT78
    Free Member

Okay as we are doing a critique my position….thanks to the sotonia chap who took the photo. This is my 2nd TT with the clips bolted on to existing road position. Look okay? Any advice? Feels pretty comfy for 1.5hrs or so. Thought about lowering the stem but my knees hit my elbows (and yes I know I shouldn’t be looking at the garmin)

[/url]TT position by darren_thorp, on Flickr[/img]

TiRed

Saddle up and forward as far as it will go on the rails, bars lower to compensate. Think rotate your whole body position about the BB by 5-10 degrees. If it is comfy for 1.5 hours, it is not right 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

I suspect if you were to post it on TTF then the comments would be along the lines of needing a bit more forward rotation of the pelvis with saddle forwards and up a bit, which should let you get the bars a bit lower too, aim being to get you a flatter back and lower torso.

Edit… basically what TiRed said. It won’t be comfy and you’ll probably be down on power, but it’ll probably be quicker.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Thanks mrblobby, feeling a bit stupid now, I had found the cyclingtimetrials site towards the end of last season but forgot it over the winter…not been TTing seriously for a few decades (well I was never that serious really, but I used to do them a bit).

jb89
    Free Member

Did the H10/15. Got stuck at a a roundabout for 30 seconds, prior to which my base bar had come loose at mile 2, and would only stay still riding full preying mantis or pointing to the ground. Gave up around mile 7 and trundled to the finish.

Got soaked as well, should of stayed at home!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sounds a bit rubbish, glad I stayed at home! Off to try and work out who you are from the results sheet… 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘2016 TT'ing thread’ is closed to new replies.