• This topic has 292 replies, 61 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by paton.
Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 293 total)
  • 2016-17 CX racing thread
  • ferrals
    Free Member

Cheers Jon, no not coming for curry, might make xmas eve ride if there is one?

Numbers in seniors seemed lower than last year too – still 40 odd most races though. I don’t mind the prices but think we just need consistnency, if we’re using chips then lets have them every race and keep prices constant

RoterStern
    Free Member

We had the last race of the series in this part of Germany last weekend in Chemnitz. It is the tradional last race of the series and is a pretty technical course. This year even more so as they had to change a large part of it becuase of building work in the outdoor velodrome. It was an absolute mud fest and one of the guys from my team managed to win it on a singlespeed cross bike with the third place also a singlespeed…that’s how muddy it was. I managed to roll part of my rear tub off the rim but still was able to finish 9th. Here is a video of the first lap if anyone is interested.[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNacJPd5dTo[/video]

IdleJon

I don’t mind the prices but think we just need consistnency,

That probably says it better than I have! See you on Xmas eve – it’s on the forum, it’ll be a Rob classic. (People being washed away in swollen rivers, overgrown footpaths and MUD!) 9.30 at Bishopston Community Centre, I think but check the details.

TiRed

Rode Crossmass V40. Nice course but I had a pinch flat on Lap 2 riding down the bridge due to the rungs! Rode a lap with a flat front tyre, including descending the steep side of the bridge (on the rim!), caught a lip and went down hard, so discretion being the better part of valour, I bailed after two laps. Looking at the results, my hope of a top 20 place was well-founded 🙁 .

Probably won’t ride any more as unlikely to register four finishes. Need some tubeless or tubs I guess. Bah! At least yesterday’s road races went better.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Tired, sorry I missed you and there were a lot of punctures and mechanicals. I went for pre-planned bike swaps for the first time ever which seemed to pay off. 8th in V40 but took points for 7th. Literally just bought some tubs (as in collected off the seller at Berko).

aP it was a very breathless “Hi are you aP off singletrack?!” Through the off camber up-downs, then had to dive into pits right after V40 for the women’s race so couldn’t make a proper introduction. Hope the bridge didn’t cause you too many headaches!

pdw
    Free Member

Was there yesterday too, keeping the bottom half of the senior field warm. Really enjoyed the course. The bridge definitely added some interest.

davidjey
    Free Member

I’ll spare you the details from Welsh League round 11 since the course was obviously dire and the race was too expensive. It was all so badly organised and overpriced I was surprised when anyone apart from me showed up.

Interestingly, BC were there testing bikes for mechanical doping.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I’ll spare you the details from Welsh League round 11 since the course was obviously dire and the race was too expensive. It was all so badly organised and overpriced I was surprised when anyone apart from me showed up.

😀

😯

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

David-Jey was that at Mountain Ranch? Famous for it being HORRENDOUSLY muddy. I’m still unsure how the Welsh league works? How are some rounds chip but others aren’t and therefore the pricing varies as does on line entering? It seems a whack way of working.

Central league you always have to pre enter before midnight Tuesday the week before the race £16 (15 plus BC £1 fee on everything) if you have affiliated to the league or £17.50 otherwise. IF you enter on the day I think it is about £20.

We have chip timing at every race with LIVE racing results, which is fab. Crashtestmonkey loved watching me on line have a battle at a race a few weeks ago!

I heard rumors there was a Welsh race on 31st December is this correct? Where and do I need to enter online?

davidjey
    Free Member

I’m still unsure how the Welsh league works?

We all line up at the start and pedal (or occasionally run) as fast we can until somebody wins.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Ha ha thanks for that there wee input 😉 I meant as in some races are chipped others aren’t, prices vary, online entry varies.

davidjey
    Free Member

some races are chipped others aren’t, prices vary, online entry varies

And the problem with this is…..? It’s as simple as: check BC website, find race, either enter in advance or turn up with a tenner* if its entry on the day. Checking directions to a venue I’ve not been to before, or deciding how many pairs of gloves to pack, causes me more logistical headaches.

Given that you race central league, why are you even so bothered how welsh league is run?!

