• This topic has 499 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jb89.
Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 500 total)
  • 2016 TT'ing thread
  • premier
    Free Member

Haha spotted that earlier and accepted, dont tend to use strava that much as a social thing more so I can compare things – some useful bits for TTs like the comparisons so you can see where your lose/ gain time!

sturdylad
    Free Member

It’s the North Bucks RC club 10 to be more precise – any and all are welcome! See here for more info:

NBRC Website

I’m planning on being there, and also testing new kit, but it’s a disc wheel in my case, not a whole new bike unfortunately

See you there hopefully!

rusty90
    Free Member

V718 ? Fast course I’m led to believe!

Marcin Bialoblocki has just smashed the 10 mile Comp Record on the V718 with a time of 16.35.
    Yes, that’s not a typo – 16.35! Mental.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

25 mile he gone as well 44:04

rusty90
    Free Member

And latest news is that Marcin has taken the 25 record today with a 44:04 in the Port Talbot Wheelers event. Two comp records in one weekend.

[edit] Beaten to it by dirtyrider. That’s what happens when your Internet Packets arrive on the back of a pony.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

16:35 equals just over 36mph 8O, James Gullen also broke the previous record the same day. Premiere off here also did a storming ride I’m lead to believe as well 😉
    Two more events left for me, a 10 at Levans (L1015) this Sunday then a 25 the following Sunday. Conditions look promising this Sunday (although I’m one of the first off so won’t be getting much help from passing traffic 👿 ) so I’m hoping to finish off my 10 mile distances with a PB, especially since I’ve been kindly loaned this bad boy :

Managed 21:27 on my cannondale with clip ons so hopefully I’ll better this.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

What kind of wattage are we talking for going sub-21? And I’m not talking a fast course, like Levens supposedly is.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

mtbtomo – Member
    What kind of wattage are we talking for going sub-21? And I’m not talking a fast course, like Levens supposedly is.

Only done Levans the once and attained my PB (by only 3secs though, conditions weren’t the best I was told on the night) doing 344w I’m a rather portly 82kg atm though 😳

matts
    Free Member

I’m hoping to finish off my 10 mile distances with a PB, especially since I’ve been kindly loaned this bad boy :

Well??? ❓

Anyone got entries in for HC events yet?

I’ve finally got round to entering Catford this year. It’s been on my bucket list for years, but the only time I previously sent off an entry it got stuck in a postal strike. Hopefully they let me in, as I don’t have any open hill climb results in the last 3 years.

I’ve also entered the ECCA HC champs again (was 2nd last time I rode it by only 0.5 seconds over combined time for 2 runs. grrr. 😡 ), and I have a place on the Urban Hill Climb event on 1st October – http://www.urbanhillclimb.com/. If anyone has some spare time on that afternoon, it’s quite a good thing to watch.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Try plugging some numbers into http://www.analyticcycling.com/ it’ll give you some ballpark figures.

premier
    Free Member

Last TT of the year done and dusted for me, thought I’d done loads but 4 x 10s 2 X 25 1×50 and 1 x100 isn’t a lot! Been nice to do pbs at 10 and 25 this year, particularly the ten as it’s probably the first time I’ve got a good day on a fast course and got everything right.

Couple of weeks on the track then holiday time!

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Anyone got entries in for HC events yet?

Reading double yesterday, Leith next week, then Catford/Bec and hopefully the national.

matts
    Free Member

How did you get on?

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Not as well as I look – faster than last year but so was everyone else. Hillclimbs are mostly just a bit of fun/fashion show for me.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

matts – Member
    I’m hoping to finish off my 10 mile distances with a PB, especially since I’ve been kindly loaned this bad boy :
    Well???

Although I got a PB 21:09 (knocking 20sec off my previous best) it was a bit of a catalogue of disasters! I was hoping to sneak under the 21mark using his Avenger. Tried it out on his turbo trainer on the Friday when I picked it up and it felt OK fit wise, took it out on the road Saturday and it was a different story. It didn’t feel good at all, just couldn’t get it to fit right. This probably more to do with me getting used to the position rather than the bike though. Anyway Sunday morning I turned up, did a warm up then set off to the start line. I underestimated how long it would take me to get there and ended up sprinting to the start so my legs were on fire before I’d even started, schoolboy error!! Anyway once I’d finished I also noticed my seatpost had dropped 20mm. If everything had gone smoothly I’m pretty certain I’d of gotten my sub 21 but hay ho, these things happen ! I’ll live and learn that’s for certain 🙂
    Got one more ride on it next Sunday (a 25 near where I live) so I’ll get out on it this week to make some more adjustments.

matts
    Free Member

Oh dear.

