Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 2016 TdF road closure question
  • russianbob
    Free Member

Would any of you know how long before the race the roads get closed for the Tour de France. A few of us are planning a flying (driving) visit for stage 20 (Col du Joux Plan). Hopefully, if all goes according to plan, we should arrive near the Col by lunchtime on the Friday. The Tour will go through some time Saturday afternoon, are we fools?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

It depends. Last year around Saint Sorlin, Croix de Fer, La Touissaire etc, we found them very inconsistent. Some wouldn’t let you even ride a bike on the day of the race even though it would be 6,7, 8 hours even before the race came through.

Will probably partly depend how busy it is.

bikebouy
    Free Member

No, you are not.

Normally 5-6 hrs before the riders go through is when they close off the roads. There is a lot to shift, the event train and marshalling to put in place. Once through though it’s only about an hour before the roads are open again.

You do have to factor in mountain stages where sometimes they close the roads off days in advance…

russianbob
    Free Member

Thanks chaps. It is a mountain stage so if worst comes to worst I guess we could park up in/near Les Gets and get a chair up to the Col. I assume the chairs will be running for MTBers anyway.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The chairs will run but they will be very busy, not everyone will want to walk up a closed road for 10k before they collapse. Just prepare for a bit of a wait, a queue, drunk Dutchman and take food and drink.

Be a laugh, the crowds are rowdy, enthusiastic, friendly and if you are near the Dutch then expect beer and lots of it.

Huge fun, enjoy.

hammerite
    Free Member

We went to three stages last year in and around St Jean du Maurienne, I agree with mtbtomo, they can be very inconsistent with access to the roads the race will be on. However, what I found surprising was how easy it is to get close the the route without there being any hint of traffic.

Last year we checked out all sorts of permutations for parking and riding in. We ended up driving to within a couple of hundred metres of the route each day. (I was with Jnr and the OH and it was about 40c most days, hence the reason for not just cycling everywhere).

On one of the days we were stopped from riding up the climb to La Toussuire. We had to dump our bikes and walk up. But as we had no lock we just waited where we were a bit disappointed. As it was even though we were only about 1km up the climb they were already riding pretty slowly and well spread out. Bonus then was we were low enough down to make it to a big screen and watch the finale even after the whole race and support vehicles had gone through.

russianbob
    Free Member

Thanks, original plan would be to drive up to the Col the day before the race comes through with supplies (cheese, wine, saucison, baguette) and then bivvy up there, trip down the chairs into Les Gets or Morzine the morning of the next day for brekkie, back up watch the race then either stay and bivvy again or head off after the race has gone through depending on how many of us have indulged.

Though this being the penultimate day I guess they may stop people from driving up earlier than the day before.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You might be lucky, have you thought about driving up the opposite side of the mountain and not the route the riders will be taking? I did that last year in the Vosges and missed loads of traffic (but I know the area well) took blinking ages to get back down mind, 300+ motorhomes and scores of cars but what a blast watching 100’s of cyclist blasting downhill whilst following them..

All I would now add is relax, you’ll no doubt get held up in a queue at some point but there’s no point in loosing your temper, if you get my gist.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘2016 TdF road closure question’ is closed to new replies.