Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 2016: Fox 34's V Rockshox Pikes
  • applesandoranges
    Free Member

Hi, the five im getting a great deal on comes with fox 34″s and bot the pikes:(.

Jusy wondering how the 34s compare. my main go for with forks is reliabilty because i am not good with suspension and I know regular servcing can be expensive.

Which fork is better for heavier riders?
    Also how does the fox 36’s compare.

Just if the pikes are “a lot” better, i can get good money for my 16 34s and get a pair of pikes secondhand.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I rode a pals Five with 34’s on, they felt ace.

I’m not tech enough to say why, they did just feel great. Nicer than my Dvo diamonds, I was well miffed.

Dango
    Free Member

Are the fox CTD versions? If so I’d avoid. Pikes are great forks if you can find a deal, very easy to home maintain and IMO will require a little less servicing than FOX

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Are the fox CTD versions?

Assuming it is the 2016 version, it won’t be CTD, it will be Fit4 which are a world away from the old CTD forks.
    Very very little to choose between the 2016 Pikes & 34s (unlike 2015 and before). Fox’s will be a touch lighter and slightly better damping, RS will be a touch stiffer perhaps. I don’t believe there is much difference in service intervals on the 2016 models either. The differences are certainly not enough that it is worth paying money to swap from one to the other.

I went for the 34s on my build last year over the Pikes and no regrets.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Thanks from what i heard think ill just stick with the 34s. Suprised that they are not much diffrent when the orange pro has 34s and tbe RS has pikes. Specially when you consider how much more expensive the rs is.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Maybe the 34s are the ‘performance’ version rather than the ‘factory’ ones which have better damping?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

My 34`s have improved with age, I scratched the kashima on ride 2 back in 2013, I was advised to increase the servicing or replace the csu, Ive done neither and they have been as good as gold for the last 3 years, a fox oil and seal service takes me about 60 mins, theres no need to rush when its pissing down and the mrs is watching shit on the telly.

takisawa2

My Five (2015, last of the mk1’s), came with the upgraded “factory” 34’s.
    I’m not convinced they are as good as Pikes. They have got better with age but the difference between the CTD modes all but disappeared after about a dozen rides. Five rides after a warranty re-build & it’s gone again, I am a heavy chap but had I paid £700 for them I’d be mighty pissed off.
    Maybe it’s me but no matter how much I tune them I just can’t get them to soak up small bumps well.
    I doubt I’ll change them, I don’t ride it enough.
    It only tends to come out for trips to Bike Park Wales.
    I can’t fault them in terms of stiffness though, they certainly don’t feel flexy.

wl
    Free Member

Pikes for me. Can’t believe Fox will come close to RS for service-free reliability over a couple of years including winter rides. Pikes also feel great (although perhaps 34s do too, especially the posh ones).

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I had 2014 34s on my last bike which were pretty average before I spent £200+ at Mojo tweaking them, and after that they were great. Super plush and plenty stiff enough. My new bike has Pikes and although I haven’t had time to do much fiddling yet, my initial thoughts are that I prefer the 34s. Much more supple at the top of the travel. Mine were the posh Kashima factory ones and as above, the CTD dial was pretty poor, but I don’t think you’ll go wrong either way.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Seems to me like its very 50 50 between the two.

Can’t believe Fox will come close to RS for service-free reliability over a couple of years including winter rides

I agree 100% with that I cant imagine fox forks will be as bullet proof. I had a set of Rebas on my first decent mtb i jist sold.

Quite literally had them 4 years, only were 100mil, i am heavy. Pounded them hard and they have only ever had 1 seal replaced. All i did in service was fork juce and clean and they are still faultess nearly 5 years later. Apart from the lil blue switch has no paint left on and is has went stiff.

Just to confirm the forks on my next bike are the 2016 fox 34 performance. Hope the performance aint the dodgey ones.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘2016: Fox 34's V Rockshox Pikes’ is closed to new replies.