Well at least it’ll keep that burning motivation through the winter to come back next season and really smash your PB.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

matts – Member
    Oh dear.
    Well at least it’ll keep that burning motivation through the winter to come back next season and really smash your PB.

Really hoping to Matts ! In fact I’m looking forward to my mid week winter turbo workouts this year, hoping to hit the ground running come spring.
    Bit of a wright up on my last event this year that I did last Sunday, the NLTTA 25. Unfortunately due to roadworks it was reduced to a 10, bit of a bummer because I’ve only done the one 25 and was looking forward to doing another, especially on the Avenger I was lent (see my previous post). I mentioned that I couldn’t seem to get the fit just right to its owner so I called round to his house to tweek things a little, raising the arm rests, changing over bars to ski bars, moving the saddle forward slightly and changing the front wheel to a tri spoke.

Had to say it made a massive difference, felt much more comfortable.
    How did I do ? Well once again I made a couple of stupid errors. Set off really well then about halfway in for some stupid reason I convinced myself I’d missed a turn and nearly came to a stop to turn round, realised I hadn’t and set off again 😳 Then my saddle slipped due to me not tightening it up enough. Arrgghh ! You can see how bad it was on this picture someone took whilst I was sprinting out of a corner :

Anyway I did a 22:38 in pretty horrible, wet and sketchy conditions. Coming 10th out of 99 riders. Comparing my strava times to others on the day I lost 12-15 seconds “getting lost” and gawd knows how much due to the saddle issue (I was continually having to move my fat arse back for the last 4miles) Mad at myself because it was all my own doing. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail as they say !

premier
    Free Member

Ah nightmare! Never nice when stuff like that happens! Some of the seatpost clamps can be a pain, the cervelo ones have fine splines but the Far East bikes don’t – try some carbon paste maybe. Looks like a nice bike though! Decent ride, there’s normally a big turn out for them! Time to get a tt bike for next year then!

matts
    Free Member

Anyone riding the Urban Hill Climb on Saturday?

Home

matts
    Free Member

Did OK in the UHC. 9th with a 1:32. 2nd to 10th separated by just over a second. Winner (Isaac Mundy) was in a world of hist own, winning by 10 seconds with a 1:21. I slightly misjudged the effort and really died in the last 50yds.

If you’d have told me last week I’d take 15 seconds off my 2012 time and make the top ten I’d have taken it in an instant. (Hell, if you told me that last winter when I was 10Kg overweight and having just had the cast taken off my arm I would’ve thought you were mad.) But I’m slightly disappointed, which will hopefully spur me on for a good winter’s training, and a proper tilt at next season.

ECCA next Sat and hopefully Catford on Sun.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/MG8WqR]BZ2O8871[/url] by Pix online, on Flickr

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice work matts.

matts
    Free Member

then Catford/Bec and hopefully the national.

I wish I was off after 11. 10:12 start time for me. Gonna be an early morning. 🙁

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

See you there. Though I’ve just had 12 days off the bike and I’ve lost absolutely all my top end so just getting to the top will be an achievement.

matts
    Free Member

Nightmare. 🙁

I’m not sure how I’ll go. I haven’t ridden York’s hill for probably 10 years, so I’m going to have to ride to a best-guess effort of how long it might take me. There were 2 guys in the UHC with the same time as me who did it in 2:05/2:10 in 2014. Given there looks like a headwind on Sunday, I might set off at a 2:20ish power and ramp up at the end. IIRC it just gets steeper and steeper, so it would be better to ramp up rather than taper off??

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Yeah definitely. Fixed is good for this, my gear will be a bit too low at the start which helps you keep a lid on things.

matts
    Free Member

What gear are you planning on using? I was thinking maybe setting off in a 48′ ratio. IIRC when Jamie Lowden won it he used 39/20, which is a 52′.

matts
    Free Member

How was it? I was planning to stick around and say hi, but I got orders from the boss to get back asap to look after the sprogs or the afternoon.