*all unchipped races are still consistently a tenner, which is very good value compared to what other bikes races/events cost.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

There is no problem. It was a valid question. Sorry I struck a nerve there I thought it was a valid question as they all work differently. I was interested in Welsh league as I raced that CX league back in the 90’s and it hadn’t changed much so it was just a query, as it wasn’t easy to follow. Don’t worry I shall leave it there and ask someone else about 31st instead. Thanks.

aP
    Free Member

Crashtestmonkey- yes, that was me, i heard you gasp it then you were off…. I was out with the trainee comm to see how the course was riding out there. Was a long day yesterday, got there at 7:40, left at 4…
    We had a lot of discussion over the bridge.

ferrals
    Free Member

david jey – Member

😆 Someones feeling a bit grumpy about cross season ending!

Course looked fun in the pictures. Strava suggests you had a good result?

Can’t believe the bike checking, guess they had some new toys and wanted to test them. Probably get more results breathalising this time of year!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Ferrals come across the border! We have 3 central league, 2 Wessex league and Western league love
    Crossed

vinnyeh

not sure about the dolls head…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Given that you race central league, why are you even so bothered how welsh league is run?!

because she’s Welsh, has a Welsh club (of which she was one of the founding members) as a second claim, and was 3rd Senior female in the Welsh National Champs? Is everyone involved in the Welsh League so defensive and reluctant to take feedback? We’ll be competing in races hosted by 5 different Leagues this year, so are interested to compare and contrast how different leagues run. Weirdly some of them even invite feedback in order to develop and improve 🙄

We had a lot of discussion over the bridge.

The feedback on the FB page is overwhelmingly positive, but there were a few crashes one of which created a logjam in the womens/V50 race and I can see it being a real concern if you were responsible for safety. I hope they include it next year, though I can see the steep side being made more shallow.

weeksy

HAhahaha, that’s brilliant 🙂

davidjey
    Free Member

Just to clarify: I’m not involved in the Welsh League, by which I mean I don’t lift a finger to help with running things. I just turn up and race.

I do however appreciate that an awful lot of folk do an awful lot of running around to make these races happen, and they are doing it for the love of the sport and not much other reward. And when that’s the case, these people deserve praise and (bearing in mind that they are working with limited resources and time, and therefore an appreciation that not every detail might be perfect) constructive criticism. A lot of what I’ve seen on here, and elsewhere, recently isn’t exactly what I’d call constructive criticism.

jonba
    Free Member

Up in the NE have two leagues. CXNE and NECCL. The former is BC, chip timed, gridded and very professionally run on courses that meet all the official design criteria. The latter (of which I’m secretary and organise a race) is far more informal. Courses are marked just enough, we use singletrack and mtb tracks when appropriate. Griding is based on reputation. Run under the TLI this makes it far cheaper. £10 for a licence. £7 per race. Get 5 from 8 rounds in and you get a finishers prize. Rather than have big prizes for league and race winners we re distribute the income from the year to all who raced. It normally covers your entry fee to 3 races.

Could be an option for others wanting informal racing. I think there are just over 20 CX races in the NE through the season. CXNE, NECCL a couple of one offs and a round of the nationals. Some superp talent coming through on the back of this! One of the CXNE juniors won the Koppenberg CX!

News: Win for Mein at Koppenberg

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

A lot of what I’ve seen on here, and elsewhere, recently isn’t exactly what I’d call constructive criticism.

all fair points and appreciate you defending their hard work, but M-C was asking genuine Qs about the league, not bashing it (she’s planning to come back for a NYE race there when I’m working, hence the Q). We have full chip timing in both local leagues (we overlap Central and Wessex regions) this year, they are managed differently and Central has live timing online and on a laptop and flatscreen on-site which has proved very popular and saves the commies/organisers being badgered by 300 riders for their placing. We both raced the Welsh Nats, and we’ve also entered Tang’s Lovecrossed and the Boxing Day race on Kenilworth Common in the Midlands so it’s interesting to see what’s done differently, what works better, how courses and fields compare etc.

Jonba we had a summer series this year which was pretty much a one-man-band organisation and ‘low rent’ – gridding was a free-for-all based on honesty and actually seemed to be good natured and self policing. The fields are small enough for it to be Juniors, Men, and women with no sub categories. It’s on the same site but the course varies every week, and they usually manage to get the placings on FB before the next round. No BC points, no prizes, no league position just hot, dry, dusty racing.

davidjey
    Free Member

OK so I’ll answer the original question to the best of my knowledge: chip timing is in its infancy in Welsh League and this is the first year it’s been used to any great extent (yes I know, 2005 called etc etc).

My understanding is that it has been left down to the individual organisers of each round whether they use chip timing or not. Welsh Cycling have their own chip timing system and so this has been used for some rounds, but some organisers have sourced their own timing provider.

