Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 2016 MOUNTAIN BIKE PRICES?
  • johnas7
    Free Member

just out of interest, does anyone know when the 2016 models start going down in price? is it usually from april onwards or a bit later on in the year.

drovercycles
    Free Member

It varies widely by brand and is all down to supply and demand.

This year, far too many bikes were on the market, in general (at least from the mainstream brands) and consumer confidence wasn’t great; bike shops were holding back on ordering, and manufacturers and distributors were left overstocked – this resulted in big discounts early in the season (yes, from around April in some cases). Once one does it, others will be forced to follow suit.

Next year, I would expect to see far more cautious forecasting. There won’t be as many shops around, but those that there are may feel that they need to order more/sooner. That, combined with manufacturers making less and distributors ordering less, MIGHT mean fewer discounts early in the season. There’ll probably be less availability too. If there are few bikes left, thre won’t be the same level of discounts.

So the answer is… it depends.

rOcKeTdOg

One one? About 2 seconds after you’ve bought something full price usually

cokie

Depends entirely on the company! Some 2016 stock won’t be out until April ’16, whilst others have had 2016 bikes out for a good 6+ months now. It’s a case of follow the bike that you want and noting when the new range is going to be released.

johnas7
    Free Member

cheers for the replys, was just wondering as got my first full suss begining of 2013, was the specialized camber 29er, was £1500 but a locoal shop had a week sale on and had reduced it to £1200 so got that. Then someone i knew got the same bike 4 months later in april and paid £1500 for it, which was the full price, so i got a decent deal. I’m After a new better full suss now and wasnt sure if i should look at getting one jan/feb or maybes waiting till april/may incase some have gone down in price. want it for going back to the alps end of june. 🙂

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Bike sells are well down worse they have been since 2010.So you might find some good deals by then.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you want a bargain look at the 2015 bikes, forecasting a sale is tough as it all depends on what happens, what works and what sells.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Depends on the bike, but with us it’s usually end of July at the earliest as thats when the following year’s models start to be announced (not released, but details announced) Some 2016’s won’t even arrive on the first drop until March/April!

Rorschach
    Free Member

With masses of 2015 stock still sat round unsold I’d wait until after Christmas and then make stupid offers on what you want.I know of a few shops just looking to turn old stock back into cash at cost.
    If 2016 is another year like this one then there will be quite a few less shops about 😕

scaredypants

If 2016 is another year like this one then there will be quite a few less shops about

I hadn’t realised sales were so bad this past year – I wasn’t really in the market anyway but if I was I still would’ve waited a year or so until all the daft new standards sorted themselves out.

Hopefully “the industry” has stopped meddling and shops can recover a bit this time round

eshershore
    Free Member

@scaredypants

the probable reason for poor sales of new bikes is that customers just don’t want / need new bikes, and are buying upgrades for existing bikes (i.e. new wheels or dropper post).

modern bikes are damn good, and don’t need replacing every season!

There are too many shops selling the same stock to the same pool of customers; its often been said in the bike industry that we are just selling different bikes to the same group of enthusiasts, there was an increase in this group as former golfers turned to sportive cycling, but there is not a massive driver

the real ‘boom’ in bicycle sales will not be from the next innovation (i.e. gravel bikes – again, sold to same enthusiasts) but when our obsession with sports bicycles becomes second to the needs of regular people wanting sensible bicycles for transport.

this is taking time, as new infrastructure is built to support safer cycling (removing the fear factor for non enthusiasts) you could see a big increase in transport bike sales

if you visit European countries, you will find most bike shops sell regular city bikes, baskets, locks, lights rather than “sports bicycles” and lycra race gear

amedias
    Free Member

the real ‘boom’ in bicycle sales will not be from the next innovation but when our obsession with sports bicycles becomes second to the needs of regular people wanting sensible bicycles for transport.

never a truer word spoken

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I think it is a lot of things as said above you just cant get a fair price for your secondhand stuff so a lot of people I know just keep what they have got for many more years kills the market you buy a bike £2k 6months down the road they are selling it for £1200 new so you end up with sweet FA for your secondhand one.Hay Ho winners and losers.

5thElefant
    Free Member

regular people wanting sensible bicycles for transport.

When was that? 1950?

Rorschach
    Free Member

the real ‘boom’ in bicycle sales will not be from the next innovation but when our obsession with sports bicycles becomes second to the needs of regular people wanting sensible bicycles for transport.

He ain’t wrong.It’s just a shame the manufactures seem obsessed at selling ever more expensive and different versions of basically the same bike to an ever dwindling number of customers.

benpinnick

Interesting to hear shops have suffered a bit this year – hope its not too bad. I think 2015 will definitely not be a vintage year for bike ranges though. Far too much + stuff, not enough real value. I recently saw the start list for a race, where bikes are (generally) recorded. Biggest manufacturer there was YT. Times have changed and I think there’s a bit of flapping going on TBH among the big manufacturers. They thought they could be smart and try and predict a new trend before it happened with plus, but it’s falling pretty flat on its face I think. You don’t see many out on the trails given how many models went on sale this year. Maybe I am wrong but its definitely feeling like a lot of companies will be scratching out the + models for 2017 and instead adopting wider ‘regular’ tyres and rims…. you know like people have been doing for ages now – the same way we all ran 1x long before it came out ‘officially’.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘2016 MOUNTAIN BIKE PRICES?’ is closed to new replies.