Mixed feelings from my side, I thought I rode OK considering I’ve had a horrid cold all week. I set a new 2 minute power PB, with a slight negative split. But I was pretty disappointed with my time. At the UHC last week there were a big bunch of us within a couple of seconds including Ewan Tuohy, Bill Bell, Will Adams, and Sonny Parker. This week, they all beat me easily.

Saturday was a right balls up. The ECCA course includes a small downhill and some tight corners. I didn’t go hard enough on the first section, and ended up with a rubbish average power. When riding back to HQ I reached down for a drink and.. yes, I had a full bottle in the cage! Pissed off, I went off to warm down, packed the car, then went in to say thanks to everyone. Astonishingly, I was second by less than a second. The second time I’ve ridden it, and the second time I’ve been second by that margin. Gutting. But let that be a lesson to myself in preparing properly.

Next year, Vets.

cchris2lou

I struggle to get up York hill, no way I could race it.
    Well done.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Anyone been watching the men’s U23 ITT at the Worlds? Won by this guy…

https://twitter.com/CyclingHubTV/status/785404511439421441

How many seconds do we think that was worth? 🙂

matts
    Free Member

LOL. That’s the amateur U23 champs, amirite?

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

It went as well as it could have gone, I’ve been on holiday and had 12 days off the bike so lost all my form. Got a cool picture though:

gray

Nice photo! You need to tilt it a bit so that it looks steeper though. 🙂

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Trust me, it’s steep at that point!

matts
    Free Member

Damn right it is!

I was amused by the writing on the road that said ‘Empty It’. I was already cross-eyed and running on fumes by that point.

I didn’t register this one, though. LOL

I need to buy the photo of me by Dave Hayward

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Just been looking at position on my TT bike and a few (well lots) photos on the web. It seems that most people have their elbows well in front of the headtube when they are on the arm rests, or up to 3cm in front depending if they’re strictly adhering to CTT rules.

My elbows are in line with the centre of the headtube or might even be behind it if I tweak some more.

I’ve ridden it a couple of times like that as I’ve looked to make my position more sustainable, and indeed I did a PB (both time and power) with the altered set up. Should I be looking to get further forward like it seems 99% of other people are or if it works for me should I even worry?

matts
    Free Member

Firstly, what do you mean by “centre of the headtube”? The stem top cap bolt head? (the steering axis). The design of TT frames can have quite a large effect on things here. Some bikes, such as the Pina Bolide, have a fairing part of the fork in front of headtube.

However the main thing is that you need to choose a frame that will allow you to get the correct drop and reach. For sponsored teams, this can sometime be a trade-off as they only have varying sizes of a single TT frame, so they normally have to go for the one that allows the correct drop, and adjust the reach to suit.

For many people, they don’t ride a TT bike that was selected based on their fit. They often buy on other criteria such as, cost, what’s their fav pro rides, what got the best results in Tour mag test last month, etc.

Sometimes you might buy a bike based on your current position, and then a couple of years down the line you want to get lower as you get better at riding in the TT position. This change will normally also require a change to the reach.

Unless you are compromising the handling of the bike, then don’t fret it.

Elbows over the head tube don’t seem to bother this guy.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Tony Martin is limited by UCI regulations.

There’s a reason people break the 3cm rule, and it’s not making them slower. Saddle to pad drop isn’t the be all and end all.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Yeah, I meant steering axis. My TT bike has a normal head tube with no fairing. I wanted a bit more stack at the time, and if I do more TT’s then I guess I will more likely go lower and longer, so I should be able to adjust in the right direction. Handling seems fine.

matts
    Free Member

There’s a reason people break the 3cm rule, and it’s not making them slower.

Maybe.

For you, I presume you’re doing Chung testing to dial in your position. But even this relies on the assumption that you hold the position for the duration of the TT. There’s no point in having a great static position if it can’t be held when you start to tire. You have experience, and spend a lot of time on the bike.

Tony Martin is limited by UCI regulations.

And the rest of us are limited by our legs. 😆

matts
    Free Member

BTW. I noticed you got a place in the Nationals. Good luck!

The start order has some in for some serious criticism. Seems like a right cock up.

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘2016 TT'ing thread’ is closed to new replies.