It’s been about a 60/40 split between chip timing and the judges writing numbers on a clipboard this season. Bar the odd teething problem (it took about 48 hours for the results to emerge for a couple of the chip-timed rounds) results have been available same day for the chip timed rounds.

ferrals
    Free Member

That’s my understanding too, I think GR considered it for MM, but as not everyone was using decided to hold fire.

Which New Year’s Eve race? If you’re talking about the GOwer Riders organised one at Penyrheol, please be aware it’s a fun race, dont think we got results beyond 1st,second, third, think last year we just raced for half an hour, proper fancy dress is compulsory, if I remember rightly all youth, adult and junior went off together with a Le Mans running to the bike start. The course is short and less able racers were encouraged to take shortcuts last year. It’s brilliant fun but just wanted to make that clear in case you were thinking it was a proper league style race. I will probably come and heckle, maybe race – think I have my Santa outfit still with last years mud on 🙂

mooman
    Free Member

Munqe-chick … its an unofficial race being organised. So I not too sure if posting details on here would be the best/safest thing. Its pretty much out there for those who have done the Welsh league this year … I`m pretty sure if you know somebody they will pass details onto you.

ps.
    We not all grumpy in the Welsh league (probably just those born on the wrong side of the bridge)

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Ha Ha Mooman thanks. Yes I shall speak to the club then. Thanks for that! I was born right side of the bridge so all okay 🙂 see you there. Festive 500 around 2 CX races in that period is going to be fun!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Mooman my inside info has now told me it’s been cancelled.

IdleJon

If you’re talking about the GOwer Riders organised one at Penyrheol, please be aware it’s a fun race, dont think we got results beyond 1st,second, third, think last year we just raced for half an hour, proper fancy dress is compulsory, if I remember rightly all youth, adult and junior went off together with a Le Mans running to the bike start. The course is short and less able racers were encouraged to take shortcuts last year. It’s brilliant fun but just wanted to make that clear in case you were thinking it was a proper league style race. I will probably come and heckle, maybe race – think I have my Santa outfit still with last years mud on

Ooh, just added something else to the Xmas break diary! 😀

aP
    Free Member

I understand that the Herne Hill New Years Day Madison Cross will be on again on the 1st Jan.
    There’s also a new Boxing Day event in south-east London, can’t find the details at the moment, though.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

There’s a fun looking one in Newbury too! 3 difference races so a sprint fastest lap, a devil race (elimination) then a shorter CX race and combined times! Shame I’m off back to Cardiff and now no longer a CX race 🙁 guess I’ll have to schlep up the Garth for fun instead 🙂

ferrals
    Free Member

It’s a good laugh Jon. Last year:

IdleJon

The only fancy dress available to me is my wife’s elf costume! 😳

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Steady now, Jon…

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

I’m helping the organisers of the New Years Day race in Newbury that Munge-chick mentioned above, it’s going to be great fun with a Cx sprint time trial, an elimination race and a normal but short xc race, points will be awarded based in your finishing position of each race and your final position will be based on you total points.

To add a little more fun I hear that a foam machine has been booked…

More information and online entry is here http://my1.raceresult.com/64947/?lang=en

mooman
    Free Member

Munqe-chick – Member
    Mooman my inside info has now told me it’s been cancelled.

I been ill last week or so – so not spoken to anybody. Will check with the Boss whats happening now.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Anyone doing the Boxing Day CX at Kenilworth? Or got top tips! Never been before saw it on FB looks cool so me and crashtesmonkey are off to burn off some mince pies and christmas cake 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Anyone else still racing? Or just us in Central league it’s all gone a bit quiet!

Jase
    Free Member

I raced Rockingham yesterday (V40), loved the course and no bike breakages between me and my daughter 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

Anyone else still racing?

I’m marshalling at Tangs Cotswold http://www.lovecrossed.co.uk on 29/01/17, come and jump my boards:

[/url]Two 9″ boards for the local cyclocross race. by martinddd, on Flickr[/img]

race and then enjoy the mens worlds CX on a big screen in a 16c hall 😀

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Jase if you mean the Central round at Corby I raced V40 too, and MC raced wimmin. Glad to finish with bikes intact (that course killed all 3 of ours last year) but it took bike changes to do it – my decent bike has Sram which seems quite fragile so I’ve started relying a bit more on my pit bike with Tiagra 🙄 Small field too, lots of people put off by the weather.

edit; Qwerty, MC and I have already entered. We’re doubling up with saturday and sunday races the next 2 weekends 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 293 total)

The topic ‘2016-17 CX racing thread’ is closed to new replies.