Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • 2016 – A Year in Mountains
  • faustus

Matt – Yes indeed, if not more! The goals for 2017 are going to be about places travelled and pictures taken, not just a mileage target as it has sometimes swerved towards in recent years.

matt_outandabout

He who has most fun wins? 8)

jambalaya
    Free Member

@munro thanks

dukeduvet

I really enjoy these posts. So much so that last year I was inspired and made riding a proper mountain a must do. Living in Edinburgh plenty of options not far away.

Ah well never happened! Enjoyed reading this though.

Dave
    Free Member

Nice one Luke.

Top inspiration for anyone wanting to get into the mountains. It’s partly what nudged us to do the Mountain Journal, which led on to RADventure.CC

ipark
    Free Member

Hi folks. Some great mountain rides there. Anyone done the Cairngorm 4000ers in winter. Here’s some inspiration hopefully.

[/url] [/img]

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ace thread again Luke!.

Had thought Goatfell a few weeks back was the last mountain of the year, but this mild spell is keeping the snow away, so think I’m gonna manage a wee blast of Ben Lomond tomoro.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Dave, I was wondering what had happened to the mountain journals. They were a great read.

Ipark- I have done Ben Lawers in those conditions before. It is fun but getting it right so there is some snow but not enough to need mountaineering gear is tricky at this time of year (although with this mild weather maybe not).

Dave
    Free Member

Cheers, they were good to do and we’re glad we’ve got the opportunity to continue with more articles like them on our own site now.

munrobiker
    Free Member

As an aside, did you enjoy your gravel bike ride today (we drove past you, I’m not hiding in your bins).

Dave
    Free Member

Yeah. First proper outing for the Niners, were you visiting Rob then?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Yes, for beer, not bikes, though. I’m too ill for bikes again, so while I’d like to sneak in something like Nobeer is planning I don’t think it’s going to happen.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ben Lomond was ‘interesting’ yesterday!.

Summit was clear all the way up the side of the loch, set off at 9am, by the time we got to the shelter of a big stone at 760m it was 70mph sidewinds, with razorwire intermittent showers.

Decided going any higher was a bit on the irresponsible side, so descended back down from there. I’d forgotten how much of a great descent it is, just keeps going and going! The ‘sanitation’ at the bottom is a bit of a shame, it’s all hardpack and drop offs from the middle deerfence down now, but it’s still fun, and it’s not as though you don’t get enough tech up on the hill.

If this mild weather continues, I might pop up again on saturday for another attempt.

mactheknife

Nobeer, i will be heading up at some point next week if there is a weather window and i can slip my misses some sleeping pills to stop her obsessing over christmas shopping.

Has the bottom section been ruined then, I love that section?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Pretty much so, it’s had the carn ban mor treatment from the middle deer fence down. The big rocky monolith has had some real steep pitched stone just after it too, which is unrideable (for me anyway)

Sadly, I hear reports that Ben Ledi has had the same treatment, but much more extensively.

munrobiker
    Free Member

70mph sidewinds, with razorwire intermittent showers.

Ugh, been there, done that. The rain’s always a bit rubbish but at least it’s bearable but nothing puts the brakes on a day in the hills like wind.

chickenman

Some stuff in Scotland folk may not know about.
    The mile of perfect bedrock descent in Fisherfield; harder than it looks lower down.
    [/url]DSCN0685 by rick.campbell, on Flickr[/img][/url]DSCN0681 by rick.campbell, on Flickr[/img][/url]DSCN0684 by rick.campbell, on Flickr[/img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8279/29056149600_c5f5d8da12_k.jpg" alt="" title="" class="bbcode-image" />[/url]DSCN1016 by rick.campbell, on Flickr[/img]https://c5.staticflickr.com/9/8899/29055925380_102275a0e0_k.jpg" alt="" title="" class="bbcode-image" />[/url]DSCN1251 by rick.campbell, on Flickr[/img]Funky scree patch
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/9/8008/28722177153_80a9d45db0_z.jpg" alt="" title="" class="bbcode-image" />[/url]DSCN1254 by rick.campbell, on Flickr[/img]
    Sgor Dearg stalkers path down to Gaick Lodge as part of doing the pass S-N then back along the Wade Rd/Phones/Loch Cuaich + up Bogha-Cloiche.

Carn a Mhaim.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/KL8nBi]DSCN1034[/url] by rick.campbell, on Flickr .

Sanny
    Free Member

Ben Ledi is still great!

Carn a mhaim is a great shout. The only issue is which way do you go when the ridge descent finishes? I carried up onto MacDui. 8)

honeybadgerx

bookmarked for 2017 plans!

chickenman

I went up Macdui too: An easy carry if you’re in a post brexit rage like I was (and if you spiral up rightwards up the grass rather that the boulder field).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ben Ledi is still great!

Not according to Pete Scullions instarant it’s not!

richpips
    Free Member

A couple from a recent trip of ours to the Lakes.

Skiddaw and Helvellyn in a day.

A few more on our blog. http://minipips.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/a-day-out-in-lakes.html

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Fantastic stuff Luke/munrobiker

Love these annual posts. Very inspiring. Another one to bookmark as a reference. Keep up the good work.

Si
    Free Member

Luke, hola next time you’re Lakeland way. I have a few additions I keep saying I could show you…

munrobiker
    Free Member

Si, I will do, I promise! I’m often up there with friends who have plans prepared which is why I’ve not given you a shout yet but I will try and get up there on my own one day soon.

Nobeerinthefridge- that’s a shame if Ledi’s trashed. I’d been meaning to get Pete to take me up there for a couple of years as I’ve been up in the area regularly but the weather’s never been right. It’d be a bit sad if I’d missed the best of it.

Richpips- that’s all pretty amazing! I bet minipips is able to ride up far more than I can now.

billyboy
    Free Member

You might just have outdone Singletrack Magazine!

Brilliant

fathomer

Can’t believe I missed this last week, as the previous years I’ve seen, brilliant! 😀

I’m now sitting at work, with not a lot to do, wishing I was up a mountain or big hill with my bike.

matt_outandabout

wishing I was up a mountain or big hill with my bike

With the lack of snow so far, I think I may drag two oab_boys up a Munro on Sunday…

devs
    Free Member

So I log in to see if there are any strathpuffer threads and find this one with pics of me! Great stuff munrobiker. We’ll do the bigger loop next time, you’d love it. This thread has made me more determined to do more big mountain days. I kinda take them for granted and don’t spend enough time out exploring them.

leffeboy

That is crazy inspirational. Set to read at leisure while I smack myself for being a slouch

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘2016 – A Year in Mountains’ is closed to new replies.